Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Create-a-Mage

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It is. Not that I've seen a single episode or anything, i just know where it's from and I liked the image.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle shounen jump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bird of Hermes View Post
    It is. Not that I've seen a single episode or anything, i just know where it's from and I liked the image.
    Good call. That image of his meshes well with what you wrote about him.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bird of Hermes View Post
    Thanks. As for the monster, she's Berserker of Black in Fate Apocrypha and also appeared on the London chapter of Grand Order.

As for Dante, I never watched the 2005 version of FMA.
    I'm not familiar enough with either to say I know much about that, but I do know she's Berserker of Black, and the always wears a wedding dress. I could tell that it was Berserker as soon as you called it 'she,' so what I was asking was whether he's truly escaped her. Well, I guess he has? If she's a heroic sporit, I should assume she died at some point.

The FMA 2005 anime is given a lot of crap for having an unsatisfying ending, and I can't blame the haters; it is extremely unsatisfying. I finished watching the movie and I was giving my TV a weird look, and just said "What?!"
    However, this does not mean it is a bad show. In fact, I might argue that overall, it's better than Brotherhood, with a better musical score, a better voice for Alphonse (though Maxie Whitehead did a valiant job of getting the voice right), and it's capacity to give its audience a lot to think about. The homunculi are more interesting too. And then the movie's excellent right up until the very end, where it just makes you really really angry, but hey, that's what Brotherhood is for.

Come to think of it, someobe should do an Amestrian-style alchemist mage. It it even possible to make that work?
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    I'm not familiar enough with either to say I know much about that, but I do know she's Berserker of Black, and the always wears a wedding dress. I could tell that it was Berserker as soon as you called it 'she,' so what I was asking was whether he's truly escaped her. Well, I guess he has? If she's a heroic sporit, I should assume she died at some point.

Come to think of it, someobe should do an Amestrian-style alchemist mage. It it even possible to make that work?
    In the book, Frankenstein died in madness and the monster immolated itself.

You could always give the Amestrian alchemist style a shot yourself.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I can't really remember what kind of person Victor Frankenstein was, if he was a hammy megalomaniac, earnest scientist/magician mentality where he must discover the secrets of the universe, SCIENCE IS EVIL man must not know or ultimately a tortured man who couldn't accept responsibility even to the very end?

マリーの味方
    He did acknowledge his mistake, and blamed himself for all the deaths. He was even willing to create the bride before he heard the end of the creature's story, but didn't want to risk creating another creature when he knew what they were capable of, so he sacrificed his own happiness instead.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Kazuma Renard

Bio:
    Kazuma is a twenty-two-year-old French-born Japanese man who presently lives in London, working indirectly with the Clock Tower. He's a fourth generation mage, however his mother was a non-magus, and he was born with far fewer magic circuits than if he were born to an arranged marriage. As punishment for this, his grandfather had his father killed and then hung the headless corpse of his own son from the eaves of their house. This took place when Kazuma was thirteen.

Kazuma was aware of his father's heritage and of his research: Like many mages, he was devoting all of his resources toward reaching the Root. Feeling that he was at least partially responsible for his father's death, he decided to risk joining the Mage's Association with a few family friends' kids, and to study at the Clock Tower, at least part-time. His mother, traumatized by her husband's brutal murder, though recovering with the help of a therapist, was against his decision, but allowed him to go as long as he had friends who could protect him.

He is acquainted with Lord El-Melloi II, having joined his class, and self-improvement research programs. They have an average student-teacher relationship, with Lord El-Melloi thinking that he's way too soft, though not so much as some others who's names he hasn't mentioned. Over the years he spent at the Clock Tower, both his, and his mother's mental health gradually improved after his father's gruesome death, though she never came to accept his decision to become a mage, and has refused to talk with him about his studies. She would listen to what he has to say about his friends and teachers, but nothing about what he actually does there.

When he was nineteen however, several students looking to gain prestige, decided that as he was a disgrace to the Association, and tried to have him killed without any provocation, and even received an anonymous donation for that purpose. It was from his grandfather, naturally. This attempt failed, but this was not the first attempt on his life anyway, just the first without provocation, so he decided shortly thereafter that he would secede from the Association, a decision that his mother was thrilled with until she discovered that he was still hanging into several connections. She's still happier than of he were a full member however.

Even though he's French, he doesn't speak with an accent associated with the country.

Magecraft:
    As a child, Kazuma suffered from nightmares. He no longer does, however it is not due to psychological training or therapy, but rather, the fact that his particular form of magecraft has stolen his ability to dream anything with any complexity. In exchange however, he now has a certain extent of control over his subconscious mind—and can superimpose parts of it onto reality as well. The monsters from his nightmares now show up only to defend him. He's a little worried that he might receive a sealing designation due to the fact that his ability is so close in concept to a reality marble. In fact, it /is a reality marble, he just has no hope of ever being able to make it manifest on his own. He calls his particular brand of projection/summoning magecraft Waking Dream.

Personality:
    Though Kazuma most certainly takes after his father, his personality is far more like his mother's and it shows in his behavior.

He has a strong set of morals, a very human outlook on the world. He views magecraft as a tool to be used in daily life rather than just a cacophonous multitude of abstract means to reaching a single, even more abstract end, and that should never be used for anything else.
    This philosophy has not earned him friends at the Clock Tower, and there have been instances in which other mages have attempted to kill him for it.

He's unusually helpful for a mage, offering to assist others with their magecraft by giving them insight into his own research. The only thing he won't share is his father's original research. This generosity has not earned him any friends either, and he has also been attacked when he offered his assistance to other mages. In a few of those instances, it wasn't even because the struggling mage in question didn't trust him, or didn't want to reveal any secrets, but actually because he was offering to help.

He has since come to the conclusion that basic human decency is an unforgivable crime in the mage community, punishable by the most inhumane, gruesome and messy death the attacker currently has available at their disposal, and now tries not to interact with those he doesn't already know. Thus he has become rather isolated. The only teacher he is still on good terms with is Lord El-Melloi II, and he avoids most other students, which is a shame considering that there's a certain redheaded idiot currently still enrolled whom he would likely get along with spectacularly.

Projected Beasts:

Howler
    Howler: Close in shape to a dog, this creature has horns, tusks, jagged bony spines along the sides of its back, and possesses the ability to spit globules of acid.

It can run fast enough to keep pace with a wolf. It also attacks much like a wolf would, using claws and fangs, but it also is capable of using its tusks and horns to gore enemies. And it's acid attack, while not immediately lethal, is still fairly corrosive and will start to burn away flesh after approximately fifteen seconds after contact with another body. Fortunately for victims, it also evaporates fairly quickly as well.

As its name suggests, it's signature ability is a shrill howl that can induce headaches, and is also capable of briefly stunning any who hear it.

Kazuma once had a dream that he was being chased by wolves. These were what the wolves looked like in his nightmare. The acid is his own touch.

Kazuma can summon up to four at a time.

Flarewing
    Flarewing: This wyvern-like monster has wings, talons, and a fairly serpentine body. It has a fang-filled mouth, and can breathe fire.

Luckily for enemies, it isn't very big, or at least no taller than the average human. In fact, it stands only as tall as Kazuma himself. Of course, it still looks bigger than it really is, considering that one generally has to look up at it. Because they're cumbersome on the ground, they stay airborne for most of the time.

Shadow Walkers
    Shadow walkers: Eerie, vaguely human-shaped creatures that, predictably, look like three dimensional shadows, that glide along the ground. Glowing red and yellow eyes and hands with long, grasping, clawed fingers and strangely long arms make them disturbing opponents to be sure. The only sound they make is the sound of slightly labored breathing. And as they're almost entirely incorporeal, they're very difficult to do away with. However, in the same way, not all of their attacks can actually physically interact with their target(s).

These were the monsters of Kazum's childhood, having had frequent recurring nightmares about being dragged away by such monsters.

They're very good at surprise attacks, and are very frightening creatures to run into at night.

Kazuma can summon twenty of these creatures at a time from what he's tested.

Fox?
    Fox?: After the death of his adopted Servant, Tamamo-no-Mae, he suddenly finds himself capable of summoning a three-tailed fox as well. Is it because he fell in love with her, or is there something even stranger in play here?

Whatever the case, should he ever summon her again, the fox will not appear for him anymore. Was it…? No, it couldn't be…

EXTRA Skill
    EXTRA: With the help of a Caster class Servant, he can summon a lot more creatures, and can even create new designs on the spot. He takes a liking to making fake dragons.
    Last edited by Draconic; September 22nd, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Thinking about a magus-Lord with the origin Ouroboros who received a Sealing Designation simply because he was so despicable; going against the Magi morality of "the young stand on the shoulders of the old" and eating them, their soul, their magic and their youth.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Sealing Designations are technically honors. They're not gonna bestow an honor on someone they actually just want to disappear. Like, they didn't declare a Sealing Designation on any or all of Yggdmillennia when they left the Association. They just sent a force to eliminate them.

And speaking of Yggdmillennia, soul eating for youth is also depicted and, while noteworthy, IIRC they don't mention anything about it being the kind of thing magi particularly balk at.

That's troublesome. Considering how traditionalist Mages are supposed to be, I'd expect a renegade who disregards convention like passing crests to descendants would be hated with extreme prejudice.

Do mages (in general) even have a morality beyond "keep it quiet" in regards to their behavior?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PBlades View Post
    That's troublesome. Considering how traditionalist Mages are supposed to be, I'd expect a renegade who disregards convention like passing crests to descendants would be hated with extreme prejudice.

Do mages (in general) even have a morality beyond "keep it quiet" in regards to their behavior?
    a proper magus wouldn't give a shit about what other people are doing and just do their own thing in their own basement
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Truly,
    NEET
    Magus
    is a majestic existence. Thanks for the answers tho.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    And speaking of Yggdmillennia, soul eating for youth is also depicted and, while noteworthy, IIRC they don't mention anything about it being the kind of thing magi particularly balk at.
    its the equivalent of taking really hard drugs imo
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

I got an idea for a magus that focuses on artifacts, tools, and mystic codes. Although they have gone through hard times, since they now lack animals and ores to make their best tools from, they still have the best mystic codes in the world.

Their method of obtaining the root? Basically creating the holy grail. A method of drilling down into the root, using magecraft alone.

They are also a group of mages that use mystic codes as a form of transhumanism. Implantation of mystic codes into their body, as well as alterations to themselves to improve spellcasting, intelligence, and memory, is not rare as well. They may include in a small capsule that is capable of storing prana, to increase their store of magical energy. Or maybe alter their brains so as to have a perfect memory, preventing loss of knowledge from destruction of research notes.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewayroad View Post
    They may include in a small capsule that is capable of storing prana, to increase their store of magical energy.
    Well, uh, this has already been done. In canon. By the Tohsakas and others that store their energy in objects like gems.

Or maybe alter their brains so as to have a perfect memory, preventing loss of knowledge from destruction of research notes.
    And this is what basically Atlas Alchemists and Magic Crests are for.

Well, uh, this has already been done. In canon. By the Tohsakas and others that store their energy in objects like gems.

And this is what basically Atlas Alchemists and Magic Crests are for.
    TBF, I don't know what Atlas alchemists do.

And also, isn't it better to simply integrate the gem as part of your body?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    They partition their brains to do their calculations, and also make supercomputers to do more calculations. Sion keeps the entire "data" of a person in a partition, for instance. Anyway, I don't think mages particularly have problems (or necessarily, a need) to store their research like you're thinking. It's sorta why they have Magic Crests: everything that's important goes there.

And why integrate something that your body may reject and that you can use other ways than just as backup batteries if you need to?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    atlas alchemists are just big nerds
    trying to make them cool is impossible
    unless the setting is a 90's romantic comedy

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    atlas alchemists are just big nerds
    trying to make them cool is impossible
    unless the setting is a 90's romantic comedy
    I dunno, their uniforms are pretty steampunk, and people think that's cool

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I dunno, their uniforms are pretty steampunk, and people think that's cool
    what does society generally call the people who think steampunk is cool?

...yeah