Page 225 of 680 FirstFirst ... 125175215220223224225226227230235275325 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,500 of 13593

Thread: Fate/strange fake (Free-Range Spoilers)

Route doesn't matter after Rin united them into one continuity. And yeah I am mostly serious while saying that.
    Last edited by Tenzen12; October 12th, 2016 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OtherSideofSky View Post
    You're welcome, and good luck. You've got my permission to work off anything I've done. I still have some editing to do on what I've posted, but it's mostly stylistic things that shouldn't affect what you want to do.

I don't actually see full translations of the profile pages anywhere, now that I look for them. You aren't missing a huge amount, since there are only six so far, and one of those is completely blanked out. I'll do at least the ones in book two as I get to them. The stat parts do appear to be on the wiki, but it lacks the SF NP and skill descriptions.

As for the scene with Francesca that got added to volume 1, I just banged out a draft of it for you. It goes right at the end of the Caster prologue, and the full-body illustration of Francesca comes in the middle of it.

FSF book 1, Francesca scene
    Even an unwritten story, however, has an audience.
    After the officers had left, the room echoed to the sound of delicate applause.
    "...What are you doing here?" The chief grumbled vexedly without turning to look. Obvious disgust showed through in his voice, which he loaded with enough pressure to crush the soul of a small animal.
    Thereupon, the owner of the applause poked her face out of the shadows.
    "What's this? It kind of feels like you're giving me the cold shoulder. Can't I drop in even if I don't have business?"
    It was a girl who appeared to be in her mid teens. She wore a gothic lolita-style dress with black and white keynotes, and clasped an over-decorated umbrella despite being indoors.
    "At the very least, this is no place for outsiders."
    "Oh, so I'm an outsider now? You've sure gotten high and mighty, newbie."
    The girl giggled and twirled her umbrella. Despite her peevish remarks, she gave the impression of being in high spirits.
    "Still, that was a masterpiece. How'd it go? 'You are justice'? What a performance. If I was judging the Golden Raspberry Awards, I wouldn't hesitate to nominate you for Worst Actor!"
    "I wasn't trying to put on a show. I only stated the truth."
    "Oh? What's this? Could it be that you seriously believe you're justice? You're one of the perpetrators of this grand scam, remember."
    "I am."
    The girl burst into a cackle at the chief's unflinching response.
    "Wow! I wish I had your nerve! That's not very patriotic, is it? I mean, f you really loved this country, you'd never call all this 'just'!"
    "It may be true that I am no patriot, and no pious man of God, but I do take pride in the fact that my actions are the results of just beliefs." Sounding more as if he was trying to convince himself than the girl, the chief continued: "Of course, I won't claim that our justice matches the Grail's. Should circumstances demand it, we may end up making enemies of not only the Association and the Church, but the Grail War system itself as well."
    "Don't worry so much. Ruler won't be in this War."
    The girl waved a hand as she spoke, as if to mock the words the chief had uttered with such determination.
    "What?"
    The next instant, the tone of the girl's smile suddenly changed.
    "And even if Ruler does show up after it switches over to the real Grail War, it'll be too late."
    It was still an innocent smile, but now it had taken on the cruel look of a child rhythmically stomping on a line of ants.
    "The Snowfield Holy Grail War will be elevated from a fake to the real deal, and veer off course. Once that happens, Ruler won't be able to stop it, or even intervene. We'll be able to rape the Grail War all we want!" Her breath whitened as she went on triumphantly, sunk in ecstasy. "Don't you see how wonderful this is? I never thought I'd get another chance to have my way with that holy maiden, then turn her into a pile of cinders that aren't even good for pig slop! Oh, it's incredible! It's the best! I hope Ruler does come! I couldn't manage to break her spirit back then, but this time she won't be a hero whose work is done! She'll die as a Ruler who wasn't able to do her duty! I'm sure that will get to her!"
    At that point, her smile suddenly returned to normal and her excitement leveled out.
    "Don't you think it's just wonderful?" She asked the chief.
    His answer, however, was curt.
    "...I will do it if it becomes necessary, but I do not consider it a laudable action."
    "You're so uptight. A real stick in the mud," the girl teasingly addressed him, twirling her umbrella. "Don't you ever get tired of being a hero? It's so much easier when you know you're the bad guy, you know? Whatever you do, you can just pass it off with a 'Because I'm the bad guy.' Acting crazy is easy, too. You can just pass off anything you do with a 'Because I'm crazy.'"
    Then, with a malicious narrowing of her eyes, she added a final, sarcastic remark.
    "Oh, but justice works the same way! Sorry about that!"
    With that, the girl turned to go, but she abruptly stopped, looked back, and asked the chief:
    "Oh, that's right, didn't Mr. Fake Caster want a woman? If he does, why don't I go and keep him company?"
    "Hurry up and return to headquarters. Without any unnecessary detours."
    Getting a response pregnant with rage so intense it was practically homicidal, the girl shrugged her shoulders and turned her back on the chief again.
    "Yes, yes, I'll wait my turn like a good girl..."

After he had watched the girl open the door normally and go, the chief spat:
    "Play the mastermind as long as you can, you old bitch."
    But there was no smile on his face, and no sense of composure... Anyone who saw him would have taken his words for the excuses of a sore loser.

But even if they were, his mind would remain unclouded. His conviction had already reached a place beyond his pride, or even his life.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! You are a life-saver, I mean it, really. My inner perfectionist can rest in peace at last x) I'll be looking forward to your next translation efforts)

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    I don't mind but I can't allow any commercial use. That means no revenue. e.g. don't host it on your site and then ask for donations for "server costs only".

That aside, it is always much better to work from the original language to avoid further loss of fidelity. Can you find someone who can help with that?

Thank you) I understand that and take all responsibility. I'm just a guy who translates for own pleasure and my friends are a bunch of dedicated TM-fans who want just to enjoy the story, so no commercial use, I assure you.
    I also understand that work with orginal text is much better. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to find Japanese-reading person in my country, but I'm trying to find someone and I hope I will)

...I just realized this thing got translated post-volume 1. How ignorant I am.
    My very very late thanks for all translators.

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff...
    Thanks for the translations...

Welp, She really just wants to see the world burn.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

夜魔 Nightmare
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    The profiles were translated here http://blogs.nrvnqsr.com/blog.php/22...g=Strange+Fake

Here's the full chapter 5. The new material starts at "Coalsman Special Corrections Center," and is all about Faldeus and True Assassin. The first part of that is new, but the final scene has already translated elsewhere in this thread.

FSF Chapter 5 complete
    Chapter 5: Day 1, Dawn
    The Shadow in the Dark

The police station. Rear parking lot.

"...What's that?"
    Ayaka and Saber, who had escaped the police station through the back entrance, heard gunshots and looked up from the rear parking lot. They saw a man in the act of leaping from the edge of the roof to the building next door, and a priest stretching out his arm toward him. Then, with a fluid motion, the priest's arm appeared to stretch to several times its length, only for a shell to fire from its mechanical-looking end, striking the man directly and causing a small explosion. Just like that, the man was blasted into a window of the adjacent hotel.
    A little later, the priest — whose arm had returned to its original length — leapt toward the hotel with several swords in each hand.
    The hotel might be next door, but there were still more than ten meters between it and then police station. Far enough that any normal human, even a running long jump world champion, would fall. The priest, however, leapt it easily, and vanished into the hotel.
    "Am I dreaming...? Or were those 'Heroic Spirits'?"
    "Don't you feel something when you look at me?" Saber asked anxiously.
    "You're hitting on me at a time like this? Give me a break..."
    "No. You are indeed a charming woman, but that's not what I meant. Don't you get a sort of picture of my physical and magical strength when you look at me? It might pop into your head clearly written out, or..."
    "I'm not really sure what you're talking about..."
    "I see..." Saber pondered, hearing Ayaka's puzzled tone. "Perhaps because you really aren't a proper Master..."
    "What do you mean?"
    "I'll take time to explain it properly later. It's pointless if you can't see it, anyway. Right now, the important thing is that you can't distinguish between ordinary humans and Heroic Spirits. It won't be a problem with ones whose appearances stand out, but a lot of Heroic Spirits look no different from ordinary humans when changed into civilian clothes."
    When he got to that point, Saber checked his own attire, then looked at the paling sky in the distance, and muttered:

"I'd like to procure civilian clothes myself, but... Yes, it's just dawn now. I shall leave these grounds, as I declared I would."

X X

Inside the hotel.

The hotel next door to the police station had been ranked as the safest accommodation in the city, purely due to its location. That evaluation, however, was about to be overturned.
    No sooner had sounds of gunfire and explosions resounded from the surrounding area without warning than a shockwave struck the building, causing damage in one of the guest rooms. It luckily happened to be unoccupied, but the damage to the hotel's reputation was unavoidable.
    While the hotel staff were running around, unable to get an objective grasp of the situation... the priest who had trespassed into the hotel through the damaged room was ultimately unable to locate Jester.
    He had completely erased his presence, and even his magical energy had completely cut off. In its place were a number of injured people, who lay groaning on the hallway floor. They had probably been roused by the sounds of gunfire from the direction of the police station, and come out into the corridor. There were women and children among them, and some were bleeding from cut arms.
    "Hey, are you alright?"
    "Ngh... What...?"
    The shocked victims appeared not to realize what had happened to them.
    "Staunch your wounds with cloth. I'll call an ambulance right away," he said, but if the Dead Apostle had done something to them, he could not just allow them to be taken to a municipal hospital. Carelessness could lead to a massive outbreak of living corpses. If that happened, the Holy Grail War would be the least of his worries.
    They don't look like they've been cursed or had their blood sucked, but...
    Then Hansa noticed a shivering child watching him from the shadow of the stairs.
    "Hey, boy. You see anything?"
    The pale-faced boy, not yet ten years old, nodded.
    "A scary man... shouted, 'Out of my way!'... Then he..."
    "Do you know which way the scary man went?"
    "...He disappeared."
    "...I see. I'm glad you're alright. You'll be safe now."
    I see. He left them alive to slow me down.
    Hansa lightly patted the boy on his shaking head, then took out his cell phone.
    "It's me. One of you handle the suggestion on the crowd, and the other three surround the building. He might be mixed in with the evacuees, so be careful. Don't overlook anyone suspicious."
    When he was done issuing orders, Hansa heaved a little sigh, and muttered:

"Good grief... A Dead Apostle after the Holy Grail; it really is the end of the world."

X X

Main Street. Near the police station.

"Please stop."
    A woman stood in Ayaka and Saber's way as they tried to leave the police station. She was a young brunette, but her features were hard to make out. That was because she wore an odd mask that covered her eyes. The center of the blindfold, which could have been cloth and could have been leather, was adorned with a cross. Her whole body was covered by something like a black wetsuit, and more odd decorations were visible in various places on the body-fitting fabric. A pure white cloth wrapped around her arm fluttered. Ayaka wondered if she was part of a circus.
    "I'm terribly sorry, but I've been told to investigate any suspicious people in this area."
    "You seem a lot more suspicious to me," Ayaka said, knitting her brows. Then she noticed: There were large crowds of curious onlookers milling about, even on the rear side of the buildings, but none of their eyes paused on the suspiciously-dressed woman.
    Huh? Could it be that I'm the only one who can see her?
    A chill ran down her spine. Her mind flashed back to a little girl in a red hood. She was on the verge of panic.
    "It's an attention-deflecting barrier," Saber explained in an attempt to reassure her. "Most likely the power of that cloth on her arm. She's choosing to show herself to just us, so don't worry, Ayaka. Still, this smell that's been hanging over the area around the police station... It must be some sort of incense to facilitate mass hypnosis."
    "Mass hypnosis?"
    "They probably want to conceal the fight between the monster and the priest we just saw. The Holy Church's hunters don't change, even after 800 years. Still, surely you can tell whether I'm a monster, or something else?"
    The strangely-dressed woman heard Saber's words, and bowed respectfully.
    "I take you to be Servant and Master. Excuse me."
    "No need to apologize. Devotion to one's duty is a virtue," Saber said, and then caught sight of people beginning to evacuate the hotel one after another.
    "Is the vampire... still in that hotel?"
    "Yes. We have placed barriers over the entrances and exits; they will react if the Dead Apostle crosses them."
    "Does that mean the vampire might leave?"
    "Yes," the mysterious woman nodded matter-of-factly. Her words made Ayaka glance at Saber.
    "I'd rather not get dragged into trouble, so... I'll be leaving."
    "I suppose you're right. I'll accompany you."
    "You really don't have to..."
    Heaving an exasperated sigh, Ayaka put the area behind her at a brisk pace. She could hear a voice behind her saying, "If you find the time, please come to the central church. The overseer must have something to discuss with the Masters," but that had nothing to do with her.
    "Unfortunately... I'm not a Master. Sorry."
    "?"
    Behind the confused-looking woman, a stream of guests continued to evacuate the hotel. One child, mixed in among them, shot a glance in Ayaka and the others' direction. Including the woman from the Church, who ought to have been shielded by her attention-deflecting barrier.

The child whose head Hansa had patted shortly before saw the woman executor, and flashed a smile that was far from innocent. Then he thought to himself, conscious of the Command Seals that had moved to his back:
    Ugh. And here I'd thought to take a breather after tiring myself out.
    Once he had stood with the evacuees for a while, the boy quietly slipped out of line, and vanished into the dawn city. Neither passing through the executors's barriers, nor being showered in the rays of the rising sun posed any problem to him now. Because now Jester Karture's body was not that of a Dead Apostle; it was the body of an ordinary human boy.
    And that boy murmured, with a smile of childish innocence that belied the twisted lust beneath stamped on his features:

"I wonder if Miss Assassin will come back soon!"

X X

The police station.

"Are you alright?"
    The police station had become a battlefield. The Holy Church's executors had administered their suggestion well, and it appeared that the incident would be settled as an attack by the friends of an arrested armed robber in an attempt to save him from prison. The lobby and parking lot, however, still bore fresh wounds, and the officers were covered in injuries.
    That was the atmosphere that pervaded the station's medical room, where the officer who had lost his right hand to the Dead Apostle was receiving treatment. He appeared to be undergoing a healing spell from a female officer whose with a large sickle Noble Phantasm, and the flow of blood from the wound was just stopping. Regenerating his lost hand, however, would require an exceedingly high level of healing magecraft. There was always the option of fitting him with an ordinary prosthetic hand, but he could not hope to return to the front lines any time soon in that condition.
    "You have to understand. We'll take it from here."
    "...No, I can do it. Please give me a chance."
    "With that wound? Next time we might be fighting the King of Heroes, or Saber, or Rider, who we don't even have data on. Can you guarantee that you won't get in the way in a harsher battle than the one against Assassin?"
    "I..."
    The officer ground his teeth in frustration.
    He was the most positive about this operation, the chief thought.
    One of the police officers with magic circuits — descendants of stray mages — whom he had gathered from across the country. At first the chief had thought of them as mere pawns, but when he had discovered those filled with zeal, like this man, he had revised his opinion somewhat.
    That was precisely why he could not allow him to die needlessly. Because the chief needed someone to succeed him after he lost this war and died, for the sake of the next opportunity.
    "You still have a future. Don't throw it away for nothing."
    "But... I want to protect this city's future."
    "What do you mean?"
    "If we were only up against Heroic Spirits, I might have given up. But what will happen to the city if we leave vicious people like him to their own devices...? I can't let it go, not as a mage, but as a police officer."
    The man was barely in his thirties. The chief sighed as he answered.
    "I value your spirit, but I cannot put us all in danger in the blind belief that where there's a will, there's a way. If you say you can still fight, prove that you can handle your weapon with one hand, or with a prosthetic one."
    "...I'll try."
    The young officer's voice was full of fighting spirit. The chief was wondering whether he ought to address him at greater length, when the phone in his breast pocket rang, and forced a break in the conversation.
    "...It's me."
    "Hey there, bro! That sure was a disaster! A vampire! Imagine that. You sure you wouldn't have been better off summoning Frankenstein instead of yours truly, and getting him to whip you up a big batch of monsters?"
    The chief sighed at Caster's usual demeanor, then replied coolly.
    "If that was a joke, I'm not laughing. There were no actual fatalities, but we still have seriously injured people here."
    "Come on, don't be that way. Ya can't have a war without somebody getting hurt. You realize you got real lucky not to lose anyone against that monster? I should be able to up the power on your equipment based on this experience."
    "I'll be looking forward to it."
    It was a heartfelt statement. Just as they themselves needed to gain more experience, it was also necessary to raise the limits of their Noble Phantasms. They weren't drawing out their full power yet, but one by one they would manage to release their true names and unleash their full potential. Most Noble Phantasms, such as Excalibur or Gae Bolg, were able to demonstrate their maximum power only when one intoned their true names. If all the officers managed to achieve that, then victory against the higher-ranking Heroic Spirits would finally be in sight.
    "At the moment, the one closest to releasing its true name is... Why, bro, it's that Japanese sword of yours."
    "I see. I'll get the rest caught up soon," the chief declared, at the same time telling himself that he could not afford to be overly optimistic.
    "By the way, bro," Caster added, "the thing from that Shishigō guy came in."
    "...Good. He works as fast as they say. Fast enough that I wish I could have brought him in as a Master on our side."
    "Shishigō" was the name of a freelance mage known for his remarkable ability. The chief had paid him a large sum of money to acquire a certain object. He had estimated that there was a fifty-fifty chance of it arriving in time for the Grail War. The fact that it had come so soon could be called the silver lining on the dark cloud hanging over him.
    As if to prove it, Caster reported his findings on the other end of the phone.
    "If I work on this thing, I bet it'll cut to the heart of most anything, Heroic Spirit or vampire."
    What he said next, however, defied the chief's expectations.
    "I'll make it for the wounded lad lying next to ya, bro. To replace the dagger that got eaten up."
    "...If he proves that he can fight."
    "Yeah. I'll be waiting, ya hear? In the meantime, I'll be rehydrating dried goods from the age of the gods, and making the ultimate weapon."
    Caster spoke as if he was certain that the officer would recover. Then he spoke the thing's name.

"With this hero-killin' hydra venom dagger for a model, it'll take no time at all. Ha ha!"

X X

Western Snowfield. The great forest.

Deep in the woods, several kilometers removed from the city... the woman Assassin crouched, repenting her own immaturity.
    How can this be...? What a fool I've been.
    She had barely questioned the fact that her magical energy was never exhausted. She had only been looking ahead. Her duty had been all she could see.
    And this was the result. She had used the arts of the great chiefs with magical energy given her by a monster.
    I have defiled the chiefs' great works. I am no longer qualified... to so much as call myself a believer...
    They were many reasons why she had not been chosen as the chief of the assassins, the "Old Man of the Mountain," beginning with the fact that those around her had feared her fanaticism. One of those given, however, had been that she was simply too honest for an assassin.
    In the affair at the police station, no ordinary assassin would have chosen a frontal assault. They might sometimes opt to carry out an assassination in a visible place in order to announce the power of their order to the masses, but the majority of the chiefs who took the name Old Man of the Mountain conducted themselves in manners truly befitting the name "assassin." It was precisely because she was seen more as a warrior than as an assassin that the leaders of her time had feared her becoming chief. They had sensed a risk of the organization changing, and exposing their own vitals on the center stage of politics. The woman Assassin, who lacked self-awareness, had continued to blame her own immaturity.
    Who did I imagine I was? Who am I to pass sentence on the heretical ritual that has led the chiefs astray? Was I not also drawn in by the Holy Grail? Yes, from the first, I have answered the grail's call. It is those who seek the Grail who are summoned to the Holy Grail War.
    Yes, in truth I coveted the Grail. I desired to demonstrate my piety by seeking it out, and destroying it. I wanted to do it to make myself seem important... As a result, I wished for the Grail, and was seen through by the chaos of the Holy Grail War.
    Kneeling on the ground, she felt ashamed of her own weakness.
    Even a heretical ritual such as this was able to see through to my base interior.

Her internal clock warned her that the time had come for prayer, but she considered that her present, defiled self did not have the right to offer them. Instead, she had decided to give herself over to meditation, and confront her own weakness.
    How much time had passed since then? When she slowly rose to her feet, her eyes were filled with a dark, razor gleam.
    It's not over yet.
    Under normal circumstances, she might have given up the fight, her spirit broken. Or she might have compromised, saying, "What does it matter if it's a Dead Apostle's energy?" But she chose to do neither. Nor did she run. She reevaluated her position.
    Even my existence here is God's will. If this time is also part of the "life" allotted me, then... I must do my duty. Flight can never be permitted.
    My duty... has not changed. It is to put an end to this heretical ritual, and... to hunt that monster.
    My own immaturity is no reason to hesitate. I cannot make it an excuse.
    Whether she was acting to settle her own feelings, or for something else, she did not know. Assassin felt ashamed of her own weakness for wasting these minutes crouching here.
    Oh, how immature I am.
    There was no longer any hesitation in her eyes that noted the morning sun filtering through the trees. Having acknowledged her weakness, she had chosen the path of fighting once again.
    What should I use to slay that monster?
    An inhuman devil. It was true that she had once succeeded in crushing his heart with Delusional Heartbeat: Zabaniya. But it was also true that he still existed.
    How many hearts does he have? How can I erase all of him?
    Assassin reconsidered the powers she possessed. Imitations of the chiefs' techniques. But while they were the same in kind, they were not completely identical in strength. She herself considered that all her techniques fell short of the chiefs', their actual effectiveness varied. Some had the same power as the techniques used by the actual Old Men of the Mountain, while others surpassed them, and still others were inferior.
    For example, there was a skill called Delusional Poison Body: Zabaniya, which had once been wielded by an Old Man of the Mountain known as "The Tranquil." The power that "The Tranquil" herself had acquired had been truly fearsome. It had turned every part of her, including all her bodily fluids, her nails and skin, and even her breath, into deadly poison. A dreadful legend told how she had slaughtered an entire army by spreading her poison on the wind.
    Assassin, however, merely mimicked that power temporarily by concentrating poison in her own blood. It was said that this was because she imagined a scenario in which indiscriminately scattering death on her surroundings might result in the deaths of comrades or innocents, and the concentration of the poison was consequently reduced.
    Capricious Fleeting Shadow: Zabaniya was a technique for extending and controlling the hair on her head, but oral tradition had it that the Old Man of the Mountain who had actually used it had been capable of making each strand of their hair as fine as a spider's thread, and lopping off their target's head with no one being any the wiser.
    On the other hand, unknown to Assassin, her Ichor of Reverie: Zabaniya, which manipulated her targets with song beyond the realm of human hearing, surpassed its original in power. Against a large group, as she had used it earlier, its effects ended at jolting her targets' brains and causing their magic circuits to go out of control, but if she concentrated her "song" on a single person, it was capable of bringing the average Servant to their knees, or completely dominating a human brain. The original had not been so powerful. Even if she had known that, however, she would not have accepted it. As far as she was concerned, the instant she had worked it out with her own power, it was an irreplaceable, divine work.

Assassin continued to list the countless techniques that reached the level of Noble Phantasms in her head, and to ponder which was best suited for eliminating the monster. In the midst of her ruminations, however, she felt a faint unease. It was a doubt she had sometimes harbored in life as well.
    "Meditative Sensitivity: Zabaniya" — a technique allowed her to sense every feature of the surrounding terrain as part of her own body. It was the art she had employed to locate the police station's power source. Concerning that technique alone, she could not shake a strange feeling that something was not as it should be.
    It was said that this venerable technique had been used by an Old Man of the Mountain, but in what era they had lived had not been definitely known. Not only to herself, but also to her peers, her instructors, and even to the present Old Man of the Mountain. Only a tradition that an Old Man of the Mountain had used such an art remained. She had attempted to recreate the skill based on that, and yet...
    Was Meditative Sensitivity truly such an ability? Did a chief who wielded an art by that name even exist in the first place?
    Even she, who was called a fanatic, was forced to wonder. Or perhaps it was precisely because she had given everything to copy each and every one of those legendary techniques that she harbored such doubts.

I feel as though... something is being hidden from me. The truth behind the chief who used this Zabaniya...
    At that point, she forced herself to stop wondering. She must not doubt. She was ashamed to have even considered such a thing; it was a sign that she was, indeed, immature.
    Once more she sank into thought to overcome her enemy.

All the while, she felt that weird unease and a fateful premonition that "something might happen" groaning softly in the depths of her heart. Almost as though it was resonating with something.

X X

Coalsman Special Corrections Center.

A short time earlier.
    "Now... It should be just about time."
    Shortly before the police station had come under assault from the woman Assassin, Faldeus had secluded himself in his workshop in the innermost depths of the prison facility. He stood in the center of the workshop, whose mystic accoutrements belied the modern penitentiary above, and slowly steadied his breathing. Various sorts of dolls, from delicate mannequins to ragdolls used for shamanism, were enshrined around him. All of their "eyes" were staring at a pedestal in the center.

Faldeus Dioland.
    He came from a line of puppet-using mages, and was a relative of a mage who had once participated in the Fuyuki Holy Grail War. The third Holy Grail War, which had been conducted before the second World War.
    The tribulations of the mage, who had employed Assassin, had been inscribed as mystic "memories" in the puppets he had used, and transmitted through them to his family. Transmitted widely and unrestrictedly, not only to his heir, but even to distant relations. No member of the clan, however, stepped forward to declare that they would be the one to conquer the Holy Grail War.
    The third Holy Grail War was said to have been thick with taboo spells and evil spirits of the land, broken rule after broken rule. It was only natural for any mage to think twice after viewing such a vivid record of it. Possibly, the more powerful members of the clan may even have noticed that something unwholesome had blended with the Grail. One of them — Faldeus' grandfather — had joined hands with United States politicians and military leaders, and developed a plan.
    A plan to hold a Grail War on their own land.
    It had seemed impossible. After all, the construction of the Great Grail rooted in the earth, the foundation of the Holy Grail War, remained a closely-guarded secret of the Einzberns. Leaving that subject for later, however, they had secured a sacred ground to rival Fuyuki, and gone ahead with the underlying preparations.
    The procurement of useable sacred ground had, in any case, likely been equally indispensible to the government. The Sacred Church was strong in the United States and suppressed any attempt to mix statecraft and magecraft. Such matters had ultimately fallen under the jurisdiction of a single agency.
    They just needed to inch their way closer to the Fuyuki Holy Grail War in a century or two. Even in the national system called "America" were to change, they would continue to develop an organization on that basis. With that determination, they wrested the land from its guardians, and proceeded to tamper with its ley lines on a grand scale.
    Less than a century later, however, around the time Faldeus' father had inherited the enterprise, a major turning point arrived. A mage with connections to the dark side of the state, separate from Faldeus' family, had proposed the possibility of recreating a part of the Great Grail system.
    "I'll steal a piece of the Fuyuki grail for you. All you have to do is cultivate it here."
    What nonsense.
    Or so everyone thought, but the mage in question had shown the government results a number of times in the past, so they could not simply ignore it. But a fake was still a fake, even one cultured from the Great Grail. Its connection to the ley lines would be weak when compared to the complete entity that was the Fuyuki Grail. When Faldeus' father asked if it was really possible to recreate the Grail by such means, the mage had replied:
    "You just have to prime the pump."

"Prime the pump, huh?" Faldeus muttered to himself with a wry smile, remembering the story his father had told him. "That 'priming' made a glass crater on the south side of town. Even irony has limits."
    He let out a big sigh, then wiped the smile from his face and began his mission.

" For elements, silver and iron. For foundation, stone and the Archduke of Contracts..."

The words that flowed from Faldeus' mouth were unmistakably the incantation for summoning an Heroic Spirit. As the chant went on and on, the quality of the air began to change.
    An impossible chant.
    An impossible ritual.
    Any mage who knew of the Grail War would have thought the same. After all, all of the Heroic Spirits had already been summoned. There were to be six Heroic Spirits in Snowfield. Faldeus himself had declared it to Rohngall and the Mages' Association. And it had been no lie.
    The fake Holy Grail War. The Heroic Spirits summoned as parts of a ritual that was both real and fake.
    They were no more than sacrifices. Sacrifices to agitate the ley lines and intensify their waves in a fixed direction. Sacrifices to use the resulting backlash... to begin the real Holy Grail War.

"Emerge from the ring of restraint, O Guardian of the scales...!"

The instant Faldeus finished the chant, radiance filled his workshop. The eyes of the countless dolls enshrined around it reflected the light, and began to rattle, as though to bless the manifestation of the Heroic Spirit. Or as if frightened by the presence of death that filled the room.

Then, the light focused into a single point, and... nothing happened.

"...?"
    As the light vanished, the dolls ceased their clatter. Chilly silence enveloped the workshop.
    "...A failure...?"
    He sensed neither the presence of a Heroic Spirit, nor a bond of magical energy. Most importantly, there was no voice asking him if he was its Master.
    "Humph..."
    But there was no irritation on Faldeus' face. If he were being honest, he had considered it a fifty-fifty chance. Using six Heroic Spirits as priming to summon seven more was too hard to swallow. After all, powerful Heroic Spirits like the King of Heroes had already materialized. It was too much for just "priming the pump."
    "Well, I suppose that means we're going with plan B."
    Faldeus heaved a little sigh, and put the workshop behind him.

X X

An area of the prison served Faldeus as both a second workshop and a monitor room. Upon entering it, he announced to Aludra and his other subordinates:
    "We're switching to plan B. Contact Ms. Francesca and Mr. Reeve."
    "...Did the Heroic Spirit fail to materialize?"
    Faldeus answered Aludra's direct question with a quick nod.
    "Yes. I suppose that, even with a time limit, seven at once really is the limit. Execute the fake Grail War according to plan, counting Saber as the seventh fake Servant rather than the first real one."
    I'm not sure if the Grail will manifest or not, given the circumstances... but I suppose that will be a problem for next time.
    Still, the Command Seals, at least, did appear... I wonder if it's possible to do away with one of the current Masters and use these to form a new contract with their Heroic Spirit.
    Coldly eyeing the Command Seals on his right hand, Faldeus jotted down his progress on a notepad. That done, he was about to get in contact with all the parties concerned, when he noticed something just a little out of place.
    Noise was flickering across several of his orderly rows of monitors. If that had been all, he would have assumed it a simple breakdown. The problem was that the noise extended to feeds coming from familiars. They might be monitor-shaped, but they were mystical.
    Ordinary noise was impossible, so Faldeus suspected interference from an outside mage. Then, when he was in the middle of a monitor check... he noticed that he was scribbling on the notepad by his hand.
    Whoops. It's not like me to do something like that... Maybe failing to summon a Heroic Spirit did give me a bit of a shock.
    Having finished puzzling over his own actions, Faldeus was about to tear out the sheet when, suddenly, his hand stopped. Amid his scribbles, clearly meaningful words were written in a hand entirely unlike his own.

"I ask thee: art thou my Master?"

Faldeus felt the blood drain from his head all at once. He slowly ran his gaze over his surroundings, determined not to let impatience get the better of him. Then he saw the darkness.
    The noise was on a monitor displaying the outside of the prison. There was a blind spot under the trees where the light did not reach. Faldeus' eyes were drawn to that still deeper darkness. To be precise, they were drawn to a small, white object floating in its center.
    The monitor was a mystic implement linked to a familiar. Faldeus sent a command to the familiar, and made it move closer to the shadows. Before long, Faldeus was certain: the thing floating in the darkness was a twisted skull mask.
    "...Excuse me; I'm going out for a breath of fresh air."

As soon as Faldeus was out of the room, he made for the place he'd seen in the monitor at a brisk pace. It was still conceivably a trap laid by an outside mage. He proceeded cautiously down the hallways of the prison, keeping a wary eye on his surroundings.
    The hallways were long, and it was not yet dawn. As he hurried past windows that let in almost no light... the fluorescent light at the end of the corridor dimmed, and then went out. The way ahead was suddenly plunged in blackness. And in that blackness, Faldeus saw it: a white skull mask suspended in deep darkness.
    There's no mistaking it. That skull mask belongs to... an Assassin-class Heroic Spirit.
    Had his summoning succeeded? Or could it be the Assassin that had already been summoned as a "sacrifice"? Guesses were still whizzing through Faldeus' brain when the fluorescent light turned back on, and, at the same time, the white mask vanished.
    "Was that..." He started to mutter, when the light directly above him went out. As it did, a voice called out to him from behind.

"...Don't turn around."

Faldeus could just tell that the voice was male. It was so coldly inhuman, however, that he could not imagine the speaker's age, build, or anything else except that he had whispered from behind Faldeus' back.
    "...!"
    In that instant, Faldeus was prepared for his own death. Nothing he did now would do him any good. Even if he used all the magecraft he possessed, it would be impossible to extricate himself from this situation. The "death" he sensed was that certain.
    Faldeus did not know what was behind him. It almost seemed to him that limitless blackness gaped open there. He sensed nothing. The voice had not even been full of bloodlust; almost the opposite...
    He had not been able to pick up anything in the voice at his back. It felt like the airless void itself had called out to him. Its presence had been so rarefied that he almost wondered if his own ears had been playing tricks on him.
    Even so, there was one thing he could picture: that if there was something behind him, it must be the white mask he had just seen floating in the darkness.

"I ask thee... Art thou my Master?"

A question from nothingness. Faldeus knew that there must be an answer there if he turned to look, but he could not bring himself to do it. All he could do, in the stillness, was to address the man standing behind him.
    "...Yes. If you appeared in answer to my summoning earlier, then I suppose I am."
    After a brief pause, a whisper shook Faldeus' eardrums.
    "...Have you faith?"
    "Faith...?" Faldeus was doubtful.
    "...Have you a belief to which you would devote your life?" The voice shot back at him dispassionately.
    Faldeus considered a moment, then steadied his breathing and answered.
    "I would give all magecraft for our United States. That is my faith."
    "...Have you the resolve to see that faith through, even if it means ending another's life?"
    "Am I willing to kill for it, you mean?"
    "...That is what it would mean to contract with me."
    Most mages were prepared to take lives in the Holy Grail War. Even so, how many would be able to give an immediate answer while they could clearly sense their own death approaching? After a brief silence, the young mage opened his mouth to speak with a surprisingly calm mind.
    "Of course I am. If it was for the United States, I would not even hesitate to kill a fellow citizen."
    A short period of silence followed Faldeus' declaration, then the darkness behind him replied:

"...My name is Hassan-i Sabbah."

The Heroic Spirit had declared his own true name. The contract had not yet been sealed, so it had not been telepathy, but Faldeus was certain that the introduction had reached no ears but his own. The whisper had actually stirred only a single point in Faldeus' brain. It had felt almost like a curse seeping into his guts.
    "So long as you retain your faith, I shall be your shadow."

Then, without ever showing itself, the "shadow" left a parting word, and vanished into the darkness. Only the still-immobile Faldeus was left. He had a feeling that a line of magical energy connected him to a distant "something." He could not, however, feel much movement of magical energy. He could not immediately determine if they were even linked.
    "I see... It may be too late, but it feels real now."
    If he had gotten a single answer wrong, he would probably have died. If he mistook a single button press, even the Heroic Spirit he had summoned could become his grim reaper. He felt the reality of how irrational, and how terrible, a Heroic Spirit could be.
    Faldeus gave a little chuckle, although he was oozing could sweat.

"So this... is the Holy Grail War."

Next is chapter 6. You've all read the fight that ends it, but there are a lot of other things going on in that chapter, so I'll be going through the whole thing as usual. After that, it's just the afterwords, and then book 2 is done. Exactly 50 pages remain.
    Last edited by OtherSideofSky; October 30th, 2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: corrections

Even in the national system called "America" were to change
    Should be even if.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Pretty cool Hassan, though let's see how he matches up to the king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    he's Hassan of the shyness.

マリーの味方
    i still haven't read anything yet but thanks OtherSideofSky, you're amazing

Awesome, thanks!

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle NekoArcDragonhound's Avatar
    Sorry but I'm a little lost, where was the part that detailed how Jester managed to transfer/possess the body of the boy?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    he has conceptual cores of people and it's like a revolver where he can switch these conceptual cores.
    So right now we know he has a magus one, a vampire one, and a boy one
    which is interesting because vampirism affects the soul, so he's somehow able to trick or bypass this in a limited fashion
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's six of him, I think. Well, five now possibly since Assassin killed one of them perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle NekoArcDragonhound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    he has conceptual cores of people and it's like a revolver where he can switch these conceptual cores.
    So right now we know he has a magus one, a vampire one, and a boy one
    which is interesting because vampirism affects the soul, so he's somehow able to trick or bypass this in a limited fashion
    I see thank you. But you're right, I wonder how long it will take for his soul to taint the new vessel and how long before Hansa finds out.

Note: Bad-ass moment in the later chapters, Hansa knew Jester trick along and planted a tracking trip on his body when he went to pat him.

- - - Updated - - -

The addition of the little boy should have refill his stock back up to maximum, right? Also, I recall reading on the wiki, that his true form is actually a little girl, I pray it's not who I think it is.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoArcDragonhound View Post
    The addition of the little boy should have refill his stock back up to maximum, right? Also, I recall reading on the wiki, that his true form is actually a little girl, I pray it's not who I think it is.
    I don't think the implication is that he added the little boy, it's that he always had "little human boy" as one of the options on his revolver. Which certainly looks like it would come in handy, if it can bypass DA sensors.

And I've seen this "little girl" theory, but I've yet to hear whether it's actually mentioned or hinted at in the novels yet. The fact that it's shown up on the wiki before I saw any such confirmation only makes me distrust it further...

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    His Zabaniya says it all.

The ability to envelop everything in darkness, and use it as a weapon.

Also, that is one of the abilities of the Fake Assassin as of now.

Now let's see how that one can stand against the fake.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Quote Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
    And I've seen this "little girl" theory, but I've yet to hear whether it's actually mentioned or hinted at in the novels yet. The fact that it's shown up on the wiki before I saw any such confirmation only makes me distrust it further...
    The Jester being actually a little girl is not that much a theory, but something that was actually commented by Narita and Nasu as a possibility in the afterword of the very first SF novel bundled with TM Ace 2. Here is the relevant part, from nakulas translation.

And so, Assassin’s Master, Jester, ended up having the power of the
    Sixfold Cylinder. When he runs out of “faces” to use, he reverts to his
    true form: a little girl (or maybe a toddler, or maybe a cougar). And
    then, it’s yuri time. There you have it—a Nasu production. Nasu said
    that he “couldn’t see Assassin giving up the Grail to any man, given how
    super-tough she is”, so I tried to realize those hot-blooded and valorous
    ideas in the story.
    We don't know if that's still a thing though.
    Last edited by yokushi; October 16th, 2016 at 08:32 AM.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Jester's ability is called '6 male cross-dressing', that's why people assume original Jester is a woman.

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    (or maybe a toddler, or maybe a cougar)
    The heck

- - - Updated - - -

then, it’s yuri time
    wait what
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"