View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 5 of 242 FirstFirst ... 34567101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Banned
    Blog Entries
    >Using gun classes

literally shame on you

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah I don't find there to be too much "fiddly" stuff, and if you don't have you attack equations written down somewhere that's your fault

I keep them on my sheet like this, for example

Melee Attack: d20+3 (STR) + 3 (BAB) + 1 (Weapon Focus) (+1 if [Character name] is not within 10 feet of any allies)
    Damage Roll: 1d8+3 (STR) + 1 (Heavy Hitter) (+1 if [Character name] is not within 10 feet of any allies)
    Last edited by Christemo; June 21st, 2015 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    >Using gun classes

literally shame on you
    Was for a pirate campaign.

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haseo Nanaya View Post
    All my characters are high optimization but I keep getting killed for the stupidest reaseons. destroyed a church and failed a will save got knocked out cops took my invis ring and my empowered brootch of non detect I was only level six but due to specialization I cast lighting bolt as a level 10. later I destroyed a fortress while I was inside and killed the entire party when it collapsed on us.
    Sounds like your dice don't like you. I suggest coaxing them to your side or buy new dice. As silly as it sounds, sweet-talk them and infuse luck/will into them.

Back when I used to play, I was infamous with my group for coaxing the dice to my side. Usually it was just my dice. I got Crit.s most of the time. I almost once wiped out the PC party, playing as an NPC (in a friend's non-DnD game), with a tennis racket because I kept getting Crit.s

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Not my group. We met a Beholder at Lvl 1 and tried to kill it. Then again, "murder it!" was pretty much our whole MO that module, including the suspicious looking scenery.
    Sounds similar to my old group. We were pretty insane when it came to playing. Even making characters... I think we made half-monster characters once...

I used to play mostly 2nd & 3rd ed. but I think we tried 4th. I still have my books but I don't really play anymore.
    I liked to play rogues and druids. I think I might've played a monk once... I'd have to find my old sheets to know for sure.

#OwO#

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunara_Ishi View Post
    Sounds like your dice don't like you. I suggest coaxing them to your side or buy new dice. As silly as it sounds, sweet-talk them and infuse luck/will into them.
    Yeah just put a piece of cheese on a mousetrap and watch the dice roll themselves.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like your dice don't like you.
    Really? To me it more sounds like what someone who has vaguely heard of D&D would say.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Yeah just put a piece of cheese on a mousetrap and watch the dice roll themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Really? To me it more sounds like what someone who has vaguely heard of D&D would say.
    I'm sorry that you guys took offense to that. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything. I have learned that some dice roll better than others. Some are just jinxed and will roll bad rolls no matter what.

"..." I played for 6+ years... -.-;
    ~~~~~~~~~~

On a different tangent: do you guys play online, tabletop, or both?
    I keep hearing about the online versions but it just doesn't seem the same to me.

#OwO#

I've played online pretty much exclusively for 7 years now. It's a very different experience than in person.

Also, Siriel's new avatar is adorable.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry that you guys took offense to that. I didn't mean it as an insult or anything. I have learned that some dice roll better than others. Some are just jinxed and will roll bad rolls no matter what.
    I was actually referring to claiming that a character who is somehow specialized in lightning bolt is optimized, that is to say Haseo's story.

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing wrong with lightning bolting, but I'm pretty sure everyone who plays the game knows it's not really an "optimized" wizard.

I used to play offline all the time, but as my gaming group dared to find new things to do during the weekend I've had to switch to online.

Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Also, Siriel's new avatar is adorable.
    I wasn't sure if I wanted it but the teddy bear was too strong.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I was actually referring to claiming that a character who is somehow specialized in lightning bolt is optimized, that is to say Haseo's story.

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing wrong with lightning bolting, but I'm pretty sure everyone who plays the game knows it's not really an "optimized" wizard.

I used to play offline all the time, but as my gaming group dared to find new things to do during the weekend I've had to switch to online.
    Oh, ok. I thought you were referring to me.
    I thought she was referring to her Stat.s, which was why I thought maybe it was the dice. I thought maybe she was doing bad on her save and hit rolls.

I don't really play wizards. I hated having to memorize what all the spells were or have to constantly refer to the book... >.>; I tried when I started but I think everything was too overwhelming to memorize a bunch of spells too.

Ditto. Except it was LARPs and I just switched to console games and other stuff. I did online text role-playing for awhile until it got weird... Online DnD was "considered" a joke back when I stopped so it wasn't really an option. Nor did I have a lot of time.

Edit:
    Now if her character is specialized in lightning; maybe she needs to grab other spells/skills too. Its fine and all to have high powered spells but you need some lesser options as well for lesser creatures, etc. And a specialization doesn't mean that she can't have some spells outside lightning/electricity/etc. I'd have to look up actual spells but maybe pick up flight/hover related ones, barrier one, or teleport? Sounds like you have a problem with debris, so maybe something to counteract/deal with that?

Its always possible she might be over-doing it on the spells during the fight.
    Without knowing the character & being there, I don't know what else advice to give.

But I never really had a lot of problems myself because my group out-shown me and took all the glory... >.>;
    Last edited by Sunara; June 22nd, 2015 at 08:41 PM.

#OwO#

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wizards aren't actually "optimized" until your spells start looking like quantum computing formulas due to metamagic.

Blog Entries
    ^That

There's a difference between specialization and having a theme (which are good) and optimization (which in D&D is basically game-ruining).
    O piteous Wanderer.

Oh, I should find the 4e build that gets infinite standard actions when it gets KO'd.

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    So, what are people's favorite character that they've played?
    Online or IRL?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Either or

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    Alright, the campaign didn't last very long as we couldn't get people to show up, but during high school a friend of mine was DMing a game of 4e D&D. First session we had everyone make their characters, and it was a pretty normal party with a Cleric, Paladin, Wizard, Ranger, and my character a Rogue. What made this session so different was that I had decided to honest roll all my stats on a whim, and everyone was like "Oh, this is gonna be good." So the DM has me roll a d20 for all my stats, and that's where the fun began. All my rolls, and therefore stats, were a minimum of 16+, with two of them being 20s. Being a man of his word the DM let me play this insanely broken character. So here I was, a horrendously OP rogue, who was the most powerful DPS character in the party with more HP then our tank.

Naturally I decided to do nothing but mess around the entire time, which was probably good since I was able to bloody the tutorial boss in one hit while forgoing any intention of stealth for the entire session.

Sadly, the game died do to it being around the end of my senior year and everyone was getting ready for finals.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    > rolling d20 for stats

ah yes, the moony
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    4d6 minus the lowest is the best.

Actually surprised how popular rogues are here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bridget should tell the tales of his rogue. Those are pretty tell-worthy tales I tell you.
    Last edited by Christemo; June 23rd, 2015 at 02:29 AM.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    So, in my group, I tend to DM about half the time, with another doing the other half. Mine are either homegrown campaigns that are set in an original world that I'm trying to get down as a setting for original fiction, or Star Wars. The other guy either runs random games of other stuff (VtM where I'm a Brujah, Modern where I'm a guy kinda based on Ruro Ken Oniwabanshuu set in modern times, Rifts Heroes Unlimited as either a Wonder Woman-esque Artemis-mystically empowered heroine, or a Batman Beyond suit wearer) or published Pathfinder campaigns (Runelords: Sorcerer, Kingmaker: Paladin, Wrath of Righteous: Paladin again). Yes, as my D&D specific choices can tell you, my affinity for Nasu stuff makes a lot of sense.

We have this running joke in my group about how in any given campaign, two things tend to happen. The first: two of us will end up thinking completely opposite of what we should have been doing (in one of mine, two of my players, a Rogue and a Paladin, the player for the Rogue would always be the person to go "Celibacy, remember?" while the Paladin would be like "Shouldn't you be saying 'I'm checking for traps' right now?") The second: invariably, for some strange reason, we'd always line up on the stuff that we fucked up over, and it was always somehow the worst thing related to our class (in the Kingmaker campaign for instance, our Rogue-Assassin, prior to his poison use abilities, got hit with all sorts of poisons and diseases, including one memorable case where he got lockjaw right after being hit with something that made him want to vomit.)