Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 47891011141959 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beast's Lair Fanfic Contest (2013 Edition) (Discussion Thread)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    After just getting assailed with a bunch of RL issues. i probably would have to pull out of this.
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Is 10,000 the max limit, or the minimum limit? I'm still not really clear on that.
    I'd treat it as a "soft maximum" although, to me, 10,000 words is really not all that much for a story, and I'm not sure why it's there at all.

Basically, unless you feel very confident in your skills, and feel like the story deserves to be longer, try to keep it around 10k, but we're not going to disqualify entries that are longer or whatever. But as I said, if you're going to make us read more, it'd better be more worth our while.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    No. I'll go to my own room!
    But then you'll activate my trap card.

Quote Originally Posted by dminon View Post
    Um, I'd like to ask when this will start, and how long we'll be given? Also, where will the stories be posted, or will we just PM someone to post all of the entries?
    Technically, it's already started. The key is that you hand in something no later than April 1st, US time (so that'd be sometime April 2nd if you're on the other side of the world).
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just realized, is it really smart to give 30 for punctuation and grammar and only 10 points for concept, characterization and uniqueness respectively?

I mean sure, you don't want to get unreadable grammar massacres to read, but it also means that someone suffers harder from an unobservant beta than he does from rehashing an idea that has been done a million times and fucking up characterization.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Just realized, is it really smart to give 30 for punctuation and grammar and only 10 points for concept, characterization and uniqueness respectively?

I mean sure, you don't want to get unreadable grammar massacres to read, but it also means that someone suffers harder from an unobservant beta than he does from rehashing an idea that has been done a million times and fucking up characterization.
    I have some reservations myself, but if you screw the technicals and the artistry, will the rest really ever save a fic?
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Blog Entries
    Well, obviously everyone will try to max out all categories, I doubt there will be tactical thinking along the lines of "I should just use simple language and make it blander to read to make sure I get 30 in technical", but it still remains kind of a problem imo.

Just take 10 from technical and give em to concept/characterization (uniqueness shouldn't be that big of a factor, even stuff that has been seen can always be done again in a mindblowing fashion)

20 points in it should still ensure that everyone is on their toes about their grammar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    But then you'll activate my trap card.
    You're a trap?!

Blog Entries
    Well, obviously everyone will try to max out all categories, I doubt there will be tactical thinking along the lines of "I should just use simple language and make it blander to read to make sure I get 30 in technical", but it still remains kind of a problem imo.

Just take 10 from technical and give em to concept/characterization (uniqueness shouldn't be that big of a factor, even stuff that has been seen can always be done again in a mindblowing fashion)

20 points in it should still ensure that everyone is on their toes about their grammar.
    I talked it over with him a few days ago, and we're still looking into options.

You're a trap?!
    Hohoho, squeeze and find out~~~♥

Old Quote Crap!

Blog Entries
    I just sent Milbunk a PM as well discussing this, and maybe adding a lemon category as well.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Blog Entries
    Do we have enough writers for a lemon category?
    IIRC we only had one lemon last time, and it was yours.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    >Elf reviewing lemons
    I pity whoever enters that catagory

Blog Entries
    Do we have enough writers for a lemon category?
    IIRC we only had one lemon last time, and it was yours.
    I think partially because there wasn't a Lemon category was the reason that no one wrote one. I'm pretty sure if there was a Lemon category there would be one. Especially with my helpful tutorial.

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Blog Entries
    But your tutorial hasn't reached the writing part yet!

Alright, if you think people will come then do that category I guess.

Blog Entries
    I, for one, support a lemon category.

And anyone who's read my work knows that my standards are rather high.

And that I like yuri.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    I, for one, support a lemon category.

And anyone who's read my work knows that my standards are rather high.

And that I like yuri.
    Would a full Beam X Seika one aside from the small snippet I've done work?

Blog Entries
    I am all for a Lemon category, personally. Though I very much doubt I'll submit anything, given my every attempt to write lemons has led to fluff.

Death is only the stepping stone to success. Santo's Avatar
    I am all for a Lemon category, personally. Though I very much doubt I'll submit anything, given my every attempt to write lemons has led to fluff.

Have you tried sex with fluff?

Is that even possible? =,=;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post

Have you tried sex with fluff?

Is that even possible? =,=;
    I write fluffy sex actually. Well, romantic sex.

Blog Entries
    Nothing's wrong with fluff. I like sweet stories sometimes.

Besides, in a lemon category, the main criteria will be "How good was your smut" at any rate.

Do be advised, though: I don't think we'd allow a PWP Lemon to go for top prize. I think we'd want at least some amount of skill in storycrafting so that we can't have a winner simply based on smut-skill alone.

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I write fluffy sex actually. Well, romantic sex.
    So it becomes like Clannad?
    (I didn't get to the h scenes though)

Blog Entries
    ... I think i signed up for this a few days ago... :3c

"MONGLERS!" - Gilgamesh, last words