Thread: Least favourite servant?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He was mixed race

Here is a picture of him

- - - Updated - - -

I believe his paternal grandmother was a slave
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't tell you specifically if he was a jerkass in real life, but there was notes of him having an astounding number of affairs and at least 4 illegitimate children and rumour of several of his works just being rewrites of other people's work cause he didn't like them.

Oddly, the bit about his attempt to be the Pokemon Master of STDs was not considered abnormal for a man of his social standing at the time, but the sheer number is impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Was Dumas like that in real life? I don't think so, and I think the whole crass boor portrayal of him in FSF kind of insults the real thing. That and I'm not sure if FSF Dumas is even black, which the real one was.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    He was a 19th century author, and yes, he was black, and his father was a black French officer in Napoleon's army who was also denied a pension later in life or something, and thus he actually was extremely bitter towards Napoleon.
    Like Asterum pointed out he was mixed, and FSF has him having tan skin so it fits
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Mixed heritage usually has quite a few stronger signifiers than just "tan skin", though.
    This reminds me of how the Earthsea anime also portrays Ged (a man of explicitly dark sin*) as just having a tan skin.

* Well, LeGuin describes it as being of a red-brown colour. So, something like the stereotypical skin colour of a Native American, then?
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; August 9th, 2018 at 03:31 PM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I can't tell you specifically if he was a jerkass in real life, but there was notes of him having an astounding number of affairs and at least 4 illegitimate children and rumour of several of his works just being rewrites of other people's work cause he didn't like them.
    The English playwright Watts Phillips, who knew Dumas in his later life, described him as "the most generous, large-hearted being in the world. He also was the most delightfully amusing and egotistical creature on the face of the earth. His tongue was like a windmill – once set in motion, you never knew when he would stop, especially if the theme was himself"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Mixed heritage usually has quite a few stronger signifiers than just "tan skin", though.
    This reminds me of how the Earthsea anime also portrays Ged (a man of explicitly dark sin*) as just having a tan skin.

* Well, LeGuin describes it as being of a red-brown colour. So, something like the stereotypical skin colour of a Native American, then?
    Anime (with some obvious exceptions) tends to have a very racially homogenous art-style in general though, so I don't think it's fair to highlight Dumas as an egregious example.

To give a single example that comes to mind, Lelouch from Code Geass is Britannian and Suzaku is Japanese, yet you'd be damned to tell that difference in ethnicity from their character designs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Sounds like his SF characterization was pretty on point then.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Yeah, Dumas' characterization does seem spot on now that I hear all this. Also, Lelouch's ethnic identifier is his purple eyes (jk).

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Anime (with some obvious exceptions) tends to have a very racially homogenous art-style in general though, so I don't think it's fair to highlight Dumas as an egregious example.
    Not egregious, no, but it's still an example of a terrible trend.

Blog Entries
    Not egregious, no, but it's still an example of a terrible trend.
    I don't see what's so "terrible" about an art-style that just doesn't happen to highlight certain racial differences. What counts as a representation of a given race is pretty subjective anyways. For instance, pretty much anyone would say the Simpsons family from the titular series are white, but if you take their character designs (bright yellow skin, blue hair, etc) at face value they have very little in common with RL white people.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I don't see what's so "terrible" about an art-style that just doesn't happen to highlight certain racial differences. What counts as a representation of a given race is pretty subjective anyways. For instance, pretty much anyone would say the Simpsons family from the titular series are white, but if you take their character designs (bright yellow skin, blue hair, etc) at face value they have very little in common with RL white people.
    I thought the Simpsons were all anthropomorphic lions?

I don't see what's so "terrible" about an art-style that just doesn't happen to highlight certain racial differences.
    Because that's not intrinsic at all to the art style? I mean, just look at one modern example:

https://japansociology.files.wordpre...0/slamdunk.jpg

Seriously, Royd, how the heck did you come up with THAT defense? Do you think Japanese artists don't have black or brown, for example, in their colour palette?

Blog Entries
    Because that's not intrinsic at all to the art style? I mean, just look at one modern example:

https://japansociology.files.wordpre...0/slamdunk.jpg

Seriously, Royd, how the heck did you come up with THAT defense? Do you think Japanese artists don't have black or brown, for example, in their colour palette?
    But Dumas is depicted with dark skin in SF, and when Iceblade brought that up you changed the subject to racial signifiers other than skin-color. Acting like we were just talking about skin-color the entire time (and thereby making me look like an idiot who thinks Japanese people can't draw dark skin) is completely disingenuous. I thought you were better than that Spoony.

Just make Dumas look like Afro Samurai.

Keep the chessboard teeth though.

For starters, I did continue to use skin color as a signifier - hence why I used Ged as an example of how "tan skin" is not the same thing as "dark sin" (which Dumas doesn't have in "Strange Fake").
    Secondly, anime / manga has no problem at all with using other signifiers (exaggerated or not) for black people, for instance:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=en

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100625064456

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...de066e1765b7d6

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...zpGsXm84MDBpuJ

Blog Entries
    For starters, I did continue to use skin color as a signifier - hence why I used Ged as an example of how "tan skin" is not the same thing as "dark sin" (which Dumas doesn't have in "Strange Fake").
    Secondly, anime / manga has no problem at all with using other signifiers (exaggerated or not) for black people, for instance:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=en

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100625064456

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...de066e1765b7d6

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...zpGsXm84MDBpuJ
    I'm not familiar with the character you're talking about so I can't comment on that. With Dumas though, I do think tan (rather than completely dark) skin made sense to represent his mixed-race heritage. While he does look pale a lot of times in the manga, I think that's more to do with the artist's personal style of shading than anything more sinister.

And with your examples, two of those are literal racial caricatures (presumably not your ideal example of black representation) and one is Jojo, a series that already strays significantly from the stereotypical "anime" artstyle. The last one didn't load for me, so I unfortunately can't comment on that either.

Anyhow, my point wasn't that anime never depicts certain racial characteristics, but that the traits stereotypically associated with black or mixed-race people like full lips and pronounced noses are precisely those that tend to be abstracted away in a lot of anime art. You're free to argue that in itself is a form of prejudice (though that gets into more general issue of how all representational art inevitably emphasizes certain traits and downplays others), but it's clearly distinct from anti-black racism in particular, since Japanese and Asian characters also get their ethnic signifiers abstracted away.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...

"dark sin"
    If you're trying to educate me on racism, evoking the Curse of Ham seems rather counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    Who cares. He's French.
    Though your reply was meant to be glib, you actually do raise an interesting point that European countries tend to conceive of race differently than in the US. In America, due to the legacy of slavery black people tend to identify themselves by their African ancestry; i.e "African-American". France and other European countries- while obviously having their own problems with race- lack that history, hence why there's no equally popular analogous terms of "Afro-French" or "Afro-English". In fact, nowadays most black people in Europe would find it very racist to imply that they're anything less than 100% of their native country.

That's why Trevor Noah got in a bit of trouble over his joke about how "Africa won the World Cup". He was well-meaningly imputing America's history of racial issues onto France, without realizing how offensive it sounded...

I'm not familiar with the character you're talking about so I can't comment on that.
    You have eyes and a fully-functioning sense of sight, presumably.
    And yes, the fact that some of the characters are drawn like caricatures is the point: the anime/manga art style is perfectly capable of portraying racial signifiers in an exaggerated manner for "comedic" effect, so why are you arguing in all seriousness that it somehow can't do that very thing? Particularly when there have been plenty of regular depictions of racial signifiers, as seen with Avdol*, or Bleach's Tousen or Yoruichi.

Then again, I shouldn't expect better from someone invoking "the Curse of Ham" in such a glib manner.

* Seriously, JJBA straying from a typical anime style? Have you seen how much the art in Parts 1-3 is "inspired" by Hokuto no Ken, or how stylised it got afterwards? Regardless of what Ufotable may have taught you, the presence of noses does not make it non-standard for anime / manga.

Blog Entries
    You have eyes and a fully-functioning sense of sight, presumably.
    And yes, the fact that some of the characters are drawn like caricatures is the point: the anime/manga art style is perfectly capable of portraying racial signifiers in an exaggerated manner for "comedic" effect, so why are you arguing in all seriousness that it somehow can't do that very thing? Particularly when there have been plenty of regular depictions of racial signifiers, as seen with Avdol*, or Bleach's Tousen or Yoruichi.

Then again, I shouldn't expect better from someone invoking "the Curse of Ham" in such a glib manner.

* Seriously, JJBA straying from a typical anime style? Have you seen how much the art in Parts 1-3 is "inspired" by Hokuto no Ken, or how stylised it got afterwards? Regardless of what Ufotable may have taught you, the presence of noses does not make it non-standard for anime / manga.
    I'll concede your point, but the Curse of Ham thing was just me poking fun at the silly typo in your post. Sorry if you found it offensive...

By Jojo straying from a typical anime style, I meant the "moe" style a lot of modern anime uses, with big eyes, small noses and the like. But I'll admit it probably came out wrong.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not gonna get into the whole debate with you guys, but I will say, if my options are "Choco-Love" or "Tanned Frenchman" I'll take the latter. Fate has generally been good at avoiding racist portrayals of ethnicity, even if at times going the opposite direction and damn near erasing it (The age old Gilgamesh argument), but I think the question mark of possibly racist erasure is better than the exclamation point of definitely racist cartoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0