Page 298 of 782 FirstFirst ... 198248288293296297298299300303308348398 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,960 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Angel View Post
    The various Enkidus seem pretty nice though - some commentary individually is that Blackfield's should probably have Presence Detection at a much higher rank if only for canonically having the highest ranking of it. The NPs are interesting, though I'm not sure about NPizing his death; calling it infliction of Mental Pollution seems like kind of a slight given the poignancy of the scene when it happens. Especially when you're combining Gil's lofty quote for it with a really debilitating effect. That's my initial reaction at least.
    That's why I put in the Ego thing. Gil has such a strong Ego he was able to overcome the grief and negative emotions spawned from Enkidu's death, instead using his words as additional motivation for the remainder of his life.

Its more of an embodiment of that, the effects of his death on Gil, since that is a major part of his importance in the Epic of Gilgamesh. I find that prime material to make into a Noble Phantasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Im gonna go ahead and say that the Lancer class is because the other classes fit him even less, and the Lancer class is kinda the "Middle ground" class. I made a weapon that i can see as plausible, but in Strange Fake he simply transforms into weaponry, however that works.
    Enkidu is a shapeshifter in Nasuverse, because of the whole "Clay puppet of the gods" thing. so yeah whatever class he would be he would just transform into the corresponding weapon. Although Archer would probably be disadvantageous to him because shooting his clay would make him lose part of his body.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors BlackField's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I want to say that´s better, but he is completely useless against anyone with High-Speed Divine Language or even the ability to just speak the Divine Language, which would be almost any demigod.
    Only one servant has ever used the divine language in fate. And anyway that was the point, adding weaknesses makes them fun. He beats Herakles(well he'd draw against Berserkles though) while losing to Medea.

I prefer characters who are strong because of concepts rather than just strong. Some of Enkidu's ability are based on the chain, which I felt worked well when you consider Gilgamesh is A+ divinity(before he started hating the gods anyway), so he becomes super powerful against him and would make even the gods fear him.

At the same time against servants with little divinity but powerful NPs, he'd only stand a decent chance(Altria is a particularly strong counter) or moderately divine servants who have guaranteed destruction of all the body NPs(like Cu Chulainn).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Angel View Post
    The various Enkidus seem pretty nice though - some commentary individually is that Blackfield's should probably have Presence Detection at a much higher rank if only for canonically having the highest ranking of it. The NPs are interesting, though I'm not sure about NPizing his death; calling it infliction of Mental Pollution seems like kind of a slight given the poignancy of the scene when it happens. Especially when you're combining Gil's lofty quote for it with a really debilitating effect. That's my initial reaction at least.
    The way I read it was more that it was a rare and powerful ability rather than being like A or EX rank(though since when was B not a high rank?)

@Reiu, not quite sure what you mean about the first part, is that a CCC spoiler or something? On the latter, I felt he wouldn't really be Gilgamesh's equal if he wasn't capable of facing Gilgamesh at his strongest.
    Last edited by BlackField; June 7th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Enkidu has no heart though. Lancer would be screwed.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Just because he's made of clay doesn't mean he lacks a heart. You are the monster mAc Chaos not Enkidu!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Enkidu has no heart though. Lancer would be screwed.
    Its even worse vs my version, he does not even have a luck stat so the spear is not even dodge-able in anyway. If he had an actually heart lancer would have a field day.

I can already see lancer being highly confused when his NP won't activate due to lack of a target.

Assassin (?)

True Name: Sri Thanonchai
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Stats:
    Strength: D
    Endurance: E
    Agility: C
    Mana: D
    Luck: A
    Noble Phantasm: B

Skills:

Presence Concealment: (X) A flamboyant noble, even in the ancient World’s standard. His assignment to the class comes through other means.

Artful Trickster: (A) The archetypal liar, Assassin is capable of deceiving, time and again, even people who have heard of his nature as a liar and exploiter. In effect, Servants without equal or greater rank in a matching skill (e.g. Discernment of the Poor) may neither learn of Assassin’s true identity nor anticipate his attacks. Even if he tells them outright, they will be unable to utilize the knowledge to prepare for him in anyway. At this rank, the Master themselves is also afflicted- they may not view Assassin’s stat sheet.

Independent Action: (EX) Assassin, whose wit is only matched by his brazenness in his legends, tricks the absolute authority- the World itself. He obtained this skill through the crystallization of his infamous deeds of successfully deceiving people of all social strata, whether it be the poorest Sweets Merchant to the King, which in ancient Siamese culture is venerated as either a God’s aspect or of their blood. At this Rank, Assassin can stay in the world indefinitely until destroyed by outside means. In fact, the summoning of Assassin is not recognized by the Grail itself. Were there to be a leftover Master from previous Wars, it may be possible to summon another Assassin class Servant to participate in the current War. Assassin’s incorporation into the Grail may cause a certain disruptive influence on the artifact, though not to as major a scale as a certain all the evils of the World.

Golden Rule: (C) Assassin’s legends mostly concern the use of his wit for either amusements or gains. At this rank, money is extremely easy to come by.

Disengage: (B) Assassin’s legends, aided by its almost episodic nature, always end with him emerging completely unscathed and often with undeserved boons. At this Rank, conditions unfavorable to Assassin maybe reverted to that of before the battles, while any deliberations on the enemies’ side maybe left unaffected. Opponents with rank B or higher LUK stat may overturn this effect.

Noble Phantasm:

ที่ดินเท่าแมวดิ้นตาย – My word is my bound – Anti-Unit – (B) – The crystallization of Assassin’s various successful exploitations in the folktales of Ancient Siam. Upon activation, Servants with the attribute <<Lawful>>, <<Good>>, <<King>>, <<Knight>> or other of similar nature must uphold any promises made to Assassin. The promise must be made verbally and clear understanding of the basic premise of the deal must be reached; through it does not require Assassin to reveal any additional caveats or even tell the truth of the whole deal. For example, Assassin might offer an alliance with another Servant, to deal with a third. What he does not reveal is that the alliance is for the duration of the War, instead of a temporary one. The Servant that breaks the promise lost their <<Identity as a Heroic Spirit summoned for the Grail War>> and is no longer supported by the Grail.

Legend:
    An infamous trickster from the folktales of Siam, Sri Thanonchai is a cruel and petty man, who yet possesses the adoration of many. Born to a virtuous and devout peasant woman, Sri Thanonchai eventually becomes an extravagantly rich courtier- albeit one whose days in court may be numbered on one hand. Starting with killing his little brother and washing his innards clean – his mother ordered him to cleanse “every inches” of his brother. Of his many “achievements”, amongst them are tricking his monk mentor to eating dog’s droppings, eating or throwing away the goods of a sweets merchant (his justification is that the merchant’s order is a Siamese idioms/puns, and he “misinterpreted” them), tricking a noble of middling wealth to lend him money, telling her that it will be paid back “in two moons”, tricking the King into walking down a pool of swamp water and afterwards gaining from him “an amount of land worth a dying cat’s flailing’s.” Additionally, he once won a contest of wits and skills, with his nation as the stake, against a foreign diplomat. In the end, he died of a sickness after a young monk, his brother, reincarnated, intellectually bested him. Despite his many vicious antics, he was surrounded by many, including his King, on his deathbed. He died an impoverished, bitter man, regretting that he weren't a better friends to the people he ultimately cared about.

Note: Were he to pair with a particularly dim or otherwise unexceptional Master, it is likely that Assassin will simply trick the Master into severing the contract. Failing that, he may attempt to murder the Master. It is unlikely, though, as he have mellowed out a little bit. Sorta.

Maybe Independent Action (EX) might be better served as a NP?

I began with the concept of some kind of Trickster Hero, but then realize that he’s pretty much just a more asshole-ish Bugs Bunny. I’m not even all that sure he qualifies as a Heroic Spirit, considering that –off the top of my head- I can remember exactly once where his tricks serve his nation’s interest rather than his own.
    Last edited by Aodyssey; June 8th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    He would still have a normal mana rank, the rank itself is representative of the maximum amount of mana they can have at a given moment and has nothing to do with independent action. In addition I would not say that his NP is A rank, I would put it around B.
    Last edited by Knick; June 8th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like the concept, but as Knick said the Mana stat doesnt work like that. Also he feels a bit wonky. What weapons does he use, and why does he have them?

Also there´s no way to resist Discerment of the Poor, because it reads one´s subconcious and what one means beyond all lies. You simply cannot out-gambit it (yes, it´s broken but its Karna).

Also crystalisation means that it has a physical form so unless Assassin has something that represents his Indepedant Action in object (same for his Noble Phantasm), so consider a different word.
    Last edited by Christemo; June 8th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Low Mana Rank, then. He'll likely uses a more-or-less generic ornamental sword, as there are no particular legends about his combat prowess. He's more of an advisor-type noble.

Karna's Discernment of the Poor A-rank would cancel out Artful Trickster anyway, through. There is no example of B-or-lower Discernment of the Poor around in canon.

Crystallisation is just my goto word for legends-as-NP and legends-as-Skills.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PBlades View Post
    Crystallisation is just my goto word for legends-as-NP and legends-as-Skills.
    Your right. NPs are crystallization of legends. For Nasu crystallization just means to give it a form of some kind, It could be an effect, a weapon, an animal, or anything else that fits as long as its a NP.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Bellerophon wasn't a horse.

?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post

?
    King of Horseriders sounds really dumb, and his father was the God of Horses. it works.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post

?
    It's a touchy subject. Ancient Greece didn't have braces.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Eh if his NP is the same as Medusa's, would Bellerophon even be able to summon Pegasus? He doesnt really have Medusas "Pegasus originally spawned frim me" excuse for that, and he would loook really dumb with his superbridle but nothing to use it on... Unless it works on any "beast that can be ridden" and the master somehow manages to aquire something good. Bellerophon riding a powered up Dragon or taking control of Gilles' Cthulhu would be pretty awesome like that.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the NP should've been the Pegasus not the girdle. Or perhaps he should have both of them as separate NPs or something. The Pegasus was not Medusa's NP before you say anything Christemo, it was the girdle.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
    Yeah, the NP should've been the Pegasus not the girdle. Or perhaps he should have both of them as separate NPs or something. The Pegasus was not Medusa's NP before you say anything Christemo, it was the girdle.
    Ah that´s my misunderstanding then. Will edit that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Eh if his NP is the same as Medusa's, would Bellerophon even be able to summon Pegasus? He doesnt really have Medusas "Pegasus originally spawned frim me" excuse for that, and he would loook really dumb with his superbridle but nothing to use it on... Unless it works on any "beast that can be ridden" and the master somehow manages to aquire something good. Bellerophon riding a powered up Dragon or taking control of Gilles' Cthulhu would be pretty awesome like that.
    Most of the reason Bellerophon is famous is because he got the golden bridle from Athena and then tamed the Pegasus.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiu View Post
    Enkidu was created when Gilgamesh was still Ko-Gil, so nah. More likely he was a fail-safe for the gods themselves, rather, going by Aruru's instruction to Enkidu to "return the Keystone to us."

Just saying, there's actually no depiction of Enkidu facing Enuma Elish aside from the erroneous pastebin translation that had confused what was actually the first use of GoB for Ea, due to the pastebin translator messing up the singulars and plurals.
    One question Reiu, I'm sure you'd have mentioned this if it appeared anywhere, but... is there anything that points towards about Enkidu the NP being actually made of Enkidu's clay?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    One question Reiu, I'm sure you'd have mentioned this if it appeared anywhere, but... is there anything that points towards about Enkidu the NP being actually made of Enkidu's clay?
    There is not. The Chain of Heaven was just something Gilgamesh had laying around in the legend, i think.

Blog Entries
    Appearance
    Weight.

It's the first thing to come to mind when you recall your Servant. How his sudden arrival made your house shake. How the amount of gold he carried around in rings on his fingers and in his long, dark beard could have fed a family for a decade. How no surface could support the mass of his sword, that huge wood-iron shape.

Right from the start, there was something overwhelming about him just being in the room. Not just his the physical presence given by height, his broad muscle, his ancient mail tunic, his out-sized sword. Not even the magical power given off by the blade and by his lady's favour. But a weight of personality. He was quintessentially a warrior of Europe's old North, bloodied in a hundred battles, and no-one of today could be his match.

And, even as overwhelmed as you are and have been for the past week, now he places another burden on you.

A weight of betrayal.

Name: Hrómundr Gripsson
    Class: Saber
    Master: HYPNOS
    Alignment: Neutral

Parameters
    Strength: B
    Endurance: A+
    Agility: D
    Magic: E
    Luck: B
    Noble Phantasm: B

Class Skills
    Magic Resistance: A
    Ability to reduce or negate the effect of magic.
    Hrómundr's most notable opponents all used strange sorceries against him, which he overcame by his might and his wits. He is extraordinarily capable against all kinds of spells, and modern magi should never expect to harm him. With this rank of magic resistance, terming him a 'magus killer'-type hero would be accurate.

Riding: B--
    Skill in control of a steed and mounted combat
    Hrómundr is specifically capable aboard ships: besides being a Norseman raider whose transport was always over the sea, he was a peasant's son and never had the chance to ride a horse in any case. When attempting to control another mount or vehicle, this ability is severely reduced in effectiveness.

Personal Skills
    Battle Continuation: A
    Survival ability, reducing the lethality of wounds and increasing the ability to fight even with mortal injuries.
    Hrómundr's toughness was legendary, matching that of the greatest heroes. He continued to wrestle and kill the troll-shaped barrow-wight Þráinn, even when all the flesh had been torn from his back by Þráinn's claws. Having been impaled by Helgi's sword, he pinned his flesh together with a dagger so his guts should not fall out. Taking thirteen other deep wounds that day, he still fought on against the enemy sorcerers to leave the field victorious. To escape the attentions of the seer Blindr, he hid in the fires beneath a cauldron of boiling water for a day. To impair his fighting ability even slightly, a wound must be deep and mortal.

Bravery: A-
    Ability to suppress cowardly emotions and avoid any attempts at thwarting his participation in a fight by mental manipulation. Additionally, will increase unarmed damage.
    Hrómundr would fight the most vicious enemies where others turned away: the draugr Þráinn had slain four hundred and twenty men without a scratch, yet Hrómundr alone of King Óláfr's army faced him. The champion of king Óláfr, Kári, whose each sword-blow could slay eight or twelve men, fell victim to Hröngviðr and the sword
    Brynþvari
    An Edge Blunted, An Edge Whetted
    . Hrómundr then was the only man who dared to restore Óláfr's honour. He, the son of a peasant who had to make do with a club instead of a sword, faced Hröngviðr in battle to kill him and retrieve Óláfr's standard.

Lacking this easy access to a sword as he trained, Hrómundr still prefers going into battle as a wrestler and a bare-knuckle fighter, saving his magical blade for those times when it is most necessary. His technique is not graceful, but brutally efficient.

Although most mental interference can be shrugged off, Hrómundr has retained a peasant's superstition, and spells shaped to seem like divine visitations or dreams have an increased chance to sap his courage.

Noble Phantasms

Svanhvít
    Faith's Reward

Svanhvít was a princess who favoured Hrómundr, believing his simple strength and courage to be the best asset there was for her father's army. She gave him this band, and told him that so long as he wore it on him, he would take no wound. This perhaps overstates the power of her spell, but its shaping is powerful nonetheless. The barrier it puts around Hrómundr's skin is an equivalent Armour Class of 75, and a warrior will need to be absolutely focused or of massive strength to break through it.

Additionally, it may bind any single wound of Hrómundr's, preventing it from draining prana or inhibiting his ability to fight. It will stretch to whatever extent is necessary to cover the injury. This was once necessary because he had been taunted into throwing away its protection for a time and had been gutted by Helgi the Brave. Only because of the band's magic did Hrómundr keep fighting and remain alive until a healer could see to him.

As a symbol of her favour, it also binds Hrómundr to Svanhvít. Were she also summoned in a Holy Grail War, she would be able to remove any protection it gave him. However, since he would naturally desire to join his wife in any case, the real effect is to give him additional protection against a Master's Command Spells if they attempt to prevent him defecting.

Type: Barrier
    Range: 1
    Maximum Targets: 1 person

Mistiltein
    Repentant Assassin

The sprig of mistletoe that the blind god used to kill Baldr. Though it seemed insignificant to the divine spirits, men are not of their scale: the blade carved from the mistletoe branch is huge and heavy. In his lifetime, there was no man except Hrómundr able to wield it in a fight, though he rarely used it.

Despite once serving as a weapon, the mistletoe despised its role in fair Baldr's death. Though it cannot relinquish the deadly form Loki forced it into, it concentrates as much of its power on gentler arts as possible. If Hrómundr – as is his custom – fights a battle without using it, he may kiss the hilt when it is finished. His prana will immediately be restored, and all his wounds healed.

Type: Anti-Personnel
    Range: 1-3
    Maximum Targets: 1 person

Legend
    The son of a peasant, Hrómundr trained himself to become a viciously effective warrior, despite lacking access to any proper weaponry or armour. He first came to the attention of his king, Óláfr, when he avenged his two champions who had fallen in the fight against Hröngviðr. Hröngviðr's sword was a powerful Noble Phantasm, which dulled any blades used against him so that they left no mark, and used that sharpness to always give itself a brittle razor's edge which would otherwise be impractical for combat. What's more, Hröngviðr could choose a man each day whom he would slay with it, and that was recorded as a fate to be fulfilled. Hrómundr took back the standard that Hröngviðr had taken from the champions and beat him to death with its staff.

Thereafter, he proved his effectiveness as the king's new champion in several adventures, including the retrieval of gold and the legendary Mistilltein from the lain of the draugr, Þráinn. However, others at Óláfr's court became jealous of him, and attacked him in an arena where the peasant's son had no defence – rumour and gossip. Though the Princess Svanhvít (sister to Óláfr) tried to defend him, seeing that their kingdom was far better served by the honest warrior than back-stabbing nobles, she could not change the king's mind. As he left the entourage of Óláfr, she gave him a spell-bound band, which she hoped could give her some control over the champion, as well as preserving him from danger until he could return.

As it turned out, she did not have long to wait. Hröngviðr's brother had some influence in a neighbouring Swedish kingdom, and an attack was launched on Óláfr's kingdom. In the battle, one of ringleaders in the conspiracy against Hrómundr was killed, and the other slipped away, never to return. Hrómundr was kept away by resentment against these two, and by a god-sent dream. When the omens seemed clear for him to rejoin the battle, he did so, killing Hröngviðr's brother and the sorceress who was turning the battle against Óláfr's forces.

Finally, they launched a retaliatory raid against Sweden and, by his killing of the enemy king, Hrómundr returned to Óláfr's favour. Svanhvít saw that the best thing for the kingdom would be to bind Hrómundr as closely to it as possible to avoid the pride of either Hrómundr or Óláfr plunging them all into another disaster. She married him, allowing Hrómundr the delusion that she truly loved him, and the kingdom prospered so long as the two lived.

In the Holy Grail War
    Hrómundr has more-or-less come back to just loot, fight and have his sort of fun. No overriding wish. Svanhvít appearing in his War is a possibility, and I can see him joining her as described in her eponymous Noble Phantasm. If that did happen, drama regarding him discovering/failing to discover the level on which she just uses him for the kingdom's sake rather than loving him would be an obvious direction, and were he to find out, a wish that she had loved him is certainly not out of the question.

As mentioned in Bravery, his combat style would mostly be bare-handed, except where he really needs the length/weight/toughness of Mistiltein. He can fight through pretty much any wound, can erase the effect of the most serious one, and can heal himself up completely at the end. So if he sees an opportunity not even to kill his opponent, but just to hamper them and improve his chances of victory, he'll willingly take ridiculous beatings for it and not be bothered. I would expect fight scenes involving him to be particularly bloody on both sides. (Gáe Bolg is obviously something of a hard counter to his abilities).

As well as his mentioned superstition, Hrómundr has a certain disregard for education and rhetoric, and isn't particularly good with words himself. Were he ever brought into something like the Kings' Feast, he'd be a less than stellar participant.

Sources
    Text: Guðni Jónsson and Bjarni Vilhjálmsson, Fornaldarsögur Norðurlanda, 1943-4

Translations: Nora Kershaw, Stories and Ballads of the Far Past, 1923 (via Germanic Mythology); Gavin Chapell, 2011 (via Northvegr)
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair