Page 325 of 782 FirstFirst ... 225275315320323324325326327330335375425 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,500 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Quote Originally Posted by
    [B
    Expert of Many Specializations: EX[/B]

According to the legend he didn't just posses all those skills, in fact, he mastered them.
    Besides giving Lugh access to a variety of abilities, it also ensures that he doesn't suffer from any mali if summoned as a different class (like not being able to use certain NP's because he wasn't summoned as a Lancer), furthermore it makes it really hard to pinpoint his real class down.

• Smith&Craftsman, Wright: Item Construction B
    • Champion&Swordsman: Battle Continuation B, Bravery B, Eye of The Mind (True) B, Instinct B
    • Harpist, Poet&Historian: Charisma A+
    • Hero: Charisma A+, Military Tactics A
    • Sorcerer: Magecraft B

Assassin has more than 32 skills of B rank and above and it's still only classed as A+. Why should Lugh have have EX rank when he only has 8 ? shouldn't this be more like B Territory ?

I mean if were sticking to the Celtic mythology on this one then the only servant who should have EX many specializations is Fionn mac cumhaill.

Just throwing it out there.

Also you could at least attempt to balance him .

Name: Periklymenus

Class:
    Rider (Not quite sure. Need help with the class for this one)

Parameters:
    Strength: A(+)(-)
    Endurance: B(+)(-)
    Agility: C(+)(-)
    Mana: B(+)(-)
    Luck: C(+)(-)

Class Skills:

Riding (A): The ability to ride all mounts except for Divine Beast and Phantasmal Beasts. Due to his abilities, he is capable of understanding live mounts to a great degree.

Personal Skills:

Animal Dialogue (B):
    The ability to communicate with animals that don't speak a language of words. At this rank, Rider can discern an animal's expressions as well as communicate with them using body language.

Shapeshifting (A): The ability to change one's form as necessary. A gift granted to Rider by his grandfather, Poseidon, one that has allowed him to give even Heracles a decent challenge before being slain. Rider can morph in an instant into any non-magical animal he is aware of. His transformations increase and decrease his parameters depending on his chosen form.

Divinity (B): The measurement of one's aptitude as a Divine Spirit. Rider was the grandson of Poseidon.

Noble Phantasm:

Argo, Swift Vessel of Many Heroes: A-rank Supplementary (C-Rank Supplementary):
    -The legendary ship of the Argonauts, blessed with more than a dozen magical and divine properties and abilities, ranging from being a powerful defense for those within it to having a prow that speaks prophecies. However, while Rider, being a member of the Argonauts, is capable of calling forth the ship, he is not as in tune with the ship as Jason and the others and can only use the ship's defensive properties.

Pylos, The Final Conflict: A-rank Supplementary
    -The city which Heracles laid siege to, with Periklymenus defending it. This Noble Phantasm symbolizes Rider's favored form as well as the form he used in his last clash with Greece's mightiest hero. It takes the form of a massive eagle with a crooked bill and sharp-hooked talons. It was said to be as fast as Zeus' lightning and it's talons were powerful enough to leave deep gouges in Heracles' face. In this form, Rider's attacks can ignore most defenses B-ranked and belowas well as God Hand due to his legend of being capable of wounding Heracles several times over. All of his parameters also increase by an entire rank.

Note: All that talk about the supposedly anti-Gil Bolivar made me want to make an anti-Hercules. I'm not sure what class someone like him is best suited for though so I went with Rider. As for his NP's, I wanted to give him a fighting chance against Hercules but will never gain the victory without outside interference (because of their epic battle at Pylos).
    F/SN x Disgaea Cross
    Crimson Spears

Kyouko-chaaaaan~
    Spoiler:

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolaire View Post
    Balance a god?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I mean, he has worse stats than Heracles.

Considering who we're talking about, that's about as balanced as can be expected.
    Last edited by Siriel; July 24th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ... after my last Servant sheet, my nationalist pride is kinda boiling to make Viriathus.

I couldn't find anything in his history that really sounded like an Noble Phantasm to me, though. <,<

Classic history experts, help? XD
    Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; July 24th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

You guys run for it while I cover you by having the Romans chase me around the field for eight hours: A-rank supplementary
    -Creates a bounded field in an area causing a psychological effect in any enemy within it. Those affected get an irresisitible urge to kill Viriathus for no reason whatsoever, allowing Viriathus' allies to kill them via cheap shot barrage.

Sorry, but I'm in class and I'm getting too damn bored.

UPDATE: Well, you can always flesh out the details and call it War of Fire, Battle of Fake Retreat or something
    Last edited by Rin-chan Kaihou; July 24th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    F/SN x Disgaea Cross
    Crimson Spears

Kyouko-chaaaaan~
    Spoiler:

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    xD
    You made me chuckle.

And actually, now that I think about it... he seemed pretty fond of the "fake retreat" tactic, and it did won him some important battles, so maybe that is NP material.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

英霊 Heroic Spirit
    I am making an Alphamon based Ether liner servant and am having trouble setting skills for him, any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    "Gilgamesh is always right, even when he's wrong."

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Dude, the EMIYA thing is just to differentiate him from the seventeen year old kid in the game. If this were a HGW taking place during Arthurian times that summoned Arthurian characters, we'd probably have to write out stuff differently there too, just to point out "this one is the currently existing one, this one is the summoned one."

Because Archer's class parameters are dumb and Saber's class parameters are awesome? And as said before, "help from the Counter Force" is literally not the issue. Saying Archer got his power from "help from the Counter Force" is like saying Arthur got her power from "help from the dragon inside her gut."
    This actually is an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Petrikow updates the list. Sometimes. And then I3uster adds it to the opening post.

I don't think any profile has ever been disqualified, but maybe they'll make an exception for you!
    So I was fretting over nothing but bad stares?!

You don't need to troll, you just did anyways, and badly...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Uhhh... I think you missed the point there Ammy.

Assassin has more than 32 skills of B rank and above and it's still only classed as A+. Why should Lugh have have EX rank when he only has 8 ? shouldn't this be more like B Territory ?

I mean if were sticking to the Celtic mythology on this one then the only servant who should have EX many specializations is Fionn mac cumhaill.

Just throwing it out there.

The reason I gave it EX is because Assassin's skills seemed more like 'basic' skills to me and the skills necessary to be a 'master' sorcerer, swordsman(which implies that he could be on par with the Saber class while wielding a sword) or a hero aren't exactly basic. Keep in mind that I personally gave him skills that I thought associate with the 'professions' he mastered, because just stating he is a 'Hero' and a 'Swordsman' just weren't enough firm information for my taste. And since he mastered them it actually implies it to be higher than B-Rank, but I felt kind of meh doing this for all (except for Charisma which is also linked towards Natural Body). But yeah, EX is probably a overkill, but I don't think dropping him below A+ would do any good?

And Frag as well as Brionac are canon, what I dislike myself is his armor as I already stated but my mind was already set in the wrong direction at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by deaddrunk View Post
    Balance a god?
    Well, he isn't a full-fledged god like Zeus or something and Fomorians as well Tuatha Dé Danann were considered divine in a way how Christianity thinks of Angels(at least that's how I understand it), they had their own gods after all too. He kinda got his god-status after his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    *Devil Survivor 2 flashbacks*

Damn you, Io. Why do you not have all those unique powers when playable?!
    I don't like playing handhelds on emulator, I own a european 3DS (I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MURRICAN ONE >___>...Etrian .___.) and I am not sure if it also regionblocks DS-Games nor do I have the money for it right now, so curse you D<.
    Last edited by Skyswimsky; July 25th, 2013 at 05:10 AM.

~Super Duper Nasty Torture~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    This actually is an answer.

So I was fretting over nothing but bad stares?!

You don't need to troll, you just did anyways, and badly...
    For what it's worth, I think the end result turned out more interesting for it. I appreciate that you were willing to debate and modify since a lot of people would just go 'nuh-uh', lol. It was just a tricky debate given that Nasu is, for better or worse, really dismissive of "modern hero" types - while at the same time pulling Emiya as an exception to the rule. Nasu loves to establish rules for the express purpose of having a rule breaker for it.

...Hrm, Lugh is an interesting choice. Especially given I vaguely remember it being mentioned in-game that his version of Gae Bolg would be the thrown version with the heart stab effect of the non-thrown version added on top, lol. I do wonder about the divinity aspect though - it seems hard to pull off where he gets the mortal humanity to be recorded in the Throne of Heroes. But it looks like you have a decent explanation for that, so I can't fault it too much. I'd probably err for at least A on Expert though, if not B. It seems to rank itself on the amount of skills, not how hard the skills are to learn, hence the "many specializations."
    Last edited by Sunny; July 25th, 2013 at 05:26 AM.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Angel View Post
    ...Hrm, Lugh is an interesting choice. Especially given I vaguely remember it being mentioned in-game that his version of Gae Bolg would be the thrown version with the heart stab effect of the non-thrown version added on top, lol.
    Nah, they said that but also that it would be the original version of Fragarach.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

夜魔 Nightmare
    I'd like to get an opinion: Would it be "wrong" to design a servant's Noble Phantasm based on a different hero's legend IF the two legends are linked?

Durendal is, in at least some legends, the reforged sword of Hector. But there isn't all that much to draw upon in the Iliad about the sword itself or Hector using it (no more than any spear he uses anyway) to try and make his sword into a Noble Phantasm. In contrast, there's plenty of lore surrounding Durendal to make up abilities with. So would it be a good compromise to try and "reverse engineer" a Durendal design into a Noble Phantasm for Hector, even though it wouldn't really have any basis in Hector's story, because of the connection between Durendal and Hector's Sword?

The other option would just be to create a "fighting style" Phantasm like Nine Lives, which someone else did when they made Hector an Archer, but I'm curious about the idea I already have being at all valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyswimsky View Post

And Frag as well as Brionac are canon, what I dislike myself is his armor as I already stated but my mind was already set in the wrong direction at this moment.
    Well personally another one of my problems comes from Fragers im afraid. Cu Chulainn also had fragrach,yet a lancer Cu can't use it.

What im trying to get at is giving a sword based weapon to a lancer (Who already has a spear) seems a bit off yknow. Personally i don't have a problem with the armor at all, as it could fit any class- grand enough.

Just take Cu for example if your going to think up class based weapons, EG

Saber cu - Fragrach , two functions. the retaliator (See atraxia) and the Answerer (Can't tell a lie with the sword pointed at you)
    Archer Cu - Hurley/Sliathar and Ten Apples
    Berserker Cu - Warp Spasm
    Rider Cu - Chariot with the king of horses driven by the king of Charioteers

What im trying to get at is that Fragers seems out of place on a Lancer Class, the same as it is for Cu.

Also an A++ anti army NP on a C rank character seems a bit wonky but then again mana limits have always been shifty at best.

Anyway these are just my own opinions and stuff, so yknow pinch of salt and whatnot.

夜魔 Nightmare
    What im trying to get at is giving a sword based weapon to a lancer (Who already has a spear) seems a bit off yknow.
    Pretty much this. Nasu kind of made a joke about this very subject when some Westaboo asked why Diarmuid didn't use his magic swords as well as his magic spears during the grail war. I think he answered that he would have seen it as "uncooth," or something, but regardless the obvious answer is: he is Lancer, not Saber, therefore he did not have his swords.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I'd like to get an opinion: Would it be "wrong" to design a servant's Noble Phantasm based on a different hero's legend IF the two legends are linked?

Durendal is, in at least some legends, the reforged sword of Hector. But there isn't all that much to draw upon in the Iliad about the sword itself or Hector using it (no more than any spear he uses anyway) to try and make his sword into a Noble Phantasm. In contrast, there's plenty of lore surrounding Durendal to make up abilities with. So would it be a good compromise to try and "reverse engineer" a Durendal design into a Noble Phantasm for Hector, even though it wouldn't really have any basis in Hector's story, because of the connection between Durendal and Hector's Sword?

The other option would just be to create a "fighting style" Phantasm like Nine Lives, which someone else did when they made Hector an Archer, but I'm curious about the idea I already have being at all valid.
    Merodach became Gram/Balmung/Nothing became Caliburn. Weapons/legends have prototypes, and aren't necessarily bound to one hero.

It's perfectly fine for Hector to have Durendal; it just wouldn't be Durendal - it would be a sword that's the prototype of Durendal, before it acquired the legend of Durendal.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

夜魔 Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Merodach became Gram/Balmung/Nothing became Caliburn. Weapons/legends have prototypes, and aren't necessarily bound to one hero.

It's perfectly fine for Hector to have Durendal; it just wouldn't be Durendal - it would be a sword that's the prototype of Durendal, before it acquired the legend of Durendal.
    Right, I remember that with the whole Gate of Babylon thing. With GoB proto-weapons they're the origin of the weapon's story archetype, IE the Unbreakable Sword, the Heart Stabbing Spear, the King Selection Sword, etc, and don't necessarily share the powers their descendants have. Gil's Proto Bolg seems to be able to home in on hearts, but it probably can't reverse causality or explode into a million thorns and kill and army. If his Proto-Durendal fought Roland's, Roland's would break because it's concept of Unbreakable Sword is older, but it wouldn't necessarily have any other powers that Durendal might attribute to itself, like blowing holes in mountains or having saint bodyparts in its hilt.

If I was just going to have Hector's sword be an earlier "unbreakable sword" then that would be that. What I was more curious about was if it would be unreasonable to sort of extrapolate out an alternative concept from that later version, even if it would have no direct basis in Hector's legend, and make him a new Noble Phantasm out of whole cloth.

I guess to make it clear what I mean I should be more specific: The idea I had is that even though Durendal's legend became known for being The Unbreakable Sword, its actual concept is Sword That Channels Divinity. It became unbreakable because it was channeling holy power from the artifacts of the Saints that went into its construction. So rather than having an earlier Unbreakable Sword, Hector has a sword that channels power from the Greek Pantheon. That would also explain why in GoB the Unbreakable Prototype is recognized as Durendal rather than some earlier version, because there was a divergence in the legend.

The issue is that it doesn't really have any direct basis in Hector's story unless you really want to finagle all those times Zeus and Apollo helped him out on the battlefield. It's an extrapolation of an extrapolation from the legend of an entirely different hero. I THINK the logic of it is reasonable, but I just want to know if its a bridge too far for the Nasu rules to swallow.
    Last edited by Sanguine; July 25th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Right, I remember that with the whole Gate of Babylon thing. With GoB proto-weapons they're the origin of the weapon's story archetype, IE the Unbreakable Sword, the Heart Stabbing Spear, the King Selection Sword, etc, and don't necessarily share the powers their descendants have. Gil's Proto Bolg seems to be able to home in on hearts, but it probably can't reverse causality or explode into a million thorns and kill and army. If his Proto-Durendal fought Roland's, Roland's would break because it's concept of Unbreakable Sword is older, but it wouldn't necessarily have any other powers that Durendal might attribute to itself, like blowing holes in mountains or having saint bodyparts in its hilt.

If I was just going to have Hector's sword be an earlier "unbreakable sword" then that would be that. What I was more curious about was if it would be unreasonable to sort of extrapolate out an alternative concept from that later version, even if it would have no direct basis in Hector's legend, and make him a new Noble Phantasm out of whole cloth.

I guess to make it clear what I mean I should be more specific: The idea I had is that even though Durendal's legend became known for being The Unbreakable Sword, its actual concept is Sword That Channels Divinity. It became unbreakable because it was channeling holy power from the artifacts of the Saints that went into its construction. So rather than having an earlier Unbreakable Sword, Hector has a sword that channels power from the Greek Pantheon. That would also explain why in GoB the Unbreakable Prototype is recognized as Durendal rather than some earlier version, because there was a divergence in the legend.

The issue is that it doesn't really have any direct basis in Hector's story unless you really want to work hard finagaling all those times Zeus and Apollo helped him out on the battlefield. It's an extrapolation of an extrapolation from the legend of an entirely different hero. I THINK the logic of it is reasonable, but I just want to know if its a bridge too far for the Nasu rules to swallow.
    That's an interesting idea

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Xyphos's Avatar
    Since there's clearly not going to be another Fate/Extra RP anytime soon, I'll finally go ahead and post this Servant.

And yes, I genderbent him, complete with a (semi?) tragic storyline.

Torii Mototada
    Class: Saber

Faceclaim

Appearance (In place of the giant image in the spoiler):

Mototada appears as a young woman with a slim build, though this is hidden well with her traditional samurai armour, plate and chainmail covering almost all her body atop a white kimono and hakama, just barely exposing the black greaves and sabatons she wears on her feet. She would only leave her face and fingers uncovered, her visible porcelain white skin unmarred by any signs of battle. Contrasting sharply with her pale skin is her long black hair, tied behind her into two short tails by the sides of her head and a single long tail that almost reached her shins.

Parameters:
    Strength – B
    Endurance – A
    Agility – B
    Prana – C
    Luck – E

Gender - Female
    Alignment - Lawful Neutral

Hair Colour - Black
    Eye Colour - Blue
    Measurements - 79 - 61 - 78 cm
    Height - 169 cm
    Weight - 61 kg

Class Skills:

Magic Resistance Rank B

Riding Rank C

Personal Skills:

Battle Continuation Rank A
    The ability to survive and continue fighting even after sustaining injuries.
    At this rank, Saber can continue fighting even on the verge of death, and can only be felled by a blow that leaves no other choice but death. Crippling, or lighter, wounds have little to no effect on Saber’s combat effectiveness, moving such wounded body parts through sheer force of will and effort.

- Saber gains this skill due to the delaying action she successfully fought at Fushimi Castle. Against a force of 40,000 men, her garrison of 2,000 managed to hold out for 11 days. Out of those, the last four of those days she held on with only 200 men; a considerable feat considering Fushimi Castle was actually built as a luxury retirement palace, rather than a proper, defensible Fortress.

Bravery Rank B

The ability to cancel out mental interferences such as pressure, confusion, mesmerisation, etc.
    At this rank, Saber is highly resistant to all mental interferences, including distractions, emotions, illusions, pain, etc. When fighting opponents that are more powerful than she is, or has an advantage against her, her STR increases by one level.

- Months before the siege of Fushimi Castle came to reality; Saber was more than willing to volunteer for the job of leading the defence of the Castle, even though everyone knew that such a job would mean certain death. There are even unsubstantiated claims that she even asked her Lord to reduce the size of the garrison at the Castle, believing that they would be better used elsewhere. Her bravery, and loyalty, is unquestionable.

Eye of the Mind (True) Rank B

The ability to execute rapid and precise judgements, commands and actions gained through experience and training.
    At this rank, Saber is capable of calmly analysing situations even during a battle. As long as there is at least one percent chance of victory, they will be able to devise a plan using all assets available to exploit that possibility.

- Saber has experienced, and lived through numerous campaigns before literally signing her Death Wish. If her Lord is to be believed in that he fought in a total of 90 battles throughout his life, then Saber has accompanied him through at least 60 of them, if not more. The foresight that she demonstrated through her life, and when she volunteered to command the garrison at Fushimi Castle also powers this skill.

Noble Phantasms:

Sekigahara: Defence of Fushimi Castle
    Type: Anti-Army
    Max Targets: 999
    Max Range: 99

Warriors of Tokugawa Ieyasu!
    The enemy is at our very doorstep!
    They threaten us, our families and our Lord with Death!
    Do they have no Shame?! Do they have no Honour!?!
    Such insult cannot go unpunished!
    So I ask of you all: What is our answer?!

Upon activation of this Noble Phantasm, the Gates of Fushimi Castle will materialise behind her, and from it will pour out the 2,000 horsemen that she had commanded during the defence. True to history, the Garrison is usually used by Mototada as a delaying action if she is caught in a situation where she deems it necessary to wait for her opponent’s strength to wane (such as if she is caught within a Reality Marble). She can initially materialise her men for 10 minutes, as long as they are not killed.

If they are killed, then they will not revive, but the remaining horsemen will have their materialisation time extended, at a rate of roughly 2 deaths per second. I.e. if 120 of the contingent die, then the remaining 1880 men will stay in the world for an extra one minute. Should all 2,000 be killed before the full duration is complete (i.e. before 26 minutes has passed since the activation of the Noble Phantasm), Mototada gains an extra rank in Strength and Agility for the remainder of the battle.

While normally Saber would need skill in Charisma to keep the morale of these horsemen high, their devotion to their final cause means that this is unnecessary. For just as they were at death, each and every man within the 2,000 was willing to die for the greater good. It is difficult to shake the morale of these troops; and each has the statistics equivalent to that of an overall-ranked E Servant.

This Noble Phantasm represents the unwavering loyalty of the men she commanded on the days leading to her death. It also represents how the delaying action fought by the 2,000 men brought about an even greater victory in the long run. It is also her most recognisable Noble Phantasm due to the Gates of Fushimi Castle appearing.

Bushido: The way of the Warrior
    Type: Anti-Unit (Support)
    Max Targets: 1
    Range: 1

Being affected by avarice for office and rank …
    Will not one then begin to value his life?
    And how can a man commit acts of martial valour if he values his life?

This Noble Phantasm is a testament to Mototada’s steadfast loyalty to his Master, even as she plunged headlong into the face of death. Should she ever feel that her life was on its last strings, she may activate this Noble Phantasm by drawing her sword, and plunging it into her stomach.

Upon disembowelling herself, she will fall limp for several seconds, before her body will begin to completely regenerate over the course of a few more seconds. Once this is complete, she will then be able to return to the battlefield at full strength, both physically and mentally. It is in effect a reset button for her battle status.

She can use this ability as many times as she wishes; as long as she gets to strike the finishing blow upon herself, and there is sufficient prana reserves to fuel such rapid regenerative efforts.

This re-enacts the ritual suicide Samurai are known to perform should they wish to atone for whatever dishonourable act they may have committed. It is also performed if they were about to be captured by the enemy, to save face and their honour. Torii Mototada’s instance of this ritual is one of the most celebrated in all of Japan.

Backstory:

Torii Mototada was born in 1539 in the town of Okazaki in the Aichi Prefecture of Japan, to Torii Tadayoshi who was a long-time retainer of Matsudaira Hirotada, and later his son, Matsudaira Takechiyo. In later years, Takechiyo will have changed his name to the more well-known Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder and first Shogun of Japan.

Contrary to how history is recorded, Torii Mototada has been reincarnated in this Holy Grail War as a woman. This is due to the fact that Torii Tadayoshi had no male offspring; Torii Mototada was his first, and only child, Tadayoshi’s wife dying during childbirth. As was becoming more and more predominant in Feudal Japan, women were being relegated to ‘housekeeping’ duty, and males taking a more dominant role in society. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Tadayoshi was a very frugal and principled man, deciding not to take another lover nor adopting another into the clan as his successor. Because of these complications, Tadayoshi decided to raise his daughter as a man suitable to inherit the Torii clan’s leadership.

Masquerading as a boy (age 11), Mototada was sent as a hostage to the rival Imagawa Clan, alongside the then-Takechiyo (age 7). This was essentially a hostage trade, where the heads of two clans would trade their offspring with the other to cement an alliance. Regardless, during this period Mototada was already serving as Takechiyo’s page, the two sharing the same relationship as their fathers did beforehand. This bond of friendship, and loyalty between Master and Vassal would continue for the rest of their lives.

In the year 1556, Takechiyo left the Imagawa clan’s grasp, alongside Mototada. Serving under Takechiyo, Mototada soon became one of his chief generals. Takechiyo would change his name three times from 1556 onwards, eventually settling on the name Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1567. In 1572, Mototada then succeeded as the head of the Torii clan, following the death of her father.

In her personal life, she never did find a suitor, nor did she retire from the battlefield. To her, her entire life was dedicated to serving her Lord, and bringing him victory. To her, helping her Lord and friend triumph amongst all that stood in his way was far better than living a sedentary life away from the battlefield. But perhaps unbeknownst to even her, it is because she shared such a bond with her Lord, that she felt she could not find a suitor. Without realising it in life, the bond between Master and Vassal changed into something a little more, even if it was just one-sided.

To Japan, she was a man, a loyal follower of Tokugawa Ieyasu on his rise to power. She understood that if she were to upset the status quo expected between the two of them, even in private, who knows what may happened to her Lord's claim to the title of Shogun.

However, she realised as well the need for descendants to carry on the Torii name, as well as supporting the Tokugawa clan’s rise to control. As a result, she began adopting boys into the family. The first and eldest, Torii Tadamasa, was adopted at some time before Mototada even became the head of the Clan. This was a source of contention with her father; he wished for the Torii bloodline to stay somewhat pure, otherwise he himself would have adopted rather than raise Mototada as his heir. Regardless, he understood her reasons for this, both as a loyal vassal of the Tokugawa family, as well as a warrior.

This foresight was characteristic of her, and she demonstrated it frequently during her life. It served her well during all the campaigns that she partook in, all alongside her Lord Ieyasu. One of the more notable combat actions she served in was when she led a rearguard group of 2,000 horsemen against a force five times larger, and winning handily. And of course, her foresight was also one of the main reasons why she quite literally volunteered to run to her death, raising her name to Legend.

The year was 1600, and Japan was still in the throes of war; the East versus the West. Tokugawa Ieyasu was now one of Japan’s most powerful Daimyos at the head of what was known as the Eastern Army. And under his care, was a location known as Fushimi Castle.

Ieyasu recognised Fushimi Castle as a very important target for his enemies; it stood close to the eastern capital of Kyoto, while guarding many approaches towards, and past, the city. Visiting the Castle one day, he consulted, and revealed his fears to his lifelong friend. As a loyal vassal, Mototada promised her Lord that she herself will stay at the castle, sacrificing herself in the process. In doing so, Ieyasu can then focus his attention elsewhere so as to bring about an even greater victory that would overshadow the defeat at Fushimi Castle.

Soon after, spies informed Mototada of a force of 40,000 men, loyal to a Western Lord known as Toyotomi Hideyoshi under the command of Ishida Mitsunari, was on its way to crush Fushimi Castle. While Lord Hideyoshi had died two years ago, his followers believed that Ieyasu should not be allowed to gain complete control of Japan. It was August of the year 1600, just after the start of what would be known as the Sekigahara Campaign; one of the last major campaigns before Japan was fully united under the Tokugawa clan.

Torii Mototada’s garrison of 2,000 warriors at Fushimi Castle faced off against the army of 40,000 men, who arrived on the scene on the 27th August, 1600. Even against an army of that size, there was still an opportunity to retreat; to rethink this reckless, and ultimately fatal, show of bravado. However, Mototada refused to back down, and the siege commenced.

It took the invading forces a full week to breach the castle’s outer defences. By the end of that week, only 200 men remained under Mototada’s command, along with Fushimi Castle’s main tower. With the enemy still outside, Mototada ordered her remaining forces to charge out again and again from the tower into the enemy’s grossly large army for another four gruelling days until only 10 men were left.

Finally at this point, Mototada accepted that it was time. As was customary, she committed ritual suicide instead of allowing herself to be taken captive on the 7th September, 1600. Her Lord Ieyasu, was greatly saddened by the news of his lifelong-friend, and vassal’s, death.

The invading army had reportedly lost 3,000 men in the siege of the castle. But more importantly, it had lost 11 days in which it could have spent chasing Ieyasu down. Many believe that Mototada’s selfless sacrifice and defence of Fushimi Castle, is one of the decisive moments that lent victory to Ieyasu at the Battle of Sekigahara, and cementing the unification of Japan.

Though Ieyasu knew of Mototada’s true gender, he chose not to reveal it; rather letting her lifelong masquerade continue even after her death. Well, her real gender was only known to a few people, but he just wanted to make sure. In his opinion, this made sure that Mototada’s sacrifice would not be forgotten due to the fact that she was just a woman. The Edo Period, which continued for two centuries after his rise to power, did see a great reduction in the status of women in feudal Japan, where they were expected to be more quiet, passive, and obedient.

This of course was almost the exact opposite of Mototada’s true nature, and a reason as to why she and he became such lifelong friends. While she treats other people civilly and with due respect, she can be very vocal and unafraid to voice her own opinion on matters. If she believes something to be the right decision she will push for it incessantly. Regardless, she is also fiercely loyal to those she deems worthy of it, and she is more than willing to endanger her life, at least until her Master reaches the Holy Grail.

She is content with how she led her life, and how she died: To her, the ends did justify the means, and she doesn’t really mind the fact that she went down in history as a man.

In hindsight however, she has realised her buried feelings for her Lord, and has concluded, in private, that it was perhaps because of these feelings, that she chose to rush to her death. The burden of being so close to a loved one, yet never being able to bridge that one last step for so many decades, can take it's toll on one's mentality. Perhaps, she admits, her noble sacrifice was instead an act of cowardice in itself, and an inability to maintain the burden of her unspoken love.

Torii Mototada’s death is perhaps one of the most celebrated instances of Seppuku in Japanese history. It represented the extreme loyalty that Samurai were expected to display for their Lord in the face of all hardships.

Comments? Or is there really nothing else that can be improved with her?

I know everyone's tired of the whole 'Summon Army' idea, but I tried giving her version a little twist. As in life, her main goal in the fight is to exhaust the enemy into submission. Unfortunately this won't do any good vs Herk, but then again what does?

Fancy a Fate/Extra Fanfic?
    Never played Fate/Extra? Don't have a PSP? Have the next best thing.
    Amateur's Fox Tail CCC clean attempts