Page 179 of 221 FirstFirst ... 79129169174177178179180181184189 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Just watched "Murder On the Orient Express". Damn it, Hollywood, stop turning drama into melodrama, and stop shoehorning action scenes everywhere!
    That said, it's an enjoyable movie, and there were some interesting elements in it which I felt were inspired by "Curtain". I'd definitely recommend the novel over it, but if you must, it's not a bad way at all to know the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    All those cameos in the trailer of "Ready Player One" made me smile.

But the Gundam appearing was my absolute favourite. <3
    half the book-readers I've talked to have said it's good

the other half say it's total shit

any opinions here?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed the book
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    half the book-readers I've talked to have said it's good the other half say it's total shit any opinions here?
    I know it's not technically a video game movie, but I have the feeling it's going to be a video game movie. Then there's this except, which feels way too nostalgia baiting to be taken seriously.
    I made a big entrance when I arrived in my flying DeLorean, which I’d obtained by completing a Back to the Future quest on the planet Zemeckis. The DeLorean came outfitted with a (nonfunctioning) flux capacitor, but I’d made several additions to its equipment and appearance. First, I’d installed an artificially intelligent onboard computer named KITT (pur- chased in an online auction) into the dashboard, along with a matching red Knight Rider scanner just above the DeLorean’s grill. Then I’d outfit- ted the car with an oscillation overthruster, a device that allowed it to travel through solid matter. Finally, to complete my ’80s super-vehicle theme, I’d slapped a Ghostbusters logo on each of the DeLorean’s gull- wing doors, then added personalized plates that read ect o-88. I’d had it only a few weeks now, but my time-traveling, Ghost Bust- ing, Knight Riding, matter-penetrating DeLorean had already become my avatar’s trademark
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    The book is sort of a mixed bag. It has an enjoyable, if predictable, plot--it feels very anime, in fact, comparable to SAO or Accel World in a lot of ways, although if you think of the sort of culture it references, its also a lot like, say, The Last Starfighter. The references depend on whether you like that sort of thing and what generation you're from. The prose is fanfiction level though, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is a good way to mean that.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Just watched "Murder On the Orient Express". Damn it, Hollywood, stop turning drama into melodrama, and stop shoehorning action scenes everywhere!
    I was very worried that they'd do this just from watching the trailers.

That said, it's an enjoyable movie, and there were some interesting elements in it which I felt were inspired by "Curtain". I'd definitely recommend the novel over it, but if you must, it's not a bad way at all to know the story.
    Oh? I'd be curious to hear what connected it to Curtain.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

There was only like 1 action scene that I can think of, but even that one was pretty unnecessary, yeah

And yeah. It was alright. Not standout and somewhat wasteful of its incredible cast but enjoyable all the same. Branagh was good, as was his mustache.

My friend made me go see the new Star Wars movie even though neither of us saw the two newer ones because he doesn't like them and I didn't get a chance to see them before this movie. You see, my friend got forced to see the movie by his friend and my friend made me go to "share the suffering with him". My friend even payed for both of our tickets. I liked the movie, but I didn't know what was happening at all. So that's what I did last night besides getting free pizza and going out to DQ after the movie.
    Last edited by Laserman; December 17th, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Oh? I'd be curious to hear what connected it to Curtain.
    Think of the decision Poirot has to make at the end of this movie and compare it to the one he has to make in "Curtain".

Spoiler:
    In both stories he has to think of whether the murder of a criminal beyond the reach of the law can, in fact, be considered a form of justice. In the novel, Poirot had no problem absolving himself of the responsibility of accusing the 12 passengers; in this movie, though, they've made him much more conflicted about it, much like he is in "Curtain" when he decides the only way to stop Norman is to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    There was only like 1 action scene that I can think of, [...]
    There was the one with Poirot chasing a suspect, and the one with Poirot fighting a suspect. I'd even count the beginning of the movie as one.

Blog Entries
    Think of the decision Poirot has to make at the end of this movie and compare it to the one he has to make in "Curtain".

Spoiler:
    In both stories he has to think of whether the murder of a criminal beyond the reach of the law can, in fact, be considered a form of justice. In the novel, Poirot had no problem absolving himself of the responsibility of accusing the 12 passengers; in this movie, though, they've made him much more conflicted about it, much like he is in "Curtain" when he decides the only way to stop Norman is to kill him.
    Ugh, don't remind me. Orient was already a bad book, but that final scene always grinded my gears as it goes completely against Poirot's character.
    Rant + Spoilers for both Orient & Curtain
    Poirot was always staunchly against murder as it went against both his Christian beliefs and his sense of duty as a former policeman. In Curtain the drama made sense since Poirot was trying to stop a murderer at all cost and pays for it at the end of the story.

But in Orient, after extensively explaining his theory of who the killer is...he just lets them go. He doesn't even inform the Yugoslavian police or anything. His reasoning for doing so doesn't even make any sense, it's just argh!!!

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Having only seen the film,

Spoiler:
    [I thought the reasoning was that in this case they weren't murderers but victims, especially the mastermind.

I could buy that, coming from Brannagh's very sentimental portrayal of Poirot (compared to other portrayals of the character I've seen before).]
    don't quote me on this

Ugh, don't remind me. Orient was already a bad book, [...]
    *GASP*

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Having only seen the film,

Spoiler:
    [I thought the reasoning was that in this case they weren't murderers but victims, especially the mastermind.

I could buy that, coming from Brannagh's very sentimental portrayal of Poirot (compared to other portrayals of the character I've seen before).]
    That's basically it in the novel, too. Plus, Poirot is actually very pragmatic when it comes to understanding the limits of what he can do in the pursuit of justice. In one of the books - argh, I can't remember which - he even tries to warn the murderer not to do what they intended, but fails, as he predicted he would.

Blog Entries
    *GASP*
    YES, and I'd even go as far as to say it's the weakest Poirot novel.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So yesterday I watched Star Wars for the first time, Episode IV of course.

Spoiler:

It was pretty good, though I think the incredible popularity may have inflated my expectations, so while I enjoyed it, I also expected much more. Oh, I should mention the only spoilers I know are that Vader is Luke's father (Anakin?) and that Leia is his sister, otherwise I'm completely blind.

Anyway, my biggest issue is the pacing, it gives no time for the characters to react to the events of the story, or for the viewer to take in the more tragic scenes.
    For example: Luke sees the burnt corpses of his on family but he is immediately ready to go on an adventure to avenge them; Alderaan is destroyed but after the initial shock, Leia is ready to fight for the revolution; Obi-Wan "dies" (he obviously survived) and Luke has a very quick talk with Leia but that's it. There's no breathing room, the movie seems like it is in a rush. I initially thought their acting was the reason, but since I found the main trio very charismatic and loved the androids, I find it hard to put the blame on them.

The story itself had some really dumb moments, like R2D2 being able to hack into the best military base ever (isn't he supposed to be a really common model of android?) or the fact that the Death Star has an opening that goes directly into it's core (really? how do you overlook that during construction? that's just idiotic).
    I also don't really like the Force because it seems to be just a very convenient excuse to have things happen, specially during the final mission when it allows Luke to hit the target. Luke even mentioned before how it was just like throwing something in the rat burrows in his home planet, I was sure we would see a connection there to justify him saving the day! I would've preferred that over the Force helping him.

Also, Vader! What a surprise! I imagined he would be much more threatening and... distant from regular people. Right now he seems like just a particularly powerful soldier of the empire, he isn't even the highest raking member apparently? Damn, my view of him was completely different, I wonder if his role in the other movies will help me see why he's such an iconic villain.

Overall I liked it, a very entertaining movie from start to finish. I hope the main cast stays the same, and I'm very interested to see if the other movies will show me why Star Wars has such a massive following.

I'm planning to see Episode V, the prequels, and then VI--as that seems to be the most popular watch order--but some of my friends are trying to convince me to watch Rogue One before Episode V, which I'm reluctant to so since it's so recent. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by pinetree; December 18th, 2017 at 04:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Watch everything in release order, don't listen to anything else anything says about the movies, because finding someone to go into Star Wars relatively clean is immensely interesting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    So yesterday I watched Star Wars for the first time, Episode IV of course.

Spoiler:

It was pretty good, though I think the incredible popularity may have inflated my expectations, so while I enjoyed it, I also expected much more. Oh, I should mention the only spoilers I know are that Vader is Luke's father (Anakin?) and that Leia is his sister, otherwise I'm completely blind.

Anyway, my biggest issue is the pacing, it gives no time for the characters to react to the events of the story, or for the viewer to take in the more tragic scenes.
    For example: Luke sees the burnt corpses of his on family but he is immediately ready to go on an adventure to avenge them; Alderaan is destroyed but after the initial shock, Leia is ready to fight for the revolution; Obi-Wan "dies" (he obviously survived) and Luke has a very quick talk with Leia but that's it. There's no breathing room, the movie seems like it is in a rush. I initially thought their acting was the reason, but since I found the main trio very charismatic and loved the androids, I find it hard to put the blame on them.

The story itself had some really dumb moments, like R2D2 being able to hack into the best military base ever (isn't he supposed to be a really common model of android?) or the fact that the Death Star has an opening that goes directly into it's core (really? how do you overlook that during construction? that's just idiotic).
    I also don't really like the Force because it seems to be just a very convenient excuse to have things happen, specially during the final mission when it allows Luke to hit the target. Luke even mentioned before how it was just like throwing something in the rat burrows in his home planet, I was sure we would see a connection there to justify him saving the day! I would've preferred that over the Force helping him.

Also, Vader! What a surprise! I imagined he would be much more threatening and... distant from regular people. Right now he seems like just a particularly powerful soldier of the empire, he isn't even the highest raking member apparently? Damn, my view of him was completely different, I wonder if his role in the other movies will help me see why he's such an iconic villain.

Overall I liked it, a very entertaining movie from start to finish. I hope the main cast stays the same, and I'm very interested to see if the other movies will show me why Star Wars has such a massive following.

I'm planning to see Episode V, the prequels, and then VI--as that seems to be the most popular watch order--but some of my friends are trying to convince me to watch Rogue One before Episode V, which I'm reluctant to so since it's so recent. Any thoughts on this?
    You should definitely watch V then VI, and leave the prequels for later.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Watch everything in release order, don't listen to anything else anything says about the movies, because finding someone to go into Star Wars relatively clean is immensely interesting to me.
    This.

I saw the whole thing with my relatively unspoiled wife in release order, it was priceless.
    don't quote me on this

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    finding someone to go into Star Wars relatively clean is immensely interesting to me.
    Yeah, every person I tell about it has the same reaction, I guess I'm a really rare specimen.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    You should definitely watch V then VI, and leave the prequels for later.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    This.

I saw the whole thing with my relatively unspoiled wife in release order, it was priceless.
    That was my intention before others convinced me otherwise, so I'll be sure to watch it release order now.

Is the "Machete Order" not as popular as I thought it was then?

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's ever been particularly popular, but no alternate order has ever been 'popular': they're all moot points because almost nobody has the chance to use them. They fall more into the same category of prequel fan edits of trying to fanfiction how they wished Star Wars was.

e: though I remember an article series where someone showed his kids 4 5 1 2 3 6 which made a fair amount of sense for kids specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?