Page 56 of 131 FirstFirst ... 6465154555657586166106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2614

Thread: That Ever Illusive Utopia

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle B.B. Rain's Avatar
    Touko's pretty badass...Could she build a successor Ilya, identical to the original, except with more lifespan?

Kind of like how she built a successor Touko, at least 2-12 years before the 5th?

I mean, I assume she'd continue refining her craft in the interim, and be now able to do it to someone else instead of just herself.

Blog Entries
    Archerko LIVES!

But no, Archer lost his Ilya, couldn't come to an agreement with Saber, and I don't know what was going on with him and Rin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermitfold View Post
    Therefore Saber lives in Illya route, making it awesome.

hmm......um....well gee, I had thought that the only actual, really plausible way given what we know of ilya's situation was if she actually used the powers as a grail to realize the third and made herself immortal, but I guess we do already know she can herself maintain a servant without the grail, she did for berserker, and he is much more of a strain then saber...I suppose it might have been possible to transfer the contract to saber and then pass her avalon. inert avalon probably couldn't do the job, but active with saber.....that might actually work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

US Friend Code
    still in the end it has been decided by elf that Archer lost his Ilya, couldn't come to an agreement with Saber, the only thing elf has not decided yet is his relationship with rin so eveyone lets try to give her more ideas there.

Blog Entries
    And for those who want to read the story but don't want to muck through a billion comments, it's up to Chapter 7 at Fanfiction.net here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7139568/...llusive_Utopia

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rajvir View Post
    Well if Saber survies that makes ilya route more bareable personaly I admit if there had been an ilya route I would have only done it if it showed me how archer came to be.
    Chump. >=/

And thanks for the FF.net linkage, Elf. I'll need to peruse that later because COMMENTS. =)
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Chapter Twelve
    Unlikely Saviors

Archer once again had the phone cradled between his ear and his shoulder as he lifted the lid to the rice cooker. Steam rolled up in pale gray waves and filled the room and the fluffy, white kernels inside were carefully prodded with a spoon. The dial tone was loud in Archer’s ears as he waited for the click and a familiar voice to answer.

“Hello, Emiya Residence,” Sakura’s voice answered after the fourth ring. There was a slight, breathy quality to it, meaning she probably had to run to the phone to answer it in time.

Archer answered, “Hey Sakura.”

“Oh, Archer,” Sakura replied with a tiny sigh.

He said, “Not who you were hoping for?”

“Well, you know I don’t mind it when you call, and you don’t visit often enough with Nee-san gone, but . . .” Sakura cut the sentence short with another low sigh.

Archer said, “Saber’s late and you were hoping that she was calling.”

“It’s down right eerie when you do that, Archer,” Sakura said before there was a subtle shift over the other line.

Archer nodded and said, “That’s why I’m calling. She’s okay, Sakura. I invited her to dinner.”

“Oh?” Sakura said as her voice rose in a light lit.

He nodded and said, “I’d promised Rin that I’d keep track of her while she was gone and I ran into her in town. Since she’s been so distant since ever . . .”

“Sempai said you were going to try to help her,” Sakura said with a chuckle, “You know, you don’t have to keep secrets anymore. It’s only going to hurt you in the long run.”

“Old habits die hard, Sakura. Besides, I didn’t want you to worry,” Archer answered.

There was another exasperated sigh and Sakura said, “I’d worry more when I’m catching you in a lie, but thanks for calling me.”

“Well it was rather spontaneous and took a while to convenience her to come with me,” Archer replied, “I should have called sooner.”

Sakura said, “Next time don’t let it happen again. Still, thank you for helping her.” Her voice softened and said, “I . . . It’s been hard.”

Archer frowned and switched off the rice cooker. He replied, “I know. For all of you.”

“Except Rider. She’s thriving,” Sakura said brightly.

Archer grinned and said, “Of course. This world holds wonders and possibilities she couldn’t have in life.”

“Still, please take care of her,” Sakura said, her voice softening again.

He nodded and said, “I will.”

“Thank you,” she said with another sigh.

He said, “You’re welcome. Now you’d better get back to the kitchen or the alfredo sauce you’re working on is going to scorch.”

“Damn! Talk to you later, Archer and don’t be a stranger, but I have to go . . .” she said before the line clicked.

Archer set the cordless back into its cradle before going back to the miso soup he was preparing. Luckily he had all of the things in his pantry and refrigerator to make his specialties. Despite all of his travels and apparent mastery of various cooking styles, he was still the best at preparing Japanese food with Western food being his second best. Even now his Chinese wasn’t on par with Rin’s, even though the rest of his culinary skills were beyond Sakura, Shirou, and Rin’s.

Then again, I’m older and have more experience, he thought wirily as he grabbed a few eggs and a mixing bowl. As the delicate shells were cracked, he could hear the washing machine and the shower still running. He had started with Saber’s street clothes and would put them in the dryer and tend to her uniform next since it needed to be washed on a different cycle. He figured either Saber would be in the shower for quite some time scrubbing herself to, mentally more than anything, rid herself of Gilgamesh’s taint, or be as quick as possible.

Either way the food was going to take some time to prepare and he wasn’t going to start boiling water for tea until he heard the shower go off.

The eggs were rapidly beaten before flower and cabbage were added to the mix to create a thick slurry. Archer poured the mixture on a heated pan and automatically it began to sizzle, the eggs erupting in golden yellow bubbles. It wasn’t long before the edges were turning a golden brown and needed to be flipped to cook the other side. The process was repeated until the bowl was empty and several of the flat omelets were on a plate he promptly covered to keep warm.

In the washroom, the shower shut off and Archer turned on the burner with the tea kettle in it. Flames erupted in a brilliant blue wash before gentling to yellow and orange with their sapphire hearts. The tea pot was grabbed and Archer stared at his rather impressive cache of tea to figure out what to fix. Well, Liver Disaster is out, he thought dryly as he paused between Earl Grey, Oolong, Green, and Chamomile tea leaves in their tightly sealed glass jars.

Deciding on the Chamomile, he reached for the marked jar and opened it. He carefully measured enough for a pot with four cups right as the tea kettle began to whistle shrilly. Steam tumbled out of the spout for the tea kettle as the clear water poured into the pot. Almost immediately the almost fruity scent of the herbal tea wafted in the air and Archer closed his eyes to breathe it in.

Soft footsteps approached and Archer opened his eyes to see Saber standing there. Emerald eyes were slightly downcast as small hands gripped the gray fabric of the borrowed T-shirt she was wearing. Her golden hair had simply been braided back and he noticed that it had grown since she “arrived” here. His shirt hit her right at the knee and the shorts he’d given her hit her at the ankle. The borrowed clothing was awkward on her petite frame, but it Archer couldn’t deny that she looked rather adorable dressed in his clothes.

He moved to the kitchen table, pulled out a chair, and said, “It’ll still be a few minutes on the food, but the tea should be ready shortly.”

“Thank you,” Saber said before she sat down, her hands resting calmly on the table. Her eyes lit up and she looked around at the food. She pressed her lips together and said, “Your culinary skills are something to be envied.”

He turned back to the meal he was preparing and said, “Well, things have changed quite a lot since the Dark Ages, and cooking technology is one of them.”

“I imagine so,” Saber said in a soft voice as she fell quiet again. Out of the corner of his eye, Archer saw the petite blond sitting almost stiffly in her chair with her hands gripping each other hard enough to turn her knuckles white. She’s trying to keep herself in check, he thought sadly as he tossed a good variety of vegetables in his wok.

He poured her a cup of the Chamomile tea, added sugar and cream, and presented it to her. She stared up at him and took the cup. “Be careful, it’s still rather hot,” he said before turning back to his work.

“Thank you,” Saber said again, the phrase starting to grate slightly on Archer.

The rest of the meal was prepared in that same stiff silence and Archer served the food before sitting across the table from his guest. Chopsticks were lifted and the meal started in that same awkward stillness. However, Saber’s eyes were alight as she rapidly moved from dish to dish.

Smiling to himself, Archer ate as he savored the properly seared tuna he had prepared as part of the meal. “May I have some more?” she asked as she held out her plate to him, a faint blush tinting her cheeks.

“Well, I’m glad that you enjoy my cooking this much,” he said as he filled her rice bowl.

She bit her lip and replied, “It is a vice of mine.”

“As vices go, it’s not really a bad one,” he said as he handed her a full plate, “Besides, I enjoy cooking.”

Saber shook her head and said, “You are an enigma, Archer.”

“I know. It’s an annoying trait,” he said with a tiny smirk as he sipped his own cup of Chamomile tea.

Her eyes met his, and even now he was shocked at the clarity of their green depths. She said, “You were not a heroic spirit.”

“So you remembered that from the forest around Ilya’s castle,” Archer said as he captured a snow pea with his chopsticks.

Saber nodded and answered, “Yes. You even walked on the Shadow when Assassin was staying clear of it. I remember calling you out about it.”

“And you’re right, I wasn’t a heroic spirit in the way that you, Lancer, Berserker, or even Goldy were,” Archer replied with a shrug.

Saber frowned and asked, “Then what were you?”

“A Counter Guardian,” Archer said before putting the snow pea into his mouth.

The frown grew even deeper as she asked, “What is that? I believe I have heard of the term before from Rin, but I apologize for not understanding fully.”

“Don’t apologize. Basically I was an idiot who wanted to save a group of people, called out to the world, traded my service for power, got betrayed and executed only to end up cleaning up after Humanity after my death. And by ‘cleaning up’, I mean slaughtering survivors of disasters to protect the rest of humanity,” he said as he gripped his chopsticks harder than usual.

He looked away and said, “Well, I can tell you that the road to Hell really is paved with good intentions.”

“. . . I understand,” Saber said in a soft voice, “I thought I could save my people as well, but then it turned out that I was a poor choice. So I was trying to correct that by winning the Grail.”

He said, “Even if you could have changed the course of time, what happened during your life would not have changed. It would have just created another time line.”

“I still had to make the attempt, at least I thought so at first,” Saber said once her plate was cleared.

Archer looked at her and said, “But things change.”

“Yes, they do. I hated what I had to become, I hated what I was forced to be, but I continued for what? Nothing but what you see sitting before you. A confused girl wearing a man’s clothing that has no place in this world,” Saber said as her eyes narrowed and her fist
    clinched.

He met her eyes and said, “Then make a place.”

“I am not sure if I want to do so,” she said as she looked down, “My sins have become too great.”

Archer sighed and said, “I don’t think that’s the case.”

“I do not deserve this,” Saber replied in a soft voice.

Archer stared at her and said, “Neither do I, but I’m not letting it go. I’ve seen and done things that would send most people screaming for a padded room. However I’m not going back to that Hell, and I’m going to make sure that you are not going to go there either.”

Archer stared at the tiny figure curled on his futon, light from the streets reflecting in her golden hair. Saber was curled up, one hand gripping his pillow as she slept. Her brow was furrowed and she was twitching slightly in her sleep. Sighing, he reached down and adjusted the comforter around her and stroked her hair. She quieted, but the death grip on the pillow did not loosen.

He looked at the fallen king sleeping in his bed, she had started to fight fatigue as he washed dishes, and he insisted that she stay here. After a slight argument, he had given up his bed for her with plans to take the couch. He made sure that her uniform was hung up waiting for her and her street clothing was neatly folded on the chair in his room. A quick call to Emiya Shirou had been enough to calm the Emiya household’s worry, and Shirou even thanked him.

Even though I really haven’t done anything yet, he thought dryly as he left his room to head for the couch. Still, I got something out of her. It’s a start, he thought as he sank onto the couch. One hand grabbed for the pillow he’d gotten for himself before he managed to lay his long body on it. Of course, his feet were dangling off the edge, but that was to be expected.

Then the man formerly known as Emiya Shirou closed his eyes and dreamed once again of King Arthur Pendragon for the first time in years.

The next morning Saber awoke on her own, grabbed her things and started to head out of the apartment. Sunlight was just starting to break through the sky, but she did not want to burden Archer anymore after last night. She would go to work, work her shift, and return to the Emiya household as always. Maybe it is enough that he understands, she thought as she started to sneak out of the apartment.

She paused at the sight of the large man sort of sprawled on the couch, his feet dangling from the side. His blanket had fallen off during the night and he had one arm thrown in abandon above his head while the other was pillowing his head. White hair was falling against his forehead, the change making him look younger and more vulnerable. Biting her lip, Saber grabbed the blanket before draping it over him, experiencing an odd tightness in her chest.

She took one last look at him before rushing out of the apartment back to her unwanted life.

Blog Entries
    Saber's so cuuuute. Makes me want to take her home and feed her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    Saber's so cuuuute. Makes me want to take her home and feed her.
    Which is exactly what Archer did. He took her home, cleaned her up, fed her and gave her his bed.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    I liked this chapter. Especially the small part where he stroke her hair to calm her down. Elfie, you make Armchair likable and I have to commend you for that. Now, I'm curious how will her next day at work look like? What will she think of Archer? Will Rider be snarky or finally show some compassion?

Worried Soul That Watches Larekko12's Avatar
    This was idyllic and warm. Though I still want to see Gil slinging his money around with the precision of a scalpel, the force of a hammer and the multitude of a rain of arrows and swords and arrow-swords.
    Then let it break, if it shatters to pieces then forge an even better blade to take in hand. Should that blade crack then forge once again, untill the battlefield is a graveyard of blades that have fallen and but a single sword claims the field that embodies the world. Let that sword bear the world untill its time comes and time blows its dust to the winds. Then forge again.---Eric Dagger

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larekko12 View Post
    This was idyllic and warm. Though I still want to see Gil slinging his money around with the precision of a scalpel, the force of a hammer and the multitude of a rain of arrows and swords and arrow-swords.
    *sigh* Why?

Worried Soul That Watches Larekko12's Avatar
    Just a nagging competency issues and desire for cliches. And a self disturbing fetish of NTR. I mean i see OMGWTF rich dude wanting beautiful working class with dependent it just clicks. I mean isn't that what dicks use money for?
    Then let it break, if it shatters to pieces then forge an even better blade to take in hand. Should that blade crack then forge once again, untill the battlefield is a graveyard of blades that have fallen and but a single sword claims the field that embodies the world. Let that sword bear the world untill its time comes and time blows its dust to the winds. Then forge again.---Eric Dagger

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    “Hello, Emiya Residence,” Sakura’s voice answered after the fourth ring. There was a slight, breathy quality to it, meaning she probably had to run to the phone to answer it in time.
    I can think of other reasons she might have been a little "breathy"....

Also, aww, that was cute.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...*nosebleed*

Mike, darn you.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    I can think of other reasons she might have been a little "breathy"....
    From doing all the housework?

Also, holy shit Larekko, fix the size of your sig. It's lagging my screen.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aww, how sweet . . . I like this new one - although my nitpicker's nature compels me to point out that you have "lit" instead of "lilt," and "convenience" instead of "convince."
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I'll add wirily instead of wryly, though the irony of menpointing out a type in a fic is nothing short of staggering. Enjoyed this update though, the food porn was annamusing return to normal, wonder when the other shoe drops. One thought, doesn't saber know how CGs work, o something close, seeing as how she signed on the dotted line herself?
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I'll add wirily instead of wryly, though the irony of menpointing out a type in a fic is nothing short of staggering.
    I think you just doubled the irony level

Blog Entries
    I would say its always easy to see when I am trying to phone in a response, but hell, honestly, I doubt there is really any noticeable difference.