View Poll Results: Should there be new mods; if so, how many?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

9 20.00%

16 35.56%

7 15.56%
  • 3+

13 28.89%
Page 1 of 18 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mods: Yea or Nay

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New Mods: Yea or Nay

Staff query. Please give a reason for your answer, if you wish, just so we can get an idea if what the user opinion on this issue is.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is Toby's ascension to admin such a big hit on your workload? I mean you just appointed MaC and Seika not even a month ago, at this rate half the forum will be mods by the end of the year

Blog Entries
    Hey, look, it's the actual democracy forum.

There is also a staff discussion going on behind this, which will be the ultimate determiner of promotions. That said, you have the chance here to make your case for why we might want to promote no/any/more mods. We might even take into account your discussions of particular users (this had better be especially dispassionate; flaming is as wholly verbatim as ever).

We would really like this to be a thread that gets taken seriously, so going off-topic, memeing, &c is likely to be summarily deleted. You have been warned.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You guys are doing a good job already. There's not that much to be moderated other than the extreme derails we have and the occasional controversial somewhat disturbing conversations that come up. If you guys are struggling with moderation and think you need more help then go ahead. I personally think we're okay.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Unpromised Victory, isn't it sad? CG-3m1y4's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Hush Break, free powers everywhere. How amazing it would be?
    Quote Originally Posted by My F/GO Collab Dream Never

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Is Toby's ascension to admin such a big hit on your workload? I mean you just appointed MaC and Seika not even a month ago, at this rate half the forum will be mods by the end of the year
    I think pretty much everyone agreed that new mods were needed back in March (so it's over a month ago). The question is whether that's been enough: something both we and you have various views on, which we'd like to know about and take into consideration.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    I'm undecided between None and One option, but in the end I picked the latter. I think that picking another mod so soon is a bit hasty, but three of staff members stepped down while two got picked in their place, so one could argue there could be an additional mod.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I think pretty much everyone agreed that new mods were needed back in March (so it's over a month ago). The question is whether that's been enough: something both we and you have various views on, which we'd like to know about and take into consideration.
    Well, i can only say what i've seen, but of the two new mods,MaC seems to only pop up when somethings happening, and you are beeing serious but overzealous. Also the sheer amount of "can i ban for this" is a little weird, like a new political party throwing in new law ideas in the meetings every day

Blog Entries
    Also the sheer amount of "can i ban for this" is a little weird, like a new political party throwing in new law ideas in the meetings every day
    Consider that those polls are popping up in 7th.

,MaC seems to only pop up when somethings happening, and you are beeing serious but overzealous.
    If nothing is happening there is no need for moderation, and if there is something brewing on horizon it's natural that mods step in.

Toby mentioned that the new mods are having some trouble (I guess is the word to use? though mAC doesn't really seem strained juggling two forum mod jobs) with the unexpected workload, and it wouldn't do for them to burn out, I think. So, fill in the vacancy.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    If you think you're in need of an additional mod to help with the workload, you're probably right. After all it's you guys that do the work and therefore know the conditions better than us mere mortals.

The questions then remains of who that person would be? I vote for C_V

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Also the sheer amount of "can i ban for this" is a little weird, like a new political party throwing in new law ideas in the meetings every day
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Hey, look, it's the actual democracy forum.
    I am astounded at the number of people who thought I was seriously setting forum policy through public polls in the Seventh which threatened to ban people who disagreed.

As to the workload ... all I can honestly say is that there are mixed opinions about it among the mods too. Don't try to read our minds on that part of the discussion, because we're not totally settled on it ourselves. This is very much meant to be from a user experience point of view; we're talking over the mod experience part.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Discussion to that thread, people. Like I said, this is for the new mod issue only.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Unpromised Victory, isn't it sad? CG-3m1y4's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    I think people actually could understand the joke limits already. No need to call mod and raise a banhammer against such scenes.

If the discussion degrades to flames and insults however, is another story entirely.

And as of the topic, if it's really necessary to reduce staff's workload then I'm all for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by My F/GO Collab Dream Never

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Toby mentioned that the new mods are having some trouble (I guess is the word to use? though mAC doesn't really seem strained juggling two forum mod jobs) with the unexpected workload, and it wouldn't do for them to burn out, I think. So, fill in the vacancy.
    Mac's told me it's quite a bit, and that people actually using the report function would make it easier, because apparently people do not use it that much.

Understandable, because it's basically like crying to mommy when you can't win.

That was sarcasm, please use the report function, fellow users. Except for on my posts. Don't report me, because I am perfect.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One more so the voting process can't stall on the mod level too. Workload-wise you guys have to know how many more you need but its either one or three to prevent that from happening.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    One more so the voting process can't stall on the mod level too. Workload-wise you guys have to know how many more you need but its either one or three to prevent that from happening.
    Rather than adding another, how about just getting rid of one

Someone who does a lot of work behind the scenes, but isn't seen much publicly

Blog Entries
    One of the points that has come up in our own discussions (and which lead to the new line in my sig) is that we would be able to work much more efficiently if the users were better about reporting, such that new mods would be less necessary. Throwing new people at the forum is carpet-bombing a forest to kill a deer; reports are arming us with the latest in biosensors and sniper rifles.

We acknowledge that people aren't likely to pull the report on an argument they're in themselves, which is why it's necessary for people to yell to us when a discussion's gone bad that they're not involved in as well, that they're just seeing in their thread or even on the Activity Stream.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    I hesitated between one and two and ended up picking one. One or two more active mods from the users' side of things would be pretty helpful in quick responses to derails or such I think; also it would actually be increasing the number of mods from what it used to be instead of just maintaining the balance like what ended up happening.

3+ would be really silly I'd think.
    Last edited by Siriel; May 11th, 2015 at 07:28 AM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Everyone, all the mods