Page 167 of 302 FirstFirst ... 67117157162165166167168169172177217267 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I think it also prudent to recommend Velsper's 燕返死.*

An "origin story", if you will, for the wraith who would be Sasaki Kojiro. A young farmer's normal life is permanently flipped upside down for the worst with the Serpent of Akasha's latest incarnation.

Why is this good? While I'm not entirely sure how extensive Velsper's knowledge of pre-shogunate Japanese life is he sure did a fine job setting mood and establishing the period tone of the story. There's also no shortage of horror to boot, both of the psychological and bodily variety. The extended look into the protagonist's psyche as it is rended by hopeless fear and fathomless anger hits home hard just how sucky it gets to be for mundane peoples in the Nasuverse when the supernatural encroaches on their lives.

It deserves its +1, through and through.

IE, Tsubame Gaeshi, for you non-mooners.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; November 6th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    The penalty for double-posting is Death IRUn. And you as a mod should lead by example dammit!

.... I kid, I kid, anyways, thanks for the rec, that sounds interesting enough to give it a read

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

Blog Entries
    I suppose I should see to this thread after I finish cooking. ¬¬
    Man, that's some long cooking you're doing there.

Just teasing you, update it whenever you have the time.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted in the MLP Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Renko View Post
    Well, here it goes. I do think this fic needs some more recognition. It's really good in my opinion. I still don't know if I should post this in the fanfic rec thread. In the meantime, tell me what you guys think!

Title: Fate/Twilight

Author: moguera

Genre: Tragedy, Drama, Adventure, Crossover, Ponies

Summary: While experimenting, Twilight's new teleportation spell goes awry, sending her careening into a different world, just in time to take part in a fantastic ritual called Heaven's Feel. Twilight must adapt to the world of humans and take part in the vicious conflict that is the 4th Holy Grail War as a Servant alongside her equally reluctant Master. The duo must contend with powerful adversaries and survive the subtle machinations of the Magi determined to win the Grail at any cost. Can Twilight overcome her unwillingness to take the lives of others? More importantly, should she? And is there any way for the displaced Unicorn to return home? Trapped, alone and in a different world and surrounded by enemies on all sides, does the Magic of Friendship still hold any hope for Twilight?

Pairing(s): n/a (I'm really not sure about it though....)

Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/13528/fate-twilight

Warnings:
    OC. It might not attract those who do not know or like MLP: FiM.
    * This may not be the Fanfiction that everyone will like partly due to the fact that it got PWNEES in it.

But the whole thing is good and entertaining. I really can't say anything that can do it justice though. I want everyone to read it for themselves.

@Edit I'll give it a +1 just in case.
    Last edited by Renko; November 7th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Man, that's some long cooking you're doing there.

Just teasing you, update it whenever you have the time.
    Shiiiiiiiiiit I completely forgot.

Okay, I'm in the 7th chapter of Fate/Twilight and I have to say that is a good reading. Not outstanding, but good enough. The characterizations are, in my opinion, very good, and the story is interesting. The fact that a truly innocent character has been involved in the grittiness of the nasuverse, and that it reacts in a credible manner is something to treasure. Usually I'm wary of every pony crossover, because, frankly, I find ridiculous to have ponies everywhere (seriously, a MLP/Ace Combat crossover?), but I have to say that I'm hooked with this one. A +1 from here, and I'll give a better review later, once I finish the chapters published.

Bonus for the fact that, no, I don't like the ponies (I don't dislike them either, I just don't care about them)

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I'm going to take insult to that at CV's behalf.
    Leo confirmed as CV socket account!

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Idaho View Post
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8273932/...-in-a-New-Land

Summary: A land where Magic is not secluded, a land where Dragons and mystical creatures still exist. In another world lies a lone hero who strive for the happiness of everyone. Fate seems to work on the strangest of ways... then again, a hero's duty is never done, right?

Post UBW Good not True ending, Shirou dies after disproving that you cannot save everybody at his death the Throne accepts him as a hero and is summoned by Zeref to Earthland Zeref wish is to be killed be either Shirou who is an Heroic spirit and in Zeref mind an HS has a good chance of doing that or help Natsu to do it.

In my opinion is a decent crossover, Shirou is not over powered nor under powered, only S-Class mages can match him and obviously the 10 wizard saints, this is Shirou not EMIYA despite they share some points of coincidence Shirou loathes "kill 1 to save 10" and still tries to go for the whole Hero of Justice thing.
    Okay from now on: if you don't really like the goddamn story you, and I mean specifically you, because I don't have this problem with anybody else, cannot toss it into the index. I mean it. The index's for things that you like and think everyone should read, not for whatever fic you find.
    If you think your intentions came across the wrong way, then fix your goddamn language. Not "decent", not "it could be good", the baseline is "I think it's good and I think you should read it too".

As an aside, the stuff you rec seems to have a trend of not getting any support from others, which I suppose says things about your taste in fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by NewAgeOfPower View Post
    I really fucking liked that one. If I didn't +1 it already, +1.
    Not recced, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Hey, Kyte, when are you going to update the list? I'm asking 'cause I was thinking of dumping a few more reviews, so I'd like to do it before you update.
    Fun fact: You were the only one to nag me about updates, and you did so three times. Cut it.
    Last edited by Kyte; November 7th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Aaaaaaand I'm done. I ran out of space again.
    God I hope I don't end up needing a third post, it'd get problematic.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Aaaaaaand I'm done. I ran out of space again.
    God I hope I don't end up needing a third post, it'd get problematic.
    The last two recommendations in the long story list are slightly broken. I think you forgot to end the alignment tags so it just says [Right].

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Fixed, thanks.

Well, I had read through Fate/Twilight, and I confirm my +1.

Aaron (the OC) isn't exactly a sympathetic character, but it is a good character. I like him even if he is kind of an asshole, and while not what I would do, I can respect his motives for being in Fuyuki (he wanted to watch the war, too bad that, for trying to maintain its purity by killing Uryuu, he made himself one of the participants)

Twilight, by being there as Caster, has changed the war in an interesting way. She is, without exception, the weakest Servant (well, maybe, and just maybe, Assassin may be actually weaker), and that's a fucking novelty in every grail war I had seen, where the new Servant is usually pretty strong, or have something broken enough to put him/herself at the same level than monsters like Berserkerlot, Seiba and the others. Not with Twilight. Also, she is fucking adorable (well she is a purple little unicorn, of course she is going to be adorable). I'm still not sure how Iri has resisted the urge to squeal and hug her.

As I said, her raw innocence is another good point, because it has been brought in a realistic way. I had lost the count of the number of times she had throw up. She is scared more time that she is not, and while dazzened by the sheer beauty of the movements that the likes of Arturia and Diarmud can pull, she is also horrified because they, and their legends, are made from murder, in her eyes. But with all that purity, she manages to not be a, and forgive me for using a tvtropes term here, purity sue. Mainly because she isn't a sue at all.

In the beggining of the story, the scenes, outside of the ones with Twilight and Aaron, an almost copy of the novel, because those two hadn't done anything yet to change things, but the changes are subtly introduced here and there, until everything is changed, with very very few exceptions. The (admitely few) fights we have seen, outside the canon Arturia vs Diarmud, had been good (well, that one too, but that was easy, it was already done), and the relationship between characters is interesting to say the less.

All in all, a story I'd recommend to everyone, their position about ponies not-withstanding. I tried to not spoil anything, and the only thing that can be considered a spoiler in my eyes had been colored black. It's a small detail, but don't read it if you don't want anything spoiled

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Okay from now on: if you don't really like the goddamn story you, and I mean specifically you, because I don't have this problem with anybody else, cannot toss it into the index. I mean it. The index's for things that you like and think everyone should read, not for whatever fic you find.
    If you think your intentions came across the wrong way, then fix your goddamn language. Not "decent", not "it could be good", the baseline is "I think it's good and I think you should read it too".
    I use the word Decent because it fits 90% of what i read i never give a good rec sans very picky fics i re read out of boredom and makes me go back and read it, so i find decent to be a perfectly good word, is not excellent nor is bad, good for me implies that the fic in question has been re written at least once, clumsy starts have been fixed and dialogue has been polished more or less and some early problems have been fixed.

To say the least few fan fic authors do that.

In other words: I like the fic, i think people should read it but i do not think the word good and fanfiction can come together often, hence why i use decent as a middle ground between good and bad.
    Last edited by Duncan Idaho; November 7th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Check your rec privileges.

Before you wreck your rec privileges.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; November 7th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Booo, should have switched the words.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I use the word Decent because it fits 90% of what i read
    What kind of crazy fantasy world do you live in and how can I get there?
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    What kind of crazy fantasy world do you live in and how can I get there?
    more or less what i have on my fav list i consider decent sans some things like what we have discussed before IE works from third fang and In Flight.

I had a lot of spare time so i simply took fic reading out of sheer boredom so i went discarding what i did not like whatever i found interesting i added, there are some fics that have interesting ideas but their execution is terrible (IE To find the heart interesting idea: Ichigo gets turned onto a hollow due to the hokyogu, something interesting is that the fic has one of the rare IchigoxAdult!Nel pairings but the execution is terrible by making Ichigo outmaneuver Aizen and then proceed to invade soul society for no reason and then Aizen well being, there is one of pokemon that the author has horrible grammar and insists that Arceus hands Ash everything on a silver platter in order to prepare him in order to fight a Dark Arceus)

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    In other words: I like the fic, i think people should read it but i do not think the word good and fanfiction can come together often, hence why i use decent as a middle ground between good and bad.
    Reread what Kyte asked. He's not telling you to call it good or bad. He's telling you to rethink your rhetoric and say "+1 because I liked it" not "+1 because in some weird gray space of objectivity I think it is very neutral. Raise it to a beige alert."

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    Aaron (the OC) isn't exactly a sympathetic character, but it is a good character. I like him even if he is kind of an asshole, and while not what I would do, I can respect his motives for being in Fuyuki (he wanted to watch the war, too bad that, for trying to maintain its purity by killing Uryuu, he made himself one of the participants)
    I like the guy too. He is like Orihara Izaya but less manipulative and more of an observing douchbag of a Magus.
    Last edited by Renko; November 7th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Look, Duncan, I read far more fics than I recommend, because I only recommend what I find to be above par. (Well that and I mostly leave the job for others)

I don't want mid-tier fics, I want whatever you think is good. "Interesting" is not enough, either. Neither is "shows promise". If it's not good yet, then you don't rec it yet. As simple as that.

Blog Entries
    I just noticed that for some reason my rec for "Smells Like a Teen Spirit" is listed separately from the existing ones. It's on the bottom of the "short stories" list.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured