Page 178 of 302 FirstFirst ... 78128168173176177178179180183188228278 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    It's felt too much of a one-sided wank-fest that is common among ZnT fics, if only better written, so I dropped it a few chapters in. I wasn't really interested in reading about St. George's aweshumnezz.
    I have to disagree; it's a well written, well characterized piece.

Blog Entries
    Saint of Zero is much better written than the average ZnT crossover.

It does however suffer from the same "the summoned character is way too powerful for the setting" factor as a lot of them. At least it does so far.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eh. The author did try to limit him as well as they could. And so far it seems to be doing a good job maintaining dramatic tension.

No, pretty much no one is gonna be taking George in a straight fight even at his weakest, never mind when he gets a weapon in his hand. That said, so far conflict has not revolved around beating George. George is an impediment to the antagonists' victory at the moment, but beating him is not the goal. See Fouquet and how that arc concluded.

Spoiler:
    George didn't lose, but neither did Fouquet. George protected his charges, Fouquet got away with the loot and preserved her secret identity. And despite George being able to thump her in combat, she found a way to keep George occupied enough that she was still nearly able to get away clean.

I was rather impressed by the guile displayed to be honest. George even knew Fouquet's tactic was a trick and a distraction, but that didn't stop it from working. She used his priorities against him to achieve her own ends.

Not that I don't see where nununu is coming from. If you're not sucked in by the character, I can see how this wouldn't be a satisfying crossover. George is pretty clearly the main character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

To be fair, George is stupidly broken even in standard Nasuverse.

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At full strength? Without a doubt. Even his personal skills are pretty out there.

Of course, in this setting a lot of his skills wouldn't be relevant most of the time. Although Magic Resistance A is ridiculous no matter how you spin it.

At the end, he's still only one man, his goal is the protection of innocents rather than the destruction of an enemy, and he's bound to obey the orders of an insecure teenage girl who thinks she knows what's best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    To be fair, George is stupidly broken even in standard Nasuverse.
    He was too broken to be included in the already vastly broken Apocrypha. That's actually somewhat impressive.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Actually, one of the things that most impressed me about Saint of Zero so far is that pretty much any Servant is stupidly broken compared to ZnT powerlevels, but George isn't just stomping everything and laughing away, despite being stupidly broken in the freaking Nasuverse. His priorities limit his fighting ability, and it's really well done and totally believable.

Blog Entries
    He's not exactly met anything to fight yet.

The story still works fine right now, but sooner or later there'll be a need for some tension to appear in fights despite Captain Defense. How that's handled will pretty much determine my opinion of the story.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    He was too broken to be included in the already vastly broken Apocrypha. That's actually somewhat impressive.
    That Apocrypha interview said it had more to do with the idea that only Christian saints can be Ruler-class Servants.

Though I will admit it seems like a flimsy excuse when he was already slated to appear in the MMO draft of Apocrypha alongside Ruler Jeanne.

Blog Entries
    It's not "only Christian Saints", it's "only Saints".

Karna is specifically mentioned to have the possibility of being Ruler but he refuses to actually be one.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Either way, the idea that George is too broken for Apocrypha goes out the window when you remember Karna is running around as his stupidly powerful self.

Blog Entries
    Really, George was probably cut because his defensive powerset is kind of boring.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Really, George was probably cut because his defensive powerset is kind of boring.
    That was my first guess when I heard he had been cut, but he didn't have to suck.

Play him off as a purely defensive fighter without much to show us during his two or three scraps, and then out of nowhere he kicks the ever loving crap out of a high-tier Servant like Siegfried or Vlad with his become dragon/slay dragon Noble Phantasm combo. Would have been one hell of a surprise

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    So I guess I should wrap this up before December rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by NewAgeOfPower View Post
    I'd like to give a plus 1 (+1) to Fate EMIYA, by darkeldar (the famous 'Gilgamesh Tries His Hand At' author
    So I put it up but in between all the hot air I had to filter from your review it ended up a bit sparse in the "what's the story about" part. Might wanna fix that.

I'm not exactly sure where to ask this, but how can I link to other posts of mine in a story thread so I can make a table of contents? Some markup help would be super useful, thanks!

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    What I do is right click the post number at the top left of the post, and copy the link.
    You get something like http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/3062-Recommended-Type-Moon-Fanfics-Discussion-II-Electric-Boogaloo?p=1376441&viewfull=1#post1376441

Look for the ?p=1376441, grab the number.
    [post=1376441]Post link[/post]
    Result: Post link

There's also [thread=3062]Thread links[/thread], like this: Thread links. (It's the number just after showthread.php)
    Last edited by Kyte; December 1st, 2013 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks a ton. I appreciate the help.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    +1 to 燕返死 by Velsper.

A FSN fic, it focuses on the past of one of the more oft-forgotten servants: Assassin. While most of the time his past as a farmer is described as mundane, where all he really did was swing swords at swallows, this story puts a darker spin on it. I would say more, but that would ruin the surprise. Just know that it's pretty chilling and really, really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    +1 to needless Japanese title.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For reference, it says Tsubamegaeshi, or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.