Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Create-a-Mage

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Yes, because it is basic, time-intensive, and what no-talents are often forced to do, not because it's lazy.

We're only joking about runes being lazy because they're like the magecraft-in-fanfiction equivalent to Zelretch-did-it-for-plot.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Tohsaka using her dad's Jeweled Staff and blowing shit up. Though I haven't seen that done anywhere, I'm sure it's not a very original idea. That said, I still think it'd be badass.
    literally atomic gatorade tier.
    "Your magecraft is second rate. However, in a battle between magi it's definitely first class."
    "Second rate huh, Nicely barked, kid."
    Altrum harshly rebutted.
    His voice was mixed in with a killing intent. He was not about to back down even one step.
    To this, the phantom wolf boy said, "You don't get it? If it was my teacher he'd see through it in one glance. You've definitely worked on your magecraft quite a bit. For the sake of wounding people, for the sake of fighting someone with magecraft, it's beyond complete. But... that's not what being a magus is about."
    Svin lightly scoffed.
    "Therefore, you're not a magus, just a spellcaster."
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I still don't know what Atomic Gatorade means. I know I'm supposed to have figured it out by now, but I just can't do it!
    Someone please explain it to me *cries with shame*
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    We didn't know what to make of Atrum Galliasta's name when it initially came out.
    Oh.
    Well, now I can't tell if You think it's a good thing or a bad thing. I always thought Atrum was just what Shinji would have been if he'd had some decent magic circuits.
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    RIP Atram Galliast and my 3 months or so of fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    Oh.
    Well, now I can't tell if You think it's a good thing or a bad thing. I always thought Atrum was just what Shinji would have been if he'd had some decent magic circuits.
    blowing shit up does not make you a good magus.
    Last edited by You; July 12th, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    blowing shit up does not make you a magus.
    Sounds like the beginning to one of those motivational posters.

like, you have rin standing in front of a mushroom cloud shrugging her shoulders

blowing shit up does not make you a magus

...but it helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    I've always been curious to see more of the obscure stuff Nasu mentions in supplemental materials, so I was going to take a stab at the Jewel Killer and his Halting ability in my discontinued Seven Samurai story.

His gimmick is that the Jewel Killer is a twofold title: He is dedicated to both exterminating the families apprenticed to Zelretch, and his ancestors were once followers of Zelretch as well. He wants to kill off gemcraft users and is someone who can kill with the power of jewels, though that is a closely guarded secret. Zelretch's notoriously cruel methods drove his ancestor to madness, and the family never got over the grudge.

His Halting ability most often manifests as a variation on lightning magic. He can insert electrical charges into his target's nervous system that specifically target Magic Circuits, paralyzing their magecraft. This is most effective when he can make contact with his target using his conductive gloves, a Mystic Code, but he can also cause disturbances in the electromagnetic spectrum around him disrupt the flow of certain types of incoming magecraft. Of course, "Halting" carries with it many applications, such as the Jewel Killer being particularly skilled at sealing spells or simply stopping and restarting the respiration of a target when he's pumping them for information.

The Jewel Killer as I conceived of him resents the vices and cruelty of magi culture, but he's so cold-blooded about it that you have to wonder if he's really doing any good.

Edit: At least, that's how it would have worked in the story. My other idea for "Halting" was that he can temporarily halt Gaia's attempts to suppress magecraft, allowing him to chain spells and perform feats that border on Age of the Gods levels of bullshit. The typical rules of magecraft don't apply for a while. But he must eventually release this block, and the backlash catches up to him all at once.

How much burst damage does he want in exchange for risking a game over?
    Last edited by Imperial; July 12th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Blog Entries
    ^^Ooh, that is better
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not really fully fleshed out, but I was thinking of a family that uses music as the basis for their spellcasting, and they try and reach the Root by composing the musica universalis or something.

It's late you guys. And I'm kinda drunk, and it's Wednesday and my life is a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    I've always been curious to see more of the obscure stuff Nasu mentions in supplemental materials, so I was going to take a stab at the Jewel Killer and his Halting ability in my discontinued Seven Samurai story.

His gimmick is that the Jewel Killer is a twofold title: He is dedicated to both exterminating the families apprenticed to Zelretch, and his ancestors were once followers of Zelretch as well. He wants to kill off gemcraft users and is someone who can kill with the power of jewels, though that is a closely guarded secret. Zelretch's notoriously cruel methods drove his ancestor to madness, and the family never got over the grudge.

His Halting ability most often manifests as a variation on lightning magic. He can insert electrical charges into his target's nervous system that specifically target Magic Circuits, paralyzing their magecraft. This is most effective when he can make contact with his target using his conductive gloves, a Mystic Code, but he can also cause disturbances in the electromagnetic spectrum around him disrupt the flow of certain types of incoming magecraft. Of course, "Halting" carries with it many applications, such as the Jewel Killer being particularly skilled at sealing spells or simply stopping and restarting the respiration of a target when he's pumping them for information.

The Jewel Killer as I conceived of him resents the vices and cruelty of magi culture, but he's so cold-blooded about it that you have to wonder if he's really doing any good.

Edit: At least, that's how it would have worked in the story. My other idea for "Halting" was that he can temporarily halt Gaia's attempts to suppress magecraft, allowing him to chain spells and perform feats that border on Age of the Gods levels of bullshit. The typical rules of magecraft don't apply for a while. But he must eventually release this block, and the backlash catches up to him all at once.

How much burst damage does he want in exchange for risking a game over?
    Gaia doesn't suppress magecraft.
    The world is the thing producing the phenomenon in the first place.

i feel as though runes are always the lazy person's magecraft.
    blowing shit up does not make you a good magus.
    It's funny because someone I know made once a character with those two concepts in mind as deliberate character traits.

It was an enforcer that the only things he had were his firepower and how resilient he was (his origin was resilience, actually). So the guy was really second-rate and simple, used runes, lacked any semblance of a magus mindset and was only in the Clock Tower because family connections and pure chance. He wasn't able to make something useful of anything he learnt in the Clock Tower, and all he used was the stuff he practiced since he had use of reason, ingrained within him in the crest and polished due to his own perseverance. So he was the kind of guy who was a good fighter not because of a spectacular technique or superior magecraft but because he knew how to resist a beating and stand up again after one. That also meant he was good at following orders... too good actually, so even if he didn't really like what he was doing he did it anyway just to not break his own status quo.

That was like his whole point actually, he was able to resist all kind of injuries, withstand the nastiest of mental interferences but also to bear with the worse commands without complains. He got so used to be a pawn in chessboards he didn't even know so that very thing became his day-to-day. He also had a little sister he was forced to protect since they were very little, but she actually got to be far more relevant and successful in the inner workings of the Clock Tower than him would ever be, so now he was totally unneeded in such a role even if he persisted at it. So his simplicity was in a way both his greatest strength but also his least desirable shortcoming.

Basically he got uninteresting traits to twist them and create something interesting.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Sounds like the beginning to one of those motivational posters.

like, you have rin standing in front of a mushroom cloud shrugging her shoulders

blowing shit up does not make you a magus

...but it helps!
    I am going to find fanart of this (either Rin or Aoko as Arashi suggested). And then I am going to create that poster and start a Nasuverse Demotivational thread.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yokushi View Post
    It's funny because someone I know made once a character with those two concepts in mind as deliberate character traits.

It was an enforcer that the only things he had were his firepower and how resilient he was (his origin was resilience, actually). So the guy was really second-rate and simple, used runes, lacked any semblance of a magus mindset and was only in the Clock Tower because family connections and pure chance. He wasn't able to make something useful of anything he learnt in the Clock Tower, and all he used was the stuff he practiced since he had use of reason, ingrained within him in the crest and polished due to his own perseverance. So he was the kind of guy who was a good fighter not because of a spectacular technique or superior magecraft but because he knew how to resist a beating and stand up again after one. That also meant he was good at following orders... too good actually, so even if he didn't really like what he was doing he did it anyway just to not break his own status quo.

That was like his whole point actually, he was able to resist all kind of injuries, withstand the nastiest of mental interferences but also to bear with the worse commands without complains. He got so used to be a pawn in chessboards he didn't even know so that very thing became his day-to-day. He also had a little sister he was forced to protect since they were very little, but she actually got to be far more relevant and successful in the inner workings of the Clock Tower than him would ever be, so now he was totally unneeded in such a role even if he persisted at it. So his simplicity was in a way both his greatest strength but also his least desirable shortcoming.

Basically he got uninteresting traits to twist them and create something interesting.
    Other then the 'always follows orders' part that sounds like the perfect Shonen protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Other then the 'always follows orders' part that sounds like the perfect Shonen protagonist.
    Yeah, that was kind of a running joke actually. With the difference that he wasn't secretly the scion of a noble magus family or unique powerful lineage but just an average guy in an unhealthy punching bag dynamic that seriously needed to reconsider his whole life. Yeah, that last part was so Fate series in a nuthsell.

マリーの味方
    Spoiler:
    Name: Laetitia Vaugreleux
    Hair Color: Red
    Eye Color: Blue
    Place of Birth: Lyon, France
    Dislikes: Lavish parties, seafood, technophobes

A young woman belonging to a branch family of one of the Lords of Clock Tower.

The Vaugreleux family specializes in the creation of bounded fields. Differing from most, they focused their efforts not into scale and undetectability, but into speed and complexity. They prided themselves in the quickness they could erect a bounded field while maintaining a complexity far beyond the norm, a skill that had unusual use in combat situations.

As they tended to work in a small scope and preferred to design fields that can be focalized on a central point, they were once regarded as experts in the creation of intricate mystic codes.

However, a few generations ago the family came to a standstill, and their research stagnated. In a desperate attempt to ensure long-term security for their family’s status, the family head of the time successfully secured a few critical political marriages.

But his actions -- and the actions of those that came after -- did nothing to resolve the stagnation plaguing their work. Although the Vaugreleux family still possesses high standing within the political circles of the Association, the truth is they are merely a shadow of their former selves. It could be said that in recent times they only maintain their status through political maneuverings and magical patents.

Laetitia is a second child who was only taught the ways of magecraft because of the whims of her father. Despite being naturally talented, she will not inherit the family crest, and is intended to be married off to the heir of the main family.

A free-spirited individual who loathes the notion of how a ‘magus’ should act, and despises the political nature of Clock Tower. However, she is still very similar to that of a pampered princess, and is not hesitant to spend her family’s money wherever she can.

She takes great pride in her family’s magecraft, and wishing to restore her family’s dignity, she left home to participate in the Prague Grail War. She is accompanied by her personal homunculus, a gift given to her by her aunt a year ago.

i wrote something. she is a primary character in a fic i was working on (in others words, not working on)

my favourite part was creating a nonsense nasuverse family name

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Not just family names. Sure, Yggdmillennia sounds would sound better with a 'ra' between the d and the m, but on the other hand, Luviagelita? That is not a name by any stretch. Even Luvia takes some getting used to. I even have someone poking fun at her in my fanfiction, saying they like her because her name sounds like ice cream in multiple different languages.

And even worse is Flat. Who in their right mind names their kid Flat?

From this point forward, I will shpeak vish un ixaggerated, German accent.
    Kayneth ish nott a name eijjer! Hueverr, it ish far shuperior to Flat!

It boggles jje mind. You vould shink jjat Nasu had neverr sheen a Veshtern name beforr. Yit Alecjjander vos poorrfectly shpelled.

Okay, thanks to goddamn autocomplete, I can no longer misspell words without any trouble.

I do like that character though. She held my interest. Though I was hoping that you would expand a bit more on the way you said she disliked technophobes.
    Last edited by Draconic; July 13th, 2016 at 11:56 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Fuck it, I'll probably never write them, but I really like the character/family idea.

The basic premise that there was a magus family who had a problem similiar to Zouken; the land that they traveled to didn't agree with them. They were originally from France or wherever and immigrated to England due to Clocktower shenanigans. Just the English soil didn't agree with them, and with each passing generation, the magi were losing their circuits and their circuit quality.

So the latest heir gets desperate and wants to breed "new blood" back in his line. Despite his once prestigious bloodline, it's kind of common knowledge that the kids of this family are really starting to suck. Which means he cannot find a bride that will literally inject life back into the blood line in proper channels.

He goes digging and finds this family of Scottish magecraft users/spellsingers that is ancient. Everything he finds out about this family shows that they're hearty (one part of the family moved to America and established a new bloodline without any issue, but lol Americans) and they have circuit quality and quantity that would make any magi turn their head.

Just one problem, well two. First? This family gives zero shits about the Root. Second?

Well, all the magecraft this family uses literally boils down to, "How can it make me hit people harder? Or make my sword cut through anything."

They're magic wielding mercenaries who use their skills to be better warriors. The side effect is that they become literal blood knights because of it.

Ironically enough, this magus falls for the current daughter of this line and she feels the same.

They get married and have twins, Roderick and Rhiannon.

Luckily, there are two crests. One from his family and one from hers that is just basically for battle related stuff. So they test the kids and Rhiannon has an unusual element that would be better suited for PUNCHIN, while Roderick has dominion over Earth, Fire and Either. So Roderick gets the magic crest and Rhiannon gets the one for PAWNCHAN.

Rhiannon eventually becomes a mercenary while Roderick is forced on his father's path, which is something he doesn't want to do. Even though he has the magic crest, the Blood Knight trait still runs strong within him.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.