Page 107 of 302 FirstFirst ... 75797102105106107108109112117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsRequiem View Post
    Just a thought, I mean you don't have to and stuff, but the way you said it just made you look so buttpained over some nitpicked details.
    Isn't getting butthurt over nitpicked details kind of the raison d'etre for Beast's Lair? Okay, it's usually the Nasuverse details we're nitpicking, but still and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Laith View Post
    oh boy, oh boy you are wrong.
    See? Now that's the BL I know and love.
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Isn't getting butthurt over nitpicked details kind of the raison d'etre for Beast's Lair? Okay, it's usually the Nasuverse details we're nitpicking, but still and all...
    I don't think anyone's gone so far as giving negative recs for something on that level, though. This thread is one of our more serious business arenas, so we're inclined to say that a -1 requires some marked difficulties.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    See? Seika gets it. Sasuga Seika.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sugoi, sugoi, Seika! Touzen desu.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    It's not nitpicking, Philemon was added to the fic only as a deus ex machina, which is annoying as there are other methods to introduce Shirou to the P4 cast and by extension to the SMT verse, aside that the author altering Teddie was a bit annoying, somehow the bear knows that shirou is doing the whole magic circuit thing wrong, when teddie is technically an Amnesiac shadow, who by all means should not know of that or any thaumaturgy, given that the author so far has implied that Persona =/= Magi Magic , i am giving it a -1 for miss use of elements of the SMT verse.

I digress on the whole Philemon part of He got beaten (P2 EP Ultimate Boss) vs he is being less direct than ever, i support the part of him being weakened by the whole beating, it would explain that his role was diminished by the time of P3 and P4.

Admittedly, "Philemon did it" is Persona's equivalent of "Zelretch did it" and should therefore deserve a disrec on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    Admittedly, "Philemon did it" is Persona's equivalent of "Zelretch did it" and should therefore deserve a disrec on principle.
    Except for the fact that Philemon actually do things, instead of Zelretch, who just helped with the fine tunning of the grail. Philemon picks his chosen ones, at least in the first two games. In the third, as far as I know, is Nix the one who picks the MC, and in the fourth is Izanami, IIRC. So Philemon picking another MC again isn't that much of a stretch.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the problem with lolZelretch is that there's no reason for Zelretch to do it.

Philemon and Nyar actually do choose humans, so as long as the story gives a reason I don't see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    In the third, as far as I know, is Nix the one who picks the MC
    Nobody chose P3's Main Character.

Persona 3
    Well Aigis technically does when she seals Death inside him because he happened to be nearby, but I doubt that counts.

Nyx's involvement in the plot consists only of showing up when it's called; it really has no interest otherwise.
    Last edited by Siriel; September 7th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Zel thing can be used as a good plot device only if done well.

Like him going to parallel worlds somehow fucked something up and caused something from that dimension to leak into ours.

Example of how this could be done, Saya from Saya no Uta exists in the world due delayed effect of one of Zel's early experiments into the second. Zel eventually notices it and sends his apprentice to clean it up, saying it would be good practice for them.

That is a good way to set up a story by using Zel as a plot device, most of the time its just a lazy way to explain a crossover that, as Siriel said, there is no reason for Zel to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knick View Post
    Example of how this could be done, Saya from Saya no Uta exists in the world due delayed effect of one of Zel's early experiments into the second. Zel eventually notices it and sends his apprentice to clean it up, saying it would be good practice for them.
    most of the time its just a lazy way to explain a crossover

Except, Zelretch arguably has a reason for being in the premise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Time to go to the holodeck! *Rams head up Sakura's vagina*

Blog Entries
    What, Saya is some extradimentional entity. That's at least a good way to explain it compared to 'random space rift' that is actually based in nasuverse mechanics. Also it would be completely accidental and not something done 'for the trollz' like apparently most fanfiction writers envision him to be like.

The 'for the trollz' is lazy, actually making it so its use of the second fucked something up accidentally is much less lazy and can be compelling if done right. Cause then they have to write his reaction to the event, why he reacts that way, the way other people react to the reaction, etc.

On top of that he has an actual reason to be involved.
    Last edited by Knick; September 7th, 2013 at 07:19 PM.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    It'd make more sense if Saya came from the Prelati book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    It'd make more sense if Saya came from the Prelati book.
    True, it did have to go somewhere afterall.

I was just tossing out an idea of the top of my head about how using Zel as something causing the plot is not always bad. What people do normally is bad, but the actual premise behind it has merit and can be used effectively if written and explored well.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Long review over a fic everyone probably forgot.

I've finished the 6 chapters of Frozen Chronicles, and after a bit of thought, I'd like to give it a -1.

To begin, I'll admit I know little to nothing about Freezing. Then again, it doesn't have much to do with the derec.

Now, the problems. I've said this part before, but the writing's choppy and not incredibly interesting. The dialogue seems artificial, and most of the humor seems forced. For example, this snippet: (WARNING: very long)
    Spoiler:
    "You know, whenever that honest streak of yours shines out, your remind me of Nagato. Both of you aren't alike at all except for your sense of honor and duty." Zelretch said, causing Rin to blush in embarrassment at the sudden flattery. "Now then, my cute disciple. Since you have made up your mind, let's step forth and see what this universe has to offer!" Zelretch said in an enthusiastic voice. He twisted the Jewel Sword and opened a gate. Both vampire and apprentice stepped through this universe……and into hell.
    "SURF'S UP DUDE!" Zelretch yelled.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Tohsaka Rin yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Luvigelita Edelfelt yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "YAHOO! YOU ARE THE BEST, UNCLE ZEL!" Arcuied Brunestud yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Tohsaka Sakura yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Emiyaa Shiina yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Matou Shinji yelled in fright as he was hauled on his teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Kotomine Karin yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "WAAAH YOU OLD VAMPIRE! LET ME GO DAMMIT!" Tohno Akiha yelled in fright as she was hauled on her teacher's shoulder and got strung along on a wave.
    "Fire the Lohengrin!" Natarle Badgiruel ordered on board the Dominion. The wave motion cannon fired at the surfing Zelretch.
    "Deploy Unit-00!" Katsuragi Misato ordered.
    "Did you really think you could escape me?" Allelujah Haptism snarled as the Gundam Kyrios sped across the ocean and intercepted Unit-00. Unit-00 promptly tore the Mobile Suit apart and roared in defiance.
    "Kamehameha!" Gohan yelled in Super Saiyan Mode. His attack knocked Unit-00 off its feet and sent it flying.
    Zelretch safely landed on an island.
    "Let's do that again!" He exclaimed.
    "No way!" Rin said, shuddering.
    "No way!" Luviagelita said, shuddering.
    "Okay!" Arcuied said, shivering with excitement.
    "No way!" Sakura said, shuddering.
    "No way!" Shiina said, shuddering.
    "No way!" Shinji said, shuddering.
    "No way!" Karin said, shuddering.
    "No way!" Akiha said, shuddering.
    "Come on, let's go now." Zelretch suddenly said, appearing out of nowhere and grabbing the real Rin's hand. He seemed to pull her gently but she floated away and both vampire and apprentice exited the universe through another gate.

Yes, that's actually what's written. It's in Chapter 6.

Another issue I have is with characterization. If you've read the snippet above, then you'll know that Zelretch is in this story as an actual character. Now, I can't really say if it's OOC because Zel never really appears in anything, but it's still incredibly annoying. There's also Flatt Escardos or something (from Strange/Fake) in this fic, and he's just as irritating. To describe him, you how when you were little, you'd try act random and say random things for the sake of being random? He's basically that, turned into a character. If he was supposed to be funny, then he failed at his purpose.

All the other characters that I actually know (Waver, Rin, and Shirou) also have wonky characterization, though I'm having more trouble putting the problems into words. I could include quotes if you want me to elaborate, but the above snippet is already a bit much for a review. And the Freezing characters aren't really worth mentioning, I can't tell them apart.

There are other problems, but I've already spent way too much time writing this.

TL;DR: Choppy writing, forced humor, annoying characterization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I feel mildly proud for having helped cause the meme - if it could even be called that - of Surfing Zelretch to propagate, even at the expense of fanfiction.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting that, Kirby

That passage made me wish for a sharp object to put out my eyes.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    I feel mildly proud for having helped cause the meme - if it could even be called that - of Surfing Zelretch to propagate, even at the expense of fanfiction.
    Most people feel horror at doing something bad. :P

@Kirby: That scene reminds me of that "I'M A SHARK" comedy scene from KT.
    Last edited by Vigilantia; September 7th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Thanks for posting that, Kirby
    'Thanks' was not my reactino after reading that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    'Thanks' was not my reactino after reading that.
    I thought the second line made it clear my positive reactino was sarcastic.