Page 197 of 302 FirstFirst ... 97147187192195196197198199202207247297 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratstsrub View Post
    766 wpm.

No wonder you think the writing's good. You're not even reading half the time.
    you're funny. 2 hours then. I have a 440 wpm.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    the author's idea of a batshit crazy Shirou
    This is not the author's idea. Nasu did it before it was popular.

lesbian witch from hell kay4today's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post
    Shirou calling Rin "Tsuntsun" and Sakura "Deredere"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disgustedcat126.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	9786

Blog Entries
    Plus, there was Luvia as a Master, which is something I find extremely annoying in fanfiction.
    Why is that?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Except there's no Seikirei elements, it's written better, by a different author and actually pretty decent
    As Kirby said, that's the prequel. The IF clone/spinoff/whatever is "A Soul of Fire"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I'm sad the other two heroines couldn't get one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergast View Post
    As Kirby said, that's the prequel. The IF clone/spinoff/whatever is "A Soul of Fire"
    I know, and I'll gladly admit that one isn't particularly great, in fact it's pretty boring.

Blog Entries
    I've read some Birth By Fire, but it wasn't good or bad enough for me to dwell on it. Consider this a -1

The prose is adequate, and Nero is a blast. I do like the notion that Shirou's moral absolutism could very easily make him a merciless Executor who has nothing but contempt for magi when raised under Kirei's watchful eye. I'll give it that much.

But other than that, Shiroumine doesn't really do anything for me. His tsun/dere talk is grating at best and comes off as an extremely lukewarm version of Papa Kirei's knack for getting under someone's skin.

His pyromania doesn't make much sense to me either. "But he's evil! And he was surrounded by flames!" Yeah, well, the virtuous Shirou from the visual novel didn't have any particularly strong feelings toward fire and he was surrounded by it, too. It obviously left a strong mark on him with how much he dwells on the scorching heat during his flashbacks, but it never shaped his personality to any real degree. It's just a thing that happened to him.

Illya's refusal to believe the story that Acht spoon fed her is highly suspect. Dezo once talked about "too many unicorns." This is another unicorn that doesn't need to be there. The jumping off point is Shirou winding up in Kirei's custody. There's nothing about the way Shirou was raised that should make Illya have better critical thinking skills. And then she summons Herc as an Archer, too, seemingly for no other reason than making things even more topsy turvy. The same could be said for Bazett's Caster Cu Chulainn.

It also flubs some Nasuverse basics.
    -There's babble in the chapter 1 author's notes about the Church never having schismed, which is a nice bit of explanation, I suppose, but it sounds like the author really believes this bit of fanon. Not a huge strike because I can't tell which one it is
    -It also has the Command Seals appearing on Rin and Luvia before they get around to their summoning, even though it is only a bruise before the summoning and the very act of plucking a Servant of the throne upgrades the bruises. It's a pet peeve of mine to see that one.
    -It says the 8th Sacrament's job is R & D for fighting non-humans, even though canon says they're just about collecting and safeguarding holy relics.
    -It says the Fraga clan can "create and use" Fragarach (right after misspelling "Nobel" Phantasm), which is flat out wrong when you consider it's a gift from Lugh. They can use it and create charges for it to use, but they didn't make it.

Then there is little housekeeping stuff, like "emblazed" instead of "emblazoned" or the "Nobel" instead of "Noble" I mentioned.

So, to sum it all up, it's not an awful story. Shirou as the morally spotless (in his own mind) Executor is sufficiently troubling, and Nero is always fun. But there are heaps of fanon nonsense, technical errors and the idea that if one thing changes, everything else should arbitrarily change, too. Just because it would be so awesome to change Y and Z on top of changing X, right? It's not tracking the butterfly. It's throwing a dozen butterflies into the formula when the basic premise really should be able to carry the story on its own.

Edit: If you want some good Shirou Kotomine, skip this and go read Tainted Ideals.
    Last edited by Imperial; January 15th, 2014 at 11:34 PM.

Tiger Dojo Can't Stop Won't Stop Nephirin's Avatar
    His pyromania doesn't make much sense to me either. "But he's evil! And he was surrounded by flames!" Yeah, well, the virtuous Shirou from the visual novel didn't have any particularly strong feelings toward fire and he was surrounded by it, too. It obviously left a strong mark on him with how much he dwells on the scorching heat during his flashbacks, but it never shaped his personality to any real degree. It's just a thing that happened to him.
    I think this was because the author made Shirou's natural origin (that is, not changed by Avalon into Sword) into Fire or some such. I dunno, its been a long time since I read it and I'm not particularly interested in picking it back up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    -It also has the Command Seals appearing on Rin and Luvia before they get around to their summoning, even though it is only a bruise before the summoning and the very act of plucking a Servant of the throne upgrades the bruises. It's a pet peeve of mine to see that one.
    Eeh...just because the pattern can be mistaken for a bruise by someone who doesn't know what it is doesn't mean that it isn't the Command Seal. (It appears over time and at different speed depending on the individual.)

Both Kotomine and Tokiomi identify theirs as Command Seals three years before the HGW, and Shirou mistakes (a part of) Sakura's active CS as a bruise in Stay Night proper.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't contradict canon to call the mark Command Seals before you summon a Servant.

Now if they're actually used as miracles before the summoning, that part is wrong because the summoning is what actually activates them.
    Last edited by Siriel; January 15th, 2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Time to go to the holodeck! *Rams head up Sakura's vagina*

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    -There's babble in the chapter 1 author's notes about the Church never having schismed, which is a nice bit of explanation, I suppose, but it sounds like the author really believes this bit of fanon. Not a huge strike because I can't tell which one it is
    History would be very, very different if this were the case.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    History would be very, very different if this were the case.
    I was once a religion major, so, yes, I probably dwelt on this longer than I should have.

Really, though, it seems like another stab at why the Holy Church is called that, instead of the Catholic Church and why Kirei was allowed to get married. The sensible answers are that Nasu was dodging a specific denomination and misunderstanding its tenets. But I've seen a lot of fanon dedicated to giving Kirei a pass on his marriage, so I figured this was just another clumsy attempt at it.

Some magical parallel dimension church that developed along different lines because whatever
    Last edited by Imperial; January 15th, 2014 at 07:39 PM.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    I was once a religion major, so, yes, I probably dwelt on this longer than I should have.

Really, though, it seems like another stab at why the Holy Church is called that, instead of the Catholic Church and why Kirei was allowed to get married. The sensible answers are that Nasu was dodging a specific denomination and misunderstanding its tenets. But I've seen a lot of fanon dedicated to giving Kirei a pass on his marriage, so I figured this was just another clumsy attempt at it.

Some magical parallel dimension church that developed along different lines because whatever
    In that case, this parallel dimension would look radically different from the one we live in. It's the ripple effect of history magnified greatly seeing how big of an event the Great Schism was.

Blog Entries
    True, trying to make sense of the dogma Nasu uses is a lost cause, but in the end we only ever see the hidden Church, which does not need to replay the mainstream one. The priest in Kiritsugu village seemed normal... aside from being a Dead, of course.
    That's always been my way of reconciling it.

The Church we see in Nasuland doesn't resemble any sort of real Church because it's basically Biblical black ops in a setting full of magic and demons and stuff.

Blog Entries
    why Kirei was allowed to get married.
    The canon answer is that Kirei isn't a real priest and there's no rule saying Executors can't get married.

Q: Regarding Kotomine Kirei's life, could you disclose more details? Such as at what age did he graduate from the seminary, and at what age did he become an Executor.

A:
    Because of his father, Risei, Kotomine had been working diligently as an Executor-in-training since an early age. He entered the seminary at the age of 22. In the same year, he received a second baptism to graduate from a trainee to a full Executor who could operate independently. However, while performing his duty of judging heretics, he married. Kotomine voluntarily left his position in the seminary, and abandoned the path of becoming an official priest. After the death of his wife, he worked for the Assembly of the Eighth Sacrament, concentrating on training as an Executor. At the age of 28, he lost his father Risei, and was given the position of a priest, albeit unofficially.
    Last edited by Siriel; January 15th, 2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    You mean there's a reason Rin calls him a false priest all the time?!

Wellp, geez fucking whizz, guys, whodathunk that?
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.