Page 8 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3678910131858108 ... LastLast

Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Do I have to have Rin, Luvia, Sakura, and Fiore engage in post-battle lesbianism for people to feel gratification?
    Also no, because when you put them in life-threatening danger I want to actually feel fear that they might die.
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Don't go for the happy everyone-lives ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    We want fetishes!

We want fetishes!
    Old Heroes, New Fetishes

ayy

that one sucked balls though
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiya Shirou
    "Are… are you littering in my Reality Marble?"
    Current Support Nov. 5, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    We want fetishes!

We want fetishes!
    I thought of the "I'M NAKED!" scene from Adventure Time and for some reason, it's strangely appropriate.

(I had intended to show it as a pic but I didn't know how to make it visible, so yeah)
    Last edited by Kishou the Badger; November 7th, 2014 at 03:52 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Meh's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Tatsuya Shiba should be their representation of heroism.
    Some people there kinda hate him over there.

Inaho maybe?

Anyway, +1 to Training of Rin.
    Last edited by Meh; November 4th, 2014 at 01:25 AM.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qqchurch View Post
    Title: Waiting for one's arrival, by Racke
    Summary: Albus Dumbledore has no Boy-Who-Lived. What he does have is a headache, and two very odd children searching for a cure to a wasting illness in Hogwarts' library.
    Synopsis: An HP x F/SN oneshot told from the PoV of Albus Dumbledore as he tries to look for Harry Potter while juggling his workload and the issue of mysterious children appearing through unknown magical means with the goal of finding a cure for their dying part-Homunculus friend.

A quick and amusing read, the Illya/HarryTetsu interaction is what I liked the most out of it since they have a few issues with each other (which stems from the untold AU 5th HGW), and pretty much the expected reaction for Dumbledore when he finds out - months later - that the one that he was looking for was right there and he never even knew.
    Man, why is it that no one can seem to write Harry properly in fanfiction ever? I think the one time he was remotely, maybe possibly in character was that one Fate cross where it's in Deathly Hallows and Saber's there for some reason and Magic Resistance too stronk, and that's being generous. Illya's good in it but I can't give something a passing grade on partial credit so I don't feel like reccing it.

Now, in contrast, The Not-Fatal at all Cultural Exchange Program, which also has an OOC Harry? Well, that's just Pale Wolf basically going crazy and is so muh spess battuls taken to an Nth degree that it somehow became a guilty pleasure of mine. That in mind, I would also not recommend it in good faith.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Now, in contrast, The Not-Fatal at all Cultural Exchange Program, which also has an OOC Harry? Well, that's just Pale Wolf basically going crazy and is so muh spess battuls taken to an Nth degree that it somehow became a guilty pleasure of mine. That in mind, I would also not recommend it in good faith.
    I feel the same; I'm actually a bit sad it died.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Man, why is it that no one can seem to write Harry properly in fanfiction ever? I think the one time he was remotely, maybe possibly in character was that one Fate cross where it's in Deathly Hallows and Saber's there for some reason and Magic Resistance too stronk, and that's being generous. Illya's good in it but I can't give something a passing grade on partial credit so I don't feel like reccing it.

Harry honestly doesn't have a really distinct personality in the books anyways. When people do fanfic and take the plot off the rails, I don't blame them for going directions with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    Harry honestly doesn't have a really distinct personality in the books anyways. When people do fanfic and take the plot off the rails, I don't blame them for going directions with him.
    I thought about mentioning this in my initial post, but I left it unsaid because it's honestly been years since I've read the series and someone out there could spot me on this better than I could so I chose the option of deferral.

W41'sA feels like an epilogue to a story that should've at least been. All of the tell not show basically did it in. If I could've seen Harry's development from blank slate into a paranoid little ball of bitterness who also happens to be gay by the way because it's an important character trait guys honestly it's not like I'm fetishizing or trivializing it just because or anything like that, I'd feel more of a sense of investment and find meaning in their interactions with the Pig Pimples, even if it was ultimately an exercise in pointlessness.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

Blog Entries
    Because fanfic writers are too busy changing Hermione over the summer to care about characterizing Harry properly.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Because fanfic writers are too busy changing Hermione over the summer to care about characterizing Harry properly.
    A point in its favor is that Hermione and Illya becoming friends somehow is cute as fuck. I'll give credit where it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    I feel the same; I'm actually a bit sad it died.
    ( ;__; )7

Such is the lot of most of Pale Wolf's work, it seems.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; November 4th, 2014 at 01:49 AM. Reason: no smiley no

Blog Entries
    I thought about mentioning this in my initial post, but I left it unsaid because it's honestly been years since I've read the series and someone out there could spot me on this better than I could so I chose the option of deferral.

W41'sA feels like an epilogue to a story that should've at least been. All of the tell not show basically did it in. If I could've seen Harry's development from blank slate into a paranoid little ball of bitterness who also happens to be gay by the way because it's an important character trait guys honestly it's not like I'm fetishizing or trivializing it just because or anything like that, I'd feel more of a sense of investment and find meaning in their interactions with the Pig Pimples, even if it was ultimately an exercise in pointlessness.
    Very well put

And that's another reason it chaps my ass. Rin, Illya and "Tetsu" show up with loads of story between them, but all we're getting is the end result so that Dumbledore can have his long-delayed Eureka! moment. I liked his POV, but the entire thing is an excuse to show us this edgy Harry and how much kewler he would have been in Nasu's hands than Rowling's.

Unpromised Victory, isn't it sad? CG-3m1y4's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Man, if everyone here is that critical about W41A despite being good one-shot, I would like to hear your comments about Lioness of Stormwind and its spinoff Dreams of Steel.

...I fear I might be digging my own grave now. Nevermind.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Oh come now, we're not being particularly scathing.

Blog Entries
    Yeah. Seika's no longer with us.

JP Friend Code
    Title: Divine Words, by klassekatze
    Summary: Caster never reached the Temple. As she lay dying, in another time and another place, a small boy collapses on a circle that shouldn't exist. Just before the end, Caster finds herself summoned, out of the war and into a world that seems like a mockery of everything she has ever known. But to ten year old Harry, even the Witch of Betrayal is salvation. It certainly can't be worse.
    Review...-ish: Rewritten once. The previous version featured a runaway Harry stumbling into an abandoned wizard workshop and summoning Medea. Not much went on other than Medea transplanting some of her circuits into Harry so that he could learn magecraft and using Rule Breaker on some wizard magic that was attached to Harry.

The current version spends less time on those by making the need for that part irrelevant (Harry has 24 circuits... and so do others) and adding miscellaneous things like the Thief's Downfall at Gringotts destroying Medea's clothes since she makes them from magic. The plot moves faster, at least, since Harry is a Hogwarts already and turning Hermione into his Minion.

Not really much content-wise so far, other than the bit with Lily Moon and the Unspeakables hunting her having magic circuits, too, which would hopefully turn out something interesting.

so I guess it's uhh... is a +0 allow for the first rec? else it's just a 'wait and see if it becomes a trainwreck'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiya Shirou
    "Are… are you littering in my Reality Marble?"
    Current Support Nov. 5, 2016

Unpromised Victory, isn't it sad? CG-3m1y4's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Title: Ghost's Guardian by Icura

Plot synopsis: Sarah Kerrigan was left for dead on New Gettysburg until Alaya intervened. Now, she's bonded to a smart-mouthed, white haired mysterious man. And what the hell is this about her being a magus?

Review: What would Sarah become had been she not captured by Zerg and became Queen of Blades, and instead getting herself contracted to Will of Humanity's companion? As of now not much going on (only three chapters), but looks pretty original, doesn't bend too much lores from both sides, and amazingly fast-packed action with well-written narratives. I think this is definitely one of the rare gems for Fate crossovers (especially because we rarely get good Fate Sci-fi cross).The closest we get of "what would happen if Shirou transported into the world of (pre-)Notes?".

Blog Entries
    Do I have to have Rin, Luvia, Sakura, and Fiore engage in post-battle lesbianism for people to feel gratification?
    Beam, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qqchurch View Post
    Title: Waiting for one's arrival, by Racke
    Having actually finished this, I have nothing really to say about the characterization and the actual plot because the writing itself gave me a headache. I understand the need to obscure things from Dumbledore's limited perspective but the narration is just deliberately obtuse.

Let's look at an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva talking to Dumbles about Ilya talking about "Tetsu"
    "Miss Einzbern helpfully pointed out that he didn't so much 'gut' him, as he shoved the knife straight through his heart and then emptied the magical charge within it straight into the wound. Because apparently the knife in question was a magical artifact that the priest had given his sister at her 'coming of age', because he was the one who raised her."
    The pronoun game is real.

A tangential issue I have is that this did not read like Minerva talking to Dumbledore. This didn't even read like Minerva talking to the reader. Instead, this read like the writer had shoved his fist through Minerva's mouth in order to nudge me and go, "Hey, aren't these eleven year olds so edgy?"

It's fine, great even, to write dark, mysterious, and pretentious prose for crossover fanfiction, but to do so, one should take care to deliver the foundation first (and to pad a vocabulary beyond thesaurus.com).

-1 from me.