View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 7 of 242 FirstFirst ... 256789121757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Blog Entries
    It wasn't mAc's fault, we were the ones who told him that rolling stats was totally hardcore and didn't allow 4d6 Drop Lowest or redistribution.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Yeah why would you play 5e when PF is superior in every way?
    Something 4e and Pathfinder are too easy...granted making a broke ass character in 4e is easy from what I hear, and the same can happen with Pathfinder...though you have to find what's broken, and then my DM has house rules that ban certain races and classes because their OP (Humans, Drow Noble/Gunslinger), though it's understandable why he believes that. He also built a extra set of rules that expand the mechanics for Ero DnD...which is fun...

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    >Using gun classes

literally shame on you

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah I don't find there to be too much "fiddly" stuff, and if you don't have you attack equations written down somewhere that's your fault

I keep them on my sheet like this, for example

Melee Attack: d20+3 (STR) + 3 (BAB) + 1 (Weapon Focus) (+1 if [Character name] is not within 10 feet of any allies)
    Damage Roll: 1d8+3 (STR) + 1 (Heavy Hitter) (+1 if [Character name] is not within 10 feet of any allies)
    All that stuff should be on your character sheet...or do you guys not use editable PDFs?

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    4d6 minus the lowest is the best.
    A lot of people like to do this stat grid thing now. Which is fun. You make a 6 by 6 grid, roll a bunch of stats, and then pick a straight line. I forget how you determine the actual stats and I'm pretty sure you didn't just roll 4d6.

後継者 Successor
    JP Friend Code
    PM me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunara_Ishi View Post
    I'm sorry.

I hate to say this but I almost always had stat.s in the double digits. I would only have a single digit if I rolled bad.
    I'm not sure if the rest of my sheets survived the move but I even had some with stat.s in the 20s due to modifiers.
    Normally DM's would have you reroll any 1s.

- - - Updated - - -

And now I chill and wait because I just quadposted...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriko View Post
    A lot of people like to do this stat grid thing now. Which is fun. You make a 6 by 6 grid, roll a bunch of stats, and then pick a straight line. I forget how you determine the actual stats and I'm pretty sure you didn't just roll 4d6.
    Found a variation of this, which is 4d6 discard lowest and it makes you choose between two predefined stats to assign to a number on a grid space.

So STR 15, DEX 14, CON 17, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 18 is one version of the stats you can get out of this.

I would certainly prefer this over regular rolling. :P
    Last edited by Reiu; June 24th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All that stuff should be on your character sheet...or do you guys not use editable PDFs?
    Some of us are old-school and have them as photo-copies... (Or at least me.)
    I suppose I could if I re-started but it wouldn't feel the same.
    Not even sure if 2nd & 3rd ed. are available as PDFs. I'm sure its available to 5th, 4th, pathfinder, or whatever ed. they're using.
    I might not have much choice, if I restart, as my old sheets are MIA. Though, I believe my books might still have
    the originals.

I kinda forgot about that but I'm pretty sure that's a given with most DMs.
    Last edited by Sunara; June 25th, 2015 at 12:53 AM.

#OwO#

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like it when players end up with the kind of characters they want and dislike it when they whine about ability scores.

So all my games use some variety of point buy/stat array. Like for example, I typically use this in 3.5E:

- All (pre-racial) ability scores start at 12.
    - You can move points between them freely, with only two restrictions:
    * No ability scores higher than 18
    * No ability scores lower than 6 (or lower than 8, if I don't trust players will roleplay those 6s right)

...And if players want to make minmaxed, mishappen characters with all 18s and 6s, so be it, as long as they play them right.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; June 25th, 2015 at 06:56 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use google docs because im autistic about doing everything myself and attaching links to everything. (Generally just links to combat stuff like CMD and Saves so I can remember the math if my statistics should change from something)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    I like it when players end up with the kind of characters they want and dislike it when they whine about ability scores.
    Being strict but fair is generally what I want. You roll stats, then decide if you want to rotato them or do them linearly, and if they're garbage no matter what you get 1 reroll.
    Last edited by Christemo; June 25th, 2015 at 07:24 AM.

I generally like arrays or pointbuy. I don't really see the point in random as you always end up with one super character and one terrible character.

granted making a broke ass character in 4e is easy from what I hear
    Only if you browse the char-op boards. If you can, on your own, make a completely broken character in a short amount of time with the massive sea of options...you're quite astounding. Not to mention most broken builds are item dependent.

Characters (especially the non-magical ones) tend to 'look' more powerful on a casual glance because they have more stuff and have higher starting hp, the thing is, the average kobold has about 5x more hp than they do in other systems too.
    Last edited by Janx; June 25th, 2015 at 02:53 PM.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    What about 5th edition. It's supposed to be like what people remember 2E being like, except for real.
    I playtested 5e for years, while it was still "D&D Next". Haven't had a chance to play the official finalized 5th Edition since life got busy but I am sure it's equally great.

D&D 4e was my introduction to tabletop RPGs, and while it was very easy to pick up I realized how valid the criticisms were after getting some experience. A lot of official (textual) support for role-playing got removed or over-simplified in favor of tons of tactical RPG-like mechanics. As a result, official adventures/campaigns felt too combat-focused, with frequent and difficult monster encounters.

WotC realized this later on and you coudl see them moving away from it with later D&D Encounters mini-campaigns (weekly events) and the Essentials line of books. But 5e really brought it back to a more 2e feeling where the players aren't so governed/constrained by rules. There are far fewer calculations in 5e compared to 4e and 3.5e.

Basically in 4e, if you wanted to have a good role-playing game, all of that burden was on the personality of the players and the planning/style of the DM. The books themselves didn't have that much lore info. But it was fun, from a video gamer or wargamers' perspective. Which, understandably, is not what most tabletop role-players are looking for. I was fortunate to start with a fantastic D&D Encounters group of actually normal people and not stereotypical neckbeards.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    I generally like arrays or pointbuy. I don't really see the point in random as you always end up with one super character and one terrible character.
    Because it's funny.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    The thing is, for years I've only played mages and now I can't believe how I was willingly forcing myself to be boring.
    I'm happy for you that you saw the truth.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Moony avoided becoming fish food in our game.

- - - Updated - - -

And now I chill and wait because I just quadposted...
    I feel like if you're going to go with rolling stats, then you shouldn't back out if you get a bad roll. It's part of the package. Otherwise it just turns into a shitty point buy.

That said, you can try to do damage control by changing the dice you roll or what bonuses you add. I heard 2d6+4 is good. But even then you always have the chance of somebody rolling all 8's and 9's.

In a way that's better for highly lethal games where the bad stats can just get killed off and you can roll a new guy. Unless you aren't particularly bothered by low stats or use that for your roleplaying.

Still in 5e I think standard array is probably best. You get a pre-set array of numbers that you distribute. Something like 15, 13, 12, 10, 9, 8. Everybody gets the same spread and can redistribute.

I'm still deciding. That grid method looks cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    I playtested 5e for years, while it was still "D&D Next". Haven't had a chance to play the official finalized 5th Edition since life got busy but I am sure it's equally great.
    The promise of a streamlined D&D that tried to recapture the feel of the older editions is what finally convinced me to start playing. I'd been aware of 4E and 3.5/PF for years but always looked askance at the dozens and dozens of extra books and rigid rules I'd have to shoulder just to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Although one day I /want/ to be able to play as a straight-faced, non-nonsensical warrior who's too old for this shit.
    lool this is what i was gonna do for my 9 CHA paladin

aldayeah's "loveable but foolish" idea sounds good too though so im gonna switch that 9 for a 16.

also check this out

some guy made a "real life to D&D stats" calculator to determine your stats if you were a D&D character

http://www.kevinhaw.com/add_quiz.php

MY RESULTS:

STR: 9
    INT: 16
    WIS: 16
    DEX: 9
    CON: 6
    CHA: 15
    Last edited by mAc Chaos; June 26th, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was kind of surprised my strength was so high. But then again, I can be a tank when I want to.

Mine:
    STR:11
    INT:16
    WIS:14
    DEX:16
    CON:13
    CHR:15

Just a heads up, that Saleperson question is stuck on "yes" so it probably skews the results a lil.

#OwO#

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    A bit higher than I thought.

Mine are:
    STR:10
    INT:17
    WIS:16
    DEX:16
    CON:12
    CHR:12
    Last edited by Thedoctor; June 26th, 2015 at 06:48 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    STR:17
    INT:17
    WIS:15
    DEX:14
    CON:13
    CHR:14

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    MY RESULTS:

STR: 9
    INT: 16
    WIS: 16
    DEX: 9
    CON: 6
    CHA: 15
    CON 6? You're the squishiest mage ever.
    don't quote me on this

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    I got:
    STR:9
    INT:11
    WIS:13
    DEX:8
    CON:9
    CHR:6

Probably deserve a higher int but whatever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    CON 6? You're the squishiest mage ever.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair