Page 249 of 302 FirstFirst ... 149199239244247248249250251254259299 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,980 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Blog Entries
    Broken Steel is weird.

It's a decent stab at an Archer origin story in the sense that it tries to fuse together the breadcrumbs that Nasu has fed us, but it has too many hiccups for me to recommend it. A lot of it has to do with the length.

There aren't enough words on the page to explore the son, the relationship or almost any of the things passing between Shirou and Rin. The author devotes an entire section to the final moments of the Grail War, but everything else is rushed into incoherence.

I don't believe that Shirou and Rin loved each other when there is nothing done to show us. I don't see how Rin could forgive Shirou for what he did or how Shirou could bring himself to open up to her after shutting up his emotions in the first place. I don't have much invested in Daiki or his situation when it's all exposited at us so formally. The conversation with Shirou and Rin doesn't flow naturally because the author has to pause every so often to give paragraphs explaining what they're talking about. Here's something that really exemplifies that problem:

“This is for Daiki.”
    Shirou froze. Their son, their baby boy, whom he had visited whenever he had gotten the chance, had played with and loved with all his heart — the bridge between the Tohsaka and Emiya families that had, for a short time, allowed him into Rin’s life again—
    Until the day the boy decided he would follow his father into the battlefield. One of those stupid accidents, a rogue magus close enough to Rin’s house that a young teenage boy could try and get to the site without even a car — without either of his parents knowing—
    There had been so much blood.
    Show me Daiki. Show me who he is and why I should care. Putting it as simply as "Their son, their baby boy" is an emotional shorthand for "someone really important you, the reader, are supposed to care about." But I don't care. Daiki doesn't ring true as their son. Daiki is a concept, a device to drive a wedge between them. And all of this after they patched things up enough--somehow--between the Grail War and Broken Steel that it could fall apart all over again. Show me that relationship if it's so important. Give me a series of vignettes, snapshots, slices of life, pieces that come together to form a greater tapestry.

bard_linn does entirely too much telling and not enough showing.

And that's because bard_linn seems to treat Broken Steel as a chance to dole out some headcanon instead of weaving it into a real, breathing story. It's self-indulgent.

-1 from me

Blog Entries
    I thought you were talking about the poster Daiki for a second so I was like "what?".
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    the worst kind of self insert
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

祖 Ancestor
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    The cannibalism isn't just in sharks. There's a thing where one twin absorbs the other twin in the womb, and it happens a lot more often than you'd think.
    It's called Chimerism. And aren't there only a few dozen people (I think it's in the 30s) in the world confirmed to have it. Next thing you know it reveals Shirou is one and he has even more guilt for existing.

祖 Ancestor
    Forgot +1 to Fate/Night Sky (is it dead, please don't be dead, if it is shift it to the dead fics section)
    +1 to Timeline of Fate
    +1 to One Punch Shirou
    One punch Shirou is basically what would happen if Shirou's dreams of attaining great power were as easy as a regular workout schedule. In other words Shirou is just a renamed Saitama but it was funny crack.

Fate/Night Sky is...well, its hard to answer really. fraggle has been writing bits and parts of it, but hasn't really done much to it, as he had done the same to Lyrical Days. Well, this isn't counting the constant rewrites he's done to the latter.
    Over the Keel Mountains, Meets an ape with human speech. The ape asks, "What clings to you? Bear it—you cannot. Accept it—you cannot. But hidden—it is from you. Recite its name."

祖 Ancestor
    Yeah I noticed that. It's just fraggle doesn't come on the forum much (haven't seen him in a while) and he used to have this progress bar in his sig that basically had the progress on Night Sky at 0% for the longest time. I'm okay if he confirmed it dead due to writer's block or something but the hope of it continuing kind of hurts.

I won't get my hopes up if I were you. I you actually want to confirm it dead, then send him a PM. Tis better than necroing the specific threads.
    Over the Keel Mountains, Meets an ape with human speech. The ape asks, "What clings to you? Bear it—you cannot. Accept it—you cannot. But hidden—it is from you. Recite its name."

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Now that I've caught up to it, I feel comfortable giving The Midnight Sea a +1 as well.

Even though the chapters sometimes favor decompressed storytelling for better or for worse - including but not limited to retracing dialogue sequences and events from Fate/EXTRA a little more directly and frequently than I'd like at times - the updates are of a meaty, sit-down-and-read length, and the new elements Xyphos brings to the story counterbalance the rehashed moments keep on piling up, which make one want to keep reading to see how differently the Moon Cell Grail War will go now that the protagonist has to deal with the burden of two Servants and the System responds accordingly.

The steadily growing cast of new characters, from cameos and key players and both original and imports from other provinces of Nasuland, add to the fic's draw. Midnight Sea certainly has plans for the long term and I for one would like to see how they pan out.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Question: Are the fanfictions that can be recommended only limited to FF.net and BL?

Are there any Fanfic archives that I didn't know about aside from those two?

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    As long as a site hosts the Type-MOON fic you're choosing to recommend it's fine.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    I believe I've seen a few spacebattles fics here and there.

I think there is also a few in Archive of our own recced here. If not, there are, too, TM fics there.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    The KaleidoRubyverse franchise must have a ton of derivative series, then. :V
    Duh? Infineite universi?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    SINIB is already a fan of the best whore. Well, she's not a whore per se, but I have it on good authority that she moves like an experienced prostitute.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    +1 Time Machines Don't Exist by Mereo Flere

A short humor one-shot, in which Shirou gets his hands on a DeLorean, and tries to convince Rin to join him to go time-traveling.

+1 King of Heroes, Do You Have Enough Cards? by Mereo Flere

Another short crack one-shot, in which Archer is summoned into another irregular Grail War. This time fought with Duel Monsters.

No motorcycles, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Broken Steel +1

I think the worst part about Broken Steel was the snip about the Grail War. It was just so awkward. Rin's dialogue especially. It would have been much better served by small brief lines that Shirou flashes back to. Small moments and important scenes that stuck with him like PTSD, so bard_linn could tell the moments she wanted and let the readers fill in the blanks.

There were a lot of problems there.

In prison....I kinda liked the Daiki concept. Yeah, okay, a bit ham-fisted. But the reveal of Shirou and Rin's screwed-up hate fucking and a kid coming from that worked for me. It gave an idea, and let me fill in the blanks. If bard_linn wasn't gonna write a massive story showing every facet of the relationship, this was as good a way to do it as anything. The last part was the better part of the story for me.

Rin wiping their son's memories of Shirou, an interesting idea. Some nice thought put into Daiki's name too. I like how broken the two ended up. I just wish the Grail War segment hadn't been so clumsily written, like bard_linn wanted to hurry past this uninteresting bit of backstory and get to the conversation already.

Shirou swearing was also a downside. One thing I like about FSN is there really isn't much swearing. If at all. Or at least I'm not remembering much, from Shirou at least. He doesn't waste his words on profanity, even if he wastes words a lot of other things. So casual bitching is a bit of an immersion killer for me.

It's an interesting enough idea though, and its mediocre execution is enough to carry through an interesting idea. It's certainly better than a lot of other stuff I can think of, and it doesn't drag it out too long. 2000 words is a decent one-shot for this even if it could be better.
    Last edited by Hymn of Ragnarok; April 19th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

+1 to King of Heroes, Do You Have Enough Cards?

The last few lines are priceless

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    +1 Time Machines Don't Exist and to King of Heroes, Do You Have Enough Cards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Shirou curses every now and then. At least in the English translation. Bullshit, fuck, etc.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Oh right,

+1 to Fight/Knight by Tobias
    +1 to Fate/Somnium Summer Redux by Verg Avesta
    +1 to The Manhattan Project II by Five_X
    +1 to From the Azure to Zero by Siriel
    Last edited by Megas; April 19th, 2014 at 06:48 PM.