Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 123471252 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Fanfiction Writing Thread (Solicit Advice Here)

Blog Entries
    =.= Leo, what you call help is what I call being uselessly vague, unfortunately.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    =.= Leo, what you call help is what I call being uselessly vague, unfortunately.
    And so is your question, so it seems like it's not such a good one unless you can tell some specific issue, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    *ahem* In any case, it's in general that I have problems with getting back into the groove of Nasu stuff, especially since I am trying to get some form of understanding in it that I don't have now.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    well for me it's like I spend an hour on the same paragraph for multiple nights until i decide to rewrite a paragraph I wrote ealier, which also takes multiple nights. rinse and repeat

then I eventually get frustrated at my lack of progress and get anxiety about writing which is why it takes me so long to get over that initial hump of just sitting down and writing
    One possible solution to this problem is to replace the paragraph with a basic outline of the meaning of the paragraph and to move on until diction and tone come to you later.

As for anxiety, that is a problem alleviated by focusing on the process itself rather than the consequences, as far as I have come to understand.

- - - Updated - - -

*ahem* In any case, it's in general that I have problems with getting back into the groove of Nasu stuff, especially since I am trying to get some form of understanding in it that I don't have now.
    Read the Visual Novel Fate / Stay Night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Keo View Post
    And so is your question, so it seems like it's not such a good one unless you can tell some specific issue, no?
    ...dude, I really, really feel like giving myself an atomic facepalm for this. It's super complicated to get me to be specific at times like this (it'd take me nearly forever to get the issue out).

Blog Entries
    I've noticed I'm the weird sort of person who writes the most when I have the least time to do it, and I write not at all when I have all the time in the world.

I'm newly unemployed, for instance, and the feelings of worthlessness and ennui have killed any creative impulse I might have had. I just want to hit fast forward on my life until I have a job again.

Blog Entries
    White Len, yeah, I get that much... I honestly wish I had enough time in a day to read the Visual Novels (what with how my schedule is wonky even on a good day).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by White Len View Post
    One possible solution to this problem is to replace the paragraph with a basic outline of the consequences of the paragraph and to move on until diction and tone come to you later.
    I have actually had to do that a couple of times. Not so much if I am having trouble with a paragraph as I have started thinking ahead a bit, suddenly realized I just mentally put together a great scene, so ill just write a couple of lines detailing whatever the scene was supposed to accomplish and then skip forward to put down the aforementioned scene on paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

I find the easiest way to get back to inspiration and "feel" of things is to go to the source material. Whether you liked the VN, the anime, hell even just fanart, try to spend some time re-acquainting yourself with the world, it's structure, and it's characters on an intimate level. Sometimes you can know a lot about a thing and get too far abstracted from it in the process.

So my recommendation is to grab a hot drink, some chips, and settle in to enjoy before you produce.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Glow, I suppose that helps me out a lot better than normal.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    White Len, yeah, I get that much... I honestly wish I had enough time in a day to read the Visual Novels (what with how my schedule is wonky even on a good day).
    Read the Let's Play of the Visual Novel Fate / Stay Night in a tenth of the time.

Blog Entries
    Heh... that sounds like a good idea, White Len, thanks.

...eventually, I'll just go back to the Visual Novel playing, so I'll keep the games on my hard drive.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I have actually had to do that a couple of times. Not so much if I am having trouble with a paragraph as I have started thinking ahead a bit, suddenly realized I just mentally put together a great scene, so ill just write a couple of lines detailing whatever the scene was supposed to accomplish and then skip forward to put down the aforementioned scene on paper.
    It is good to write what is fun, and therefore if you focus firstly on writing the scenes that it is enjoyable to imagine and describe your chances of producing more go up.

Solving the problems of construction and whatnot may preferably take a back seat to that. As an author you have the advantage of not having to write like you read. There is no need to produce scenes in the order of presentation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    I've noticed I'm the weird sort of person who writes the most when I have the least time to do it, and I write not at all when I have all the time in the world.
    That's most people for everything actually. It's a fairly well documented effect.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post

I'm newly unemployed, for instance, and the feelings of worthlessness and ennui have killed any creative impulse I might have had. I just want to hit fast forward on my life until I have a job again.
    If you want to feel good you can simply disassociate your sense of satisfaction from your condition and convince yourself that you're perfectly satisfied with your circumstances, giving yourself the ability to ignore your negative emotions enough to have some fun until you go about your necessary activities.

If you want a good suggestion for the latter statement, then I recommend drinking heavily at least once every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    That's most people for everything actually. It's a fairly well documented effect.
    Very true! I find that I tend to finish almost everything faster if I tell myself that I have a limited amount of time to do it. For example, insisting that I can only take ten minutes to write a certain set of things produces the result of achieving that goal in a limited form.

I've found the same to be true with brushing teeth, bathing, etc.

Constriction of time produces such a wonderful rush of activity.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Heh... that sounds like a good idea, White Len, thanks.

...eventually, I'll just go back to the Visual Novel playing, so I'll keep the games on my hard drive.
    http://lparchive.org/Fatestay-night/

There's the LP archive of it if you don't have the game or prefer reading at a faster pace.

Quote Originally Posted by White Len View Post
    It is good to write what is fun, and therefore if you focus firstly on writing the scenes that it is enjoyable to imagine and describe your chances of producing more go up.

Solving the problems of construction and whatnot may preferably take a back seat to that. As an author you have the advantage of not having to write like you read. There is no need to produce scenes in the order of presentation.
    Huh, the thought didn't cross my mind before. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Is there any recommendation on spacing between installments? Say, if you have a couple chapters written, should you post them in quick succession or try to keep a consistent update time between them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    siriel is right you know. Though as I noted earlier that doesnt seem to be the case with my last few weeks production, hence my earlier question
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Right... thanks, Raylen Cypher, I had forgotten where I put that link.

Actually, it might not be necessary, since I have the game. Still, I'll keep that in mind, alright?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    Is there any recommendation on spacing between installments? Say, if you have a couple chapters written, should you post them in quick succession or try to keep a consistent update time between them?
    Definitely wait a few days: gives the existing readership space to breathe and, well, it keeps the thread bumped for people to notice for longer.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?