Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross' Fanart Dump Thread

head looks weirdly squeezed, like a rectangle turned into a parallelogram

still cute
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Tried something different!

Last edited by RossC90; December 2nd, 2014 at 05:38 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Well somebody is being productive.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Quad's Avatar
    all of your rough sketches look nicer than things i've spent hours on

Quote Originally Posted by Quad View Post
    all of your rough sketches look nicer than things i've spent hours on
    Thanks! You should definitely continue spending hours on practicing if you want to get better at drawing. I emphasize the practice part, because sometimes we kind of just want to try and draw something cool and amazing but you really need to dive into drawing shapes, forms and fundamentals. (i.e the kind of boring part)

ADVICE CORNER!!

I looked through your thread and you did have a messy start but I can see some improvement! Especially with your shiki ryougi avatar pic, which I really like. One of the main things you should really consider, especially when it comes to people, is to try and learn realistic anatomy proportions and scaling. Whoa whoa! I know that sounds rough and difficult, but when I say try that I'm not expecting you to draw a heavily realistic portrait of a person. What I want you to try and grasp is the basic general rules and foundations of what constitutes a "realistically proportioned" human head. Here's a rough idea of what I mean along with some certain rules/guides I tend to follow as a amateur artist:

• The head is an egg shape, think of it like a circle connecting to the jaw/jawline. Focus on the purple here:
    • Eyes are almost 90% of the time in the center of the head. They should never be too high or too low of the center of the main head.
    • In the same way, ears are also 90% of the time in the center of the head, nestled in near the same height of the eyes.
    • Even though the shape of the head ends, keep in mind that hair is a fluffy mass that will build over the head. Focus on the red in the above pics.
    • Mouth width can be measured pretty well using the pupils as guidelines. The width can start and end the same length of the length between two pupils.
    • There's quite a bit of space inbetween the eyes and the nose, be careful not to have this space be too much or else you'll end up with the dreaded longface. The space between the nose and mouth is usually roughly half the space between the eyes and nose.
    • When thinking about lips, remember that in mose lighting situations the upper lip will always be darker than the bottom lip.

What's the point of all this really? Well, if there's one major pitfall most fan artists in anime communities fall into is focusing too much on the anime style and not necessarily on the foundations of proper proportions and scaling. So an artist will focus too hard on making big kawaii eyes but won't scale everything else in the face to properly fit those big eyes.

But wait, anime tend to not have proportional features, like big eyes and small noses and mouths! Why would I need to focus on realistic proportions? Because anime art styles, or any art style really, consist of the artists manipulating the foundation of realistic proportions to create something new. They're scaling proportions of features but keeping them synced still. That's why you can look at a really good anime drawing and not be disgusted by the out of scale proportioned features in the face. When you understand the basic fundamentals of realistic proportions in the face you can manipulate it into an anime style or your own style! SUCH POWER! I do a horrible job of explaining it, here's someone who can do it better!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUYG1hkY5c" target="_blank">

Western style is your preference, Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by KosakiFag View Post
    Why don't you love him too then?
    You're both Grails.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizorsama View Post
    Western style is your preference, Ross?
    Mostly? I guess? The style I've developed is certainly more focused on western traits but I feel like I incorporate a small bit of anime influence.

What I was trying to express is that, for example I don't really draw anime moe girls but because I have a pretty good understanding of faces so I can look at the moe style and draw it without butchering it too much. If you have basic fundamentals you can basically look at any art style and get a good grasp of how specific things are skewered or warped. The fun part is then taking pieces from different styles or influences you like and creating your own take on things. This applies to anime as well, K-ON's art style for example isn't exactly Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. There are also anime styles that incorporate western influence as well, such as Cowboy Bebop's entire atmosphere and Attack on Titan's use of heavy thick lines.
    Last edited by RossC90; January 4th, 2015 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely use that.. once I start drawing stuff again.

And the outline of my avatar was traced from someone else's picture, that's why the proportions aren't horribly butchered.

Started designing characters for a gamejam. Here's protagonist archer girl so far:

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First them hips, then them faces. You're doing good work!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Colors WIP! But I'll have to finish after work.

i like B-2, B-3, and C-4

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like A-2, A-3, B-4, C-1 and C-2. You're certainly good with colour palettes! It's interesting to see how much colour alone affects a character's design and overall look.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

More character sketchin'. Paladin girl rocking the pixie cut.
    Last edited by RossC90; January 28th, 2015 at 03:50 AM.