Page 18 of 131 FirstFirst ... 8131617181920232868118 ... LastLast

Thread: That Ever Illusive Utopia

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's times like these that I am glad that I don't have a soul.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Inugami's Avatar
    Maybe it's the hour, maybe it's the unprecendented MASS of different fanfics I'm trying to read in such a short time, maybe it's how I'm so impatient to keep reading and reading and reading that I've skipped past half of the fan-talk just to get to the next installment...

But depressed Saber isn't making me sad, the way other people seem to react.

Instead, I am very amused by the idea of Saber being stereotypically emo, listening to depressing music and wolfing down icecream and talking about the bleeding hole in her soul.

Of course, it's only amusing as a deviation.

I think I need to go to bed, and maybe SLOW DOWN on the fanfics.

Do you feel like a hero yet? Soldat der Trauer's Avatar
    A world that never was, a dream that might yet be.
    @Inugami: Meh, I've the same reaction. Saber's situation, though tragic and regrettable, just isn't reaching me right now. I'm not sure why.
    Let the victor...be justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.
    @Bloble: You shut the hell up, you're like in every RP on the page, you MIRACULOUSLY LUCKY whore-monger. You not getting in is like me winning the lottery in two states, obtaining a girlfriend, and not ending up nursing another migraine, simultaneously, by the end of this evening.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    For now she's just being distant and sad. Just wait until she gets aggressive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
    For now she's just being distant and sad. Just wait until she gets aggressive.
    This basically. And she will get aggressive.

But that's okay, because Archer likes aggressive.

Elf, I remember you talking about getting her drunk. Are you still considering that?

rather interment with one and another
    This phrase bothered me. Well, lots of things bothered me, but this especially, mostly because I don't think Archer and Rin were much involved in burying one another. Also extraneous "and," but eh there.

I'm kind of surprised that Saber hasn't completely shut down, personally.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice chapter. Although, Rin's attitude did seem a little odd at times. I mean, surely the fact that Zouken turns out to have been a bit of a shit magus is nothing compared to what he did to Sakura....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    This basically. And she will get aggressive.
    With herself or with others?

Also, that was a nice chapter. I can sort of see why Rider's acting the way she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    With herself or with others?

Also, that was a nice chapter. I can sort of see why Rider's acting the way she does.
    It's more likely that with others. She didn't want this "life" she now has, but she was granted it without her consent.

Blog Entries
    *imagines Saber throwing anger tantrums*

Hmmmm....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Nice chapter. Although, Rin's attitude did seem a little odd at times. I mean, surely the fact that Zouken turns out to have been a bit of a shit magus is nothing compared to what he did to Sakura....
    It's called displacement Mike.

I mean, would Sakura want Rin to say, "I want that man horribly dead for torturing and raping you for years!"

Probably not because Sakura is going to want to move on from those horrors in that life. Not to mention she's ashamed that happened to her and of course in fucked up Japanese mindset she probably thinks its her fault.

Blog Entries
    yeah, I had thought it was pretty obvious, though displacement has a major downside. I'll be interested to see how it develops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    It's called displacement Mike.
    Eh?

What do you mean?

I mean, would Sakura want Rin to say, "I want that man horribly dead for torturing and raping you for years!"
    True, I guess. But, even so, it seems odd that she would be angry at him for having shitty magic books when he'd done so much worse (and not only to Sakura, either).

Probably not because Sakura is going to want to move on from those horrors in that life.
    Of course. And, since the guy is dead anyway, it hardly serves any purpose.

Not to mention she's ashamed that happened to her and of course in fucked up Japanese mindset she probably thinks its her fault.
    Well, she blames herself for what happened in HF. I don't think she goes quite so far as to blame herself for being abused, though, although she does blame herself for what happened to Shinji.

Blog Entries
    Eh?

What do you mean?
    its a fairly standard coping mechanism where for whatever reason you do not want to be angry, or show you are angry at whatever it is that has actually made you angry, so you take it out on other, mostly unrelated and much smaller irritations.

random example, a wife's husband is cheating on her, but she doesn't want to admit she knows and get angry at him, so when she notices her plate is still dirty after being washed, she hurls it against the wall. the anger at the husband is displaced onto the plate.

again though, it has....drawbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ah, OK.

In this case, though, she's taking it out on the person she's angry at but for a much more mundane reason. Although, I guess she's probably still pretty angry at herself, for failing to notice for all that time and leaving her sister to suffer.

I did like it, though, especially the ending where they gave Sakura a group hug. I mean, yeah, I know it was supposed to show how left out Saber was, but I just found it sweet....

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Another excellent update, Elf. Though I wonder about something. Hasn't Saber realized yet why exactly Kiritsugu ordered her to destroy the Grail? Surely her experience should have clued her in to the fact the Grail could never have helped her?

I happen to be an expert on this topic Pata Hikari's Avatar
    Saber isn't thinking logically.
    Fate/Stay Night: Life is an Endless Dream Chapter 12: Settling into place
    Tsukihime: Role Revert Part 10: Were you here the whole time?
    Fate + Tsuki: Slayer/Savior Part 1: Forge/Assassin
    Pata Hikari's Tsukihime Short stories: Lastest story: A Midnight Dreary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    again though, it has....drawbacks.
    Huzzah for coping mechanisms with drawbacks.

Blog Entries
    Chapter Five
    Discarded Precious Things

Ryuudou Issei was actually glad that part of taking the path of his faith was shaving his hair as even the mid August night was threatening to suffocate him. The back of his hand moved across his brow, quickly if messily removing the build up of perspiration there. Heat seemed to shimmer along the air, giving it an almost oppressive feeling as the young monk walked amongst the streets. There was barely a whisper around him as he continued his nightly stroll, insomnia drawing him from his futon and onto the streets.

It had been over a year and a half ago during that terrible February when Kuzuki Souichirou’s beautiful fiancé appeared to live in the temple. The beautiful foreign woman had been soft spoken and seemingly had eyes only for Souichirou. Issei approved of the match even though Caster had not been human, but a spirit given a semblance of life. However soon after Caster had came to live with them Fuyuki seemed to crumble around itself.

First there had been the gas leaks that had hospitalized many and some still felt the effects of their near brush with death. Then there had been Souichirou’s murder at the temple late that night where Caster’s sobs had drawn Issei out of his slumber only to find the woman gone and Souichirou’s body left behind. Issei had known that his adopted brother had a dark past, but thought it was best not to bring it out into the light for both of their sakes. He still mourned for the quiet and distant teacher’s death, but he knew there were forces at work that he could not have any control of.

Mere days later the caverns under the Ryuudouji Temple collapsed with no reason and there were a few eyewitness accounts that said that three people resembling Emiya Shirou, Tohsaka Rin, and Matou Sakura being led out of the cave by two foreign women and a tall man with white hair. Issei knew all too well that there were things beyond the cares of mortal men, supernatural forces that were spread across the world. He himself was well versed on how to perform exorcisms as well as the martial arts skills that had been passed along by the Ryuudouji monks for centuries.

Then there was a situation two months ago that still haunted his dreams when Archer had came to the temple asking for his assistance.
    Issei didn’t question the strangeness of the two women who had moved in with Emiya Shirou’s names. After all, they were both alien to Japan. From his understanding petite, blond Saber was Welsh and the frighteningly statuesque Rider hailed from an island outside of Greece. However Archer, who apparently was some relative of Issei’s best friend, was so obviously Japanese despite his large size and height.

However Issei had clicked with the older man instantly, despite the fact he had some arrangement with that vixen, Tohsaka Rin. Issei knew not to ask questions about Archer or the forces around Fuyuki; it would be dangerous for himself and all those he cared about if he carried such a secret, but he couldn’t leave Emiya alone and he found himself harboring similar feelings for Archer as well. He knew it wasn’t wrong to feel such a thing, after all love knew no gender, but there was a twang deep within his chest as he watched Emiya hold Matou Sakura’s hand or the two of them sneaking a quick kiss when they thought no one was looking.

And, after Archer had came into town it had became a safer place. The crime rate had dropped dramatically, the oppressive force in the air that had filled the air that February had died, and Issei knew that the white haired man with eyes like steel had something to do with it. So Issei did not question that night a few months ago when Archer had came to him splattered in blood asking for help. Nor did he ask any questions when he was lead to the hospital where a man under Fujimura Raiga’s employee was speaking in tongues as his eyes rolled back into his head as he leaked blood from every visible orifice.

It had been the longest night of Issei’s night and a constant source of insomnia for him, but he had done his duty and the right thing. More than that though, he had helped a man he had came to admire and considered a close friend. A man more than once had helped him with the repairs that Emiya had before he became more serious about his studies so he could attend law school. A man who’s smile mirrored Emiya’s, Issei thought with a shake of his head when something gold caught the light.

Issei’s eyes widened as he saw the familiar, slight form of Saber, Emiya’s Welsh housemate. She was moving rather quickly, her head held high and her eyes narrowed as she moved through the night. The white blouse and blond hair made it easy for Issei to watch her, but his eyes widened even more at the object she was carrying under her left arm.

It was long and wrapped with a dull, dank cloth, but part of the cloth had moved to reveal something glittering and golden. He stared at it, it was almost as long as she was tall and her small hands were shaking ever so slightly as she adjusted it. He opened his mouth to call to her, but the cry was silenced as she took a sharp turn. The monk ran to catch the young girl, wondering if Emiya knew that his charge was wandering this late at night alone.

He followed Saber to the bridge and she was standing quietly at the rail and watched the water. The gray waves beat lightly against the shore as unreadable eyes continued to watch it. Issei stopped as she unwrapped her burden, letting the dingy cloth fall to the ground revealing something impossibly radiant behind. He almost shielded his eyes from the glow of the sword and its sheath in her hands, the street lights bouncing off its gleaming, gilded surface. He recognized it as an European broadsword, Archer had more than a passing fancy for ancient weaponry that he had passed on some knowledge to Issei.

What on Earth is Saber doing with a sword like that?
    Issei thought as she held it up above her head. The weapon shone with its own glow that somehow was not touching the small blond beneath it. With a grunt the weapon was thrown towards the sloshing, murky waters of the river below. Issei’s breath caught as the holy- he had no other words for something that glorious- weapon shimmered before being claimed by the river’s depths.

Then he watched as Saber bowed her head, her hands clenching the rail so hard that he could see the trembling whiteness of his knuckles from his distance. As he watched, he swore that the normally stoic blond was quietly crying. He yearned to go to her and ask why she had tossed such a glorious thing away.

An image of Souichirou’s sharp features filled Issei’s mind that slowly shifted to Emiya’s and then finally Archer’s.

It was not his place to question Saber’s actions, but there were times where one could take other avenues to interfere.

It was done.

Excalibur and Avalon were out of her hands and out of reach for the hands of others.

Saber had originally thought to lay the sword and sheath to rest in the lake at the Ryuudouji Temple. After all there had been something in it that had harmonized with her, made her calm and at peace for the first time in ages. Then further investigation proved that the lake was not deep enough to properly store the sword and its sheath. So the next logical choice was the river.

She felt heat spill down her face from her eyes, but she did not acknowledge the cursed tears. I have wallowed in my own self pity for long enough, she thought as she bent down to pick up the shroud she had used to wrap Excalibur and Avalon out of sight until she had completed her task. In this new age there was no need for knights or kings. The sword and the horse had been replaced with the gun and the car. Honor and chivalry had been overtaken by trickery and greed. Man of this age was vastly different than the men Saber had at her side in Camelot, as were the women.

No one balked at Rin traveling to London, in fact she was in charge of this city. Archer did not go to her side when the Mage’s Association had placed her on trial for the events that had taken place during the Fifth War for the Holy Grail. Shirou and Sakura were equals, he studying to uphold his ideas not with a weapon but with books and facts while she had found a love of healing. Rider’s name was whispered in fearful awe amongst shadier factions within the city as she proved her worth on a weekly basis on her motorcycle.

However cryptic Archer had taken up arms to protect his mistress’s lands and interests for her and to expand upon them. The white haired man infuriated Saber, for his verbal barbs and her envy about how easily he could find a place in this world while she muddled through. Shirou, Sakura, and Rin had been very kind, and Saber could understand Rider’s distaste for her, but Archer left her bewildered and confused, which only added to her confusion even more.

She shook herself and held her head up. She had fallen from grace. She was no longer a king and she would always carry her failures upon her shoulders. However she was not going to be a passive existence anymore by any means, even if she had to sell her body like some common whore she would make up the debt to Sakura, Shirou, and Rin.

“Would it be wrong of me to ask you to kill Luviagelita Edelfelt for me?”

Archer smirked as he adjusted the phone to rest easier between his shoulder and ear despite the crick that developing in his neck. He replied, “I wouldn’t harm a hair on Luvia’s head.”

“Why the hell didn’t you warn me about her? I knew you knew her,” Rin’s voice was shrill over the line and Archer laughed.

He replied, “I thought this would be more fun.”

“When I get back there I’m kicking your ass,” Rin said and Archer could hear her teeth grinding over the phone line.

He grinned and said, “In my time you didn’t have the financial cushion that you do now. I’d hate to see you lose that, Rin.”

“Damn you, Shirou,” Rin said before sighing.

He grimaced as he felt tiny twinges in his neck as he continued to hold the phone at the awkward angle while his hands were currently occupied with a socket wrench, a fuel tank and a difficult petroleum cock. Rider had brought her beloved Hayabusa to him when she had found it leaking gas after a race in Misaki where she had barely beat some redheaded punk with pierced ears. Since Emiya Shirou was currently hitting the books rather hard and Archer had a full garage to work with, Rider brought him her beloved bike, fretting over it like a mother over an injured child.

He put down his tools and held the phone properly and said, “I told you that you’d summoned the best possible Servant.”

“So, how’s my city?” Rin asked.

Archer shrugged and said, “Nothing remarkable happening. The most interesting thing I’ve done is repair a 2000 Hayabusa.”

“You know with all your repairs and the like, I wonder why you don’t get something of your own. You obviously like that sort of thing,” Rin said.
    Archer lifted up the petroleum cock and inspected it. He replied, “I just haven’t found the right one yet, Rin.”

“I mean, you’re obviously making money, working with the mob, that repair business and everything. And thank you for that check you sent me last week. I really needed it,” Rin said.

Archer said, “We did swear to take care of each other.” Reinforced eyes saw a tiny crack in the part and he swore, “Stupid pet cock, how the hell did she crack this?”

“Did you just say pet cock?” Rin said, her voice catching on the last word.

Archer replied, “It’s a bike part. Somehow Rider managed to crack it.”

“Can you repair it?” Rin asked before she paused, “And I’m not surprised that Rider managed to crack a part with that name.”

He shook his head, chuckled slightly at Rin’s attempt for innuendo, sighed, and said, “No, I’m going to have to put in an order for a new one. It’s too delicate of a part and I don’t want Rider turning me to stone because I half assed her precious bike. Luckily the bike shop’s in walking distance.”

“Well, that’s good. Damn, I have to get to class,” Rin said with a sigh.

Archer said, “You can call me later if you want.”

“Thank you. I’d think I’d go crazy and kill Edelfelt if it wasn’t for you,” Rin said with a sigh.

Archer smiled and said, “Luvia’s a sweet girl. She would have lost it if you hadn’t arrived. Give it time, you two are going to be best friends.”

“Well, I’ll talk to you later tonight, Shirou,” Rin said.

He found himself smiling as he said, “Looking forward to it, Rin.” He hung up the phone, cleaned up, and collected the offensive part. Then he locked up his shop and headed out to order a part for a bike that was barely street legal. Since the bike was manufactured right before Europe and Japan had decided to put a cap on how fast a motorcycle could technically go it was the fastest production model ever made. Even after the cap other manufactures couldn’t make a bike to top the Hayabusa, so Archer understood Rider’s love for it. Even though he liked even older bikes that weren’t made for just sheer racing.

As he walked, Archer reflected on the past year and a half. Rin had been true to her word to make sure that he would not squander his second chance and he had made a nice little niche for himself. He worked for Fujimura-dono as both a mechanic and an enforcer of sorts, opened his own shop, and acted as the Second Owner when Rin was away at the Clock Tower. He had friends, a life that he made sure to keep away from Emiya Shirou and Matou Sakura, and a purpose.

He protected those he cared about first and foremost and helped others when he could.

All and all, he was mostly happy with his situation.

However there was a specter haunting him, a tiny ghost with fair hair and eyes like emeralds. Saber seemed to merely exist in her new life. She was quiet when everyone got together and only spoke if she was spoken to. Her green eyes were dull and lacked the fire he remembered and Sakura, Emiya Shirou, and Rin were trying to keep her happy, but all they seemed to do was cook for her because all they knew of Saber was that she enjoyed food an absurd amount.

She feels useless not to mention bearing God knows what on her shoulders after being corrupted,
    Archer thought. From what he knew of Saber she was just bottling all of these feelings even tighter and deeper until he knew they would explode. Then I might have something worse than Altered Saber on my hands.

Soon he had ordered the part and made his way back to his shop. He blinked as he saw a familiar but welcome form standing on his door step. Issei without his indigo hair was a shock even now, but he seemed happy with his choice and Archer was glad that his friend was such a skilled exorcist. Made what happened to Izuna a lot easier to deal with than just killing him, Archer thought.

Issei straightened to his full height and adjusted his glasses with his forefinger. Archer waved and said, “If you wanted to see me, you could have called.”

“Ah, well, I didn’t think of that,” Issei said with a laugh as a faint flush colored his cheeks.

Archer asked, “How long have you been standing out there. This heat’s awful.” He reached into his jeans pockets and drew out his keys to unlock the shop.

Issei cleared his throat and said, “Not long, Archer-san. I was hoping to talk to you. I saw something unusual before dawn this morning.”

“Damn it, Issei, you could have told me you were still having insomnia. I could have helped,” Archer said with a sigh and a shake of his head.

Issei said, “Maybe it was Will that had me unable to sleep last night. I saw Saber and she was acting unusual.”

“Is she okay?” Archer asked, his chest tightening as ice flowed in his normally roaring veins.

Issei bowed his head and said, “She . . . threw away something that I believe should not have been thrown away.”

“We’ll talk more inside,” Archer said in a low voice as he opened the door to lead his friend inside.