Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Anima Kiseki // Gate: Future (IC thread)

Anima Kiseki // Gate: Future (IC thread)

Kurosawa Ryouji
    Starlight Academy - Yard
    Monday - Morning

"Gaaah...!"

You look down on a poor soul, as it quickly picks his belongings and chooses to run away, having been crushed in battle. In a sense, he is lucky he still has the energy to move. The same cannot be said about the seemingly lifeless pile of students laying on one side of the field.

"..."

You wipe the dust off your uniform as your miracle weapon returns to its 'sealed' form.

It is well-known that the World-Wide Magic tournament rewards participants who have done their best inside and outside class with a small advantage at the start. Because of this, it was not strange to see the number of duels increase during the past few months, as it has always been the 'simplest' way to show a student's worth. That said, because the tournament is scheduled to begin today, earning any more points will no longer affect your starting position. The reason you are currently fighting, however, has little to do with points. You see, because the event comes with the chance to interact with students from other schools, it is the perfect time to get some practice. You have to admit, though, that so far results have been disappointing. You've wiped the floor with everyone you've bumped into, and none proved to be a real challenge. In hindsight, considering how strong you are, such outcome should come as no surprise.

"That's a fine look on your eyes. Would you allow me to be your next opponent...?"

Drawn by an unfamiliar voice, you turn your attention to the side to find the question came from the mouth of a woman far above your age. She is wearing traditional japanese clothing, with sandals under her feet and a sarashi over her notorious chest. Yet, your attention is captured by the ring she wears on one of her fingers. Marriage is rare in this day and age, but as important as it was in the middle ages. In other words, it is rare for a couple to become engaged, but if they do, it'll most likely be for life. Alongside the downfall of crime, a lot of things have changed since Magic was revealed to the world...

"..."

Your opponent this time might as well be a teacher, although this kind of schools aren't really restricted to a certain age radius. With the promise of a strong foe to face in combat, you fully turn around and accept her proposal with your gaze alone. Pleased, the woman draws a small smile, before her expression becomes serious.

"Ogami Guren, Bishop, Kenkonken."

As the rules of official matches dictate, she announces her name, class and Miracle, action which causes the surrounding space to distort for a moment, only to be bathed in a blue hue the next. This is known as "Ai Space", a pocket dimension that reproduces an exact copy of the world that surrounds the fighters, which acts as a neutral Robotic;Notes and ensures no damage is dealt to the school facilities or any student not involved with the battle. It automatically detects the 'intent to fight' and expands in the blink of an eye, forcing your folding jackets to activate as well. From what you know from rumors alone, an incredibly huge machine is responsible for the generation of Ai Space and its possession is limited to each of the four most known schools of magic. To put it bluntly, you wouldn't be able to find this sort of protection anywhere else.

Forced to follow her lead, you do your thing and announce your name, class and Miracle.

"Well then, shall we dance?"

Leaving no time for you to squeeze out an answer, she turns her Miracle into a projectile and throws it at you with strength that defies reason. Identifying it as a 'Chakram', a weapon said to be able to cleanly cut through bone in ancient times, you swiftly come to the conclusion that it is best to avoid it. You duck under it one moment, so the next you are already propelling yourself towards your opponent, intent of reducing the distance between the two to zero as soon as possible. Even if she owns a formula to recover her weapon after throwing it, you should have gained at least a small window of opportunity in which to strike-!

You swing your first with all your might, the momentum you've accumulated further enhancing the force of the blow to the point that, the second it connects with your foe, reality determines she will be thrown backwards at least fifty meters.

"Kuh..."

Unfortunately, while your attack lands, it is ultimately unable to eliminate your opponent... And like it has many times before, such outcome is about to prove the tides of this battle are about to turn. A single glance over your shoulder reveals that not only is the chakram on the way back to its owner, but now there is seven where there was previously only one. You raise your arm-shield to defend yourself... Only to find the projectile is able to phase through it as if it were a phantom, thus slipping past your defenses and head right for your throat...

"...!"

-------

(BGM off)

"Huff... Puff..."

The one panting heavily is none other than you. The score is four to one, with you on the lead. Because duels between Kiseki-Tsukai often end up quickly due to the nature of combat and the 'lethality' of the techniques they use, it's common have the winner be the one who accumulates a number of victories, often ten or five in this case, first. While she managed to eliminate you once, you were holding your strength back at the time and thus were caught off guard by her unorthodox formulas. Since then, you've managed to recover and take this battle to a stage whether it is more than unlikely that you will suffer a loss. And yet... Why does she exude such a strong aura of control? Even though you've scored more points thus far, it feels like the battlefield is completely under her control. You are exhausted... And in the meantime she shows no sign of breaking a sweat any time soon.

"I see... A full-body armor. That might be troublesome."

But that's not the only thing that bothers you. When your Folding Jacket activated, the symbol of Starlight Academy was carved on your clothing as a sign of it working properly. However, the symbol that manifested on her cape... It doesn't belong to any of the four schools you are familiar with... Otherwise you are certain you would have recognized it immediately. On top of that, the more the battle goes on, the more lightheaded you become. Just who is this woman...?

"How about we leave it here? It was a good battle, but certainly one I cannot win. You're strong-!"

... Liar.

It's been bugging you for a while, but now you can tell for sure. Ogami Guren... Not only is she a powerful fighter, she's been holding back all this time. And now, she says she's willing to surrender just so you can add one more victory to your battle record. It's so ridiculous it is rather infuriating. However, it doesn't look like her offer was anything more than that... It is ultimately up to you whether you accept it or not.

Regardless, you get the feeling this encounter will leave a sour taste in your mouth.

------

Tutorial: Battle Segments
    Sometimes, certain battles will take place 'off-screen' (mostly those that aren't really deemed important) and others will have small segments where the player will have limited imput. The Battle Record attribute dictates the outcome of the former and may provide an advantage/disadvantage once the player returns to being able to interact with the flow of the story in the latter. Improve your Battle Record by winning important battles on-screen to fully make use of it as an available resource later!
    Tutorial: Battle Start!
    If you decide to participate in a battle, the first thing the player must do is determine which Spell Formulas will be placed in the corresponding Miracle spell slots. A miracle can be programmed with Seven formulas at a time. If the player wants to keep the Formulas they chose from other players, contacting the GM will suffice. Sometimes, due to story reasons, the player may be forced to fight using certain formulas. Spell Formulas that must be used during a event are -Locked-.

-Locked- Leo ~ The Lion
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Kurokami Nayuta
    Starlight Academy - Hallway
    Monday - Morning

It would not be strange for a student to feel nervous and hesitant to set foot on the headmaster's office, to cross the boundary between a world and another, a world where the person on the other side of the table could be the one to decide your fate for you. However, that feeling of 'distance', that terror to face the unknown, cannot be felt from Hishikawa Nanako's office. The headmaster is someone who has gone great lengths to shorten the gap between students and the faculty, and has managed to obtain notable results without hurting her authority one bit. So, while other headmasters seclude themselves in their respective offices, Nanako goes out and out of her way to look out for her precious students, making her more of a charismatic leader than anything else.

With someone so open and friendly, one would be quick to assume finding time to spend alongside her would not be a difficult task. The truth is, Hishikawa is often so busy working for someone else's sake that she barely has any time to relax with other kind of activities. Lately, you've not been lucky enough to cross paths with her, texts being the only form of communication you shared for a while now. In a way, that's part of the reason why you are happy to have been summoned today. You are not just an ordinary student, after all. You are her protegee and, deep down, a part of you demands her attention.

"I sincerely thank you for allowing me to borrow a little of your already limited time, Principal Hishikawa. This was sudden, yet you heard my plea intently. I can now rest assured that I've spoken to the right person."

You were right about to walk into Nanako's office when you heard the voice of a boy come from the inside, prompting you to suddenly stop your march so as to not interrupt something and make a fool out of you all at once. It was never your intention to eavesdrop, but it's not like the two people involved where trying to be discrete at all. Even the door was already open by the time you got there.

"No need to be so formal. Besides, two other headmasters already approved the notion. Soooo... Congratz, Sousuke-kun! With this, your team can participate in the WWM tournament. I can assure you it will be an experience you will treasure in the years to come."

That's your guardian's voice, no doubt about it. It's not hard to grasp the topic of their conversation, although it is rather curious. By default every student is allowed in the tournament, and that extends to new students as well. What sort of person would need to first obtain the approval of three headmasters no less.

"I am already looking forward to it."

Regardless, there is no denying that he possesses an almost charming voice and a silver tongue. Ah! Hearing their footsteps coming closer, you realize you might be caught in a bad position if you don't move. Thankfully, you manage to time your arrival so it doesn't look like you were spying on them.

"Nayuta-san~!"

Not an instant has passed since you came into her field of vision, and Hishikawa Nanako already attacks you with a hug. Sometimes her speed and reaction time is simply frightening. The 'glomp' comes so suddenly, it genuinely manages to catch you off guard. But if that was a critical hit, just wait for the follow-up...

"It feels like it's been so looong~! Have you made any more friends? Or perhaps enemies; fiends I must slay? Ah, How's Rin-san doing? Have you been eating well? Hmm? Hmm? Hmm?"

The red haired woman continues to bombard you with questions as she examines your body from different angles, moving so fast between places that any onlooker would perceive it as teleportation. It's never been rare for her to be upbeat, problem is she appears to have forgotten the two of you are not alone in the heat of the moment.

"...?"

You catch a glimpse of a rather confused Sousuke still standing by the door.

"Ehem..."
    Nanako clears her throat, aware she might have been a little too open about your relationship. "Nayuta-san, this is Moriai Sousuke. He comes from a small village in the south of the continent. He'll be participating in the WWMT representing his school, Stregnia."

This is the first time you hear someone that does not belong to the 'big four' will take part in the tournament. It is true that other educative institutions exist, as four of them simply aren't enough to house the sheer demand of Miracle Wielders there is at the time, but their teaching is limited to the point you may say it's ninety nine percent theory. Any sound student would opt to first enroll in one of the big four in order to gain a little bit of experience before making such a big leap. Although completely new students are already allowed to participate so...

Perhaps this has more to do with Moriai-san wanting really badly to represent his school than anything else.

"Kurokami-san, is it? I hope we can get along."

Something about his rather straight-forward introduction immediately stands out... And that is your surname. At no point did Nanako or you share that bit of information. So how...?

"Ah, I apologize."
    Seemingly realizing his own misstep, the boy draws an apologetic smile. "The truth is I already know who you are. I read an article about you. About last year's-"

"Ah, right! I almost forgot!" Before Sousuke can finish the sentence, however, the principal places herself between the two of you with expert timing. "Nayuta, as it is only natural for me to do so, I've been monitoring your progress and I have to say... I am very glad-! The result of last week's exams just came in and yours are outstanding. Hmmm~ It would if you could make a few more friends, but if you like it the way it is, then that's just fine."

Beaming a smile, your guardian hands you an envelope.

"Here. Congratulations~"

-------

Tutorial: Academic Rewards
    Every time you do well in a test, your Academics attribute will increase slightly. If you ace a particularly important exam, certain characters may give you a present as a reward. The nature of the reward depends on the character handing it, but only one can be claimed each time the event occurs. Once a character you know gives you a reward for your academic success, other characters will not hand you a reward for doing well in the same exam. Don't grow confident if your current Academics attribute is high and study for every examination, or else you'll do badly and your Academics will drop!
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Arthur Waynwood
    Russian Institute - Red Settlement
    Monday - Morning

"..."

You put down the hammer after a good two hours of working to repair a hole on the wall that managed to make your life harder for more than a week. Out of context, anyone would confuse you for a wanderer trying to survive the cold and unforgiving weather of a seemingly endless snowfield. With food being scarce and your dorms being no more than a wrecked and abandoned cargo train, it wouldn't be entirely wrong to call yourself one, but the truth is, you are here because you are a student of the Russian institute. After facing many trials just to find the school's location, you found that the conclusion of that journey was just the beginning of your hardships.

The place itself is divided into three areas, each with a different weather attached to it. Currently, you stand within the 'Red' area, which is where new students start off and where they are forced to stay once classes are over. You can't recall a single day when you have not seen a snow storm, and the explanation for that is rather simple: The bad weather is being mantained through artificial means. And, because the 'Main Building' is located close to the 'Blue' Area, reserved for top students and people of importance, that means almost every day of the week you must wake up early in the morning to prepare to traverse the snowfields and reach your destination in time

Naturally, because the system is all part of a scheme, your life has never been at risk. That said, should you fall ill and be unable to attend class, there is a big risk you'll just end up getting spelled. In other words, what you see here is no more than an efficient method to weed out the weak. When you first found this settlement, it was filled to the brim with new students. Now it's only you and an occasional guest or two. You see, because the Russian Institute values individualism, there is no such thing as 'The official Red dorms', but rather each student is on their own. Some choose to operate alone, others work in groups to increase their chances of remaining a student. Regardless, most people tend to look after themselves, the rest be damned. It's a cruel and selfish route to take, but most likely the fastest way to be promoted and earn the right to a better lifestyle.

"I thought you strived for perfection."

When you turn in response to a familiar voice, you find Professor Luke Korovin lightning a cigarette outside the train in the middle of a snowstorm. It's surprising to see him here, after all, you share a bond that goes no further than the professional relationship between a teacher and one of his many students. Luke has always been the kind of teacher who neither praises nor reprimands the alumni for their actions. His facade is cold as this weather, but harsher, like reality itself. He would never go out of his way to see a student, much less one confined to live in the ice age.

"The day has come. But where are you, Arthur? And more importantly, where is your team?"

The old man is talking about the WWM Tournament, an event that serves as a trampoline for many Kiseki-Tsukai to reach Pro Level. It's natural for most students to aspire to have an outstanding performance and shine in this team tournament. Many prepare and form groups beforehand, cliques devoted solely to this one competition. For reasons that can only be attributed to 'fate' or 'bad luck', you have been unable to form one of your own. At first, seeing you were quite a reliable person, others gathered around you in hopes you'd protecting. But as time went on, everyone moved on, paving their own path.

In other words, the only option you have left, if you truly want to participate, is to find enough members before team sign-ups take place, later this evening.

The teacher takes a smoke, showing no desire to enter your shelter. Quite the opposite, he gives the impression he's simply here to pick you up, even though he shouldn't.

"Seriously... Sometimes, I can't tell if you're dumb... Or the brightest of them all."

-------

Tutorial: Training IEventually, you'll be able to upgrade your character through training sessions. Having high enough Fitness will expand the number of methods available to you and even improve the quality of your efforts. If you want to increase your fitness, exercising is a prerequisite. Once you've practiced enough, challenge yourself and take your training regime to the next level, or win a physical competition, so the results speak for themselves and everyone can see how much you've grown.

Arthur Waynwood
    Monday - Morning

Once, I had attended an orchestra, it had been a congratulation present from my father, pleased with my being taken into a well-regarded family's home. The room was cavernous, and the sounds of the instruments resounded and reverberated through the wooden railing I held between my hands.

The sheer sound of it was bracing, almost a little invigorating.

In this manner, and not many others, it resembled the artificial environment tailored for the 'Red Level' students at the Russian Institute.

Snow-swept and desolate, a harsh land of which even a proper set of dorms were denied to the lowest rung of students, rather, our lodgings were what I assumed had once been a cargo train, orange rust and unintelligible works of street art dotted the steel walls of my abode, I often considered adding a personal touch to the exterior, but it wouldn't do to cling to this sort of thing.

After all, we are encouraged to be moving upwards.

The wind howled at my back, raking at my thickly insulated armor of fleece and cloth, I grimaced beneath my scarf-mask and squinted through foggy lenses for my target.

I thanked my thorough education for tutoring me in more workman-style methods, rather than focusing solely on refinement and elegance, otherwise my current lodgings would be...

Hm, what would be a proper word to describe it?

As I ruminated on this, I straightened the last nail with my left hand and raised my purloined hammer with my right, inhaling slightly.

Whock-Whock-Whock!

"..."

I puffed a sigh, twisting my mouth at the expected result of more condensation on my spectacles once more, I tugged the scarlet neckerchief around my neck upwards with a gloved hand, wiping away the effort of some two hours away.

It was rather lonely out here, I found. At first, the makeshift settlement of several cars had been bustling with other students, and I gained a reputation amongst them for being distant, as was expected of the students at the institute, but also reliable, and with an occasional side of warmth.

A sense of camaraderie, perhaps, between the lowly and downtrodden.

Fat lot of good that's done, though. The others have moved on, either exiled for weakness, or having scorned others in the pursuit of strength.

I leaned against the cold walls of my abode idly, considering the monochrome landscape around me.

I am alone, my only steadfast companion the howling winds around me.

"I thought you strove for perfection."

A hard voice made itself heard above the storm, deep and gravely, like an old mountain.

Lank, steel gray hair greeted my gaze as I swept it to the side, rounded eyeglasses perched upon a hooked nose, shielding similarly colorless eyes.

I bowed my head slightly, enough to show respect, but also maintain dignity.

It does not do to show weakness in this white jungle.

Professor Korovin is an unusual sight to see visiting a student, for a doubt he would simply be going for a morning walk in the snowy wasteland that passed for our grounds. He had a reputation for harsh neutrality, reserving his judgements, good or ill, to himself, keeping his demeanor frostily professional at all times.

Which, in turn, made his personal appearance to a student's abode quite odd.

"The day has come. But where are you, Arthur? And more importantly, where is your team?"

I feel the faint crumbling of packed snow between my fingers, a hot bitterness dimmed by the long-held shield of resignation. My silence an answer in itself.

I had raised a reputation as reliable, but even those who had once huddled close to me had now gone away, stability, it seems, is not a friend to the lower class.

In this place, stagnation is a recipe for disaster.

Still, it is close now.

A chance.

"Seriously... Sometimes, I can't tell if you're dumb... Or the brightest of them all."

I smiled grimly above the crocheted scarf, "Perfection is a slow and bitter fruit to grow, but it is sweet once ripe, Professor."

Perfection is fleeting, and must be cultivated patiently.

I straightened, "Still, there is a time to cast aside patience and seize the day, the world will not wait forever."

I took a moment to gather my things, a small bag of the required necessities and a small, scrounged luncheon of preserved food with a mild amount of preparation.

I had some standards, even here, there are things I would not sacrifice.

"And it would not do to let the opportunity slip through my fingers without a fight."

I'd taken brief breaks intermediately throughout my work on the hole to stretch and limber up, ever heeding the time, tardiness was punished with severity by the faculty here, and it would be... inconvenient to be blessed with their attentions.

I glanced through the surrounding landscape, eyes alighting occasionally on various landmarks and points of note I had gathered in my observations, ad-hoc signposts towards the main buildings.

Hm, I appeared to still have some time, so I would chart my path through what I had determined to be a more difficult area, not one unfamiliar to me, but it would be strenuous to travel through while not wasting much needed time.

I turned back to the Professor once more, a wildness in my heart now, likely showing through on my face, though tempered with long practice at schooling emotion.

Yes, the time was now.

"My objective remains the same as it has been since I arrived here, and I will see my ambitions through."

I gestured mildly with a hand, "If you would care to continue our conversation, I will be making my way to the main building, I feel the need to exert myself this morning."

Ishikawa Aoi
    Starlight Academy - Nurse's office
    Monday - Morning

"..."

With the nurse's office being rather compact, sharing the room with two other faculty members feels like you've been confined to a corner, a mere step forward resulting in the invasion of someone else's personal space. A single glance suffices to tell that Starlight Academy is not prepared to deal with an attack from the outside or an accident of mass proportions, not that such event clearly looms on the horizon, but having been an enforcer in the past, you can say for certain that some habits simply do not die. In any case, your gaze eventually falls on the reason why you are here: A student, and a acquaintance of yours, is lying on the only bed in the room. He appears to be conscious, but he does not seem to respond to your presence at all, instead mumbling words that are hard to understand. When Kawamura Akane locks the door all while wearing a deadpan expression, you naturally understand this is more than just the result of a 'tragic school accident'.

"I found him like this in the middle of the hall, early in the morning."

Domon begins, his voice dead serious. A fugitive once in the past, his posture demonstrates iron will, and the fire that usually exists within the soul of someone who has suffered at the cruel hands of fate can still be seen burning within his eyes. With that said, being the one who turned him to justice, you know this individual a little bit more than anyone else in the campus, and you can tell he isn't giving you the full story, although you are certain he isn't keeping important information regarding the case to himself. In other words, you get the impression Domon was not the first to find the victim purely out of coincidence, but rather, he had reasons of his own to be where he was earlier than anyone else.

"I couldn't find the presence of any common drug within the organism, and his body shows no injuries of any sort. Quite the opposite actually, it's been a while since I've seen a student this physically healthy... However, he does not respond to pain or any other outside stimuli. Feeding him has been quite a bother, that with our limited equipment."

Knowing the Akane, she was probably excited when she was brought a student afflicted with a mysterious decease, but eventually grew bored of it once her analysis didn't come with any solid result attached. In any case, since the current feeling of security created by world peace is one of the main reasons why the entire system still works, it would be unwise to disclose this information to those who cannot be trusted a hundred percent. Canceling the tournament for something like this would create a huge uproar, one that would not be healthy at all. And so, you had been chosen to be one of the few to keep this big secret from the media. No, more than that, to find answers in regards to its origin.

"The B.A.L.D.R. Force is already on the case."
    Domon added. "... However, Hishikawa has asked us to investigate on our own as well. And I agree, that's part of our duty as teachers. I want to find out what happened to him."

The B.A.L.D.R Force, a supernatural police force of sorts. They are tasked with keeping global order, monitoring dangerous individuals and securing unregistered Miracles and Magical Weapons. It sounds noble, but a lot of blood was spilled so it could reach its current height. You know that all too well... After all, you were once part of it.

"There are reasons that make B.A.L.D.R. suspect the culprit may participate in the WWMT, so it would be reasonable to have someone on the inside. I would take care of it myself... But I am afraid my hands are tied, literally and metaphorically. I can't take part in any official event, not even as a supporting role."

That is where you come in.

"You already had plans to join, isn't that right, Ishikawa? Many want to see the most successful operator in history in action once again."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ishikawa Aoi
    Monday - Morning

Sigh, what a mess.

An azure spark lit up the cigarette in her mouth, filling the room with the slightly acidic smell of ozone.

Taking a deep drag of her cigarette, Aoi Ishikawa’s eyes fell onto the student lying a bit further away on the steel bed. An idiot of a brat to be sure, but not even idiots deserved a fate like this. The boy’s eyes were completely glassed over and did not even bother to register their presence. A stream of incomprehensible mutterings escaped from his lips in an almost ceaseless stream. A bitterness, one that had nothing to do with the cigarette that Aoi was smoking, permeated throughout the entire body of the violet-haired teacher.

It reminded her too much of the past for her liking.

"I couldn't find the presence of any common drug within the organism, and his body shows no injuries of any sort. Quite the opposite actually, it's been a while since I've seen a student this physically healthy... However, he does not respond to pain or any other outside stimuli. Feeding him has been quite a bother, that with our limited equipment."

“His mind has shattered, Akane. It's plainly obvious that he won’t react to any stimuli you throw at him.”

Aoi let out a small puff of shimmering smoke.

“Honestly, if you can’t find it are you even sure that this is a drug, Akane? From the looks of it, I would say that it is more likely that his mental state was attacked directly. Botched brainwashing magic or memory erasure. Would explain why he is so transfixed on one image, instead of just blanking out. It's far easier to do something like this using magic, rather than mess about with something so indirect and imprecise as drugs.”

“Granted, that would mean that someone can do something like this without being ferreted out by Nanako…”

Which, considering the headmaster's prowess (at least in that area), would open up a whole different can of worms. There were only a limited number of people in the world who would be capable of doing something like this under the very nose of Hishikawa Nanako. All of whom would be exceptionally troublesome to deal with, to say the least. Well, a mysterious drug of some description would definitely make things easier to deal with.

"The B.A.L.D.R. Force is already on the case."

"... However, Hishikawa has asked us to investigate on our own as well. And I agree, that's part of our duty as teachers. I want to find out what happened to him."

“There are reasons that make B.A.L.D.R. suspect the culprit may participate in the WWMT, so it would be reasonable to have someone on the inside. I would take care of it myself... But I am afraid my hands are tied, literally and metaphorically. I can't take part in any official event, not even as a supporting role."

A brief chuckle of amusement escaped from Aoi’s lips, but it was devoid of any actual humor.

He was right, of course. Domon’s parole was tenuous at best, with B.A.L.D.R ready to pounce at any moment. In fact, it was probably only Aoi’s own past connections along with Hishikawa’s considerable influence which had kept them at bay for so long. Not only that, but B.A.L.D.R would never accept a former convict like Domon snooping around one of their investigations. In part, because B.A.L.D.R would never trust Domon to tell them the entire story. Perhaps justifiably, considering that there was still a part of the story, albeit how irrelevant, that the black and white haired teacher was keeping to himself.

And in part, because they were simply too arrogant and confident of their own skill.

The would never be able to accept the fact that an ex-convict might notice something that they hadn't.

"You already had plans to join, isn't that right, Ishikawa? Many want to see the most successful operator in history in action once again."

Nononononono. Not this bullshit again.

Burning up the entire cigarette in her mouth with a single breath, Aoi’s light-green eyes suddenly sharpened, losing their normal, rather lazy, tint. Irritation was clearly visible in the older woman’s body language as she pointed furiously at the man in front of him with her remaining cigarette stub.

Oi. Don’t tell me you are taking those bloody rumors seriously, Domon. You of all people should know better than that. I have no intention to join that bloody tournament. What do you think I am, a young fifteen-year-old punk looking for some glory and recognition?”

And then, just as suddenly as it appeared, the violet-haired woman’s rage vanished, leaving behind only the tired form of a woman who had seen too much.

“I have had enough of battles, even elaborate mock ones, to last me a lifetime.”

The lazy teacher let out a self-depreciating chuckle.

“Besides, “the most successful operator”? Don’t make me laugh. All I did was allow myself to be badgered into doing some replacement fights, that’s all. One off affairs. All that meaningless hyperbolic nonsense was added in later by rumors and loose tounges, nothing more.”

A momentary silence filled the room.

“I won’t do it, Domon. If you want me to look into this, that's fine. But I’ll do it my way. If you want someone to go into the tournament, have Akane do it.” Aoi’s thumb briefly poked out towards the cheongsam-wearing nurse. “She’s a Bishop, right? That should be fine enough, no?”
    Last edited by Mellon; May 14th, 2017 at 05:01 PM.

Jade Sapphy
    Russian Institute - Settlement Border
    Monday - Morning

In any other school, new students would immediately receive aid and guidance from the student council, or at least the class president, in order to help them adapt as soon as possible to the new environment they had been deposited into. However, such was not the case with the Russian Institute. Even if, due to certain circumstances involving the government, you might be called a special snowflake, that did not seem to stop the institute from ditching you right into the eye of a snowstorm and abandoning you there for you to fend for yourself. Although the cold is such that it makes your skin hurt, you press onwards, in hopes of finding the school dorms. You tried to use your Miracle to facilitate the process, but the weather made it impossible for you to concentrate. If you could find a shelter, though...

---Eh?

By the time you realize your feet has sunk deeper into the snow than it should, there is nothing you can do to recover your balance in time. You lose your footing and roll down the snowy hill, your Folding Jacket activating automatically in order to eliminate the risk of your body taking any permanent damage. With the storm making it difficult to even see a few meters forward, it should come as no surprise that accidents like this happen often, especially to those who have not been trained to deal with such adverse conditions. Indeed, this is a place where the weak are not welcome. If you can't keep up with the program, you'll quickly find yourself expelled.

That is the message the Russian Institute wants its new students to remember the most.

-------

Noah Habiki (& Jade Sapphy)
    Monday - Morning

It's no use.

While you managed to avoid being caught in a snow storm through a combination of keen insight and sheer luck, the white that surrounds you still extends as far as your eye can see. After two hours of walking aimlessly, it becomes impossible to pretend you are not tired, and you begin to question if there is even a point in continuing to move forward. The world of 'Miracle Wielders'... You never asked to be part of it. If you could simply trade your weapon for your old life, you'd do so in a heartbeat. For a person who treasures 'normal life' as much as you do to end in the least normal school of all...

---It's hard to say if it's fate or just plain misfortune.

When you find yourself on the ground, It takes a few moments for you to understand that you must have collapsed at some point or another. It could have been a couple of minutes or several hours; with the weather it becomes pretty hard to tell. The truth is, you are weak, you are hungry, and there is no one around but yourself to do something about that. Maybe if you simply give up, someone responsible will pick you up and deposit you in a more friendly educational environment. There was no way the faculty would leave a student to die... Isn't that right?

"...!"

Suddenly, a particular noise captures your attention. For the first times since you arrived at this white desert, you get the impression that you might not have been caught alone in this freezing hell. Somehow, you manage to find the strength to at least stand on your feet once more. Your body seems to understand this might be your only chance to survive.

You sharpen your senses. Whatever it is, It is quickly approaching your position.

Come to think of it, it sounds like a human.

A human yell? A human cry? By the point you realize a snowball at least five times your size has easily managed to invade your personal space, none of that matters.

-------

Russian Institute - Blue Settlement
    Monday - Morning

Eventually, the snowball collides against a thick wall, releasing the two of you. You must have traveled long distances, for the fantastic landscape that greets you looks nothing like the one you left behind.

It the literal definition of perfect. You are unable to spot a flaw in the structure of castle that appeared in front of you, nor in the grass of its gardens. The sun shines radiantly, but the temperature is not nearly as high for it to bother you. It feels like you just landed in someone's kingdom, the sole image of the landscape giving a feeling of royalty.

"How many times do we have to tell you, you pipsqueak! Just because you wear blue doesn't make you a Blue, stop making fun of us!"

After sharing a few minutes together and admiring the place some more, an unfamiliar voice brings you back to reality. Turns out, you are not the only ones there. Not far from you, you spot a group of students. Unlike you, they are clean and have an air of elitism around them. Everything seems impeccable except their manners. From what you can gather, they seem to be tormenting someone, going as far as to step on them. Although the victim looks too short and round to be an actual human being. Hold on a second...

"Wuaagghhh!"

Doesn't that look like a penguin...?

Blog Entries
    Jade Sapphy
    Monday - Morning

Jade was beginning to seriously question some of her wardrobe choices. The thick, black scarf she was fond of wearing was deceptively warm and snuggly. So much so that even when she wore a t-shirt and spent time somewhere high and windy, it always kept her feeling toasty warm right down to her teeny toes. When she had spent her time searching for the Russian institute, her cute scarf had held in there like a champ, taking extreme conditions, biting cold, torrential rain, and way to much splattered mud for one garment. It had been used as an umbrella, a wash rag, and more then once a combination blanket and pillow.

Truth be told, Jade had enjoyed the chance to cut loose and enjoy the Russian outback....Errr, well, that might also have been for another reason. And come to think, maybe that other reason might have had something to do with having been dropped into the ass end...or at least the ice end of the school. Jade tried to grin at her internal pun, but all she really managed was a thin rictus of blue lips across her face. Her beloved and warming scarf was just not pulling its weight at the moment. Jade tried to recall how she had beaten other, if less intense storms while romping throughout the country side, but the memory kept slipping away from her.

In the back of her mind, with an almost frightening detachment, some part of her clinically catalogued the very obvious signs of hypothermia. The veins in her body were narrowing in a desperate attempt to horde precious heat and resources. Several of her organs were slowing down to preserve heat. Less oxygen was reaching her brain, resulting in decreased general functioning. Once conscious efforts to improve the situation were insufficient, in a final attempt to prolong life the body would shut down, not dissimilar to the way it would when drowning. Come to think of it, both of these were usually caused by to much water. Jade's thoughts went on sporadic tangents like this, all the while she kept putting one foot in front of the other, trudging through ice that licked at her unclad thighs. Shorts were comfy and let her move around easily. Especially when she needed to...

...Once more, the elusive thought pattern skittered away before she could fully take hold of it.

I really hate walking....

Generally speaking, things were supposed to go wrong when you thought "it can't get any worse." But when Jade's feet suddenly started to fly out from underneath her, She realized "I hate walking" must be a lesser known close second.

What followed was a gut wrenching spiral motion accompanied by sickening jolts as the rapidly growing ball of snow and ice built momentum. Luckily Jade didn't get motion sickness. Actually if it wasn't for the ice threatening to cake around her mouth and choke off her air she might almost have found the ride kinda fun. As it is, only luck and a bit of desperate quick thinking allowed her to somehow get her left arm up enough to shove her scarf over her mouth, giving her at least a little bit of an air filter. A sudden thunk and alteration in force gave Jade the idea she might have just rolled over someone.

Somehow, in the midst of all of the dizziness and fear, an honest, if tortured giggle forced its way past a scarf and gritted teeth.

Look at that! She found her self thinking. Guess ill die like I lived! But at least that one isnt my fault!

Maybe the universe disagreed. Because the next thing Jade knew, a bone rattling implant spit her through the middle of her snowy transport and might have slammed her into the side of a building wall with enough force even her protective jacket would have had trouble with...were she alone in this little excursion.

Moments later, Jade found herself looking past a mess of her own frizzy red hair, past her legs a splayed out well over her own sight line, at an equally frazzled looking boy who made eye contact staring blankly past her shorts clad buttocks.

After a moment Jade's mind made sense of that image. She was lying more ore less on her back, with her legs thrust out over her head. she had slammed thigh and butt first into the other fellow who had come to a stop more or less right side up.

The skinny girl quickly rolled herself to the side and checked herself over. she checked her scarf, the general state of her folding jacket, and then gave the boy who had come along for the ride, in that order.

Which non coincidentally, was a pretty good approximation of her priority of care list.

"Hiya" Jade said brightly, showing almost an unnatural recovery. "That was not my fault and you can't blame me!" Jade said, hopping up and down on one foot with her head turned to the side to shake out water. "And if anyone asks you make sure and you tell them that, cause I didn't break anything this ti..."

"How many times do we have to tell you, you pipsqueak! Just because you wear blue doesn't make you a Blue, stop making fun of us!"

Jade's soliloquy was interrupted by the cry of a group of what were probably students. Students who were unusually uninterested in the giant ball of snowy death that had just careened by. Well then again, their attention was otherwise occupied by...

It was right then that the outside observer would have clearly seen Jade's eyes swimming with stars.

"ooooOOOOOOooooo!" Jade gushed, skipping quickly forward. Directly in between her and her target was a large student with his foot on what was blue and cute and awesome. Without bothering to stop, jade moved forward, reached about as high as her thin white arm would reach...and grabbed the fellow by the collar and without so much as batting an eye, kicked his bracing foot still on the ground out from underneath him and and used her grip to toss him aside as he started to fall. Jade didn't even spare a look for him or the other's noticing her presence as she scooped the large blue bird into her arms.

"Look, look!" Jade said, yelling back to the boy she had arrived with. "its a PENGY! He is so cute, lookithim wiggle!" Jade shifted her arms so that she cupped the side under each wing and bobbed the strange creature up and down, causing small involuntary flaps of the wings.

...One way or another, it seemed Jade had gotten where she needed to be after all. Things were definitely looking up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Noah Habiki
    Monday - Morning

He kept walking for what felt like an endless loop.

At some point, despite the white coat and ebony boat trudging throw the land of white, he couldn’t see an end in sight. Perhaps what’s said about this place was true? A lesson learned so that no one hands would guide you.

Noah Habiki continued down the white void, every step taking with caution, each made to ensure that falling wouldn’t lead to an early grave. He absentmindedly listened to the harrowing winds as the snow tackled his face by the second. Traveling wasn’t something he was used too for longs periods of time; having lived in an urban town with little interaction from outside would do that to any sane person. Nonetheless, this journey wasn’t without purpose.

“…”

Yes. This forsaken journey started on that day.

A day he found what allowed Miracles into the “Normal” world of Man.

His teeth bite down hard on his lips, almost drawing blood as his vision began to blur. The weather was bad for anybody traveling this far out, hoping and praying to find the so-called “Russian Institute.” It had been close to half a day since being dropped off and told to find the school. Clearly, these people were insane to put an average person through this white hell and expect any results. Even those trained to survive in harsh environments would complain and whine, but he traveled too far, hungry and weak to put up any struggle of whining.

Noah’s body felt as though it were incase in a cube of ice. No warmth to find but within as his body did whatever it could to keep itself going. Hypothermia was a common case of many, and perhaps if he caught it they'd let him off, right?

While the heat wasn’t available within him, what laid there was a large pile of bitterness and irritation.

“I want to go home.”

The truth is Noah wished that the school selection was a mistake, wishing somehow he was meant to go some other institution far less harsh and unforgiving as this. The tales told of the Russian Institute was mere rumors from where he’s from; little more than exaggerated stories told by nameless individuals during their travel to his town.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before he took a misstep and fell face first. Pure white crystals collided with his nose and cheeks, spreading its frozen army to attack what little heat store in his body. No strength to move or desire to keep going. Losing consciousness out here was a fate no one wishes, but, even so, someone would surely pick him up eventually.

No sooner after did a small gasp akin to a chuckle managed to escape his mouth.

“What I wouldn’t do for a nice long sleep.”

Nevertheless, it would seem his journey would end here without fully beginning; despite he already made plans of failing in the first place. Sabotaging his path to ensure never to partake in “their” world was an option he longed since held to heart. It wasn’t due to laziness or ambition.

Truly it can be said he just didn’t desire to step outside his comfort zone.

To stay in the back; having never be relied upon or held responsible for anything that mattered. Try as he might, Noah was someone who wished to remain unseen and forgotten
    Somehow, such a trifling and worthless thing as remaining invisible brought his lips upward. Small hints of happiness lighten up in his heart yet, an uncomfortable feeling clung there as well.

“…”

That said Noah gave out to a sigh of weariness.

He truly was pathetic. It had been only two minutes since he fell and Noah felt like quitting. There was no doubt his mother would worry and welcome him back with open hugs and kisses. “It’s okay. At least you tried,” is what she would tell him.

“Tried…”

An emotion within burst out, knocking back the laziness and fatigue that nearly drowned him.

“Damn. You better be happy I’ m considering this.”

There was no limit to how slothful a human is capable of being. After all, it was one of the original seven sins humanity must bear but, giving up already at a point where the gun hasn’t even gone off was truly a crime only committed to something less than human. He would claw his way, fight to the bare teeth, and put effort into his struggles for a bit more before collapsing under the weight and leaving for good.

“Alright, I’ve already heard you.”

He voiced out to no one in particular.

“…!”

Suddenly there was a noise that came into ear view. Noah’s eyes widened, and with considerable effort, he pushed himself to stand and stilled himself before the cold winds. In the distant, a shadow approach and the noise that was faint from afar became a roar threatening to crush him. Noah readied himself, with little preparation, and sharpened his eyes to glimpse into the clear white.

It came closer, and it sounded almost human?

The shape was large, too large in fact that by the time he realized what it was two things happen. One is that the cry was human and likely sounded feminist and the other was a giant snowball was five feet from running him over.

“Mother. I want my normal life back.”

His world became white as the snow at that moment.

One moment Noah was ready to give it his all or at the very least, attempt to before giving up, however, it seemed a bored deity decided to have fun with him.
    Shrugging his shoulders and rubbing the back of his skull, Noah shifted his weight around and opened his eyes. The spark of light blindsided him and the feeling of heat, although not as intense as he wanted it, wrapped around him like a newborn’s blanket. With a feeling of heat upon his cold skin, Noah gasped in silence.

His sight fixated not on the fact of having stumbled upon into an unknown region; it wasn’t even closed in on the fact that the blizzard is absent in the area.
    What laid out before he was the grand structure that towered to the sky. It was like looking at a university for a higher class of citizens. No flaws marked the stone structure, and the garden it beheld was the closet Noah ever came to call it the Garden of Eden. Such a beautiful view bare itself naked to his eyes, and as he glanced around, a figure entered his vision.

It was a girl. Not one someone could identify as proper or well-manner considering her choice of outfit; not that he would consider himself any better.
    Eye contacted was made and Noah glimpse at the remains of snow around her. A light bulb lit up in his head, determining that she might have played a part with the giant snowball.

No words were spoken and before Noah allowed himself a chance to slip away the girls jumped to her feet while hoping on one foot.

Hiya! That was not my fault, and you can't blame me!

His eyes twitched just slightly at the strange yet invigorated girl who happened to bounce up with being hindered in the slightest. However, whatever blame she thought he would give, ended in falsehood.

And if anyone asks you make sure and you tell them that, cause I didn't break anything this ti..."

How many times do we have to tell you, you pipsqueak! Just because you wear blue doesn't make you a Blue, stop making fun of us!

Noah turned to the rant alongside the girl and viewed what may have been a group of people wearing blue nearby. As his eyes peered further in, Noah saw a blue object in the middle, getting trampled. Strange as it was for them to have been there and not noticed the snowball collision must have spoken volume of their awareness.

He glanced back to the girl and for the first time, in a long time, felt the winter’s chill crawl up his back once more. Despite the logic of reality dictating that it was impossible, Noah would have sworn that stars laid in her eyes and yet, not a second later did he watched her zoom past him, and into the fray with a crazed expression of happiness.
    What made the matter all the more shocking had been him witnessing the maneuver used by her as she dropped a male taller than her to the floor and picked up a blue--- penguin?

“What?”

He figured it out.

This place, the area, the heat… it was all a dream he conjured during his minutes in the snow. It had to be for all of this to make sense in some shape or form. Right now, Noah could envision himself being carried off by someone to a medical center and waiting to go home. He pinched his cheeks yet nothing happen. He slapped himself yet the dream was still going on.

“This. Is. Real.”

While staring absentmindedly once more at the realization of his predicament, Noah’s lack of attention was brought back when the girl shouted towards him.

Look, look! It's a PENGY! He is so cute, lookithim wiggle!
    All eyes stared at him ranging from the girl who thought it was okay to drop some stranger to the floor, to the eyes of those surrounding her.

Noah snapped out of his shock, taking a deep breath and closed his eyes. Options were available as of now and deciding which one to take was needed. Putting on a smile too thin to truly tell, he waved back in a way that looked as though he was saying goodbye.

“Sorry. What was that? I’m not very good around other’s so please kindly ignore me, okay?”

A sweat dropped from his head, and slowly he began backing away from the girl as well as the group, hoping that for once, something wouldn’t proceed to screw him over.
    Last edited by Typhous; May 17th, 2017 at 09:05 PM.
    "Nothing is the greatest gift Mankind has ever been giving."

"Wait. How so?"

"Because it's the only thing Mankind can ever give a shit about"

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---

Kurokami Nayuta

Day:
    Monday
    Time:
    Morning

Ah....

She couldn't say that this was an unusual development. No, in fact, Nayuta probably had seen it coming from miles away -- it's just that the conversation she had overhead had blocked her own prognostics of what would ensue once she stepped inside this office. Perhaps that her expectations of Nanako showing a more professional demeanour when in the presence of someone else played a part in this lack of readiness, too.

Well, expectations or not, things turned out to be pretty similar to the last time Nayuta saw Nanako... which was rather long ago seeing Starlight's Headmaster's busy schedule, but the memory of being squeezed and then losing all semblance of personal space was still very fresh... in fact, it felt just like yesterday.

Where was it back then? In this office? No, that one was when Nanako had dropped by the Kurokami household on a surprise visit... and what a big surprise Nayuta got the moment she opened the door.

That was then, and this is now, but are these two situations really different? Well, instead of Rin just laughing in the background and not helping Nayuta at all, there was this total stranger who... seemed rather puzzled.

"...y-yes!"

Nayuta never really knew what else to tell Nanako in these situations. It didn't specifically answer any of Nanako's questions, but at the very least, it was a positive answer! That was the most important, positivity and good news... although 'yes' by itself didn't necessarily mean good things in hindsight...

...but to call the situation entirely displeasing would be a total lie, though. As much as Nayuta was being turned red like a tomato from all this display of affection in front of strangers, deep down, she didn't mind it, because it wasn't everyday that she'd had someone as nice as Nanako show so much care for her.

Nayuta was after all, typically the one caring for others.

At any rate, the young girl was figured that she better say more and elaborate before Nanako thought that this 'yes' also meant that there were people for Nanako to 'slay'. The way she worded that sentence was... extremely scary.

Trying to get her bearings back, and ignoring the awkwardness of being inspected rather enthusiastically in front of someone she didn't know, Nayuta tried to revert back to a nicer, more natural expression.

"I'm fine, Nee-- Hishikawa-san. Rin's doing fairly well, he's managing well enough on his own."

She had just texted him earlier, and he actually had the kindness to respond, for once! Yes, sometimes he would wait an entire day before answering, and this often left Nayuta rather frustrated -- what if something had happened to him? What if he forgot to read her daily reminder about turning off the gas before leaving... or even, what if he forgot to lock the house door?! Truly, as the little brother, he should take heed of the elder sister's advice and care!

Well, the last time he had secluded himself and not bothered answering for entire months, Nayuta had pulled Rin's ears and given him a big enough lesson that Rin so that he would hopefully, not do that again. Since this year had begun, he even sent her dated pictures to show that the house was all tidy and clean! Well, perhaps that was going a bit too far, and in fact, Nayuta never asked for that... bu her ototou showing so much independance and responsibility only brought lightness and joy to her heart...

... wait, I'm getting off track here.

Nanako must certainly have been wondering why Nayuta just seemed to space out for a brief instant when she mentioned Rin.

This realization came alongside:

Quote Originally Posted by Narration
    You catch a glimpse of a rather confused Sousuke still standing by the door.

"Ehem..." Nanako clears her throat, aware she might have been a little too open about your relationship. "Nayuta-san, this is Moriai Sousuke. He comes from a small village in the south of the continent. He'll be participating in the WWMT representing his school, Stregnia."

This is the first time you hear someone that does not belong to the 'big four' will take part in the tournament. It is true that other educative institutions exist, as four of them simply aren't enough to house the sheer demand of Miracle Wielders there is at the time, but their teaching is limited to the point you may say it's ninety nine percent theory. Any sound student would opt to first enroll in one of the big four in order to gain a little bit of experience before making such a big leap. Although completely new students are already allowed to participate so...

Perhaps this has more to do with Moriai-san wanting really badly to represent his school than anything else.
    "Oh?"

Such a revelation took Nayuta by surprise. For... Moriai-san was it? For him to go that far... it was admirable in its own way. The idea of someone making it into the tournament without even representing the 'Big Four' had a certain romantic, dreamy charm to it. Nayuta was always the kind to cheer on the underdog, so it wasn't surprising that an encouraging smile naturally appeared on her lips when she heard what this young man's plans were.

"Good luck Moriai-san. I'm--"

Quote Originally Posted by Moriai Sousuke
    "Kurokami-san, is it? I hope we can get along."

Huh? How does he know my full name?

Quote Originally Posted by Moriai Sousuke
    "Ah, I apologize." Seemingly realizing his own misstep, the boy draws an apologetic smile. "The truth is I already know who you are. I read an article about you. About last year's-"
    "..."

Of course, that's natural. It was something that attracted a lot of attention, because of what had happened back then.

But even though she had gotten over it, even though she had convinced herself that she wouldn't let that event chain her down to the past...

...merely hearing about it from out of the blue, and 'that' being the reason why someone would know her, is enough to cause her to freeze and involuntarily reminisce in her head of what happened 'back then'.

No. I've gotten over this already. It was an accident.

Wake up Nayuta, wake up!

We stumble so that we may get up once again!

------

She had gone through hell to overcome this ordeal, but she had not fully freed herself of its ghost yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hishikawa Nanako
    "Ah, right! I almost forgot!" Before Sousuke can finish the sentence, however, the principal places herself between the two of you with expert timing. "Nayuta, as it is only natural for me to do so, I've been monitoring your progress and I have to say... I am very glad-! The result of last week's exams just came in and yours are outstanding. Hmmm~ It would if you could make a few more friends, but if you like it the way it is, then that's just fine."

Beaming a smile, your guardian hands you an envelope.

"Here. Congratulations~"
    With Nanako's timely interjection aiding her, Nayuta quickly replaces the expression of emptiness that had been smeared on her face for a pleasant smile, the one she usually carries. Shoving her thoughts about 'that' deep into the depths of her mind wasn't exactly something Nayuta could do on command, but faced with Nanako's commendations, and even, her reward... Nayuta could only beam back and give a deep, thankful bow.

"I'm very thankful Hishikawa-san. I will continue to try my best. However you've played a part in this too -- if I was the one putting the knowledge to good use, then it was the institution that was teaching me in the first place. It's a team effort, isn't it?"

Though Nayuta had to wonder, what was in that letter?

"This is?" the girl asked Nanako, with a rather puzzled expression.

To be called to the Headmaster's Office and be given a letter... there had to be something special in there. Granted, it might've just been Nanako's whims to call Nayuta up since the two hadn't met in a while, and it wouldn't be unusual if she just wanted to meet up with Nayuta as a proper 'nee-san' should... but still... Nayuta felt like there was something else to this meeting here.

Perhaps that it had to do with Moriai-san?
    Last edited by Ayakashi; May 18th, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

Takumi Hokuto
    Starlight Academy - Dorms
    Monday - Morning

"Takumi. Hey, Takumi... Wake up, you big idiot!"

As something grabs you firmly by the collar and shakes you as if its life depended on it, you gradually begin to recover your consciousness. Ah... This is your room, or rather, the school dorms where you will be staying for as long as you are a student. A small part of the alumni do have a nearby home to come back to at the end of the day, but the grand majority has no choice but to stay here. More importantly, the 'something' that has decided to urgently deny your peaceful sleep is no other than your roommate, Inugami Makoto, a boy your age whose passion for battle only comes second to his talent for getting into trouble of a certain kind. From afar, it's not hard to confuse him with a shy and secluded person, but as he has managed to prove time and time again since you became partners, he possesses an outstanding amount of courage few others can match.

After all, not every student has so much anime merchandise on display like this...

"Do you know what time it is-?!"

Noticing his method has proven effective, Makoto releases his grip on you and points towards the clock next to the bed. Taking a look at it, it doesn't sound like it's late. You still have plenty of time to get up, do some work out, prepare your things and arrive at school just in time for class. Thus, it is hard to make out exactly what makes the time so important, although, looking closely at the numbers, you seem to recall Inugami said something about this particular window of time. Right, wasn't something 'grand' supposed to happen? The World Wide Magic Tournament begins today but... Somehow, it feels like this is something different, something completely unrelated, yet of vital importance to someone like Makoto.

"Don't tell me you forgot... Tsk, Takumi, you dumbass. Let me show you... The fruits of my labor!"

Without further ado, Makoto walks towards his side of the wall and gently removes a big poster featuring a fashion model, revealing a small hole perfectly located in such a way that no one would be able to tell it's there without their attention being drawn to it. This is it, the kind of trouble Makoto seemingly enjoys. You see, Starlight doesn't get separate dorms, one for boys and one for girls. The dorms are mixed, hell, some students are 'lucky' enough to be paired with someone of the opposite gender. Bearing no hard feelings towards you nor being content with the current estate of affairs, Inugami worked hard for over a month to secretly pave a path towards glory. For you see, next to your room is another with two girls...

"Aallllllright! Let's do it-!"

Yes... It all comes down to this very moment. Right now, those girls are changing into their uniforms, preparing for the day ahead. It's a one-in-a-lifetime chance that no man can afford to miss-!

... But when Makoto nearly slams your head against the wall for you to be the first to see the goodies, all your eye manages to catch is a flash of Harukawa Rie's panties as she quickly puts on her skirt. In other words, nothing you are not familiar with. The hole is too narrow for you to see anything else.

Oh?

As if fate itself wanted to reward you for accepting the risk that comes with spying foreign lands, you manage to spot the beautiful legs of the second girl as she begins to put her socks on.

They look delicate and beautiful in comparison to Rie's firm and worked out legs. No doubt, these are Shishidou Kae's-

"Okay, time out buddy. Now's my turn."

Shoving you aside in a friendly manner, Inugami pauses only to adjust his glasses before taking a peek into the unknown. Being the kind of person he is, you are surprised to see him wear a confused expression the moment he tries to see what's going on on the other side.

"Huh? Hold on, I can't see a thing..."

It was dark, almost pitch-black, as if someone had placed their thumb there to block all vision. No, that kind of scenario is something only a hopeful person would come up with. You take a step backwards, because the moment you hear the almost silent cackle of lightning, you realize that what's coming next isn't going to be as harmless.

"Gwaaahh!"

Unfortunately, even with your support, Makoto doesn't prove to be fast enough and is hit by a discharge strong enough for you to see his bones, if only for an instant. If everyone at the school wasn't forced to wear a 'Folding Jacket', he may have been fried alive. A truly merciless move that is as unhesitant as retribution itself...

With this, it is safe to say that your cover has been blown. You'll only be allowed a small fraction of time befo- It's no good, they are already at the door, ringing the bell-!

"Dude... This is bad...!"
    Last edited by hero; May 21st, 2017 at 01:46 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Kurosawa Ryouji
    Starlight Academy - Yard
    Monday - Morning

Even though the score would imply otherwise as far as Kurosawa Ryouji was concerned this battle was far from over. What kind of victory was a simple surrender from the opponent? No, even more so it would not be truly a victory, to accept this surrender would be the opposite of what it looked like on the outside. Yes, if he were to accept this surrender then regardless of what anyone else thought about this battle, regardless of the school's records, regardless of his peers, the only one who would lose here is he himself. Worse still, she had been holding back this whole time and still kept up with him.

The ragged breathing that escaped him and his tired form only made it all the worse. The obsidian armor that encased him had few scratches from their various bouts but that was only because of that weird formula she had used. No, the real damage from this battle was elsewhere, unseen to whatever spectators were enjoying their little duel.

This woman, Ogami Guren, knowingly or not had struck something important to him. Her demeanor was filled with the things he hated, the casual and carefree nature of her suggestion making it all the worse. She must have had fun playing with him these past five matches but apparently she had lost whatever interest she had in him. As if to say that he was no longer the trouble, that this was his limit.

Looking down on him like this? That was dangerous.

"Sorry, but a win like that just doesn't sit well with me."

Surrender? That was well and truly a joke. Such a bad joke that he couldn't even laugh at it. No, he wouldn't let it end in such a way.

"But I get the feeling you're not taking me too seriously."

Even if he tried to say it nicely, his tone had given him away. Irritated was an understatement, pissed off...now that was closer to how he felt about her.

He wasn't going to let her walk away after pulling a stunt like that on him. He was going to win this battle on his terms, not hers. And if she had a problem with it? Well, she should've picked a more weak willed mark, someone who could run home and be proud of being handed what they wanted on a silver platter. Fighting for what he wanted had been his way for as long as he remembered and he'd be damned if this woman would change that.

He took a stance, his gaze falling flat on the strange woman. It was only polite to give her fair warning that the last round was starting whether she liked it or not.

After all, she had slighted him in the one way he couldn't allow. Looking down on him, holding back, thinking it only fair to give him the match as a 'reward'.

She had wounded his pride.

"Guess I'm going to have to change that."

It was a good thing that the field used by these schools were so durable, after all the amount of damage a battle like this could cause to the surrounding area were beyond comprehension. More so than that, there was little reason to hold back when it came to these kinds of fights and anyways...Ryouji had no intention of holding back against someone like her. The distance between the two was considerable, enough to give her some chance to strike back at him with another one of her weird techniques, that would only further humiliate him...but then the answer was simple wasn't it?

Close that distance in an instant.

Scorpius.

A movement too fast for the human eye or perhaps even the human senses, the black lion had crossed the plains in a single step. His clenched fist reared back mid-movement, the inevitable becoming more apparent by the moment. The armor he wore was not only a defensive magical construct but one that also enhanced his physical prowess as well and the momentum that carried him forward would only bring about more force to his attack.

And Ogami Guren would take all of it.

Like a bullet, his fist flew forward to strike his opponent square in the stomach. It was nothing but simple brute force but perhaps that was all that was needed.

Ah, but that wouldn't do. This wasn't enough to push her to truly fighting him.

That's why he had to go further, to push her, for her to realize one simple thing.

Kurosawa Ryouji was done playing games with her.

Second Strike.

His form shifted, disappearing again.

There was no activation of a second rune nor was there any telltale signs of strain on his weapon.

He had simply used the true power of his weapon.

Appearing behind her, he repeated the motion. In but a moment of his first attack, he would strike her again even as the force of the first attack still rippled through her.

Only a total victory would satisfy him.

The man who would be the next King.

Wise-up!
    Name: Kurosawa Ryouji
    Alias: LEO

Miracle: Zodiacus
    Zodiacus is a straightforward miracle at first sight, taking the form of a blackened armguard that wraps around Ryoji’s right arm as a fitting piece of armor with intricate designs flowing from the gem embedded in his fist.

Unique Trait: Sealed Power
    As the name implies, the true strength of Zodiacus is sealed until the corresponding rune: Leo, whereby Zodiacus can show its true strength.

Formulae:

Leo ~ The Lion
    The first spell that Ryoji had learned when he had become a Kiseki, imprinted on him from Zodiacus itself. The spell uses the armguard and user as a base to construct an armor over the user in the same fashion as Zodiacus itself, with a lion motif as one could glean from the name. The spell itself does a moderate boost in the user’s parameters and the strength of his/her spells, its real power lies in how it is linked to the unique attribute of Zodiacus: Sealed Power.

Scorpius ~ The Scorpion
    Strike swiftly or you risk losing the advantage, themed after the quick strikes of the arachnid, Scorpius allows for instantaneous movement, allowing for distances to easily be closed or vice versa. The strength of any physical blow coming from Scorpius is strengthened due to the momentum, though the movement is only for an instant and the user’s actual speed thereafter is unaffected.

Sealed Power - Scorpius
    Sealed Power: Second Strike
    The power of Scorpius persists for a second strike, this means hit and runs are sound strategies with the spell or striking twice in quick succession. The speed is also increased to the point that it allows for momentary afterimages to occur due to the energy generated by the armor and in quick succession can lead to an alarming amount of enemies being seemingly present at ‘once’.

Last edited by Dranes; May 27th, 2017 at 08:21 PM.

Nakamura Amaya
    Tir Na Nog - Dojo
    Monday - Morning

Whereas other institutions follow a strict schedule, in Tir Na Nog Academy students are free to create their own. In other words, one can decide how much time will be devoted to a certain class. It goes without saying that you must be independent and responsible enough, that is, if you want to maximize your training and survive in the jungle that is the school. Sometimes, however, because some classes are considered extremely unpopular by the alumni, some students are randomly selected and forced to take part in them. Such is the case of the parachuting class, where the participants would be violently thrown off the floating island and forced to land on the ground below using whatever means available. Contrary to its name, students are never given parachutes...

In any case, since your arrival, your Monday mornings have always belonged to Major Springfield's class. Though he was offered to retire the army with honors several years ago, Major Springfield's desire to serve still keeps him within its ranks. Whenever he is not enlisted in 'super-secret missions' no one would dare to inquire about, he is a teacher here at Tir Na Nog Academy. He is everything you would expect from the majors you see in old movies, and while his regime is indeed strict, it pales in comparison to other... Rather extreme activities held within the island. One of the reasons why his class is a gathering spot for individuals who like to slack off, yet require to attend the minimum amount of classes not to be cut down by the Headmaster's sword. After all, there is no such thing as being expelled in Tir Na Nog. Just the promise of more pain...

Today, everyone was surprised to hear Major Springfield would not be leading the group, as the headmaster, Sawai Mihou intended to give the students a special lesson before the tournament actually starts. At first, everyone panicked, remembering just how much of a demon Sawai can be when it comes to training. Absolutely unbelievable things such like carrying the entire academy across the pacific ocean are common talk, and sometimes what you hear seems to compare to what humans of a past age would call 'slavery'. Regardless, everyone relaxed when they were told that weights would not be necessary for the next exercise. You see, Tir Na Nog has the tradition of removing any sort of pain inhibitors present on the student's Folding Jacket. Normally, this would make it impossible to carry out fights, as sometimes pain is so intense it is only natural those who feel it would faint. But, after being exposed to so much insanity, the body gets used to it. Following the same thought, students wear weights most of the time in order to remind them their jackets and weapons do not make them anything beyond human.

As a multitude of students remove their weights, Ai space activates and automatically expands in order to preserve the wooden floor from suffering massive damage given the sheer weight of these accessories.

"..."

Everyone looks relieved, but you can only feel suspicious. Perhaps because you have always been a tad closer to the headmaster than the rest of the people in the room, you can tell something is off. This is not like her. In that sense, not being forced to wear weights should not be something to be relieved of. If anything, such development should be reason enough to feel alarmed.

"Yo."

Once Mihou arrives, she introduces herself in a simple manner. At first glance, it wouldn't be hard for an ignorant person to confuse her for another student. Her attire is nothing special and her slim frame just doesn't compare to some of the titans present in the dojo. Yet, only a fool would dare disrespect this woman. Whereas other Headmasters are respected for their position, Sawai Mihou is respected because of how powerful she is. As a true Magus who specializes in the use of brute force, it would not be unreasonable to claim she can take on the entire student base and emerge victorious by a landslide. She's a survivor who has outlasted two actual Magi Wars, the kind of person who has amassed enough power to divide the planet in two with a single stomp if she wanted to.

Ultimately good at heart, but an unforgiving teacher who will not overlook potential when she sees it.

"Alright! I feel stronger, faster and my stamina has gone up as well. So these are the results of our training... Mihou-chan, I'm thankful for showing this to us."

The name of the idiot is Kato Kagari. He's the kind of boy who gets pumped up the moment things look up, yet can get even more excited when the odds are stacked against him. Even after a second goes by, he remains oblivious to his mistake, the rest of the class immediately taking a step backwards as part of an instinctive art of self-preservation. Comments like 'He's so gonna die' and 'Oh god, he has doomed us all.' immediately follow. Calling the Headmaster by her first name, when they are not that well acquainted, even going as far as adding the '-chan' honorific...

---Kato Kagari is indeed beyond brave.

"...Is that so?" One could see Sawai's eye twitching from a mile away. "Then you won't mind running a demonstration of today's exercise for the group to see."

-------

The scene has changed drastically. AI Space is by default a recreation of the real world, but through Robotic;Notes, a miracle-wielder can alter the environment to favor their particular fighting style. The school faculty has access to multiple Robotic;Notes that do not necessarily belong to them and are controlled by the AI Space machine. These are often used for the purpose of specific exercises. In this case, the area where you find yourself standing resembles a molten landscape. The heat is extreme but the temperature has been clearly modified artificially in order to make it bearable. Furthermore, because everyone but Kagari is on 'spectator mode', the effects are even harder to perceive.

"Think of this a simple delivery job. The goal is to bring the package to the target destination which lies five kilometers ahead. Here."

Kato receives a simple envelope. From the looks of it, it probably does not contain anything other than paper. Naturally, while making it easier to carry, it also means the package is extremely vulnerable to hazardous conditions like these.

"But the molten ground should be the least of your worries."
    The headmaster raises her index finger towards the dark skies and the moment she does, a rain of tiny meteorites begins to rain down-! "Get hit by these, and you are out."

Aware that if he remains still he is just a sitting duck, Kagari does the smart thing to do and sprints forwards and away from harm. However, the moment he attempts to do such a thing, he is nearly forced to kneel down by a mysterious force. This is...

"Ah, forgot to tell you. This place has twenty times Earth's gravity. You can now be glad you won't be using weights for these exercises."

So that was why...

The sheer thought of having to go through this gives you goosebumps.

And, as if the devil himself could smell your fear...

"Though it might be too mean to have you handle this alone. Nakamura, you join him. After all, if Mr. Kato here can feel how much use the weights have been to him, you must feel exactly the same, no?"
    Last edited by hero; May 25th, 2017 at 02:10 PM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nakamura Amaya
    Tir Na Nog - Dojo
    Monday - Morning

It was a world of fire.

With molten lava running along flame-baked earth, and burning streaks tearing across the sky like lost fireworks, it is a landscape that would absolutely reject the lives of human beings. It is a place that seems a step away from disaster, with the earth's fiery blood already exposed, it seems but a step away from an eruption, a cataclysm, a roaring storm of fire and black ash that would choke out everything that didn't drown in flames.

A boy was tossed out into that hellscape by a certain demon she knew well, and the moment she had watched him be pressured into leaving, following the orders of the maou, Nakamura Amaya knew...

That it absolutely wouldn't be so easy as just a hellscape.

"..."

That's why she wasn't surprised... When the woman had casually mentioned that this world's gravity was twenty times that of the earth she knew and loved, nor was she surprised when she was the next victim to be tossed upon the fires of what was looking to be an exceptionally special kind of hell. Not a single person should ever want to run out into a world like that willingly, it was about as bad as it got when it came to environments that just didn't work out for human beings, and while a part of her certainly instinctively recoiled at the thought of having to be the second guinea pig.

That fear did nothing to erase...

"Aye, I guess I can say I feel a bit stronger. All that extra weight you slipped on me really worked out!"

The strangely thrilled smile that had crossed her face at the challenge.

It was going to be an absolutely awful experience, no doubt about it. It would be a pain in the ass to not only have to look out for herself, but try to help out Kato as well, but even so-!

These horrible, horrific, slave-driver like training sessions...

Was exactly the kind of training she was looking for, even though those grueling sessions sometimes made convincing herself to get up in the morning pretty difficult-!

"But Mihou... You realize that you've finally gone and brought in literal fire and brimstone, right? That demon nickname... Well, there are limits to tough love, you know?"

It was a remarkably friendly manner of speech towards the Headmaster, in fact, seemingly purposefully poking fun at the older woman in a light-hearted kind of way, one could say that it was definitely too casual-

"But alright, I'll be the one smiling in a bit-! Get ready Kato, we're definitely getting through this-!"

-But Nakamura Amaya held no real fear towards Sawai Mihou's training, she would moan and complain just like everyone else at the more absurd things, but when it came down to it-!

She doubted even this exercise was serious.

If Mihou actually meant it, the path to the goal would also be steadily vanishing at a constant rate behind them, and they would still be wearing those weights.

She knew her well enough to know that much at least.

"Heaven's Eye-!"

Leaping forward, well aware that the scenario wasn't going to just start again from the beginning just because someone else had been added onto the scenario, the red-haired Nakamura opens and enhances all of her senses as she charges out into hell with a resolve that mirrored that of a certain boy from a long time ago.

The world, and everything in it, including herself, seems to slow down in accordance with her perceptions.

Her foot touches down, and immediately, the weight of an inhospitable world makes itself known. It's a lot, while she had been able to make a rough guess as to how it would 'feel' before actually throwing herself out into the arena, that first step into a flame-lit world is one that bears a moment of pause, not a moment of hesitation, but rather...

Of adjustion.

She could handle it.

Moving slowly along with the world, the girl determines that she can hold up without Mana Burst, at least for now, and nods to herself as if to punctuate that fact with her resolve. The second step carries no hesitation or pause, neither does the third, the fourth-!

Sprinting directly towards danger, or rather, her momentarily dumbstruck classmate. While her enhanced perceptions were limited to a smaller area around herself, the size and speed of the objects meant that such a thing didn't truly matter.

A human cannot avoid an entire storm.

And this meteor shower was certainly a form of "storm."

So-!

Intending only on avoiding those things that would directly impact her, because that was the only actual loss condition other than the destruction of the package, the grinning red-haired young woman reaches Kato and-!

"Come on, come on! Let's go-! These sorts of things tend to get more complicated as time goes on-!"

Proves that she is already completely into the assignment, hand held out for the package if he wanted to pass it to her, with her eyes glowing the brilliant silver color that was synonymous with her family.

Amaya

Spells

-Heaven’s Eye-
    Type: Semi-Unique (Nakamura Hitomi)
    A spell inherited from her adopted aunt rather than her father, and one whose functions have remained more or less constant over the years, although due to Amaya’s status as an artificial magus rather than a true one, alterations to the magical formula have been made to accommodate the different nature of her existence. Temporarily alters and enhances not just the eyes of the user, but the rest of their five senses as well, bringing their perceptions up to new heights. Unlike Hitomi, who is capable of monitoring an entire island with the original rune, this variation is focused over a smaller area, but the ability to read even the tiniest of enemy muscle movements within that area has been maintained, and thus, perception bordering on precognition is achievable when dueling others.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Kurosawa Ryouji
    Starlight Academy - Yard
    Monday - Morning

"...!"

Ogami Guren has not only seen you move at instant speed before during this battle, she possesses more than enough experience dealing with opponents who follow a similar strategy to know what to do in order to counter it. After all, though any Miracle-Wielder can give their own formula a nickname to suit their own personal theme, that does not change what they were created to do. And... 'Scorpious' is a fairly popular spell amongst Knights who favor quick assassinations. Though it does not boost speed for anything longer than an instant, if used in conjunction with a physical attack, the momentum will increase the force behind the blow as well. If you add the fact that her opponent is clad in a black armor suit, what she is looking at is a balanced combination of power, speed and defense. And that is partly the reason why Ogami Guren is unknowingly gritting her teeth at the moment. Although she has the required skill to anticipate and defend against this kind of attack, the formulas she brought to this battle won't exactly help her overcome it, not without significant effort on her part.

"For a pawn, you are not half bad-!"

There are no traces of hesitation as she dashes forwards in response to your charge. The amount of distance she manages to cover before the distance between the two of you is reduced to zero is nothing but mediocre. However that is all she needs. Swinging her arm in on swift yet solid motion, she repels the incoming fist with supernatural force, just enough to duck under it. By no means should this woman possess the physical strength to perform such feat, however...

For being able to defy logic without stepping outside of what 'humanity' can achieve...

---It's for that precise reason that she can be called a
    Miracle Wielder
    Kiseki-Tsukai
    !

Ogami Guren successfully parries her foe's punch. The formula she used in order to do so, Ladybug, can be a little unreliable, but with expert timing it can prove to be surprisingly useful. Wasting no time now that an opportunity to turn the tides has arrived, she overcharges her fist with Magical Energy and delivers a rising upper-cut meant to throw the red-haired boy high into the air. His stance broken, he can do nothing as her fist dives deep into his stomach and pulls him up with no resistance, as if he had no weight at all.

... And that might as well be the case.

"Wha-?"

Just like her weapon managed to slip through physical bodies in order to find its target, this time her entire arm passes through the body of a mortal man. Or rather, the image Kurosawa Ryouji left in his place the moment he unlocked 'Scorpious' true power through his weapon's unique attribute. By the time Ogami Guren can process everything that has occurred within that tiny window of time, Leo's second attack has already invaded her personal space through her only blind spot.

"Heh..."

Despite being there one more instant for her to react, she discards the thought of showing any sort of resistance and merely turns around to receive the punch.

-------

"See? I told you this one was out of my reach."

The woman calmly said, drawing a smile. At the last moment, you managed to get a peek of how she fights when she is truly serious, but that hardly made a difference. All the formulas she showed you were weak and common amongst newbies. On the other hand, being a proficient fighter yourself, you can tell she's definitively not a novice. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but you are led to believe she was not using her usual formula line-up. From the beginning, this was nothing but a little game to her... Or, perhaps it was the exact opposite. Ah, reconnaissance...?

"Sorry, sorry. I did not intent to wound your pride like that but I made a promise, you see. Winning the upcoming tournament means everything to my team, and so I can be showing off before the time to do so arrives."

It tastes bitter to know that your victory was not absolute as you wanted it to be, but you cannot deny such an approach to the tournament to be a sound strategy. For a brief moment, you pause to consider how many of the weaklings you beat today could have been concealing their true power. Probably no one at all.

As you finish your train of thought, you hear the approaching steps of someone you know.

"Speaking of the tournament. You are going to be late to the opening ceremony if you don't make a run for it. I shouldn't need to be here to remind you of that, Kurosawa-kun."

It looks like the closest thing you have to teammate you have is here to pick you up.

-------

Quote Originally Posted by Tutorial
    Acquiring new spell Formula
    Through the course of the game, players will seek and obtain 'Spell Recipes' that they can later use during training periods in order to learn new techniques and become stronger. Powerful spell recipes are most commonly either forged by the player or handed out from certain NPCs, but can also be purchased at the Recipe Shop once a Common Spell Formula has been revealed for the first time. There is no limit to how many recipes you can get and how many spells you can learn, but training periods are limited, so prepare for them wisely. And, if you have spare, others might appreciate it if you share...
    Wise Up!
    Common Spells
    Replica (D): Creates several copies of a small target object. The copies share all the original properties, but do not share any added charasteristic (Ex. If the original is coated in poison, the copies will not come coated in poison as well).

Ladybug (F): Creates a small shield meant to be used in parrying. As it is useless for straight-up defense, timing is important.
    Last edited by hero; May 27th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.

Kurokami Nayuta
    Starlight Academy - Hallway
    Monday - Morning

"Oh?"

Hishikawa Nanako's expression reveals she's both surprised and impressed by your answer. Being your guardian, she already had a good gist of what kind of person you were, but hearing you voice your beliefs in a natural manner, avoiding being swallowed into embarrassment and hesitation, inevitably causes an impact. Much like a parent, she can't help but feel proud of your progress and, although it lasts only for a moment, you can feel her struggle not to give the temptation of glomping you once more. She beams a wider smile instead, before bursting into jovial laugher.

"Hahaha! I'm so glad you understand! Team work... That has been Starlight's 'will' since its conception. Nayuta-chan, because of your hard work, I am certain you are ready to tackle the next 'stage' of your training to become a full-fledged Kiseki. Inside that envelope you'll find a 'recipe' that I think will suit you well as a Bishop. It might take a little bit longer to master because it is a level above what you are used to... But if you stick to your motto, I'm sure you'll have no problems with it!"​

There is some money there is as well. Although you are not in a situation where you are in dire need of it, it is unlikely that you can do anything but accept it. After all, as your guardian, it is only natural for her to provide you with an allowance, right? In any case, outwardly, the real reward is nothing eye-catching, just an ordinary USB device. A Sell Recipe is nothing but a encrypted code, after all. However, in order to transform it into a Spell Formula, you'll have to go through a series of steps that will demand both physical and mental strength. It is just as she says... Here lays a key to your growth.

"But don't think I've forgotten about you, Moirai-kun. Since you will be staying here alongside your team until the tournament is over, behave well and don't forget your studies and I will give you a reward as well."

To which Sousuke responds with a polite 'I'll see to surpass your expectations'. Despite being at a loss of words at first, having never expecting to see Nanako's warm side, he has proven quick to adapt to the point where it does not seem to faze him as much now. He still draws a small smile, unable to resist the Principal's contagious nature.

"Oh shucks, It's nearly time for the opening ceremony! Mihou-san will murder me if everything isn't ready by then..."

Unfortunately, your reunion with Hishikawa Nanako does not last much longer. She's truly a busy individual, and a part of you feels like doing your best to help her out. However, the Principal politely turns down your offer with a 'Leave this stuff to me' and a wink. This must be part of her duty as a responsible adult...

Regardless, you soon find yourself standing outside the Principal's office with nobody to accompany you but Sousuke. Because classes were suspended for the day, the halls that are normally packed with students heading to their respective classrooms now look surprisingly empty. Everyone should be either preparing themselves or gathering the team, if already part of one. But not having a team assembled yet should not be a reason to worry, as there should be some more time left to find suitable partners after the opening ceremony is held.

"I feel that Principal Hishikawa might be an interesting person. She certainly does not think like our faculty. It makes me wonder... What kind of trial will hers be...?
    "

Trials have been a core part of the WWMT since its conception. To make it simple, the competition is divided into four challenges that the competitors must clear in order to emerge victorious. Each of them is prepared by one of the 'big four' headmasters following an order decided beforehand, and it is well known by this point that Starlight Academy will be the event's starting point. During the opening ceremony, it will be Nanako who announces what the first trial to overcome will be...

"Mah, it's okay though. It couldn't possibly be something mean, right, Kurokami? I mean, you are the one who knows her best."

Arthur Waynwood
    Monday - Morning

"Mhm... You'd do well not to forget what drove you to seek this place. In the long run, that is what separates a wise student from a mediocre idiot."

Professor Luke Korovin simply takes in all you have to say and then shapes it into a single truth. Though his mere presence is enough to imply he at least cares for what you have to say, his cold gaze and sharp words make it hard to determine whether your response has left him satisfied or not. Regardless, the two of you traverse the endless snowfields, using the landmarks you previously identified in order to make the trip as soon as possible. However, it soon becomes evident that reaching the border without crossing straight through the snowstorm means you'll arrive at your destination later than expected. Even if you act reckless and challenge the weather, whether you manage to reach the main building in time would still be up to a coin toss.

"Truth to be told, the reason I am here is because your efforts have earned you a special invitation to the tournament."

As your current situation forces you to pause for a few minutes in order to evaluate what your next move should be, your teacher lets out the most nonsensical words you've heard come out of his mouth yet. After all, there is no such thing as a special invitation to the WWMT... There has never been the need for one. In the first place, just for being a student at one of the 'big four' schools of magic, you are assured a spot in the event. How far you want to go from there is up to you, but your participation is guaranteed. On the other hand, it has been agreed that whatever advantage one earns at the start of the tournament is determined by one's efforts and achievements. If this has something to do with an illegitimate head-start, you don't want to hear the rest of it.

"Tell me, Arthur. Have you heard of 'Designations'?"

There is no denying that this ice prison has somewhat isolated you from the world, but the mere mention of that word is enough to destroy any previous line of thought you might have wanted to follow. Designations are unique to the Russian Institute. To put it bluntly, it's a notification indicating that you've drawn the principal's attention in some way. While not necessary to get to the top, they do provide great aid in doing so, although they are extremely rare, even among students of top pedigree. What you could have done to earn one escapes you, nevertheless, it is not the sort of thing you can turn down if you wished to. And more importantly, Designations put a higher level of scrutiny on an individual. That is most likely what professor Luke meant with what he said a few moments ago. It's not that you need the special invitation to participate. The designation serves as an insurance, making sure you won't forfeit half-way.

Because here, in the Russian Institute, where everything, promotions included, are decided by Viktor Alekseevich, the headmaster, himself...

---...Letting him down might as well be the same as getting expelled.

"Certainly, you've done an admirable work thus far. You've survived on your own and gotten acquainted with the land well enough to get around without walking straight into a death-trap. You have proven that you can be a true Russian Institute Student... Ceteris Paribus."

That is right.

In an isolated environment, Arthur Waynwood possesses all the needed quality to be called an exemplary student. Those branded with the color 'Red' are nothing but rats taking part in the beginning stages of an experiment. Only when success can be attained in an hypothetical environment when all other things do not change, is everything ready to proceed to the next stage.

"But this school values
    excellence within society. Inside this settlement, you can choose to group together or act alone. Regardless, the chances of someone getting in your way are incredibly slim. You have yet to experience the 'kill or be killed' game that is life within a competitive society. A place where inheritance doesn't make a difference, and where talent and ruthlessness define who you are."

Mr. Korovin steps on his last cigarette as he says this, his usually serious expression being briefly replaced with a mocking grin.

"Whether you are ready for that or not, I can't really tell. But do well during the first half of the tournament and you'll most likely be granted permission to move to the yellow settlement. Well... It's not like you have much of a choice in the matter."

The old man digs into his pocket and retrieves a tiny artifact, smaller than the palm of his hand. He casually tosses it into the snow and, the moment it lands, it expands into a circle big enough to fit two people. A translocator... A type of sub-gear often limited to the 'upper class' within the institute. With it, the Blues can get nearly anywhere within the school, but there is also a public one at the main building to facilitate the way back to the dorms.

"In any case, the first round of the tournament will be held in Starlight Academy. You won't get there without one of these."

Ishikawa Aoi
    Monday - Morning

"We live in a world where science seems to be on a phase of everlasting evolution, Aoi. Miracle Wielders are the living proof that the emulation of feats of magic is no longer beyond the limits of what humanity can do. In any case, with Starlight's resources alone, we don't have enough to claim with certainty whether this was the work of magic or science. The result of B.A.L.D.R.'s eventual study will reveal the answer, that is, if they are kind enough to share it with us. Well, I can always hack into their system if curiosity gets the better of me."

Kawamura Akane might not be the the most suitable individual to cover the role of school nurse, but when it comes to knowledge and skills related the workings of modern science, only a few out there can hold a candle to her outstanding intellect and creativity. Someone more than qualified to be a part of B.A.L.D.R Force's Research and Development branch, albeit someone who follows nothing but her own whims and has no interest in losing the freedom she has worked so hard to obtain.

If there is a reason why she cannot find the truth behind this mystery, it is because she has not been given enough time, nor is she in possession of equipment that would allow her to run the tests required to quench all doubt. But, if someone like her can so confidently deny the 'most likely scenario', it can only mean one thing: For Kawamura Akane, an artifact or drug capable of doing this sort of thing can be manufactured. The expression she wears on her face as she presents her view on the matter says she's willing to bet her pride that an invention like that is not impossible for her to recreate.

"But, if it was really Magic... It must have been extremely powerful and well concealed. After all, not only did it fool a True Magus' detection field, but also the AI Space System. Not to mention the Folding Jacket, which shows no signs of malfunction..."

Certainly, none of the three are infallible, but to surpass all of them and leave no trace behind of doing so? It's somewhat worrying. After all, if you put yourself in the culprit's place, regardless of whether you use Magic or Science to operate... Evading all security measures in one of the big four schools would require months of planning to even feel possible.

All that risk, to leave a random student like a vegetable, unable to connect any thought?

There is something you are not seeing...

And that alone is frustrating.

“I won’t do it, Domon. If you want me to look into this, that's fine. But I’ll do it my way. If you want someone to go into the tournament, have Akane do it.” Aoi’s thumb briefly poked out towards the cheongsam-wearing nurse. “She’s a Bishop, right? That should be fine enough, no?”

"Heh..."

Domon let out a small laugh, seemingly finding pleasure in you trying so hard to dismiss the rumors about yourself. Most likely he knew how you would answer beforehand but decided to go ahead with it just to see how you would react. Behind that deadpan expression that suits him so well hides a human being, after all.

"Well, you do have a point, Ishikawa. Kawamura is the only one of us three who's a student, even if she doesn't follow a regular schedule. And, excluding me of course, she's also the one who owes Hishikawa the most favors."

Despite the aura of maturity that surrounds the nurse, she is way younger than Domon and you are. Since it was determined that her talent as a healer is sub-par for a school as well-known as Starlight, she also doubles as a student in order to keep possession of her Miracle without being dragged into 'troublesome' organizations like B.A.L.D.R. Being a genius though, she rarely shows up in class, instead attending only when exam periods arrive or when her presence is mandatory in order to pass. Even so, for the purposes of joining the WWMT, she would not be under the same restrictions someone like you would be.

"Hold on, you two... I ain't doing anything I don't want to. And, just so you know, I'll be filling charges at the first attempt of blackmail I hear. I bet that's got to be bad for at least one of you."

There is nothing that can be done if Akane doesn't want to participate. However, while reading her expression is hard for you, you can still do so by reading Domon's who's more familiar with her than you are. And far from saying that Kawamura is unwilling to take part, it conveys that she wouldn't mind doing so, but...

'She wants a bribe...'

... Is the best way to sum up Domon's expression in one sentence.

"Although, yeah... I guess I could do it. It would certainly help me fix some negative reviews some of my inventions recived last year. Sigh, it's not my fault the ones who tested them are idiots who do not how to use them. Ah, but since I've been 'slacking off' all this time while others worked hard on their training, I'd probably need some money in order to purchase some very much needed formulas. It'd be a shame if I were to get disqualified during the first trial of the tournament for not being properly equipped, no?"

Something tells you that the money she is asking for isn't necessarily going towards Formula purchases...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ishikawa Aoi
    Monday - Morning
    "Although, yeah... I guess I could do it. It would certainly help me fix some negative reviews some of my inventions recived last year. Sigh, it's not my fault the ones who tested them are idiots who do not how to use them. Ah, but since I've been 'slacking off' all this time while others worked hard on their training, I'd probably need some money in order to purchase some very much needed formulas. It'd be a shame if I were to get disqualified during the first trial of the tournament for not being properly equipped, no?"
    A dismissive snort escaped the violet-haired teacher's lips.

“Who is blackmailing who here, I wonder?” An easy-going grin suddenly flickered on Aoi’s lips. “Maybe I should bring up doubling the number of compulsory lectures during the next staff meeting? The current system clearly too lax if even out resident “genius” cannot maintain her level, no?”

Normally, Aoi wouldn’t really care about Akane’s situation, but the raven-haired girl was already getting far more concessions than was reasonable for any student, “once in a generation” genius or not. Which is why she didn’t find this “shakedown” particularly amusing, all things considered. Considering the incredible leeway given to the “nurse” in terms of her curriculum, asking for something like this was hardly back-breaking. However...

Aoi’s gaze broke away for a second from the dark-haired nurse, only to move towards the figure lying in the bed behind her. For a moment, the labcoat-wearing teacher’s eyes sharpened as they looked upon the broken figure of the young man. Nary a moment later, Aoi’s eyes had returned to their original position, accompanied by a casual shrug from the older woman.

“But fine. I’ll play along. Get whatever you want.” Aoi gave a casual wave of her hand, as if waving away any concerns related to Akane’s sudden request. “Do keep the receipts though. I’ll need to give them to Nanako later.”

“They’ll surely be compensated by the school, at some point. Provided that they are relevant expenses, of course.”

Aoi deflected the pairs sudden looks with a deadpan expression of her own.

“What? Do you think my teacher’s salary is large enough to pay for some nonsensically wasteful experiments out of my own pocket? I’m still waiting for last month’s salary, for god's sake. I couldn’t pay you even if I wanted to!”

Aoi let out a deep sigh as she ran her fingers through her violet hair in exasperation.

“In any case, we can deal with the particulars later. The opening ceremony will start soon, no?”
    Last edited by Mellon; July 2nd, 2017 at 10:19 AM.

Russian Institute - Blue Settlement
    Monday - Morning

It takes a moment for you to realize that everything that just happened has not been a dream, that in order to rescue the penguin -That in hindsight looks more like a small person in a penguin costume rather than an actual penguin- the girl who 'accidentally' brought you here had to rudely push aside at least one member of the elite crew of students, a feat that you instinctively know will not be overlooked by neither the victim nor his tough-looking friends. Before you know it, your body has decided to take the most reasonable course of action in order to preserve its well-being and has begun to retreat. Indeed, it has already understood that the least involved you remain, the better.

"... Where do you think you are going?"

Unfortunately, the moment your back finds the firm chest of another Blue student standing there blocking your path, it quickly becomes apparent that you won't be getting off the hook so easily. When did he sneak behind you? To be honest, up until now, you were unable to feel his presence at all. That says something about how competent these people are as Kiseki-Tsukai and how much of a mess you've got yourself into.

"Not just the cutest, ma'am, but also the bravest penguin you'll ever find-!"

The wiggling pet exclaims, its chest filled with both pride and courage. Seeing as just a moment ago it was just another victim of bullying, you somehow doubt he'll be any help in this predicament. If anything, it's just trying to show off because there is a girl present. Now isn't really the time to be doing that, though...

"Newbies, huh? Well... Ain't that lucky? You coming all the way here saves us the trouble of having to go find you."

Jade, who has not seen any reason to create distance between her and the small gang after recovering the object of her adoration, now finds herself face to face with the leader of said group. Your heart seemingly skips a beat when the man suddenly places his hand on top of the girl's head, seemingly to grab a firm hold of it, however, you are soon allowed to breathe a sigh of relief as the only thing the man does is pat her head, albeit a little bit roughly.

Even so, it's too early to celebrate not being physically punished by these guys. They are not friendly fellows, and you've just happened to land on their territory.

"It's nothin' personal kids. But if you one day manage to climb all the way to where my buddies and I stand today, you'll realize you'd have to be an idiot to let a chance like this slip away. After all,
    seldomly do you bump into a 'source of free points' first thing in the morning, let alone three of 'em."

The Blue Settlements, as opposed to its Red counterpart, has good weather, fine houses and diverse places of interest solely devoted to its reduced student base's comfort. In that sense, it wouldn't be hard to mistake them for arrogant individuals who spend most of their time bragging and lazing off after having worked hard to reach the top of the summit. The truth is, wearing the color blue is a tough endeavor. As a Red, nothing is expected of you but your own survival. The snowfields are there to teach you how to fare on your own, but once you are outside, a lot more expectations are placed upon you. In order to not be demoted to a lesser color, these people have to maintain a nearly flawless battle record. When everyone else in the vicinity is just as tough as you are, you imagine that task only becomes harder and harder as time goes on. Following that logic, it isn't hard to understand the temptation to feast on new students who, given the lack of experience, do not pose much of a challenge to veteran fighters.

"It's ready, boss!"

In a moment's notice, the world is bathed in a blue hue. To be more precise, the world you've been transported is a nearly perfect copy of the one you use to know. This is A.I. Space, where battles between Kiseki-Tsukai usually take place in order to prevent damage to the environment given the highly-destructive formulas involved in them, a neutral Robotic;Notes of sorts. Your Folding Jackets have also activated, meaning a fight is certainly about to ensue.

'Official Match, begin. Battle Royal Mode, activated.'

Despite being nothing but a rookie, you can tell that what's happening does not follow the norm. Official matches do not happen without the agreement of everyone involved. In the case the will to fight is one-sided or there is simply no wish to have it count towards the record, a 'Friendly Match' takes place instead. To tamper with the system this much, they must have got their hands into a powerful device or formula.

"...!"

The instant you decide to move, the student behind you catches in an arm-lock. In spite of his muscular build, his physical strength is not something you cannot overcome, however, you current position makes it hard for you to break out without help. A few meters away from you, the boss draws his weapon, which resembles a bokken, except it's most assuredly made of steel or some other metal. A single glance is enough for you to tell that it can easily break bone with a good swing. No one is at risk given that this is nothing but a 'sport' , but still...

---Will you just be forced to watch until your turn arrives...?

"Alright, kiddo-! Worry not... This will be over in an instant!"

"Ahhh, help!"

Coming down in a diagonal angle, the deadly slash aims to slay Jade and the Penguin in a single motion.