Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    etc
    You know, when you said you'd made recs, I thought you'd actually bother to write the important part of the rec. I ain't putting that up.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewind View Post
    You know I just realized something. Reading some of the review here (mostly the negative ones) and some of the ones on ff.net I have some of the same reactions to reading them.
    Is that bad?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knick View Post
    So ya know, Sick Time links do Death and Justice by arashi.
    Thanks for catching that.
    Last edited by Kyte; November 29th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Hmm, let me do a couple:

+1:

Tainted Ideals, by Stormedge - One of the few alternate HGW fics that I've found genuinely enjoyable. This is mainly because instead of doing a few minor tweaks with a plot or setting twist or two thrown in, the author actually exhaustively thought out and detailed an entirely new HGW without relying on OCs or breaking the grail war. New servants, mostly the same masters, but far changed in that respect. Kotomine Shirou comes off as believable without being hammy or too illogically OOC. Throw in meaningful character development and a rapidly unfolding plot, and you have yourself a must read.

What It Takes to Win, by Void Herald - Despite an over reliance on interaction between the various TYPE-MOON characters for reading material early on and a couple of changes to the FSN backstory that don't particularly make sense as of yet, the fic is well done for its premise. Once said interaction tones itself down into a more believable and meaningful form later on, the fic becomes remarkably better. Death is mostly handled decently, with a couple exceptions (Shinji's felt like bashing), but it feels like its going to be an interesting ride from here on out.

From Fake Dreams, by Third Fang - A borderline fic with its ups and downs, but enough ups for me to recommend it. The premise isn't that hard to get over and the character interaction is interesting to say the least. However, there are feelings of Gary-Stuness from Shirou especially after several seemingly unnecessary plot twists later on. The author does like to ramble quite a bit on mechanics too, some of which are better thought out than others. The harem stuff is not very endearing either. Despite that, there are good fight scenes and nice development for most of the cast.

Hill of Swords, by Gabriel Blessing - Despite some oddly placed infodumps and a Shirou who may strike some as needlessly OOC, the fic is great. Character development and interaction is handled remarkably well, and you can really bring yourself to care about the ZNT cast, even if they didn't evoke sympathy in the source material. Its great to watch those kids grow by living with Shirou, as well as watch him regain pieces of his humanity from living with them. Other than that, anything with action is a lot of fun to read, and GB never makes Shirou too overpowered (except for the infamous Excalibur screw-up, but even that can be gotten over). Overall, a great story with some background problems, but nothing that keeps it from being a must read.

Shinderalla, by Mozco and RadiantBeam - Comedy, parody, brilliance on stage. A FSN mockery of a classic that is done so well that it is nearly impossible to hold a straight face for more than five seconds. The only thing I can say is READ IT, READ IT NOW! You will not regret it (unless you are drinking something at the same time).

All I have time for atm. Will probably get back to this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Is that bad?
    Depends. Some of the commentary has me going "THAT'S what you're complaining about?" but in truth that's just a demonstration about how different people have different tastes. What I like another person might not and vice versa. Others have me going "Did you actually read the fic you're complaining about?" which is unfortunate but common. There haven't been any that make question the writer's intelligence though, which I consider a good thing. And thankfully there haven't been any reviews that can only really be summarized by the term fanwank.
    Last edited by nitewind; November 29th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

Blog Entries
    +1 Sick Time
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    +1 Sick Time
    Ditto

+1 Sick Time

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    I'm gonna have to make a Moczo index.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just link to Moczo's FF profile. =V

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    I'm aware not all his fics are to everyone's taste but his average vote count is preposterously high and I need to start thinking of something now 'cause I wouldn't be surprised if in the medium-term we end up with Moczo dominating the top of the list.

yannow, prepare for worst-case scenario. :V

Blog Entries
    I'm aware not all his fics are to everyone's taste but his average vote count is preposterously high and I need to start thinking of something now 'cause I wouldn't be surprised if in the medium-term we end up with Moczo dominating the top of the list.

yannow, prepare for worst-case scenario. :V
    you say that like it's a bad thing.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    I don't want a moczocalypse. :V

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It might be a decent idea to make two categories, with one being for one-shots and the other being for longer, generally chapter-based fiction.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    This sounds good.

+1

Fate/Night Sky, Tainted Ideals, Chaos Theory, Eureka, Dear Tohsaka trilogy, Fate/ Far Side, All From a Hospital Bed, Remember, Steel and Cherry Blossoms, Xth Loop, Didn't Even Make It, Escaping Fate, In Flight, Prismatic Chaos, I Am Not There, Debt of a Sword, Fletching, Fate Alternate Routes

Mahou Senki Lyrical Days- For it's minimalist approach to Nasuverse elements, excessive canon rehash and some plot mechanics issues.

Hill of Swords- For issues with Shirou's characterization and character bashing.

Edit: New recommendation: Homonculove by Mereo Flere

Synopsis: A Prismatic Illya based scenario, where it will mostly focus on how Shirou became accustomed to being part of the Emiya-Einzbern family.

Prepare for just an ordinary slice of life story about a cute family doing cute things.
    Last edited by Muramasa; November 30th, 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    You know, when you said you'd made recs, I thought you'd actually bother to write the important part of the rec. I ain't putting that up.
    I'm not really sure how to further summarize those without either spoiling the fics or ruining the jokes.

I just put those there for people to vote for so there are links and categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    mmmnyeh
    gonna have to separate into one-shots and multichapters, then

but not tonight

Blog Entries
    Either way, Moczo wins the top spot, can't you see our feeble attempts to stop his plans of world domination are useless.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    So long as it's not a moczocalypse I'm good.

Blog Entries
    I don't want a moczocalypse. :V
    I'm not sure that would be a bad thing, but I'm fairly sure we'll be fine. There seems to be a unwritten rule where for the 'Epic' writers the longer it takes for you to update/create new fics the better your quality of writing is. Moczo doesn't come up with stuff that often... (then again this is a general rule, what with Santo and Aiden outbreaks once upon a time, and even further back writing Gods such as IRUn and Elf comes up with weekly or fortnightly updates... good times.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muramasa View Post
    Edit: New recommendation: Homonculove by Mereo Flere

Synopsis: A Prismatic Illya based scenario, where it will mostly focus on how Shirou became accustomed to being part of the Emiya-Einzbern family.

Prepare for just an ordinary slice of life story about a cute family doing cute things.
    +1 to Homonculove for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Elf, dealing fanfic crack for Beast Lair since 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    Elf: Crack Dealer. Story at eleven.
    'Fae is Foul' - My SAO/ZnT Crossover fanfic (SB Thread) (FFN Link)

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    +1 to Kyte for being so awesome.

Although I've got to ask, is ordering them by number of votes really worth all the work? I know that the current large amount of fluctuations should calm down in another week or so, but it just seems like having to reorder the list at the whims of every person coming out of the woodwork to +1 something five months from now seems a bit excessive. A more stable method of organization, like say newest recs on top/bottom would be easier on you. That particular method would also prove to be a convenient way for someone to find worthwhile stories that gained notoriety while they were on a hiatus from the fandom. Popularity is already tracked in the op, but other than digging through the thread there isn't really a chronology.