Page 301 of 302 FirstFirst ... 201251291296299300301302 LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,020 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

祖 Ancestor
    +1 to thirteenth labour
    I'd post a rec for the Precusors of Purity but I'll have to see what the other shot of this "two shot" looks like first. Promising so far though.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    It's not the discussion that bothers me. It's how poorly it meshes with everything else going on. It's cumbersome.

Edit: Not to say it's a bad story by any means. It's very good. It was just agreeing with Kyte that the language struck me as odd, but it looks like his opinion of how it's odd differs from mine.
    I ain't even mad. I understand and acknowledge the criticisms. I just wasn't adept enough to work it all in through more subtle means without disrupting the flow of other scenes in other unforeseen ways.

In retrospect, though, beating readers over the head with the themes probably isn't that inappropriate considering that this is the Berserker/Illya team we're talking about here.

Kinda flowery language though yeah that's totally on me. The "what works in a written medium versus a written plus visuals medium" excuse can only take one so far.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Title: Heldenhaft
    Author: Cornuthaum
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5687144/1/Heldenhaft
    Synopsis/Blurb: Three of history's greatest fight to the death.
    Recommendation: Short and sweet, it cuts to the chase of the Holy Grail War as a legendary deathmatch. It's a brutal two-on-one melee between heroes that delivers with a lot of bloody mayhem, but the real standout is the three distinct POVs that each have something to say about that it means to be a Heroic Spirit. I like way it plays both sides against the middle with the idea that they're all caught up in patterns by their very nature as legends, but it also criticizes the notion that they are entirely enslaved by their history. Their history is their power, but they wouldn't have been heroes if they were predictable types to rest on their laurels.

The Noble Phantasms are generally obvious and not especially imaginative (Archer's aside), but it's okay because the entire spectacle is more about dissecting the nature of heroes than being the fight scene to end all fight scenes. But even that is done well. You can feel Saber seething with every line of his POV, and Lancer and Archer's arrogance is so thick you could choke on it. I enjoyed the contrast between those two, even if they're working together, and how Archer was willing to throw Lancer under the bus.

The only warning I would put up is that these three are all new faces. (One of them was Nasuverse-legitamized later with Apocrypha, but that's really beside the point.) The author ditches the familiar faces to use the basic Grail War concept as a framework. I think it works, but others might write it off as OC trash.
    Last edited by Imperial; October 26th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Huh.

+1 to Heldenhaft. Shit's good.

Cornuthaum had also written a similar battle-focused oneshot about EMIYA fighting a hopeless battle against Siegfried around the time CM4 came out, but he unfortunately deleted it not too long after.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    That'd be an interesting story now. Not on the powerleveling aspect, but now that we know that Siegfried is a heroic mirror image of Shirou Emiya.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Huh. Haven't started this yet, but is it a First War fic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    It's just a war, nobody canonical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

It's a small one-shot, but a good one that only focuses on the nitty gritty of Servants killing each other. We don't know about their masters, or where they're fighting, or where in the world they are (if it's Fuyuki in the past or whatnot). We don't even get to know or see the other four Servants. All that's important is the battle, to which this Saber knows is all that matters, despite the odds placed against him.

I'd recommend Heldenhaft too, because it's that fun to read.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Cornuthaum had also written a similar battle-focused oneshot about EMIYA fighting a hopeless battle against Siegfried around the time CM4 came out, but he unfortunately deleted it not too long after.
    Oh my God, I would have eaten that up with a spoon. What a shame it was dumped

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Huh. Haven't started this yet, but is it a First War fic?
    It could be, but we don't really have much context for the fight. It's just a battle in a Holy Grail War, whichever one that may be.
    Last edited by Imperial; October 26th, 2014 at 01:31 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thirteen Labor has received a second part. Go read it.

- - - Updated - - -

If it helps, it's titled "2,500 YEARS WORTH OF IMAGINARY SEMEN​"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    If it helps, it's titled "2,500 YEARS WORTH OF IMAGINARY SEMEN​"
    I'm very scared.

It's Darkest just before Dawn. John At Dawn's Avatar
    Oh okay. Wow. The entire time I thought you guys were talking about this. And I just kept thinking, "You guys are just now reading that?"

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    I'm very scared.
    Don't worry. It's mostly safe for work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John At Dawn View Post
    Oh okay. Wow. The entire time I thought you guys were talking about this. And I just kept thinking, "You guys are just now reading that?"
    That's funny. Might as well give it a shot.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Kyte, can you update Lancer Gets Serious along with the rest of the OP now that LGS is completed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Wasn't it completed like a long time ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korburss View Post
    Frank you Franco and the Franking pun of bull you rode in on.

One true OTP...

It's even less complete now! :C

Banned
    Blog Entries
    +1 to Thirteenth Labor. Finally got around to finishing it. My god, IRUN.

Blog Entries
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8939763...er-eats-Lancer
    +1 to Saber eats Lancer. It is intentionally bad, with frequent misspellings and an absolutely ridiculous concept. It has more crack than an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    SINIB is already a fan of the best whore. Well, she's not a whore per se, but I have it on good authority that she moves like an experienced prostitute.