Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    What if he meant better than two thirds. :V

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Ah, a supermajority. Being in the top 33% still isn't too impressive, though. There's a lot of bad fanfics out there.

But hey, 67% is a passing grade.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    67% of goals achieved, not percentile 67. Unless you want to define failure as whatever two of every three people can achieve.

(see Sturgeon's Law)
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I'm giving Calling Card a recommendation.

It's a post-grail war fic featuring a post-humble-pie Shinji as the protagonist. The premise is a crossover with Psyren, featuring time travel into an alternate future Land of Steel and psychic powers that are just different enough from the normal Nasuverse variety to peak interest while remaining plausible. The cross is a smart one; Psyren's setting meshes well with the Nasuverse without feeling shoehorned in, and the story's structure gives the spotlight to many of the minor side characters that appear in Fate/Stay Night, putting careful focus on characterization over oodles of action. Shinji's bitterness and elitism is also enjoyable to read and comes off as fresh when combined with first person narration.

I was hesitating to recommend it earlier, as only a handful of chapters had come out, but at this point I feel confident that barring a sudden, unexpected drop in quality in the near future, it's worth a read.

- - - Updated - - -

now update the damn op kyte

Dueling with Giant Robots to achieve Understanding naschyamamoto's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Seconding Calling Card. Suprisingly, it's pretty readable even without knowledge of Psyren- I've read Psyren of course, but the only thing from Psyren in here is the setting. And it works so much better because of that, because Yu Yu Hakusho-esque shonen comedy is not what Fate needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    There was contributing. And suggestions and . . . okay a bunch of people demanding me to write this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    Well yeah, that last one always happens.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I'll third Calling Card. I was pleasantly surprised at how compelling it is to watch Shinji post-UBW. Another thing that's really nice about this fic is that it pays most of its attention to the oft overlooked supporting cast, like Ayako and Issei.

There's also an element of passive interest whenever Rin, Shirou, and/or Sakura are 'on stage' so to speak, just for the novelty of seeing what they're doing immediately after this particular route ends. It's not something that I've seen explored yet. At least, not the still in school aspect. Not since Arashi's Turned Left, by my recollection, though I'll admit, I'm no expert.
    Last edited by Draconic; October 28th, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Frankly, I'm hoping it keeps the protagonist trio off screen as much as possible. He's doing a good thing by focusing on minor characters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    He's doing a good thing by focusing on minor characters.

the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read the fic in question because no idea what Psyren is, but just throwing out that minor roles for major characters in fic that is about minor characters can be really cool. Makes it feel coherent in an "everyone is the main character of their own story" way. Except in the case of unhealthy fixation, I guess.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes View Post
    I haven't read the fic in question because no idea what Psyren is, but just throwing out that minor roles for major characters in fic that is about minor characters can be really cool. Makes it feel coherent in an "everyone is the main character of their own story" way. Except in the case if unhealthy fixation, I guess.
    Psyren is a manga series.

Blog Entries
    I figured it was anime or manga but that's very broad.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    only really messed up people crossover TM with anything other than video games and anime
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    I, a very messed up person...

Other Links

Spoiler:

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes View Post
    I figured it was anime or manga but that's very broad.
    Psyren is a shonen manga where high schooler Ageha gets drawn into a post-apocalyptic wasteland while searching for his missing classmate Amamiya. Cool and varied psychic powers and humor ensue.

It's a manga I very much recommend, to the point where I bought the first few volumes for a friend of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle King_of_None's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shame about the rushed ending.
    Spoiler:

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Compared to other rushed endings, it's remarkably coherent. I am still disappointed though that
    Spoiler:
    [Ageha going antiheroey]
    never got the chance to go anywhere, though. It would've made for interesting character growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Title: Helix, Unfurled
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/8130155
    Synopsis: (by author, Gramarye) In the aftermath of the confrontation at the Ogawa apartment complex, three survivors leave the battlefield relatively unscathed. In Touko's mind, this should feel like more of an achievement than it actually does.

Review: Hey look, it's a Kara no Kyoukai fic. I prompted it into existence, but that's as far as my credit-taking goes. This story is in Touko's headspace/perspective and is a sort of missing scene and character study immediately following the end of Mujun Rasen | Paradox Spiral. In it, Touko interacts with Mikiya in a way that rings true and considers the future and a sense of response to what happened to her in that narrative. I find it haunting and thought-provoking in a way that makes it worth rereading and possibly incorporating into one's personal headcanon. It is short but not frustratingly so. I particularly appreciate the light hand with which the author draws very realistic interplay between the characters that feels like show-don't-tell as far as the characters' feelings are concern in a way that feels very genuine and enjoyable to read.

Other Links

Spoiler:

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    I really don't like to review stuff, but I refuse to let these erotic pieces fall into obscurity.

arashi is hogging the top 5 as it is

+1 to the following:

Story Name: Made to Break
    Author: Prix of Heroes
    Synopsis: [Provided by Prix of Heroes] Aozaki Touko, Kokutou Mikiya. Kara no Kyoukai. Several thousand words during which Touko takes Mikiya's virginity. Lemon.
    Link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...-Kyoukai-lemon
    Review: Truth in advertising, especially for a rare pairing in the KnK fandom. Despite the title giving off darker vibes, the content is actually the opposite if not too sweet in its development. No it's not fluffy, but its definitely sensual in every sense of the word. Coupled with the author's attention to detail in prose, even if the pacing takes a bit to dive into what its for, it all flows well without making the wait unbearable. I really liked it for giving Touko a more emotional- if not primal- need to character. A definitive recommendation for a tiny diamond in the desert.

Story Name: Fear in the Dark
    Author: Prix of Heroes
    Synopsis: [Provided by Prix of Heroes] Kokutou Mikiya, Aozaki Touko. Kara no Kyoukai. The sex saga continues. Sequel to Made to Break.
    Link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...ara-no-Kyoukai
    Review: The long awaited continuation by popular demand! (you dun gud Leo). Yes, a direct sequel following from Made to Break sees Touko and Mikiya's relationship develop further. If the first installment felt a bit more slow, then don't worry, as the pacing now ramps up (heh) without the prose suffering a dent. The relationship between the pair grows as the view focuses more on Mikiya than it did for Touko last time. Whether intentional or not, the contrast of focus balances the scales. It contrasts the two's perception of time in a certain sense. Retaining the same quality as before, its an enrichening read well worth your time. A prayer for further installments.

Story Name: A Change of Pace
    Author: Five_X
    Synopsis: Medb drags her Master along to buy new clothes. Giving into her demands, he quickly finds himself between a boxed-in-space and a sultry Medb.
    Link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...8Medb-lemon%29
    Review: Unsurprising considering the character, it's a Medb lemon. With due respect to her servant-class, the plot runs from point A to point B in content. And boy what a ride it is; Store Changing-Room sex is second to the highest level of public indecency (first is Elevator sex). A public shame paid for by the end, but hey, its definitely worth it. The pacing doesn't squander at all as even it seems it wants to get into the action straight ahead. The prose itself sparking the already innate tension of the setting with the succinct dialogue and body language. Speaking of setting, despite featuring a character from Fate/Grand Order, it takes place in everyday society. So for those looking for erotic content without prerequisite knowledge of the main setting, this is just for you.

Story Name: Corrupted Holy Maiden's Holy Night of Corrupted Holies
    Author: ItsaRandomUsername
    Synopsis: [Provided by ItsaRandomUsername] Jeanne D'Arc Alter has the holiday blahs, and it's up to you to try to snap her out of her funk.
    Link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...d-Holies-lemon
    FFN Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1225200...rrupted-Holies
    Review: Another Fate/Grand Order fic, this time it takes place in its main setting. Directly inspired by the 2016 Christmas' event CE Holy Night Supper artwork, the fic features Jeanne Alter. The viewpoint is presented in 2nd Person and told with a humorous narrative. For content, its wet and sloppy considering the amount of alcohol consumed. It also has some fetishes in the mix (hah). All in all, it works and is further enhanced by the double dosage of endorphins to your brain if you want to get into the science of it. As a D'arcness fan, it was a guaranteed read. While some of it was not my thing, it was definitely a good time for what its worth.
    Last edited by Raylen Cypher; December 2nd, 2016 at 12:47 AM.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Blog Entries
    I need to stop being given credit for not writing
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?