Page 102 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2529297100101102103104107 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2197

Thread: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    I think Mysterio is fantastic. Love how his illusion portrayed here.

The montage where these villains are involved in the other movies feels like those canon compliant fanfics, it makes me chuckle realizing that.

I think the first act up to the 'kill Brad' scene is not very well executed. Those part where Fury/Talos being unnecessarily dickish feels OOC, which I later find out that he was Talos all along, but the feeling it doesn't 'feels right' bug me throughout the movie. I think I liked Homecoming better, but this movie still up there.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Mary Jane's in the movie though. And the last one. She's just April Ludgate from Parks and Rec now.

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Jean was one of my first waifus, so I have a strong image of her looks, demeanor, etc which Sophie doesn't fit
    I understand that.

I can't really see anyone other than AnnaSophia Robb as Terra as a result of the TT animated series anymore either. Same reason as you.

Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    MCU MJ reminds me of Ultimate Gwen, the only spidey waifu outside of black cat that I’ve ever liked so thats good.

as for spidey ffh:
    Spoiler:
    Gyllenhaal as Mysterio was awesome. I always loved the character and I feel like they really did him justice. I hope he survived if theyre building up towards Sinister Six.

My complaint about not enough Spider sense in MCU was perfectly addressed by treating it as a shounen ass powerup to defeat Mysterio. The action scenes were awesome and really spidermanish, and Mysterios first illusion attack on Spidey was really cool with how he kept running into walls, floor, etc.

Also loved how the trailers all put huge focus on the multiverse and had people speculating all kinds of crazy shit, then Quentin in the movie just laughs at people buying stupid shit like that. Nice little meta gotcha moment.

As for the negatives, not sure how I feel about spidey getting unmasked, being a masked crime fighter is such a crucial part of spideys identity. Fury and hill being skrull impersonators was a fuck you kick in the dick, hated it a lot. Peter having access to killer drones from space and lmost killing his classmate for cuckng him was also dumb AF.

imo all in all better than Homecoming.
    You know, if they wanted another love interest for Peter, couldn't they find a different one rather than create a bad composite? Or at least find an actual redhead instead...

I am now hoping Sony pulls the plug on Movie 3 and takes Peter back to the SUMC, preferably with a good director around.

There's no Spiderman without either a redheaded Mary Jane or blonde Gwen Stacy. No exceptions.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    If you reread Classic X-Men, you'll see the Logan-Jean stuff was there from the very beginning (literally issue #1).
    Huh. I'll be damned, so it was.
    Also, boy did Claremont improve with time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post

I understand that.

I can't really see anyone other than AnnaSophia Robb as Terra as a result of the TT animated series anymore either. Same reason as you.

You know, if they wanted another love interest for Peter, couldn't they find a different one rather than create a bad composite? Or at least find an actual redhead instead...

I am now hoping Sony pulls the plug on Movie 3 and takes Peter back to the SUMC, preferably with a good director around.

There's no Spiderman without either a redheaded Mary Jane or blonde Gwen Stacy. No exceptions.
    Five awful movies isn’t exactly an inspiring track record for Sony and Spiderman, who the fuck wants to see more of that

Hey now, Raimi's first two movies were good, particularly the first one!

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Spoiler:
    What I liked about this movie was how Mysterio and his posse of disgruntled former Stark employees were basically making a Marvel film. Erring on meta, fun and relatable, and also helped to make Mysterio a compelling baddie.

As a dude with a Mysterio canvas on his wall, I'm pleased with the Night Monkey origin film.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoiler:
    Since they got J.K. to do J.J.J. again, albeit maybe as just a cameo???, who's the actor that played another role in different Marvel-property films you'd like to see reprise their role in the MCU. I'd be down for an older Professor X if/when they wanna include X-Men stuff.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Five awful movies isn’t exactly an inspiring track record for Sony and Spiderman, who the fuck wants to see more of that
    r/raimimemes

Look for yourself.

I'm not a MCU shill who worships them trying to turn heroes into action comedy... because I don't like comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

Also, the third was not bad, but it was definitely more average. The main issue with the first reboot was that it was hastily made and I still preferred the chemistry between Peter and Gwen than whatever Peter currently is doing.

Also, the third one was apparently also rushed. The only reason that trilogy did not continue was because Raimi was busy and Sony wasn't going to let their rights expire.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Spoiler:
    What I liked about this movie was how Mysterio and his posse of disgruntled former Stark employees were basically making a Marvel film. Erring on meta, fun and relatable, and also helped to make Mysterio a compelling baddie.

As a dude with a Mysterio canvas on his wall, I'm pleased with the Night Monkey origin film.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoiler:
    Since they got J.K. to do J.J.J. again, albeit maybe as just a cameo???, who's the actor that played another role in different Marvel-property films you'd like to see reprise their role in the MCU. I'd be down for an older Professor X if/when they wanna include X-Men stuff.
    Hell no! There's no X-Men without Fassneto and Charles McAvoy!

Blog Entries
    All the Raimi movies were bad movies and worse Spider-Man movies, even the first two. But I guess if your bizarre position is that you want a bland, humorless Spider-Man then yeah, they were the movies for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as for Mary Jane’s character and chemistry with Peter in those movies I will concede that she did have red hair.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; July 9th, 2019 at 08:22 PM.

I'm not a MCU shill who worships them trying to turn heroes into action comedy... because I don't like comedy.
    Then you must also not like the Raimi trilogy because those movies were goofy af.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    I don't care if it doesn't make sense. I don't have any intent of making it make sense.

Blog Entries
    Maybe he just doesn’t like on-purpose comedy

All the Raimi movies were bad movies and worse Spider-Man movies, even the first two. But I guess if your bizarre position is that you want a bland, humorless Spider-Man then yeah, they were the movies for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as for Mary Jane’s character and chemistry with Peter in those movies I will concede that she did have red hair.
    Oh, no, Mary Jane's character was, in a lot of ways, a travesty. But yeah, even if his Spidey didn't joke as much as I'd like, Maguire's portrayal was perfect, the writing was on-point, and as much as Keaton knocked it out of the park with his Vulture, Dafoe's Osborn was just magnificent.

Blog Entries
    Just finished watching the movie. It started really slow. Like realllllly slow. Like debating leaving the theatre slow. But half an hour or so in it finally found the gas pedal and was pretty great therafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Irony. She was the worst love interest out of the ones he'd had up until then.

I was referring to Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy. The one who acted like Gwen Stacy actually would.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative Ice View Post
    Then you must also not like the Raimi trilogy because those movies were goofy af.
    They were terribly toony at times, but at least I got what I wanted: an origin story fueled by drama rather than a looming movie series propping it up.

The MCU Spider-Man series not only has destroyed the recognizable cast I'm used to. It has also removed staple characters all together and any semblance of serious high stakes that fall squarely and solely on Peter. Those threats are apparently limited to Avengers movies.

Now, if the MCU did a 180 and introduces Mary Jane, Gwen, Harry Osborne (Norman optional), Venom (apparently, Feige said it's up to Sony, not them), mention what happened to Uncle Ben and that it hit Peter even worse than losing Tony (and that his response to Tony's death was simply the old wounds being torn open again) and shoves Zendaya, crappy Flash, Ned and every Avengers/Shield idiot in a closet to be seen only when the movie's almost over, then yes, the third movie might hook me in.

The bolded, however, have a single track interpretation and variation is NOT PERMITTED! The traditional Spider-lore is simply non-negotiable.

No more Nick Fury. No more Skrulls. No more MJ Jones. No more techno-suits. It's Peter vs the Sinister Six, with the shadow of Oscorp looming in the background, his friendship with Harry being new and shaky, his weird entanglement with either the wishy-washy lass Mary Jane or the smart and cooperative Gwen, and New York's fate at stake with no tactical suits of any kind: just his old plain suit and webs... and Manhattan, because the "skyscraper swing ending" is yet another "mandatory scene" that can't be forsaken.

Then again, my movie opinions are weird. I hope Avatar remains the king of cinema and James Cameron gets away with his mean spirited "Avengers fatigue" comment. He deserves to shoot fans down since he earned the privilege to do so. I also preferred the Paramount MCU, down to liking TDW better than Ragnarok and strongly preferring the DCEU up until JL messed it all up and Shazam, which just turned things into a comedy. I prefer the XCU over a potential X-Men MCU. I liked Apocalypse more than Black Panther. Didn't think Dark Phoenix was bad (but left a lot to be desired), liked Deadpool but not as much, consider Fassbender a priority over Reynolds (as in the guy doesn't get recast if Ryan Reynolds doesn't. If he leaves, then so does Reynolds) and despise most of the recent Disney slate with a couple exceptions and feel Disney per se should get regulator'd to Transformers era size.

Essentially, I dislike comedy. Strongly prefer drama and thrill and am more invested into characters that feel shaky. I don't like to laugh in a cinema (unless it's from the ridiculousness of an scene, like SP3).

And I kind of miss the "Turtletaub/Bruckheimer" era of Disney when things like National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron: Legacy and the Sorcerer's Apprentice were standard Disney fare.

Also, bow to your cinema god, James Cameron. May the sun never set on his reign!

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    For me, I'd say particularly the second, but they're definitely really solid films either way. The lack of quippy Spider-man drags it down but I think it understands the character much better than the other two series, and I'm actually glad it wasn't part of the MCU as it allowed the character to stand on its own. I really need to see 3 again to properly judge, though there were a lot of creative decisions I didn't like (particularly caused by Venom being forced into the film).

TAMS 1 was also enjoyable with good Peter/Gwen chemistry and more jokes, and the action scenes were really good, particularly the way Spider-man fought. TASM2 was pretty poorly handled (and apparently quite rushed).

Conversely the MCU version of Spider-man really doesn't understand the character well. He was originally conceived as a teen hero who was not a sidekick, so having him surrounded by all of these experienced heroes and learning from them really doesn't fit (even with Iron Man's death, there's still Fury and Shield hanging around him). Iron Man's death has had a much more noticeable effect on Peter than Uncle Ben's. Fun fact - Far From Home takes places 8 months after Iron man's death, and Homecoming takes place 8 month's after Uncle Ben's death - but he acts completely differently in both. And for MCU Peter, most of his humour is just pop-culture references, which isn't a particularly big step up from not having humour.

Having Ganke-Ned do tech stuff for him also really mitigated Peter's intelligent side, though I'm glad that has stopped happening.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I will say MCU Spider-Man needs a lot of work done on his quips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    I’ve decided I like that they wholesale replaced Uncle Ben with Tony since the emotional buildup over so many movies means we’re right there with Peter dealing with his death, because let’s face it any time Uncle Ben shows up everybody knows he’s just a checkmark in the standard Spider-Man origin story, dead man walking, give your responsibility line and get out old man

Literally nobody is capable of caring about an uncle ben and if you say you do you’re a liar

I cared about uncle Ben in the toby spiderman

I agree now it'd just be a checkmark, like batman's parents

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    I cared about uncle Ben in the toby spiderman

I agree now it'd just be a checkmark, like batman's parents
    This is probably true sadly.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Irony. She was the worst love interest out of the ones he'd had up until then.

I was referring to Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy. The one who acted like Gwen Stacy actually would.

They were terribly toony at times, but at least I got what I wanted: an origin story fueled by drama rather than a looming movie series propping it up.

The MCU Spider-Man series not only has destroyed the recognizable cast I'm used to. It has also removed staple characters all together and any semblance of serious high stakes that fall squarely and solely on Peter. Those threats are apparently limited to Avengers movies.

Now, if the MCU did a 180 and introduces Mary Jane, Gwen, Harry Osborne (Norman optional), Venom (apparently, Feige said it's up to Sony, not them), mention what happened to Uncle Ben and that it hit Peter even worse than losing Tony (and that his response to Tony's death was simply the old wounds being torn open again) and shoves Zendaya, crappy Flash, Ned and every Avengers/Shield idiot in a closet to be seen only when the movie's almost over, then yes, the third movie might hook me in.

The bolded, however, have a single track interpretation and variation is NOT PERMITTED! The traditional Spider-lore is simply non-negotiable.

No more Nick Fury. No more Skrulls. No more MJ Jones. No more techno-suits. It's Peter vs the Sinister Six, with the shadow of Oscorp looming in the background, his friendship with Harry being new and shaky, his weird entanglement with either the wishy-washy lass Mary Jane or the smart and cooperative Gwen, and New York's fate at stake with no tactical suits of any kind: just his old plain suit and webs... and Manhattan, because the "skyscraper swing ending" is yet another "mandatory scene" that can't be forsaken.

Then again, my movie opinions are weird. I hope Avatar remains the king of cinema and James Cameron gets away with his mean spirited "Avengers fatigue" comment. He deserves to shoot fans down since he earned the privilege to do so. I also preferred the Paramount MCU, down to liking TDW better than Ragnarok and strongly preferring the DCEU up until JL messed it all up and Shazam, which just turned things into a comedy. I prefer the XCU over a potential X-Men MCU. I liked Apocalypse more than Black Panther. Didn't think Dark Phoenix was bad (but left a lot to be desired), liked Deadpool but not as much, consider Fassbender a priority over Reynolds (as in the guy doesn't get recast if Ryan Reynolds doesn't. If he leaves, then so does Reynolds) and despise most of the recent Disney slate with a couple exceptions and feel Disney per se should get regulator'd to Transformers era size.

Essentially, I dislike comedy. Strongly prefer drama and thrill and am more invested into characters that feel shaky. I don't like to laugh in a cinema (unless it's from the ridiculousness of an scene, like SP3).

And I kind of miss the "Turtletaub/Bruckheimer" era of Disney when things like National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron: Legacy and the Sorcerer's Apprentice were standard Disney fare.

Also, bow to your cinema god, James Cameron. May the sun never set on his reign!
    I think insisting on "mandatory scenes" that need to be followed to the letter is what makes some superhero remakes so boring. The only reason to even bother with a remake is if you're trying to do something new and original with the character(s). That's why I liked that the MCU Spider-Man movies were set after Uncle Ben's death and didn't reference him except by having Peter vaguely quote his "with great power comes great responsibility" motto to Stark in Civil War (and even then, it was clearly Peter giving his own take on that philosophy, not a direct quote). We've seen so many Spider-Man movies and comics exploring various permutations of the "Uncle Ben" storyline that it's refreshing to have one that just treats it as given and tries to do something new.

Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy was super cute and pretty much perfectly managed to capture how her character looked and acted in the comics. That said, her chemistry with Peter (at least in the first movie, I wasn't impressed enough to watch the second one) was honestly not that great. They kissed a whole bunch and exchanged some mildly cute banter and that was it. I'm not saying Peter and Liz/MJ from the MCU continuity have great chemistry either, but at least those relationships didn't eat up tons of screentime in comparison. (Again, speaking only of Homecoming. Haven't watched Far From Home yet, though I'm definitely planning to).

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

How does this work? All these movies are comedies, except Tron.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.