Thread: The RP Rulebook Construction/Repository Thread [READ MASTER POST FIRST]

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb The RP Rulebook Construction/Repository Thread [READ MASTER POST FIRST]

This is where concepts from the Ideas thread can be put into practice. Building an RP rulebook by oneself is a harrowing task, and as such, it's well past time we make it easier for aspiring GMs to make new games.

This thread is not for the RP concepts; those can go into the Ideas and Discussion Thread. This one is for the actual work. What gets posted here should be actual RP rulebooks, or at least pieces of them.

Rules for Submission:
    There are no requirements in regards to submitting a rulebook. It doesn't have to be complete, nor does it have to be new. If an old RP Rulebook is sitting around unused after a game died, this is where you can put it if you think you might want someone to revive it.

If you have an idea that you've already started working on but aren't nearly finished and you think you'd like some help, you can submit your rulebook fragment as well.

Ideally, your rulebook will be composed in a Google doc, and if you post it here, you should leave it set so that anyone with the link has editing privileges. This of course, means that some alternative security measures must be taken in order to ensure that no content is lost.

Rules for Construction:
    The meat and potatoes of this project. Also the part with the most requirements.

Adding content to any RP that has been submitted here does not require permission, that being granted implicitly upon its submission. However, if you plan on deleting anything of significance (spec. anything other than correcting a minor spelling/grammatical error), you must copy and paste the rulebook into a new document, and make a Version History, so to speak. As this project's moderator, I will be playing a part in this as well, and will keep separate read-only versions of each edition just in case of any accidents. These copies will be prepared within 24 hours of your submission.

IMPORTANT: Editing anything requires that you explicitly state you're doing so in this thread. Not in the Ideas Thread, and not in the IRC.

If you make a new doc because you decided to delete something, you must provide a link to the new file, the same read & write privileges apply.

Version Histories will be listed as the RP's title with a number next to it, as well as the name of last person to have made changes written in Size 1.

eg. Eldritch Whispers: The Mythos (v1.0) Draconic

Ignoring the above rules is strictly prohibited. Content preservation is of paramount importance so that people can feel safe in the knowledge that their work will be protected here.

All rulebooks that get submitted will be placed here in the Index Post, to follow.

Rules for Hosting:
    If you submit a rulebook here, you are effectively putting it into the public domain such that anyone can run the game. However, if you decide to run it, you must either be sure you are sufficiently familiar with the story, or otherwise have your own story prepared. If it's a game based on an existing game/anime series, you must have a strong understanding of the world that series takes place in. That's about all.

The Index:
    The Index will contain a number of different categories. When you submit a rulebook or rulebook fragment to the repository, you should make a point to say which category you want it to be placed within.

These categories are as follows:

Open Source Construction:
    A category in which anyone may contribute to the rulebook.

Developer's Game:
    This category is for games that a GM developer intends to host themselves. Anyone may contribute to the construction of these RPs, but games in this category may not be hosted by anyone other than the GM until such a time as they give their permission.
    Keep in mind that requesting your game be placed here implies that you plan on hosting it once the rulebook is finished.

Alternatively, if the RP dies, it will be moved to The Completed Rulebook Repository (see below). An RP on this thread will be considered dead if it goes a full year without a post, or is officially declared so by either the GM, or all the players.
    In such cases, the RP may be revived by other people, but players who were in the game the first time around are requested not to apply again if they weren't posting.

Closed Collaboration:
    Games here are made by a closed circle of people. Such rulebooks should generally be set such that only specific email addresses are allowed to edit.

The Completed Rulebook Repository:
    This is, of course, where completed rulebooks go. Keep in mind that requesting your game be placed here implies that you plan on hosting it once the rulebook is finished. Games that may be hosted by anyone get placed here.

Please note that any edits you make to a game already in this category must be done in a new document.

Recycled Rulebooks:
    As one might surmise, this is where old RP rulebooks are logged, should a GM choose to submit one.

Okay. That covers just about everything.

Let's get started.
    Last edited by Draconic; March 6th, 2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added Recycled Rulebooks heading

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

The RP Rulebook Construction/Repository Index

Open Source Construction:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Dark
    Contains spoilers for Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and Trails of Cold Steel I & II
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Dark RP first look Draconic 1.0

Kingdom Hearts - Academy
    Might end up working better as a Roll20 RP if anyone knows how to facilitate that.
    Kingdom Hearts - Academy, first look Draconic 1.0
    Kingdom Hearts - Academy, Perks and Commands (the whole thing's a mess) Draconic 0.1

A Grail War premise by Drac

Developer's Game:

As-yet Unnamed Metroid game

Pokémon Mystery Universe

Closed Collaboration:

The Completed Rulebook Repository:

Recycled Rulebooks:
    Last edited by Draconic; March 23rd, 2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added Pokémon Mystery Universe

Blog Entries
    isn't this something that RP ideas and discussion already covers

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'll admit it's a similar concept, but in the end, what I was going for here was something that was both more technical while remaining user-friendly. There's no master post in the Discussion thread, and I thought that maybe if there were a way to access everything, there might be more incentive to work on things.

I also hope that it'll make collaboration easier as well. I'll be moderating the archive and keeping everything organized so that people can just go to the game they want to take a shot at and make some new content.

I don't intend for this to be used for RP discussion, and would prefer such topics happen there. My aim was actually to try and revive that thread. It's still the one for the talking about ideas. There haven't been many of those lately. The last page in particular just looks like something you might find in the #regalia IRC. This thread is for the practical application once a person actually has some content. They can put it here even if it's unfinished, or flawed. And anyone who wants to help will be able to do so easily.
    Last edited by Draconic; February 13th, 2018 at 04:31 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Dark RP first look

This might end up working better as a Roll20 RP if anyone knows how to facilitate that.
    Kingdom Hearts - Academy, first look
    Kingdom Hearts - Academy, Perks and Commands (the whole thing's a mess)

- - - Updated - - -

Added first fragments of Kingdom Hearts - Academy, and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Dark to the Open Source Construction folder.
    Last edited by Draconic; February 23rd, 2018 at 02:31 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm only now realizing that the master posts are incomplete. I should fix that.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I once got halfway with an idea for a Persona RP. The combat/abilities section was a bit of a mess and the rest of it was too familiar to Airen's XBLAZE.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Similar or not, I think you should post a link to the doc. If you want it as your own RP to run eventually and don't want it open source, I have taken on the job of facilitating that.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fate/Magna Arcanum (possible RP storyline premise only)

Metroid fragment of some sort. Barely qualifies as a start
    Metroid topic likely not yet worthy of mention, but... it couldn't hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Appended Recycled Rulebooks to the Master Post and Recycled Rulebooks folder to the Index.

Added Fate/Magna premise to Open Source Construction folder and Metroid fragment to Developer's Game folder.
    Last edited by Draconic; March 23rd, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Pokémon Mystery Universe: Secrets of the Lost Isles
    99% complete. I just can't help bet feel that something's missing though. I can't put my finger on it, which irritates me.

- - - Updated - - -

Added Pokémon Mystery Universe to Developer's Game folder.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    If you want to run a pokemon rp why wouldn't you just run an rp section and then run combat through any one of the million pokemon clients online
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Just use showdown or something, yeah

- - - Updated - - -

Leo beat me to it in the other thread, prompting me to echo Katie: this thread feels a little extraneous
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'