Page 252 of 302 FirstFirst ... 152202242247250251252253254257262 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, I know I've +1'd it already, but Bloble's Tomb of the Sun God is too awesome to not merit more.

It has the initial toughness to overcome of being completely about original characters, but Bloble wastes no time getting the reader oriented with the Scribe, the main character himself, and who he is - while at the same time effortlessly planting the story itself within the Nasuverse, making it seem like an only natural extension of the world of Fate/stay night as a whole.

I'll admit that it does take some time to introduce more major characters, and this puts perhaps too much strain on the main character's ability to hold interest; however, once more characters are slid into the plot, both major and minor, the narrative really starts coming alive, and Bloble seems to have no problems whatsoever managing each character as their own unique entity in the narrative. Each character comes into the story at an appropriate time, and the interactions between the people that make up the story is fantastic. I'll reiterate this: every character is unique and full of their own zest and, well, character, and at no point does the cast or the plot seem bloated or unwieldy. Bloble wields his characters well as agents of the plot and organic and intriguing people, knowing what each should say in any given situation, which all adds up to make them feel especially real and relatable.

That might make you think that the story could see things start to decay in cases where there aren't a whole lot of characters to interact, but especially in recent chapters, Bloble shows that just isn't true. Even with just the power of the protagonist's inner monologue and the narrative itself, Bloble keeps the reader's interest in an intense and enjoyable reading experience that consistently makes you want to see what happens next. It's easily one of those stories I can't wait to see more of, and its generally great storytelling is at the same time approachable and appreciable. It doesn't pander to a stereotypical fanfic audience, and has professionally appreciable prose all around. His characters' conversations are clever and interesting yet easy to follow nonetheless, and his action is as intense and vivid and thrilling as any film. Extra attention, in fact, can be given to the style of action adventure Bloble uses; it's an interesting mix of a character piece and classic, subtly Lovecraftian horror, except without cluttered, overtly verbose prose to weigh it down. He emphasizes and capitalizes on the kind of fear of the unknown, the idea of powerlessness, that ultimately defined Lovecraft's work, but with genuine sympathy for the protagonists and an honest curiosity, every step of the way, as to whether they'll survive... or not.

All in all, Tomb of the Sun God is a knockout piece of fiction, and I'll always want Bloble to write more of it. I would buy Ziploc bags of Tomb of the Sun God and escape into a darkened alley, just to slowly smoke it to get my fix. And all that would be seen as the spark of my lighter ignited the fresh, herbal prose of Tomb of the Sun God would be my face, my eyes transfixed as I contemplate what might happen next.

This is the best addiction you can have, as far as stories go. If you have any spare time, go ahead and catch up, read Tomb of the Sun God, and I assure you, this is something you won't regret.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    idk how bloble became so good, like 1-2 years ago i thought we were on the same level and then he just kind of explodes
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    It's exceedingly belated, but I would like to +1 both Bloble's Tomb of the Sun God and Lancer Gets Serious.

TotSG is, to be perfectly honest, an absolute joy to read and to beta, and anything which expands the Nasuverse beyond the locational and historical horizons of the present-day Japanese milieu we've become so familiar with is worth all the support it can get. I don't know if I would smoke it to get my fix, but - different strokes, as they say.

Lancer Gets Serious is plainly and simply one of the best HF5 AUs out there. It's twisty and turny like all Grail Wars should be, and when there's a fight scene there's sure as fucking hell a fight scene. LGS is the reason I started writing fanfiction at all. Never stop, Broble.
    Last edited by Dullahan; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

LGS is both finished and unfinished, a sort of literary quantum superposition.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was finished? I remember the ending.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Bloble said that there was more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Bloble said that there was more.
    I've always half-suspected he was trolling.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    idk how bloble became so good, like 1-2 years ago i thought we were on the same level and then he just kind of explodes
    He kept writing fics, unlike you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    He kept writing fics, unlike you.
    He also started a training schedule of 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 squats and running 10 km every day. He's now a super-strong writer, but became bald in the process.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    He also drank plenty of juice.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors shiningphoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    He also started a training schedule of 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 squats and running 10 km every day. He's now a super-strong writer, but became bald in the process.
    I guess he just hasn't updated his avatar since then, because it still has hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    two drinks and an aphrodisiac away from assaulting an appropriately shaped piece of furniture?
    "What does 'masturbate' mean? 'cause it's pretty obviously not a real word."

Blog Entries
    these onepunchman allusions
    they please me
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    I guess he just hasn't updated his avatar since then, because it still has hair.
    That's actually just his cyborg buddy.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    He also drank plenty of juice.
    If drinking plenty of juice improved one's writing skills I'd be Shakespeare or Dostoevsky by now.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    If drinking plenty of juice improved one's writing skills I'd be Shakespeare or Dostoevsky by now.
    Hey now. I request you stop, cease, and desist such trains of self-deprecating thought. Please.
    It's my job to have those trains of thought.
    'kay?
    Last edited by Lycodrake; May 2nd, 2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: super serious comment for a second - silly me
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    you think rum works?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's made from sugarcane juice, right? So I guess that counts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    you think rum works?
    Yes.
    I figure if I got drunk every time I wanted to write but had a writer's block, I'd be pouring a Harry Potter-length series of works by now.
    Now, what the quality of such works would be like, that's a different issue.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Well, alcohol is a kind of fuel.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    +1 to Fate EMIYA.

The descriptions of the war zones and combat Shirou throws himself into are gripping and visceral. The relationships between the characters, especially as they begin to fray and fracture are some of the strongest draws of this story, alongside Shirou himself. Every character has a purpose, and serve to show Shirou's development as he strives to follow his ideal.

Most of all though is how the story shows and advances his development into EMIYA - from moments of weakness he curses to casualty after unintended casualty he causes to the bridges he burns for his sole motivation that all culminate in his inevitable enslavement. Augustine/darkeldar does an exceptional job of showing Shirou's naive joy in saving people and the brief happiness he receives bear the ever-increasing sorrows of his lost relationships and the lives he takes.

Fate EMIYA is definitely worth a read, even if there is only one possible conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3