View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 140 of 242 FirstFirst ... 4090130135138139140141142145150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    The 5e Basic rules are free at least.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I think I'd have room. I'd aim for 3-5 players, and it would be 5th Ed. I also originally started as a DM and right now have roughly equal experience as DM and player.

Mac, would you be interested?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Different game than Sesto's or suggestions for them? If the former, I'd like to join if possible.
    Last edited by Trubo; February 9th, 2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Making a different game for BLers, if that's more convenient for Sesto/he wants to be a player.

I'm also fine if that's not needed though

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I think I'd have room. I'd aim for 3-5 players, and it would be 5th Ed. I also originally started as a DM and right now have roughly equal experience as DM and player.

Mac, would you be interested?
    Thanks for the invite, but I'll always be a GM at heart. I barely ever play, with a few exceptions.

I'd be interested in spectating though, depending on timezone and free time. It's fun to see other GMs at work.

I'm sure you can find a bunch of other people who'll be up for playing though around here.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Like me, for example. ^_^
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    The 5e Basic rules are free at least.
    Basic Rules + SRD are all free and cover most of it.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Only thing I don't like about the basic rules and srd is the lack of backgrounds.

That aside, finally finished getting a wizard made. Kept restarting because couldn't decide on class/race, then remembered some new books had come out since I last did this. Now for a Kobold character, then a fighter or paladin.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    But backgrounds are mostly flavour benefits, not crunch. Should be easy to come up with some as needed.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    But backgrounds are mostly flavour benefits, not crunch. Should be easy to come up with some as needed.
    Tell that to the minmaxers always picking Sailor for the free Perception proficiency.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Hm, I stand corrected!

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post
    Tell that to the minmaxers always picking Sailor for the free Perception proficiency.
    The funny thing is, the official rules say that you can pick any skills you want, not even as a variant.

I definitely allow that because I'd rather people not feel like they should pick a background for a certain skill.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Was about to say something something Adventurer's League requiring premade backgrounds but nope.

Can I Make A Custom Background?

A: Yep. You can create a custom background for your character by following the rules on pages 125–126 of the PHB, with the following guidance:

Exotic Languages.
    Characters may choose exotic languages from any Allowed Rules Source, even if that rules source was not used to create that character (i.e., a character created using the PHB and VGtM may still choose a language from the SCAG).

Druidic, thieves’ cant, monstrous languages (like Giant Eagle or Qualith) and other languages that are features of a class or background are not eligible choices for this purpose.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Yeap. The silly thing is, you can use these rules to just add an extra language/tool proficiency to the Haunted One background, but that's because for some reason they decided to make exotic language proficiency worth two languages despite the fact that 'any one language' can also include exotic languages.

A++ design

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    You sure about that? The PHB specifically says to pick from standard languages, with exotic being DM permission, in the language section. Huh, learned something new today. Makes good sense though.

Also any more thoughts on your game?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Oh yeah, that part isn't default. But the PHB puts forward the idea of taking exotic languages while the Haunted One adds a mechanical cost to it without actually explaining. So it's an easy thing for DMs to miss, and came up in our group.

Personally, in my games I'd give Haunted One a free tool proficiency. I like the idea of being less strict with the languages, otherwise many of the exotic languages never come up.
    Last edited by Saiga; February 14th, 2018 at 05:04 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I actually like the idea of them being rarer. It makes sense that every PC isn't going to know all these bizarre languages from otherworldly beings. Really takes away from the sense of place the languages have in the world. Finding something written in an exotic language should be an event unto itself. Instead it's "oh it's this thing half of every party happens to have intimate knowledge with... for some reason."

In fact, that's the tack I'm taking from now on.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    It also makes the Linguist feat make a lot more sense.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    That's true, I was thinking that as I was typing it, but... I don't know if I could ever make my players really care about languages beyond 'oh cool, I know how to read that! that's useful!'

I'd still have it be a 'ask the DM' thing, as in, ask me and tell me why you want this language. My Wizard friend's first character was someone who researched demons after his family was killed by a Vrock, so Abyssal definitely makes sense for him.

On my game, I wasn't sure whether to go with a fairly episodic adventure campaign (ie players make characters with a long term goal and have adventurers on the way to their destinations) or something like a homebrewed LMOP with a single hook that makes a low level campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I don't know if I could ever make my players really care about languages beyond 'oh cool, I know how to read that! that's useful!'
    Usually my approach to this matter ngl.