Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Mike Facebook Controversy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Yeah, shockingly enough, I would rather be able to discuss things with people on the forum without having to cover up basic details like where I went to university and what I do. My username is perhaps poorly-chosen, but changing it now would be pointless, and when I first joined I did not expect to be in a position where it would matter (not to mention that I am extremely uncreative).
    Then it is a risk you took, and don't complain if it turns sour.

Anonymity or true information disclosure, choose one.

Shockingly enough, people have brains and access to Internet. After you spew enough information, they can find out who you are.

Again, let this be a painful lesson to you.

I don't understand why the university you went to would be a basic detail. That seems like pretty detailed information, honestly.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not really. There are quite a lot of people who went to Cambridge. Further, it's hard to discuss things like that if you're constantly being evasive.

Anwyay, the point is that I should have the choice about what information I give out. I should not be forced to give out either absolutely nothing or absolutely everything. If I choose to give out information, then fine. If someone uses that to track down my Facebook account, then so be it. But, for them to then post a link to that account elsewhere is just not acceptable, full stop.

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that, in general, saying things on #notes (or elsewhere) is fine. Obvious attempts to bypass the rules by giving out the personal information of other members off-site knowing the likely response is not.
    I think you're assuming a bit too much here about Neir's intent. If he had done it to deliberately provoke you, wouldn't he posted it somewhere you might have seen? I doubt Neir expected that Milbunk would tell.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Neir didn't expect anyone to even care or bother. Actually, I was on there when that happened (AFK, but I took a look at the logs) and nobody gave a fuck until you entered the channel. And once you left everyone returned to not giving a fuck either.

Just my opinion on his intent, really. Only he himself can tell what he was thinking when he posted it.

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Altima has weighed in. He cited much the same concerns, that people have been fired from jobs and such over employers getting a hold of their Facebook profiles, and that once it was spread to two dozen people, basically Mike's profile became at their mercy, and that Neir did not come to us when he was sent it was really the clincher.

Therefore, by a 3-1 vote, the admins have decided that Neir should keep his ban as it was. Ergo, the one-week ban will be upheld for both Neir and Flame.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but Flame is not the one to blame here. He went looking for my account after I challenged him that he couldn't find it. I have no real problem with that (I went looking for Seika's when she found mine, just out of curiosity). I do have a problem with him PMing it to Neir, but I don't see how that is any worse than what Neir did.

Further, I don't see how the fact that Neir found the information out via a PM rather than searching for it himself makes it any better. The problem is not that he found my facebook account, it's that he actively spread it around to other people.

Flame being naturally curious is not something I have an issue with. I am naturally curious, and if someone challenged me to find their facebook account, I'm pretty sure I'd try. The issue is spreading it around to other people without permission.

Whilst my facebook account is more private now, I would prefer not to have to do that. I like the fact that people I actually know are able to find me on there without too much difficulty, and it doesn't contain enough personal information (aside from my name, profile picture and date of birth, which anyone who would care IRL would already know) to be a serious issue. Unfortunately, I didn't consider the possibility that people on here would hunt me down and then publicise the information.
    I honestly can't think how Flame did that lol >_> I mean he has your location and age along with your major, yeah. But you already said Mike isn't your real name >_>. I suppose the trip to Japan coulda helped but you said it was set to slightly private <_<

I mean, I could understand if it was adi (at least then you have more information [Imperial College of London lololololol]) being found but I can't think how people have found yours, Kotonoha's (adi found hers iirc), and other peoples (I know quite a few of them were found but none of them were actually posted publicly) >_>

Well, that's actually without trying/looking. I'm not sure, but if I actually tried I might somehow be able to get more info (actually, yeah, I probably would now that I think of it. As you are on a bunch of sites you must keep your email public on at least one of them. And your email would go a long way lol).

This is just theory crafting not actual consideration. As the only site I know Mike visits is Animesuki and I heard that like, years ago (I actually did once see him there iirc someone linked to a thread and I saw him).

But yeah, I don't think they would really harm you (but that could be an opinion of ignorance as I kinda still think of Neir as when he used to be the pseudo Elder and didn't really care about you).

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I think you're assuming a bit too much here about Neir's intent. If he had done it to deliberately provoke you, wouldn't he posted it somewhere you might have seen? I doubt Neir expected that Milbunk would tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    Neir didn't expect anyone to even care or bother. Actually, I was on there when that happened (AFK, but I took a look at the logs) and nobody gave a fuck until you entered the channel. And once you left everyone returned to not giving a fuck either.

Just my opinion on his intent, really. Only he himself can tell what he was thinking when he posted it.
    I think you need to understand the point the mods were trying to make. They (including Mike in his first post) had stated that they didn't think Neir himself would do much with the information but the problem was publicly posting the information that can endanger him.

^sniped
    Last edited by Cruor; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I think you need to understand the point the mods were trying to make. They (including Mike in his first post) had stated that they didn't think Neir himself would do much with the information but the problem was publicly posting the information that can endanger him.

^sniped
    Wasn't really arguing that point, though. I just saw that his intent was being argued, and pitched in my own opinion.

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

US Friend Code
    For me, intent isn't really important, it's more on the principle of it.

The penalty for crashing into someone while driving drunk and doing it intentionally is nearly the same right?

But Mike, you shouldn't assume that Neir did it maliciously.
    何処に行くの

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not really. There are quite a lot of people who went to Cambridge. Further, it's hard to discuss things like that if you're constantly being evasive.

Anwyay, the point is that I should have the choice about what information I give out. I should not be forced to give out either absolutely nothing or absolutely everything. If I choose to give out information, then fine. If someone uses that to track down my Facebook account, then so be it. But, for them to then post a link to that account elsewhere is just not acceptable, full stop.
    They are posting a link in public domain, which you placed there in the first place.

It was something you chose to place in public, located with information you freely gave out in public.

It's like you can say you did not want to kill someone, but manslaughter is manslaughter. You can say you did not want to share, but you shared, you gave out large amounts of identifiable information permanently recorded in this forum, and you placed the information there.

If Neir compromised your account and found all this out, then he deserves to be damned. However, he found out all this legally, and the materials he shared are perfectly legal public domain information as well.

You can only blame him from ethics perspective, not legal perspective.

The thing with ethics is that, you may think it is the worst thing ever, others may only find it frown-worthy.

Blog Entries
    Food, I'm fairly sure Mike has never said that Neir broke any law.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ya, but he is villainfying him, while it was just a retarded joke, ultimately spawned by mike's own failure.

You get less sympathy when you make minimal effort safeguarding your privacy.
    Last edited by food; June 24th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Also, on a side note, this is time to mend fence and not driving Neir off the cliff.

With what he has and your posts in this forum, he can destroy your academic career, or at least making the next while miserable.

The fact that he did not do any of that, means it is a joke without malice. Your furious pursuit on this matter, however, may turn a joke into something more serious and malicious.

Mend fences and minimize damage, man. Hopefully all this just blows over.

Edit:

Also, maybe you should start sterilizing your past posts, just to be safe. Talk to the mods about it. I think it is better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by food; June 24th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The fact that he did not do any of that, means it is a joke without malice.
    it doesn't work like that, sorry. absence of an action proves nothing.

it was a dick move regardless at best
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it doesn't work like that, sorry. absence of an action proves nothing.

it was a dick move regardless at best
    Are you that dense?

You don't want to turn "internet dick move" into "messing up your real world job".

You can ban Neir, but he still has the information. And then you make him from feeling bad, to feeling bitter and vengeful, then what? Huh?

He loses Internet account, Mike suffers in real world academia.

Blog Entries
    You don't want to turn "internet dick move" into "messing up your real world job".

You can ban Neir, but he still has the information. And then you make him from feeling bad, to feeling bitter and vengeful, then what? Huh?

He loses Internet account, Mike suffers in real world academia.
    anyone who would actually do such, well they flat out don't deserve to have friends period. might sound harsh but unless they are 12 i expect them to have more integrity than that. you do something wrong then take the slap and walk it off. if you're adult aged and putting someone in real world trouble over some tiff on the internet which was caused by you, frankly leave the internet and seek real help.professional help

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    anyone who would actually do such, well they flat out don't deserve to have friends period. might sound harsh but unless they are 12 i expect them to have more integrity than that. you do something wrong then take the slap and walk it off. if you're adult aged and putting someone in real world trouble over some tiff on the internet which was caused by you, frankly leave the internet and seek real help.professional help
    Sure sure.

That is equivalent to saying absolutely nothing. You can type all that righteous stuff, but it changes nothing.

You are on the Internet, not Sunday Bible School.

Blog Entries
    That is equivalent to saying absolutely nothing. You can type all that righteous stuff, but it changes nothing.
    common sense means nothing huh? interesting stand point food, i'll leave you with your thoughts and go somewhere else, excuse me for believing the users here are more mature then twelve year olds.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    common sense means nothing huh? interesting stand point food, i'll leave you with your thoughts and go somewhere else, excuse me for believing the users here are more mature then twelve year olds.
    Embrace the good on the Internet, but always keep the potential worst in mind.
    Also, always respect the Internet, and never taunt it, for you are nothing against the collective.

That is what I live by on the Internet, not your laughable rules.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Your rhetoric is worth jack and shit.

See this? It's an internet truism. It's why 4chan exists. Fuck, there're known cases of the internet ruining people's lives. It's why you must protect yourself. This is why you don't go out of your way to antagonize the same people that hold your location, name, age and university.
    Last edited by Kyte; June 24th, 2012 at 03:48 AM.