View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 148 of 242 FirstFirst ... 4898138143146147148149150153158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Pffft. The old DC Heroes RPG is much better.
    I can honestly say I've never heard of it, but Exalted is seriously almost tailor-made to play Fate campaigns. Not only is the combat system at just the right "power level" tier for both in and out-of-combat abilities, its lore is also incredibly Nasu-friendly, to the point where you have to wonder just how much inspiration they took from it. I have a short story written in the Exalted style somewhere, let me see if I can dig it up to show what I'm talking about.

edit: here you go
    Spoiler:

Honestly I kinda get tired with D&D as well. It's just, the first thing that comes to mind. I will probably try to GM something else after current campaign. As long as he players agree. And finding some of those systems is hard, outside of those most popular few the rest is kinda obscured. It's the first time I hear about Exalted despite it being right the it the store I get all my stuff from.
    Trapped within my fierce desire, resistance is futile. Screaming for your life, nowhere to hide,
    Tonight we cross the line, your innocence is mine!

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMAN View Post
    Honestly I kinda get tired with D&D as well. It's just, the first thing that comes to mind. I will probably try to GM something else after current campaign. As long as he players agree. And finding some of those systems is hard, outside of those most popular few the rest is kinda obscured. It's the first time I hear about Exalted despite it being right the it the store I get all my stuff from.
    True, D&D reigns supreme, but you can still find game circles for most of White Wolf's stuff, or at least the WoD gameline (VtM, WtF, MtA, and the nWoD lines of the same). Shadowrun is also fairly popular and is in a bit of a resurgence after the Shadowrun Returns games. Depending on how big Warhammer 40k is in your friendly local game shop you might be able to find a Dark Heresy/Deathwatch/Rogue Trader campaign going on. Then there's the stuff that used to be more popular but is in decline now, like L5R, Ars Magica, FATE...

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    So, for a long time I've entertained running more BL games, but the problem I'd always come across is this: I would have a hard time choosing what people to play with since there's so many on my list, or I'd try to run the game multiple times with everyone and then realize that I wouldn't be done it even by next year, which made it impractical. (Though there's one group I still intend to finish.)

I'm going to try a different method this time. Instead of taking one adventure and running it 500 times with different groups, I'll take a page out of BL's way of doing things and just run a game once in a while but cycle through the players. I'm not sure if I'll use some sort of merit system or just see what looks like would be most fun, but for now I just want to ask everyone: who's interested?

It doesn't matter if you never played before; that just makes it more fun. Don't worry about time zones or current schedules. I want to get a general feel for who's out there, in addition to my own personal master list of players. If you're interested at all in potentially being in the mix for this kind of activity, then post here or PM me about it.

For now, I'm going to start with a one-shot that I ran with some other groups. It's an existing module made to be run at cons, and so it's perfect for this: it's made to last about four hours and have a definite conclusion one way or the other. Either you win, or you die and it's all wrapped up. It's a traditional dungeon with all the classics: puzzles, monsters, and traps. What I like about it, personally, is that the traps and other tricks aren't the "oops you stepped on this tile and die instantly" variety but rather thoughtful ones.

MENET-KA'S GRASP

Here's the basic breakdown:
    Spoiler:
    Genre: Dungeon Crawl

Region: Desert

Premise: You are part of the Desert Falcons, a mercenary group in the arid regions of Nuria. Wasif al-Jayib, a rich merchant, has uncovered an ancient Pharaoh's tomb next to the holy Nurian river. He's hired you all to help him plunder it for treasure!

Players: 3-5

Char Gen: Use stat array: [16, 16, 15, 13, 11, 9]

Level: 6

Races: Anything except Bugbear, Drow, and Yuan-Ti Pureblood.

Sources Allowed: Any official WotC sources; no Unearthed Arcana.

Feats: Yes.

Multiclassing: Yes.

Equipment: Ignore anything coming with classes. You buy your own individually with gold. You get what your Background says, though.

Gold: You start with 750gp. Each coin weighs 1/10 of a pound.

New Languages: the language of the local region is Nurian, so it's a language option. However, everyone in the region typically knows Common as well. Exotic languages count as TWO language slots. (ie, Draconic, Abyssal, Primordial, etc.)

Magic Items: You can buy an uncommon magic items for 500gp each, and common ones for 100gp each.

Silvering: 100gp to silver a weapon, or 10 pieces of ammunition.

Encumbrance: Yes. Over 10x your Strength stat in weight = Disadvantage. Over 15x Strength = can't carry any more.
    I want to stress that we're using encumbrance in this. What is "encumbrance"? It means that the weight of the stuff you're carrying matters; you can only carry up to a certain amount before your inventory is full and you are hobbled. It is based on your Strength stat. That means Strength is actually relevant outside being a martial -- it decides how much you can carry, and makes previously ignored spells and abilities useful. Carrying over 10x your Strength in weight will give you Disadvantage, and after 15x your Strength you can't carry any more.

Gold coins weigh 1/10 of a pound each.

If you've never encountered silvered weapons before, the purpose is to harm certain enemies that are immune to normal weapons, like werewolves. So you can spend an extra 100gp to make your weapon silvered, or 10 pieces of your ammunition.

I was asked about extra details, so I made a setting document for character creation here. Go and check it out. I'll be finishing up the last bits of it.

We have already assembled the first group.

Team KT:
    Katie
    Bloble
    Sat
    Ark
    If you have any questions, ask away!
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    [...]
    I'm always down to D&D!
    Last edited by Optimus; May 14th, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Blog Entries
    *See new game recruitment* Tfw work schedule is way too jank. OTL

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Time zone isn't an issue for now; there's plenty of people from all over the place. I just want to see if you have THE WILL.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    I like playing different settings with different GMs, so I can try out different playstyles and classes. I've read the rulebook and the setting looks very fun to play in, leading to many potential (mis)happenings and a chance to make a character that might not fit in as well in my regular groups. One class that popped in my head when I was looking at the rulebook that I have yet to ever try out is definitely Druid, which also sounds extremely fun with all the clergies and deities being very present. I also think it'd be fun to explore what a desert Paladin would be like, which is something which when I think about it is rarely ever seen...
    Last edited by Optimus; May 14th, 2018 at 06:49 PM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I volunteer as a tribute!

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    rip spoony

i mean

good

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I've been editing the doc and adding pictures to it, with Kirby's help. Thanks Kirby.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agaaahhh, I'm tempted since I really am a sucker for Egyptian- and desert-themed settings...
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Hmm, I wouldn't mind being a player once in a while. You can add me as a willing one for now. Just tell me how serious this is going to be, since I tend to do silly characters like Kobold-Barbarian.
    Trapped within my fierce desire, resistance is futile. Screaming for your life, nowhere to hide,
    Tonight we cross the line, your innocence is mine!

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    all these anonymous animals looking at my google doc

I still can't believe I made it in 2 days.

Blog Entries
    By the way, favourite mini everyone?

I am a sucker for armored dudes. I just got this in the mail and I am so darn happy, trying to learn how to paint minis 101 to make better ambientation.

Blog Entries
    what system lol
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    long post of stuff
    Sounds neat, but I think there's one thing you've overlooked. Mithral Armor is considered Uncommon, so a player can purchase Mithral Half-Plate or Plate for less than the normal cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    what system lol
    It looks like D&D 5th edition, given how it uses backgrounds, stat array and other things.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    It's D&D 5e. Look at the google doc.

I guess theoretically games I run in the future don't have to be 5e though. To comment on what canaki said earlier, there's actually a ton of other systems out there and they all have a presence online. Some are even very similar to the pbp systems people make here, diceless and all. D&D is just the big gorilla in the room. FATE, Paranoia, Amber, and Dungeon World are some I like.

Thanks Trubo, it actually came up last night. I decided the adamantine process itself is what is Uncommon, like silvering being 100 gp (the equivalent of a common magic item).

Blog Entries
    D&D 5e is just extremely convenient to use, and it looks like everyone's taking notes from how they streamlined the mechanics while keeping them around. FATE has too much stuff, but I'd love to run once a mecha vs kaiju, and Paranoia is tons tons of fun if you get into the mindset that knowing there is a mission at all is already too much information.