Page 32 of 302 FirstFirst ... 22273031323334374282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Banned
    What do you mean "it's gen, by the way?"

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misheard View Post
    If Not Alexander, Then Diogenes by Megkips
    Official abbreviated summary: The continuing post-series adventures of Waver Velvet, Lord El-Melloi II etc.
    My summary: A study of mage culture, how dismantling the Grail poses a challenge in bureaucracy more than actual magic, how Waver became a total badass in a world of snobs, how he and older Rin became BFFs, some cool OCs, a detailed description and knowledge of the setting while fleshing out the parts that aren't touched on, and a finding aid.

It's gen, by the way.
    What?
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Plant Angel From Venus Misheard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    I'm assuming "general" as in, no pairing, contrary to Misheard's usual favor toward shipping fics.
    Correct. A lot of the Waver fics that I squee over are shippy and I know better than to rec them.

Quote Originally Posted by IhaxlikeNoob View Post
    What?
    Rin's appearances in this series are post-Fate/stay night. Therefore she is older.

Mini Nephthys on Archive of Our Own
    - where my actual good fics live.

Quote Originally Posted by Misheard View Post
    Rin's appearances in this series are post-Fate/stay night. Therefore she is older.
    No, I know about it being post-Grail War, what I was talking about is that Waver HATES the Japanese people, the only thing exempt from it are the video games Japanese game studios produce.

- - - Updated - - -

The fic is incompatible with what we know of Waver post-Fate/Zero.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Plant Angel From Venus Misheard's Avatar
    Personally I think capslock bold italics hates is a bit overblown.

Mini Nephthys on Archive of Our Own
    - where my actual good fics live.

^ Prove to meh! D:<

^^ But it's the only thing that can encapsulate Waver's seething butthurt for the Land of the Rising Sun, all because he took part in a War that women and children shouldn't be in.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to go ahead and second or +1 or whatever 'If Not Alexander'. That was pretty spectacular. A really well done character piece that touched on a lot of things I've wanted to see done in Type Moon fanfiction. Clocktower politics, the dismantling conflict, mercury meido, and Waver being all kinds of Tsun to name a few. I think the whole looking at the setting through the lens of in setting academia was just a great idea. Also, this story managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls retrospectives of the fourth war seem to fall into. Waver is just as ignorant of what was happening as he should have been while Rin's information is limited to before her father's demise as it should be. An excellent story methinks.

Thanks for reccing that, misheard! That was an excellent read.
    Last edited by Kelnish; December 29th, 2012 at 03:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    +1 for 'If Not Alexander' for all the reasons Kelnish stated.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Ilya's Castle by Tobias
    A fun novelization of the Ilya's Castle minigame. It's exciting, funny, and a good time. It's a very straight forward story and totes worth the read. Completed.

Hero of noobies everywhere! captain_n00b's Avatar
    Title: Twisted Elysium
    Author: don't take me seriously
    Genre: Suspense/Drama
    Summary: "Think of it this way, Master. The thought that you may not be the person you thought you were your entire life…it is a very disturbing concept, isn't it?" Fate/Zero AU where the Masters and Servants switch roles.
    Pairing(s): None, as far as I can tell. There's Uryuu x Gilles in more of a sexual way, and a possible Arturia x Diarmuid, but nothing concrete.
    Link: Fanfiction.net
    Warnings: Some stuff was changed, such as the battleground for the HGW, but the author explains all of that in the first chapter before the story even begins. Aside from that, nothing.

Whu it actually worked? I mean how do you like the power of my Gae Bolg you wanton demon!?
    Great, now I have to dig up my copies of Autumn's Call and Scions to put them here just to rec them.

Wait... is someone going to beat Gilgamesh to death using Kon? The hillarity of doing that would be worth paying money to bring about! TAKE MY MONIEZ!

Crud, now I have a ton of stuff that needs to be recced but it doesn't exist since the old forums went down! DAMM YEW PROBOARDS! I hope sae, captain overkill and paean made copies.

*additional edit*

And where the heck are recommendations for TOUEI, Cascade's Takara work! The character interaction, his understanding of and placing an OC not of his own making and the swarm of believabe OC's with great depth of character and lifelike detail make it a must read. I doubt many other fic writers just make up their own city as a character, and even put in backstory for it.

Not only that where's O.Hakubi's Shiki and Arc's Kid. While nobody's gonna give her great props for inventive titling that girl can write a great in depth story. It keeps you guessing, tugs your heart strings, sates one's need for violence on occasion, all while being wrapped around a singularly original character. Come on this one was required reading on BL1 let's see some love for it here.

*Extra edit*

Wow she changed the name to Daughter of Shinigami, that's nice. At least the new Satsuki is getting some title love eh? Downsides of reading a fic through quite so long ago, ya miss stuff.

*Even more edit*

Cause I'm a moron who can't tell one friend from another X_X,

Working with Kieran... hell he did them so well I can just copy and paste them... I've got your summaries for you.

For "Daughter of Shinigami": Satsuki Arima is very much her parents' daughter. She looks like her mother, renowned fashion model Arcueid Brunestud, and has her father's love of knives. And because she's her parents' daughter, when she starts having visions of a vampiric murderer who's killing people, she just has to investigate - if only to prove to herself that she didn't do it.

For "TOUEI": Following the Sixth Holy Grail War, Takara Aozaki heads off to university, where she meets a very strange and stubborn boy named Kira. And as if she needed more irritation than that, the pair soon encounters an enemy that Takara can't kill - and Kira nearly is killed, saving her life. Now the pair of them are indebted to a mysterious magus, who has errands for them to run . . . It's almost enough to make her nostalgic for the Grail War - at least she knew what was going on, then.

We have to get Kieran up and writing before his morning coffee more often. ^_^
    Last edited by MrTags; January 11th, 2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: To put the summaries in
    <mrtags> At least I got to be lancer the space marine, drm got omake'd into the little pink and purple butt plunger
    <DrmChsr0> I have to admit, it was funny.

Don't displease Tiny Turtle

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTags View Post
    Great, now I have to dig up my copies of Autumn's Call and Scions to put them here just to rec them.
    Yeah, it's a shame some of the things we lost in the Great Exodus.

And where the heck are recommendations for Destined Legacies, Cascade's Takara work! The character interaction, his understanding of and placing an OC not of his own making and the swarm of believabe OC's with great depth of character and lifelike detail make it a must read. I doubt many other fic writers just make up their own city as a character, and even put in backstory for it.
    While I fully agree with you as to Cascade's capabilities and the quality of his work, I have to point out that "Destined Legacies" is Hatori's tale. Though granted, it too has Takara in it.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Whu it actually worked? I mean how do you like the power of my Gae Bolg you wanton demon!?
    Yeah, I got it... sux my brain is getting so elderly.

I can probably find Scions on my old hard drive, just gotta go look.

Paean is still around to, so I should be able to get autumn's call.

The best one however, I can't even remember the name of, the one Kalus did. That's just so sad.

>_< I must say however I quickly tire of fighting favoritism in this set of threads.
    Last edited by MrTags; January 4th, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    <mrtags> At least I got to be lancer the space marine, drm got omake'd into the little pink and purple butt plunger
    <DrmChsr0> I have to admit, it was funny.

Don't displease Tiny Turtle

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The best one however, I can't even remember the name of, the one Kalus did. That's just so sad.
    "Shards of a Memory," maybe? That's what my brain keeps coming up with, at least.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

FF.net link.
    If the only response you can think of for something is an overused terrible image with text on it or a beaten to death catchphrase, you should have a sit down and question your direction in life. "Who am I?" "Do I even have my own personality?" and "When did I replace my wit and social interaction skills with a series of shitty .jpg's?" are only a few examples of things you might consider pondering.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A kid of canon characters OC with the name of another canon character?

...I won't say anything about the quality of the work itself, but please don't do that, it lights all my warning lights.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    I know right? First time I read it I actually thought Satsuki was the main star! But that's my fault because I went to the latest chapter and got myself confused.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    @Mr Tags: Please do, I can;t rely on my memory palace for everything.

Not to mention that it is a total BITCH to dig around in my fanfiction index for all the entries.

*glances at Takara* >.>
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.