Page 161 of 782 FirstFirst ... 61111151156159160161162163166171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    Ah I see, care to give any thoughts on it? I actually did some research into various legends on Hikoboshi and mixed em all together, which I think is rather fitting considering that's pretty much what he is. Also I figure his stat boosts make sense since he's rather well known in Japan, they even have a holiday for him after all.
    I liked him myself. Didn't know about the scythe or the unbreakable scarf, so it was a neat bit of trivia for me as well. If I had but two complaints they would be mere nitpicks. 1. Blessing of the Stars is supposed to be a Rank-Up boost, but "+"'s indicate a boost of around double the original value, don't they? That can translate to well above a mere Rank-Up (unless the stat is Rank E, which means even doubled it'd still only be equal to Rank D). 2. You might want to check your grammar and/or spelling. They were a few sentences that sounded kind of weird. I still got the meaning of them, mind you.

This is a bit late, but to SVNB Backup, I don't think Ali is too wanked. If anything I think you made him pretty balanced for someone whose sword is basically the Middle Eastern equivalent of Excalibur!

His sword is only going to break NPs that are at least two Ranks below his, which means Rank C/C+, but how often do we see a Rank C Noble Phantasm that is a wielded weapon? Just knocking aside other NPs isn't that big a deal as it only creates a temporary opening in the enemy's guard.

Shield of the Prophet isn't such a big deal either. It just makes him unkillable if he's acting as a meatshield for his Master while fighting someone more powerful than himself. How often is that going to happen? Most of the Servants who would attack the Master are the kind who are weaker, not stronger. And if someone sees he's unkillable they are just going to haul ass, thus canceling the NP as he is no longer protecting anyone.

Blog Entries
    Gah, crap. Thanks for making me read over Zulfiqar again. Took it in the first time, but forgot about it when writing the commentary. Didn't remember that the breaking effect would only apply to C or below. Yeah, retracting anything I said about it being too OP: now in the realm of 'powerful but acceptable'.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Is this the right place for asking for opinions about how to implement a particular character/NP/etc? Or is it just for completed Servants?
    "...My own issues notwithstanding, it does suck not being able to comprehend the potential outcomes of my actions until it's all done."

Blog Entries
    Right place.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Anyone have ideas for what a weaponized unicorn horn* might be like as an NP? In canon, the main property they seem to have is good spiritual interference, which Servants have no need of. In their own myth, they're mainly a ward against poison, which doesn't come up much. Am I missing something, or is a unicorn horn a surprisingly underwhelming weapon in a Grail War?

* Ivan Grozny/Berserker, wanking a unicorn horn mentioned in some contemporary biographies and the iron-tipped staff he used to kill his son into the same object.
    "...My own issues notwithstanding, it does suck not being able to comprehend the potential outcomes of my actions until it's all done."

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    Good spiritual interference? You realise that Servants are spirits, yes? Heroic Spirits copied out and placed into limiting containers, true, but spirits nonetheless. There's a reason only spiritual damage can injure them. Sounds to me like a unicorn-horn-spear might be absurdly deadly, slipping past armor and ignoring Endurance to a degree to deal damage directly to the spiritual core, or some other form of interference like disrupting an NP's ability to function correctly.

Well, during the heyday of unicorn in European imagination, it was nigh unbreakable short of some of the best magic weapons. So in other words another standard requirement for a Noble Phantasm. Other then that, maybe give it increased magic resistance? Not really much more about the horn once you separate it from the unicorn. The unicorns themselves were really impressive and the Alicorn was only part of that.

^
    eh, it's implied that while a Scripture would allow you to fight a Servant I don't think it would do much more then just allow you to. Ciel has the Seventh Scripture and apparently she isn't allowed to kill them.
    Last edited by terraablaze; October 30th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IIRC they can destroy spirits in the Nasuverse.

It sounds like a pretty overwhelmingly powerful thing in a Grail War actually.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Well, during the heyday of unicorn in European imagination, it was nigh unbreakable short of some of the best magic weapons. So in other words another standard requirement for a Noble Phantasm. Other then that, maybe give it increased magic resistance? Not really much more about the horn once you separate it from the unicorn. The unicorns themselves were really impressive and the Alicorn was only part of that.

^
    eh, it's implied that while a Scripture would allow you to fight a Servant I don't think it would do much more then just allow you to. Ciel has the Seventh Scripture and apparently she isn't allowed to kill them.
    This is more how I was thinking about it, which is why I thought it was unimpressive as a Servant weapon; sure it can harm spirits and is almost impossible to break, but those are just general traits of all NPs. I guess you could wank it into being super-damaging to them, but I'm not sure that's a route I want to take, in part because of what teraa mentions about Ciel/the 7th.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    IIRC they can destroy spirits in the Nasuverse.

It sounds like a pretty overwhelmingly powerful thing in a Grail War actually.
    Everything Servants do all the time can destroy spirits. It's really not as big an advantage as you'd think. And judging from Kirei's "fight" against TA, having a contract and an anchor gives Servants significant resistance to purely spiritual attacks.

Blog Entries
    Sure, but you can still roll with it. Point is that there aren't that many objects that can, prior to even becoming an NP and/or being used by a Servant, even do much in the way of spiritual interference. The Horn already does that, so stack on NP crystallization and some Servant mumbo-jumbo and I could buy it. Particularly if it's a sort of spiritual interference that isn't necessarily lethal damage but some other sort of disruption. Some sort of "static" or "background noise" effect, perhaps, or a decaying of the copy's link to the Throne and the Hero it is based upon, causing a degradation in parameters or NP quality or something. There are lots of things you could do with an Noble Phantasm specifically themed around "spiritual interference".

Actualized/Completed(?) Uther sheet:
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...l=1#post998588

---
    About the unicorn horn :
    I think (my nasu-fu isn't that great) that this spear is the last thing you want in a Holy Graal War.
    Because it destroy souls(send to oblivion, vanish, obliterate, you chose) what means the graal can't use them as power source

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well if you assume that any old unicorn horn has the same anti-reincarnation power as dear old Nanako and that's all unicorn horns do; there isn't much point using it against a Servant cos
    a) they're copies
    b) they're already removed from the cycle of reincarnation

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Actualized/Completed(?) Uther sheet:
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...l=1#post998588

---
    About the unicorn horn :
    I think (my nasu-fu isn't that great) that this spear is the last thing you want in a Holy Graal War.
    Because it destroy souls(send to oblivion, vanish, obliterate, you chose) what means the graal can't use them as power source
    Like your modified Servant Uther. The "stone ring into a miniature Stone Henge" was pretty creative!

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Currently working on a concept of a potential Servant that represents the manifestion of the very trickster archetype (and the aspects of humanity he represents) itself as well as humanitys stealing from "eachother", "gods" as well as from the very planet itself. Would a hypothetical Servant like that be plausible?

This is an NPC Servant for an RPG I'm running.

Spoiler
    Ivan Grozny

Servant: Berserker

Appearance: A stout and powerfully built man in his middle years, with deep-set, red-rimmed eyes and a long black beard streaked with white. His expression and manner seems to rapidly shift between sorrow, mirth, and anger. He’s dressed in a fine golden robe trimmed with fur, and wears a golden skullcap studded with jewels and trimmed with sable. He bears a weapon somewhere between a staff and a spear, with a pommel of twisted horn and a sharpened iron tip.
    ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ov_Ioann_4.jpg )

Background: The wikipedia article on Ivan is pretty good, if you’re interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Grozny
    I’ll give a quick summary here that plays up certain aspects manifested in this interpretation.
    Ivan was born as the eldest son of the Grand Prince of Moscow, a long-awaited heir. When he was three, his father died, leaving Ivan the title of Grand Prince and his mother the regency. She died just five years later, most likely of poisoning. The young Ivan was alone in the world; the powerful noble families viewed him as a pawn at best, and he was often left to wander the halls of the palace in a state of neglect. It was here that the seeds of a powerful hatred for the nobles were sown.

At his coronation ceremony at the age of 16, Ivan surprised those assembled by titling himself Tsar of all Russia, as opposed to Grand Prince. With this, he declared himself a supreme ruler whose authority derived directly from God. He seized power and rapidly began to institute a series of reforms, establishing himself as a wise and dynamic ruler. Sadly, this was not to last. Against a backdrop of domestic troubles and foreign invasion, Ivan’s wife died in another suspected poisoning.

At the age of 30, this would prove to be another turning point in the Tsar’s life. His distrust of the nobility grew into a raging paranoia. Within four years, Ivan maneuvered himself into a position of absolute authority, carving out a huge territory over which the nobles held no power, and creating the oprichniki, a private guard and secret police force that owed allegiance to none but the Tsar. With these, he carried out a campaign against those he despised, sending any even suspected of opposing him to exile or death.

This is of totally unreliable historicity, but I’m going to leave it here because it’s just too good: “When Ivan declared himself the "Hand of God", 300 of the Oprichniki were selected to be his personal "brotherhood" that lived within Ivan's castle at Aleksandrovskaia Sloboda near Vladimir. Every night at 4 AM these Oprichnik "monks" would attend a sermon given by Ivan himself before the morning's ritual executions. The Oprichniki would lead an externally ascetic lifestyle, like the monks they emulated, but there would be mad outbreaks of cruelty and debauchery. Ivan would sing while they ate, himself not eating till everyone had finished. He would go to bed at 9 PM, with three blind men telling him stories.”

All the while Ivan slipped further into madness, wildly vacillating between his deep faith and his penchant for cruel debauchery. This culminated in the Massacre of Novgorod; seized with suspicion that the city intended to defect to Lithuania, he ordered it sacked. With Ivan at their head, the Oprichniki swept in. Any treasure that fell within their sight was fair game for confiscation; any person they encountered could be killed or spared at their whim. This was the fate of those against whom Ivan held no suspicion; the nobles, clergy, and other ‘big people’ of the town were singled out for cruel tortures and eventual execution. By the end, thousands were dead, and the town all but destroyed.

Ultimately, Ivan’s fierce temper sealed his legacy. Enraged by his pregnant daughter-in-law’s attire, he beat her to the point of causing a miscarriage. When his son confronted him over this, Ivan struck him with his pointed staff, killing him. With the heir to his throne dead, when Ivan himself died a few years later the title of Tzar fell to the second son, a weak and simple man whose rule led Russia to the Time of Troubles.

Stats:
    STR: B (A)
    CON: B (A)
    AGI: D (C)
    MGI: E
    LCK: E

Class Skills:
    * Mad Enhancement (C)
    Rank up for STR, CON, AGI. Loss of ability to speak and think clearly. Most skills or techniques requiring finesse will be sealed.

Personal Skills:
    (Not bothering to list sealed skills.)
    * Protection of the Faith (A)
    The mark of one who submitted to no earthly authority, but faithfully served God his whole life. Ivan’s mind and soul are too full for outside influences to enter; mental interference magecraft is doomed to fail, and at this rank it’s not impossible to break through the false world of a Reality Marble.

Noble Phantasms:
    * Monomakh’s Cap -- The Emperor’s Authority (B):
    The crystallization of Ivan’s claim to the title of Tsar, the one who bears ultimate authority as the living hand of God upon the Earth. Raising arms against such is a daunting prospect, and blows directed at the Tsar tend to lose their strength in flight. Effectively, this is the mother of all stare-downs, manifested as a golden disk of light behind the Tsar’s head. Attacks against the Tsar from someone looking him in the face suffer two ranks down in STR and one in AGI, and activating an NP takes twice as long (four-count). This effect can be lessened by not looking directly at the Tsar himself, which has its own problems, or by those who have Divinity or equivalent rank.

* Oprichniki -- The Black Monks (A):
    Ivan’s hands and eyes, the external manifestation of the madness and rage within his mind. In life, they were servants who swore loyalty to him before all else, and committed atrocities beyond measure at his command. Any person or object upon which Ivan casts his shadow may find itself grasped by dozens of arms, clad in the black monks’ habits of the Oprichniki, seeking to drag it inside. For most Servants, this is just a snare that forces them to keep moving, though if they do somehow end up being dragged into Ivan’s shadow they’ll find themselves in a world of blind depredation, being torn by hundreds of hungry hands until they die or somehow escape. The individual Oprichniki are not truly independent existences; they are numberless, and generating more merely requires the expenditure of prana. The true danger of the Oprichniki lies in this: any number of people can be held within the shadow, kept alive (if barely) until they are needed. When they are finally torn apart, Ivan can consume them for prana, making this NP a massive prana battery. In addition, as the Oprichniki kill more and more, they grow stronger, both in terms of their physical strength and in ability to manifest. As their strength waxes, they can emerge from other shadows near Ivan, and even leave the shadows altogether, becoming quasi-familiars. An ‘unpowered’ oprichnik is strong enough to easily down a normal human. A fully powered one approaches very low Servant stats (lower than a Zero Assassin, for instance).

Strategy/Role: Berserker is pretty straightforward; he’ll fight whoever appears in front of him and spend his spare time depopulating Fuyuki. If he’s left alone he’ll happily recreate the Massacre of Novgorod. His Master is content to take this ‘wait and see’ approach and spend time accumulating power. Berserker is built to be the character that brings others together: he’s a clear and growing threat that can’t be reasoned with, but is very tough for a single combatant to take down-- a milder form of Hercules. Now that I've written him up I'm afraid he might be a bit too weak, but I think I've given him everything I plausibly can.

Blog Entries
    I like it, he's pretty interesting as a "growing threat" kind of guy. Interesting to me how he doesn't really seem to have much of a way to make big attacks on people, unlike most Berserkers (okay, he has Rank A spear attacks, which is frightening, but whatever) but once you let him feed he has the potential to become a lot like Pride from FMA:Brotherhood. I like it, it's a nice take for a Berserker, though how much actual planning and tactical methodology he can use whilst being both mad and religiously zealous is questionable. I assume he just runs around eating normal people until he can shoot shadow arms everywhere.

The Cap is quite a cool idea, well implemented, though you can definitely tell it's for an RPG with the fixed timeframe for an NP activation, where in a general story NPs would vary in time and some wouldn't need "activation bars" at all, being on constantly, so hard to judge that from a non-RPG perspective.

Also, kind of amusing how after all the discussion on the unicorn horn it just ended up as a normal spear with no special properties at all :P

EDIT: He strikes me more as a "Zero!Caster" type of threat than a "Heracles" type threat, but either way I can see how he'd work well, for sure.
    Last edited by Vagrant; November 1st, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another Caesar.

This version was a patriotic tyrant who believed that Rome was better off with him in charge.
    However, he didn't want to become king because he feared it would hurt Rome in the long run.

For triple fun, I statted three different classes.

Name Gaius Iulius Caesar
    Class Lancer/Rider/Saber
    Alignment Lawful Good
    Parameters
    Lancer Rider Saber
    STR D C B
    AGI B B C
    CON D C B
    MGI B C C
    LCK A A A
    Skills
    Riding A (Rider): Can ride all kinds of mounts up to Divine Beasts.
    B (Lancer, Saber): Can ride most vehicles with above average skill.
    Magic Resistance C (Lancer, Saber): Nullifies lower level Spells. Is affected normally by High Thaumaturgy and Great Rituals.
    - (Rider): No resistance whatsoever
    Military Tactics A+: Offensive and defensive bonuses when Anti-Batallion or Anti-Fortress attacks are deployed by either side.
    Charisma B-: Grants a morale bonus to allies. However, diplomacy with enemies is penalized.
    Noble Phantasms
    [All classes]
    Alea iacta est
    The die is cast
    Type: Support
    Range: Self
    Max targets: 1
    The embodiment of Caesar's legendary audacity that brought him victory against superior forces.
    To use it, Caesar draws a line in the floor with his boot and crosses it invoking the true name.
    By betting his life on the current battle, all parameters are boosted by a rank.
    However, the ability to retreat is lost until the battle is over.
    [Lancer only]
    Divide et impera
    Divide and rule
    Type: Anti-batallion
    Range: Variable
    Max targets: Variable
    The pinnacle of siege tactics, this Noble Phantasm creates a double barrier.
    The inner boundary traps the enemy while the outer boundary defends from external attacks.
    Only Caesar and those he allows to cross either boundary.
    To use it, Caesar sticks his spear in the ground and calls out its true name.
    (The spear is actually the standard of a Roman legion.)
    From that point, fortifications start growing in the chosen shape at a speed of 100 meters per second.
    The maximum possible size is 18km for the inner boundary and 21 km for the outer boundary.
    Breaking it through brute force requires an Anti-fortress attack.
    [Saber only]
    Crocea Mors
    Yellow death
    Type: Anti-unit
    Range: Melee
    Max targets: 1
    A golden sword linked to the British version of the "sword of the king" legend.
    When its name is called, the next hit causes instant death.
    This ability can be resisted with a Luck check against the NP rank (B).
    [Rider only]
    Memento mori
    Reminder of mortality
    Type: Anti-batallion
    A reenactment of the ceremony of Roman triumph.
    To use it, Caesar dons a golden laurel wreath and calls out its true name.
    A golden chariot, pulled by four white horses is instantly summoned.
    Offensive and defensive parameters are increased to Divine Beast status.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; November 2nd, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Arrow

Servant: Saber (qualified Caster)
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    True name: Luke Skywalker

Parameters:
    Strength: D*
    Endurance: D*
    Agility: D*
    Magic: A+
    Luck: B

Class skills:

Riding: (Rank B) Though he is unable to ride beast, mundane or Phantasmal, he is legendary for his piloting skills.

Magic Resistance
    : (Rank C) Due to years of training in a style/Philosophy of magic known as the Force he has gained a certain control and defense against other magic users.

Personal skills:

Jedi Grandmaster:
    (Rank A) He is the first Grandmaster of the New Order of Jedi and is considered one of the best in its and its predecessor’s history. With this Skill not only does he have access to a number of fantastic abilities but all Parameters marked with a * are granted a varying boost in power linking with his connection to the Force.

• Gives similar abilities as Battle Constitution, Presence Detection, Discernment of the Poor, Instinct, Clairvoyance and Eye of the Mind to name a few.

Protection of the Faith: (Rank C) With his actions and beliefs he was able to rekindle and restart an ancient order and return it to its glory.

Noble Phantasm:

Lightsaber
    : (Rank C) A complex device that stands somewhere between magic and technology that produces a blade of light said to be able to cut through near anything. With it not only does Saber gain a powerful offensive weapon but an admirable defensive one, giving a mid-level Protection from Projectiles imitation.

(Hardest part with this one was finding a Skill that didn't fall under being a Jedi)
    Last edited by TheDivineDemon; November 3rd, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
    See me wasting my life on fanfics here.

Blog Entries
    Is just a lightsaber honestly the best you can do for him? I do see that the doesn't really have a signature item, but it should be perfectly possible to come up with a compelling concept-type NP for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?