Page 1 of 221 12361151101 ... LastLast

Thread: General Movies Thread

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries

General Movies Thread

Because not all movies warrant a thread for themselves.

How is this not already a thing? Simple thread to post trailers or talk about movies you've recently seen or want to see or even just talk about, but can't justify making a thread for them because they're a bit low key or whatever.

It's not because I need somewhere to shill my Australian movies that nobody ever gets to hear about, nope.

So I'll start. Here's a movie that's basically about a guy trying not to shit himself. It's better than it sounds, I really quite enjoyed it. There are one or two rather disturbingly disgusting scenes, as a warning. It's available online through iTunes right now, if you decide to support the small film industry rather than pirate it.

Listen, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything. Lenoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone here seen In Bruges? That maybe qualifies as a little niche, but it's hands-down my favourite film ever; the dialogue is the best I've ever heard, and it's just generally a really great black comedy (slash... indescribable thing).

Blog Entries
    That's one I've been meaning to see for ages but keep forgetting to. That and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

Listen, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything. Lenoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I seriously can't recommend it highly enough.
    Don't remember much about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang since I've only seen it once but hey, Robert Downey Jr has to count for something, and I think I remember liking it?

Blog Entries
    Realtalk: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is nowhere near the worst Indiana Jones film. Temple of Doom is just a lacklustre film and when people do the whole "what fourth movie, there's only the trilogy" joke I judge them.

fite me m8

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Realtalk: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is nowhere near the worst Indiana Jones film. Temple of Doom is just a lacklustre film and when people do the whole "what fourth movie, there's only the trilogy" joke I judge them.

fite me m8
    Chrystal Skull was horrible because it was more like a videogame than an actual movie (like seriously, that whole fight in the jungle with 2 jeeps? it's the exact kind of thing that would happen as a scripted sequence in COD or something like it) it's like that kid from the original Jurassic Park, he gets electrocuted and flies like 400 feet, but No! he's still alive and well!

Once you saw that kid not FUCKING DYING from shit that would kill most adults, any scene with them afterwards lost all tension because if you don't die from that shit you know that the producers want your character in for the sequel, so that scene with the raptors in the kitchen? nah bro, they're totally gonna make it, no tension. Same deal with Indy 4, it has no tension AT ALL which is one of the things that made these films thrive, the idea that Indie was just making it by the skin of his teeth. Hell, pay attention to the movie, Marion's actress is smiling thoughout the movie cause there is no risk, it's like she's in a freaking rollercoaster ride instead of something they should be afraid of cause hey, death and all that.

And it also suffers from the problem that plaged the new Star Wars trilogy of lack of witty dialogue, witty dialogue is the unsung hero of Indy movies, The scene on the third Indy, the one with Sean Connery, where he just up and throws a german officer over the side of a blimp with everyone else watching is great and it's great because of one reason, the delivery of, and the line "No Ticket". without that line, that scene is just Indy threw a guy from a blimp, with it, it's funny.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

Blog Entries
    And yet Temple of Doom was somehow still worse. An impressive achievement.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenoire View Post
    Has anyone here seen In Bruges? That maybe qualifies as a little niche, but it's hands-down my favourite film ever; the dialogue is the best I've ever heard, and it's just generally a really great black comedy (slash... indescribable thing).
    In Bruges was great; Colin Farrell did a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Tired Professor
    I found Interstellar to be quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Cruz View Post
    I found Interstellar to be quite enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    Best 2014 Soundtrack Selection coming through, get out of the way plebs.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Saw Nightcrawler yesterday.

Pretty good movie. Gyllenhall carries it completely by himself though.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For all the hype surrounding 2001: A Space Odyssey, I didn't find it as a satisfying film.

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    Watched Psycho​. Alfred Hitchcock is truly the master of suspense and horror.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors UnlimitedBladeWorks's Avatar
    I need to get around to watching Interstellar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    For all the hype surrounding 2001: A Space Odyssey, I didn't find it as a satisfying film.
    I found it enjoyable, but I can see how watching it now it might seem archaic, not just the Sci-Fi side of it, but also on the story front. The computer tries to kill you hadn't been THAT overdone at the time the movie was made for example, but us, living in a post-Terminator world were every machine has tried to kill us in movies, it isn't that... interesting anymore.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven2785 View Post
    I found it enjoyable, but I can see how watching it now it might seem archaic, not just the Sci-Fi side of it, but also on the story front. The computer tries to kill you hadn't been THAT overdone at the time the movie was made for example, but us, living in a post-Terminator world were every machine has tried to kill us in movies, it isn't that... interesting anymore.
    It's not really the computer story arc that I found unsatisfactory, but rather the ending. It just...leaves us hanging. That, as well as the pacing of the whole film, combined with its attempt to accurately portray the silence of outer space, makes it like a borefest to me.

In fact, it was more interesting to watch the first arc of the film than the rest.

I watched Predestination. That was something, all right.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    I'm lucky enough to have a theater with a real 40mm IMAX projector (equivalent of 12k or 13k resolution if you put it in those terms) nearby, so I saw Interstellar. "Visually stunning" would be an understatement.

I've been reading a lot about rationality, humanism and cognitive science lately, so it had quite the impact on me. Made me feel tiny.

Banned
    Watched Django Unchained again.

Still good the third time.