Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughter of Shinigami

Daughter of Shinigami

Overview: The chronicles of Satsuki Arima, daughter of Shiki and Arcueid. One would assume that things would be happily ever after, but considering who her parents are, you don't think that life would go smoothly and without incident for her, would you?

This is something that's taken so long to actually write that I think at least two or three fanfics inspired by it have been started and finished in the duration, the ending has changed at least once or twice, and I ended up going back and editing the grammar and sentence structure of the entire thing one and a half times across (currently) three threads because I didn't like the way it was originally. Reading this from beginning to end is going to be like watching a timeline of me getting more and more depressed and insane, which is good, because everyone in it is going to join me sooner or later, to say nothing of anyone reading it because depressed and insane people make incredibly unreliable narrators. When all this is done I am going to snort a half-dozen lines of powdered Zoloft, eat Dark Pulse's brain to inherit his focus and drive and write something upbeat, cheerful and potentially smutty in my own fumbling, awkward way even if I break both my arms in the process.

At this point I realize full well that between the torpid update speed and my own lack of self-promotion this is fated to be resigned to obscurity, but giving up was never an option. That said... third time's the charm. At least this time there's part and chapter headers. The chapters themselves are a little anemic, though at this point, well...

---

Part 1 - Chapter 1

"You're all serious tonight, Shiki. Is something wrong?"

Arcueid looked up from her seat on the swingset at Shiki who was pacing nervously in front of her.

"...Arcueid, how long have we known each other?"

"About two years now, I suppose. Why?"

Shiki raised his head, gazing up into the night sky. "It seems like only yesterday that we first met..." he started, hoping that Arcueid wouldn't bring up the fact that upon meeting each other for the first time Shiki sliced her into seventeen bloody chunks. She didn't, much to his relief, and he continued. "...and even after everything we've been through - Roa, Nero, Walachia... I wouldn't trade the time I was with you for anything." Turning to meet Arcueid's questioning gaze, Shiki took a few slow strides towards her. "The days I've been with you have been the happiest days of my life. You mean the world to me, Arcueid. Which is why..." He paused and took a deep breath, trying to compose himself. "Which is why I must ask you one question."

Shiki reached into his pocket and pulled out a small purple velvet-covered box. "I know it isn't much, but... Arcueid Brunestud..."

He knelt down before her and opened the box, revealing a simple silver ring.

"Will you marry me?"

Across the street, a lone figure cloaked in blue leapt off the top of a lamppost and disappeared into the night.

---

Ciel haphazardly tossed an armful of curry-flavored Cup-O-Ramens into a cardboard box. Grabbing a nearby roll of tape, she yanked off a strip and sealed the box, violently tearing off the rest of the roll. She was, needless to say, still quite upset at the events she witnessed two nights earlier: What was supposed to be the parting glimpse of another city saved from the touch of the damned turned into something much less satisfying. Shoving the box aside, she pulled another box from the stack on the floor and continued packing.

"The minute I turn my back that... that vampire has him in her clutches. I can't believe I actually trusted her! Of course foolish me believes that he's any different from the rest of his oversexed male friends." She seethed, tightly clutching a small glass flask of curry powder. "Damn you, Shiki!"

Ciel slammed the flask down onto the counter for emphasis, causing the fragile container to crack and break apart in her hand. Cursing, she dropped what remained on the counter, clutched her wrist and hissed in pain, the curry powder doing a fine job of burning the cuts in her palm.

It was around this time that there was a knock on the door.

"Yes, I'm coming," she snapped. Storming over to the door, she flung it open, scowling. "What do you- oh, Shiki!"

"Good morning, Ciel. I just came by to see-" He looked down. "Your hand!"

"What?" She glanced down. "Oh, it's nothing. One of the containers broke, that's all. I'm all right." She winced as the burning sensation intensified. "Really."

Shiki looked at her, then took her by the wrist and lead her inside. "Come on, let me take care of that for you. You don't want it getting infected, you know."

---

"So," Shiki began, pulling the last fragment of crimson-stained glass out of Ciel's palm with a pair of tweezers. "you're going to be heading back to the Vatican soon, I take it."

"Yes. I've no reason to stay here any longer than I have to."

"You'll keep in touch, right?"

"Perhaps."

Silence.

"...is something wrong?"

"No."

More silence. Shiki dabbed at Ciel's cuts with a cotton ball before tossing it into the garbage.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. After all, it isn't as if I discovered that you proposed to the very thing I'm trying to rid the world of."

"What?!"

"You heard me!" she said loudly, her anger rising. "What on earth were you thinking when you decided to spend the rest of your life with that woman?" She looked up, as if having an epiphany. "Oh, that's right! Maybe you were thinking about how nice it would be to still be sleeping with someone who has the body of a twenty-one-year-old when you're old and gray!"

"Ciel."

"Assuming of course she even lets you grow old like a normal human being and doesn't turn you into a Dead Apostle the moment you left on your honeymoon!"

"Ciel!"

"But since you're obviously thinking with your genitals like every other man in existence, all you saw was a carefree life with a woman who cooks, cleans and fucks like a tiger!"

"It's not-"

"Get OUT!" she screamed, pushing him into the hallway.

"It's not like that! If you let me explain-"

"Explain?! What's to explain?"

"Ciel, I stopped by to say goodbye-"

"Goodbye," she deadpanned, brushing past him and storming down the hallway.

Shiki continued. "...and to apologize for not being around to see you off when you go back home."

Ciel stopped dead in her tracks, slowly turning to face him. "What?"

"Arcueid and I are moving up north in a day's time." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck. "We haven't found a place yet, but things will probably work themselves out in the end."

"What about your sister?"

"She's the reason why we're moving. I told Akiha about my intentions to marry Arcueid and she didn't take it too well. It would probably be for the better if we kept our distance from each other."

Ciel could feel her anger receding, despite her wishes. "She didn't attack you, did she?"

"No. When I told her she said I had to decide between Arcueid and the Tohno family. In choosing one I would have to abandon the other."

"...and you chose her?"

He nodded. She stared at him for a few seconds, aghast, before speaking.

"You mean to tell me," Ciel started, "that you were willing to give up everything you had - including your family name - for her?"

"Yes."

"Why??" she blurted out.

Shiki answered softly, "...because I love her."

Ciel continued to stare at him, a mixture of shock and confusion on her face, before he spoke again, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry about this. Don't worry, I'll find my way out." With that, he slowly headed for the front door. Sliding it open, he stepped outside and was about to close it when he heard Ciel's hurried footsteps approaching him.

"Shiki."

"Yes?" he replied, turning back.

"I'm... I'm sorry for the way I reacted," she said, averting her eyes downwards.

"It's all right. I understand how you feel about her."

And how I feel about you, she mentally added. "...and... though I may not approve of your union," she continued, looking up. "I will still pray that your marriage is a happy one."

He smiled. "Thank you, Ciel." Stepping outside, he added, "you will keep in touch, right?"

"Yes. Yes, of course."

"Great. Goodbye, Ciel."

"Wait, Shiki." He paused, looking at her quizzically. "If I may request one last thing before you depart."

"All right."

Her voice lowered. "Kiss me."

He stared at her for a moment. "...Ciel, I'm-"

"I know. I understand that you love her, and that nothing I can say or do will change that. But..." She wrung her hands. "But before you and Arcueid are wed, just once, I want to-"

Ciel's words were cut short as Shiki pulled her forward and pressed his lips to hers. She wrapped her arms around him, holding him tightly, returning his kiss in kind. Their embrace lingered on for what seemed like ages before they finally separated, her head swimming with emotion.

He smiled warmly at her, stepping back. "Goodbye, Ciel."

"Farewell, Shiki," she replied, dazed.

She stood in the doorway watching him as he walked down the road, turning and waving to her just before rounding the corner. Once he was out of sight she pulled the door shut, leaning up against it for support. As tears began rolling down her cheeks she slowly slid to the floor, sobbing.

"Damn you, Shiki..."
    If the only response you can think of for something is an overused terrible image with text on it or a beaten to death catchphrase, you should have a sit down and question your direction in life. "Who am I?" "Do I even have my own personality?" and "When did I replace my wit and social interaction skills with a series of shitty .jpg's?" are only a few examples of things you might consider pondering.

Whu it actually worked? I mean how do you like the power of my Gae Bolg you wanton demon!?
    *Grins rubbing hand over hand evilly*

Muah hah yay! Here we go again. Poor Ciel. Well one story goes one way one story goes the other.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The beauty of a visual novel with multiple paths - you can do so much.

Part 1 - Chapter 2

"Arima residence."

"Good day, Master Shiki."

"Hisui?!"

"Is something wrong, Master Shiki?"

"No, no... it's just that I was surprised to hear from you, that's all."

"I am calling you to see if you and Miss Arcueid are well. Am I correct in assuming that you have found suitable accommodations?"

"We're doing fine, thanks for asking. Yeah, right now we're living in an apartment complex. I've been working as a part-time assistant - more like a bodyguard, really - for the head of the Sabaki law firm, and Arcueid's... well, she's doing something."

"Master Shiki, if I may be so forward as to ask what sort of occupation she is holding?"

"She won't say. She's assured me that it isn't illegal, though, and I trust her. Whatever it is, she's earning quite a bit of money for only a few hours of work a week."

---

Rin whistled in appreciation. "Look at her. If I weren't so good-looking I'd almost feel jealous."

Taking a sip from her soda, Rin continued reading the magazine she found lying on the floor in Shirou's house. Granted, it was lying on the floor under a futon, but it was still on the floor. Practically in the open, even. So it couldn't be helped if someone just came along, picked it up and started reading it, right? Right.

"I'd still love to know how she fit those things into that outfit," she remarked. "It looks like it would be a tight fit for Saber." Thoughtfully, she added, "come to think of it, Saber wouldn't look that bad in it..."

"It's not my colour."

Rin blinked. Slowly turning around, she saw a mystified Shirou and an impassive-looking yet clearly irate Saber standing in the doorway. Thinking fast, she leapt to her feet and angrily waved the magazine in Shirou's face. "How dare you keep this filthy, disgusting, misogynistic trash lying around your house! Have you no shame?"

"...and how dare you enter Master's house without his permission and read it," Saber calmly replied.

"Only so I could know just how filthy, disgusting and misogynistic it really was!" She folded her arms across her chest and snorted. "Honestly Shirou, I used to think so highly of you, and now-"

"This took you fifteen minutes?" she asked.

"Huh?"

"It took you fifteen minutes to determine that you were offended by it?"

"...you were standing behind me for fifteen minutes?"

Saber nodded.

"Yeah, well... uh..." Pointing to something behind Saber and Shirou, she shouted, "look out! It's Berserker!" before running past them and out the front door. The two stood there for a moment before Shirou spoke.

"She does know that we didn't turn around, right?"

---

"It's a little rough, but we're making ends meet. So... how's-"

"Hey Hisui, it's Shiki, right? Let me talk to him."

"Hi Kohaku."

"Hey Master Shiki! So how're you and the Missus? Have any kids yet?"

"Well, not yet, but-"

"'Not yet?' So you're planning on it, eh? Hey, if you need any help taking care of your kids Hisui and I would be more than happy to give you a hand."

"Thank you for your offer, Kohaku, but Akiha needs you more than I. Speaking of which, I was about to ask how she was doing."

"Well, after you left Miss Akiha tried her best to make it seem like she didn't regret what happened, but it's pretty obvious that what happened between you two was eating her up inside."

"...I see."

"She's doing much better nowadays, though. She's going out all the time with that one girl, Miss... Sero? Zeon?"

"Akira Seo?"

"Yeah, her! Anyway, they've been hanging out with each other more often these days and it's been doing her a world of good. A little social interaction does wonders, you know."

---

"Ah, Akiha-"

"That's Mistress to you."

"Mistress, could you please untie me? I know I've been a naughty girl and all but I really need to use the bathroom, okay?"

---

"That's a relief. Anyway, it's been nice talking to you two again."

"Likewise... and hey, if you have any trouble with your kid or 'performing' for Arcueid, just give me a call and I'll hook you up, okay?"

"Thanks... I think..."

---

Swallowing on a dry throat, the new assistant stood in front of the door leading to the office of Hideto Toyowara, head of the Toyowara Foundation. Only three weeks into his career and here he was, about to meet face-to-face with the head honcho himself. Though what he was doing at the moment amounted to little more than a courier job for Mr. Toyowara, he still hoped to make a good first impression.

"Better get this over with," he mumbled to himself, and knocked on the door.

"Enter," a deep voice boomed.

He opened the door and stepped into the office, immediately awestruck by the room's opulence: Fine mahogany bookshelves filled with books on law, business and military strategy spanned the entirety of one wall, with the other wall being home to framed diplomas, awards, photographs and certificates, and a stand which held several katana which looked to be centuries old. The door to the office was flanked by two maroon couches, with a svelte raven-haired woman in a fashionable violet dress lounging on the one to his left. In front of him sat a massive desk, home to a flat-screen PC monitor, a flask of brandy and several stacks of paper.

Behind that desk was Hideto Toyowara, who shot a stern glare at the aide before going back to writing on a legal pad. Though in his sixties - and rapidly losing his hair - he was still in better shape than most men thirty years his younger. This, combined with his chiseled, almost angular facial features, gave him a rather imposing presence of which the young man was feeling the full brunt.

"Well?" he said gruffly. "Come out with it."

Composing himself, the aide bowed deeply before speaking. "There's some new information regarding the Toyowara clan's distant relatives," he said.

"Did they finally discover who murdered them?"

"No, but... they did manage to find a survivor."

Hideto's brow furrowed briefly, belying his surprise. He set his pen aside, directing his full attention towards the aide. "A survivor?"

"Yes, sir."

He looked pointedly at the manilla folder in the young man's grasp. "I take it that contains the information on him, or her?"

"Yes, sir."

"Bring it here."

He obediently strode to the desk and handed it to Hideto, who opened it and began sifting through the various reports and surveillance photos. Without looking up he intoned, "thank you. You may leave."

The young man bowed once again and made a dignified yet hasty exit.

As Hideto read through the reports the woman stood up and made her way over to his side, gingerly perching on the edge of his desk. "With the way you obsess over them I'm surprised that you haven't changed your name," she said with a wry smirk.

"Don't be ridiculous. They were the ones who married into our family." He shuffled through the photos, then tossed the folder onto his desk and leaned back in his chair, irritation evident in his expression. "...for all the good it did. The one remaining member of my ancestor's clan and he turns out to be male. Married, no less. Even if I did have one of them take her out of the picture there would be none who could bear his child and continue the bloodline." He scoffed. "Four sons, and they're all useless."

"Not all of them, dearest." The woman reached out a slender hand and picked up one of the photos that spilled out of the folder. "You forget that your eldest is wed as well."

"What good is he?"

"Though you may not be able to have a grand-child, a great-grand-child is not out of the question."

Hideto drummed his fingers on the desk as he pondered his wife's statement. "A possibility. Assuming of course that he decides to sire a child with this... foreigner."

"He will."

"What makes you so certain?"

She laughed. "It's a simple enough matter to know how a young man's mind works... and besides..." Standing up, she placed the photograph back on the desk and slinked towards the door. Pulling it open, she continued. "The photographer caught them... shall we say, 'in the act?'"

Hideto reached out and picked up the photograph in question. "So he did," he said matter-of-factly.

"He almost looks like you when you were that age, dearest..." she purred, as the office door slowly swung closed. Smiling, she added, "almost as energetic, as well..."
    If the only response you can think of for something is an overused terrible image with text on it or a beaten to death catchphrase, you should have a sit down and question your direction in life. "Who am I?" "Do I even have my own personality?" and "When did I replace my wit and social interaction skills with a series of shitty .jpg's?" are only a few examples of things you might consider pondering.

Whu it actually worked? I mean how do you like the power of my Gae Bolg you wanton demon!?
    I'm downright amazed on how many times you can make me crack up over one short piece of literature.

Part 1 - Chapter 3

The doctor reached out and gently shook Shiki by the shoulder. "Mister Arima?"

Shiki jolted awake. "Mnuh?"

"Sorry to startle you. Your wife has come out of the delivery room." He paused for dramatic effect. "Congratulations, Mister Arima. It's a girl."

An expression of pure joy spread across Shiki's face. "That's... that's great! What about Arcueid? Is she all right?"

"Your wife's fine. She's currently in Room 307. Just head down that hallway and make a left."

Standing up, Shiki quickly made his way down the dimly-lit hallway, weaving through the various staff members, patients and visitors. Giving a curt nod to a pair of nurses as he slipped by, he rounded the corner and found himself in a decaying, run-down hall, the flickering halogen lights coloring everything a sickly yellow. He slowed his pace, looking about before a twitch of motion drew his attention towards the ground: There lay a wounded doctor, his face and arms covered in deep claw marks, grasping at the floor as he slowly crawled down the hall. His legs lay limp behind him, a smeared trail of blood in his wake.

Sprinting over, Shiki slid to a halt as he knelt by his side. "What happened? Who did this to you?"

The man slowly turned and looked up at Shiki with dull, unfocused eyes. He made a gurgling noise before coughing, covering the floor in front of him with red flecks. "N... not huma... n... killed oth... ers... please..." he moaned, before his body slumped to the floor, unmoving.

Shiki made a mad dash back down the hallway and leaned out around the corner. "Hey, this man needs a doc-" He trailed off. "...tor?"

The hall that he had walked down not more than thirty seconds ago, filled with over a dozen people, was completely empty. Shiki glanced behind him and promptly did a double-take: The wounded doctor, too, was no longer there, though the trail of blood he left behind still remained. Focusing himself, he drew his knife from his pocket and carefully crept made his way down the hallway, following the trail left by the missing doctor until it lead him to one of the patient rooms. The door was closed and the number plainly visible.

"Please be safe," he whispered to himself, then turned the knob and gave the door a push. The door slowly swung open and Shiki nearly gagged at what he saw: A nurse was slumped against the wall near the door in a pool of gore, her neck torn open and her uniform covered in crimson. In the middle of the room a doctor lay on the floor, his abdomen torn open and his entrails dumped in a bloody heap at his side. Fearing the worst, Shiki looked to the bed... only to see Arcueid smiling sweetly at a bundle in her arms, seemingly oblivious to the macabre scene surrounding her. "Arcueid?"

Arcueid looked up at Shiki, still smiling. "Hey there, dad."

"'Hey there, dad?' Arcueid, what the hell happened here?"

Her smile faded and she arched an eyebrow. "Huh? Oh, you mean them," she said, gesturing to the bodies on the floor with her free hand. "Well, your daughter got a bit hungry, that's all." Looking back at the baby she cooed, "she's such a fussy eater. Yes she is. Yes she is!" The baby, delighted with the attention it was receiving, burbled happily. "You know, I think she has your smile."

Despite his every instinct urging him not to, Shiki warily stepped over to Arcueid's side as she turned the baby towards him. The baby looked up at her father with golden eyes and smiled, its mouth opening to reveal dozens of long, needle-like teeth.

---

"Sorry to startle you. Your wife has come out of the delivery room." He paused for dramatic effect. "Congratulations, Mister Arima. It's a girl."

An expression of pure joy spread across Shiki's face. "That's... that's great! What about Arcueid? Is she all right?"

"Your wife's fine. She's currently in Room 307. Just head down that hallway and make a left."

Standing up, Shiki was about to make his way down the empty hallway when he paused. Something tugged at his memory like a half-remembered dream; he wasn't sure what it was, precisely, but he was certain it had something to do with this hospital. He continued on his way, keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Rounding the corner he looked toward the floor, only to find... nothing. Of course the fact that there was nothing of note on the floor didn't bother Shiki so much as the fact that he expected to see something there. Odd to be sure, but stranger things did happen. He shrugged it off, continuing down the hallway to Room 307.

As he reached for the doorknob he paused, that nagging sensation returning once again. Somehow he had the strangest feeling that he didn't want to see - or shouldn't see - what lay beyond. Writing it off as nothing more than anxiety, he opened the door. Inside was...

...was Arcueid, holding their child while seated in a perfectly ordinary bed in a perfectly ordinary room. Inwardly scolding himself for being so paranoid, he entered the room. Arcueid looked up at him, smiling. "Hey there, dad."

"Hello, mom. You feeling alright?"

"You weren't worried about me, were you?"

"A little, yes."

"Don't worry, I've been through a lot worse. Your daughter's doing fine as well. See?"

Arcueid turned the bundle towards Shiki and a small human form jumped out and latched onto Shiki's arm. No more than two feet tall, it looked like a shorter version of Arcueid - complete with white sweater and purple skirt - with a tail, cat ears and eyes that took up half of its face. Looking up at Shiki, it grinned. "Nya! Hi, pops!"

---

Shiki peered up at the doctor, suspicion evident in his expression.

"Is something the matter?"

"There weren't any problems, were there?"

"No complications at all."

"Nothing unusual, such as her being born with teeth or cat ears?"

The doctor was put off slightly by Shiki's question but politely replied, "nothing of the sort, sir. Your daughter is perfectly healthy."

Shiki breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you. 307, right?" he asked, standing up.

"That's right," the doctor replied, checking something off on his clipboard. It wasn't until a few seconds later that it dawned on the man that he never said anything about the room number. He turned to ask Shiki how he knew, only to see him round the corner at the far end of the hall.

"Weirdo," he mumbled.

---

Hearing the "click" of the door knob, Arcueid looked up from her daughter to see Shiki step into the room. "Hi. How are you feeling?"

"Relieved." She paused, then added, "...but still worried."

"Did something happen?"

"No, it's just that... well, look."

Shiki hesitated for a moment, but emboldened by his earlier dreams - after all, he thought to himself, it can't be much worse than that - he went over to his wife's bedside to take a look at his newborn daughter, who reached her tiny little hand out towards the strange new person before her, giggling in delight. There didn't seem to be anything missing or out of place: Ten fingers, ten toes, a tiny little nose, no pointy teeth, red eyes...

Wait... red eyes?

"Don't babies have blue eyes when they're born?" he asked.

"That's what I'm worried about."

"You don't think that there's something wrong with her, do you?"

"Oh, no. It's not that; I was just hoping that she would have looked more like you."

He sat down on the edge of the bed next to her. "What do you mean?"

"You know, more Japanese. So she'd fit in."

"I think she'll be all right; it's not as bad as it used to be." He adjusted his glasses. "Besides, I heard there's some Japanese men who find exotic-looking women very attractive."

She smiled warmly at him. "Thanks, Shiki." Looking back at her daughter, she furrowed her brow and said, "we still need to think of a name for her, though."

"Ichiko?"

"Ichiko? How many kids do you plan on us having, anyway?"

"It was just a suggestion. I'm not too fond of it myself, but it's a start."

"We could always name her Shiki Jr."

Shiki shook his head. "People will think that we're unoriginal."

"...and Ichiko isn't?"

"It *was* just a suggestion. How about Ryogi?"

"Ryogi? Isn't that a guy's name?"

"It can be a girl's name."

Arcueid looked down at her daughter. "She really doesn't look like a Ryogi, though."

The three of them sat there in silence, Arcueid and Shiki lost in thought and their child looking up at them in wonder.

"...Satsuki."

He looked at her, surprised. "What?"

"Satsuki Arima. That sounds nice, don't you think?"

Shiki said nothing, turning away and nodding sullenly. Arcueid looked at him with a puzzled expression for a few seconds before it dawned on her. "Oh, that's right. Your friend... it's too morbid, isn't it?"

He shook his head. "No, it's a good name. I think... I think she'd approve."

"Alright. Satsuki it is, then." Looking back at her daughter, she inquired, "how does that sound to you?"

Satsuki giggled joyfully in reply.

Part 2 - Chapter 1

"...with the final death toll reaching over 1.2 billion people, the majority of whom lost their lives in the ensuing tidal waves and flooding, with-"

The deep chiming of the school's bell startled the the wizened teacher out of his monologue. "Is it that time already?" he asked no-one in particular, looking up at the clock over the blackboard. "Well, no matter. I expect that some of you will be spending most of your weekend undergoing testing at the Geofront, so in the interests of fairness I have decided not to assign homework. Class dismissed."

The students, who by and large had been ignoring him for most of the class, packed their belongings and made their way out of the classroom into the hall. This sort of behavior was not unusual for this particular teacher, and the students had learned that it was easier to simply humor the man rather than try and convince him that a meteor did not strike Antarctica at the turn of the century. Some were still curious as to what would cause such strange behavior, however.

"You know what I think? I think he was in some apocalypse cult, and when the world didn't end he made up this whole story in his head." The pony-tailed girl turned to the blonde teen walking alongside her. "What do you think, Satsuki?"

Satsuki shrugged, smoothing out her short, chin-length hair. "Maybe he's just obsessed with some old movie or TV show. I heard that there were a lot of people like that back then."

"What, you mean people so totally hung up on something that they base their entire lives around it?"

Before Satsuki could respond two arms wrapped around her shoulders from behind as a handsome young man with close-cropped and impeccably styled dark hair leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. "Hello there, gorgeous."

Satsuki smiled and leaned back to take a look at the new arrival. "Hey Katsuya."

"Speak of the devil," the girl muttered.

Turning away from Satsuki, Katsuya shot the girl a dirty look before politely asking, "I'm sorry, were you saying something?"

"Nothing at all," she replied. Quickening her pace, she waved behind her without turning around. "I'll see you later, Satsuki."

"Ran, hold on for a second, I-"

"Don't worry about it; she's just jealous. So..." he started, moving along side of her while still keeping one arm around her shoulder. "You have any plans for this Saturday?"

"Actually, yeah. A couple friends and I were planning on having a little girl's night out."

"It's been over a month since our last date. Are you saying that you don't have time for your personal Prince Charming?"

"Hey, my social life is a first-come, first-serve, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants sort of thing. They asked before you did, so..." She shrugged.

"...so I'm out in the cold then, huh?"

Satsuki stopped and turned to face him, gazing into his pale green eyes. "Don't say it like that. I mean, you're a nice guy and all, but sometimes I just need a little 'me' time, you know?"

"But what about us? I feel as if-"

"Katsuya, I'm not going to leave you any time soon." Cheerfully she added, "I'm open next week, though. Wanna give it a shot then?"

He nodded. "Sounds like a plan. Well then, until next week..."

"Until next week, Mr. Charming."

---

The front doors to the school burst open and a skinny, chestnut-haired teen looked about frantically, searching for someone. Spotting the someone in question near the school's gate he ran after her, weaving his way through the mass of black uniform-clad students while waving one hand over his head. "Satsuki!"

Satsuki turned just as he slid to a stop next to her, pausing to catch his breath. "Oh, hi Takada."

"I was... looking all over for you," Takada gasped. "Teacher wanted to... to talk to you about something."

"Oh. Well, it can probably wait until Monday," she said off-handedly, walking away.

Jogging after her Takada said, "hold on a second! Didn't you hear him calling your name?"

"Nah, I sort of blanked out and lost track of time."

"...that figures."

"Oh, come on. It's not like he was saying anything important."

"That's not the point." He ran a hand through his unkempt mop of hair, collecting his thoughts. "Look, are you doing anything over the weekend, because I'd-"

"Hey now!" Satsuki stopped in her tracks, whirled around and leaned forward until she was nearly nose-to-nose with Takada. "You're not asking me out on a date, are you?" she inquired, grinning.

"A date? No, no no... it's just that..." He trailed of, looking away.

Satsuki giggled and looked into Takada's eyes. "Go on."

"...I'd, um... like to help you with some of your class work."

She arched an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"Well... the teacher's always on your case about how you could do better if you applied yourself and all, and since I'm one of the better students in the class he asked me if I could help you study."

"Oh, that," she replied, the tone of her voice showing an expressed disinterest in the subject. "Ah, you know teachers are. They're all stuck that old 'study hard, work hard and be miserable because our parents were too' mentality. Plus most of the classes are completely useless. I mean really, algebra? How practical is knowing what x times y to the z over three to the blah power is? Why not teach people something useful, like how to cook?"

"Did you study for the last algebra test?" Takada inquired.

"Nah, I had better things to do."

"What did you get on it?"

"Hmm," Satsuki hmmed. After a moment's thought she dismissed the question with a gesture. "It's not important."

"This is important, Satsuki! If you don't study you won't get good grades, if you don't get good grades you won't get into a good college..." She began making a yackety-yack gesture with her hand, which he ignored. "...if you don't get into a good college you won't get a good job, and if-"

She sighed. "If this, if that... you know I don't like talking about ifs." Her expression brightened and she leaned forward again. "But you know what?"

"What?"

"I'm glad you're worried about me, Takada. You're going to make some girl very happy some day." With that she turned and ran off, waving to Takada. "See you next week!"

Takada waved meekly at the departing Satsuki. Once she was out of sight he sighed and began trudging home. "...feel like a babysitter sometimes..."

---

The front door slid open and Satsuki stepped inside, slipping her shoes off in the foyer before continuing down the hall towards her room. As she walked past the living room she heard a familiar voice call out. "Welcome home, honey."

Dropping her school bag she turned around and ran into the living room. There, seated in a chair and reading a magazine, was Arcueid Arima. Though nearly twenty years had passed since Shiki first met her, she remained as radiant as ever.

"Mom!" Satsuki practically dived towards her, wrapping both arms around her neck. "Mom, I missed you so much!"

Arcueid returned the hug in kind. "I missed you too, hon. So how's school?"

"Oh, you know, same old same old. Learn new things, meet new people..."

"Flirt with your boyfriend."

"Moooooom," she chided, leaning back.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of. I flirted with your father all the time back in the day."

"That's really not the sort of thing you're supposed to tell your kids, mom." In an attempt to change the subject to something other than her mother's romantic life she asked, "how was Okinawa?"

"It's beautiful this time of year. All the flowers are in bloom, the weather's nice and warm... the shopping's good too. Speaking of which, I got you something."

"Really?" Satsuki eagerly asked, leaning forward.

"Really." Reaching over, Arcueid picked up a small rectangular box and handed it to her daughter. "The instant I saw it I thought of you."

She looked the box over with a puzzled expression before lifting up the top, and immediately her eyes lit up: Inside was an exquisitely crafted teardrop-shaped switchblade knife, an intricate swirling pattern of turquoise inlaid into the gleaming steel handle.

"Oh, wow! This is the greatest gift ever!" Once again hugging her mother tightly, she skipped off towards her room to revel in her new gift.

Arcueid shook her head as she went back to reading. "You really are your father's child..."

---

"...and then I find out that he's been with some bitch from the Lillian school across town." The tall, short-haired girl clenched her fist, causing the joints to crack rather loudly. "So I do what every self-respecting woman should do when they find out that their SOs are running around behind their backs."

"No offense, Akira," Ran started, "but I'm not sure that most women would beat up their boyfriends."

"I didn't beat him up," Akira said, taking a sip of her drink. "I slammed him into the wall before throwing him to the ground. 'Beating up' implies punching."

"He has a black eye," Ran retorted.

"Okay, so I punched him once. My point still stands. Why are you asking me all this crap, anyway?" She gestured to Satsuki, who was sitting across from her. "Pester Sats for a while or something. She's the one with the improbably successful relationship."

Satsuki shot Akira a look. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, come on. Out of three hundred assholes you get the one guy who's willing to wait on you hand and foot and probably sits around all day at home waiting for you to call him because he can't go a day without hearing your voice." She clasped her hands together and held them to her chest for emphasis.

"Bitter much?" Ran asked.

"I don't know about you," Satsuki said, "but from what I've seen most guys don't cheat on their girlfriends."

"What about your guy?"

"He wouldn't do that; he's too nice."

"So... he loves you."

"Yeah."

Akira cocked an eyebrow. "Do you love him?"

After a moment's thought she hesitantly replied, "yeah, I guess so..." before taking a drink from her soda.

"Oh, I see," Akira commented, nodding. "Did you fuck him?"

Satsuki's reaction to the question was to inadvertently spray her beverage through her nose and into the air in front of her, following it with a violent coughing fit and ending with her clutching her nose as the carbonation did very unpleasant things to her sinuses.

"Is that a 'no?'" Akira asked, trying to suppress a grin and failing miserably.

Satsuki nodded, still holding her nose.

"Akira!" Ran hissed, "what kind of question is that?"

"Oh, come on! Like you weren't wondering the same thing. The way he acts I wouldn't be surprised if Sat here was leading him around by his dick." She chuckled. "Wouldn't blame her, either. The guy's loaded."

"For your informa-" Satsuki paused before sniffing, picking up her napkin and blowing her nose. "For your information I have not, nor will I ever have sex with him."

"So you don't love him."

"I love him, I just-"

"You just don't love him enough to have sex with him."

"There's more to love than just sex."

Akira pointed to Satsuki and opened her mouth to say something before turning away and shrugging. "Okay, you got me. Maybe I'm just jaded..."

"'Maybe?'" Ran asked incredulously.

"Okay, so I am jaded. But I just find it strange that your relationship is so... so perfect, you know?" She picked up her glass. "You do know what they say about things that are too good to be true, right?"

---

As Katsuya stared out the sedan's side window contemplating the day's events, his thoughts were rather rudely disturbed by the ringing of his cell phone. Pulling the phone out of his jacket pocket, he checked the number before cursing and flipping it open. "What do you want?" he snapped.

"Katsuya, something's come up," a nervous-sounding man's voice said. "That is to say, uh..."

"Spit it out, old man."

"Your sister is... is going to be, uh..." The voice wavered slightly. "...joining you. At school."

"WHAT?" Katsuya screamed, startling the driver. "How could you let that conniving little bitch do something like that?"

"N-n-now don't get so upset. I tried to talk her out of it, but she's... you know how she is, right?"

Katsuya leaned back in his seat, massaging his temples with his free hand. "Yes, I do. I also know that you've got no balls, which is why she can get away with shit like this. You should've locked her up, father."

"Maybe she-"

"She's a freak. You know that."

"She's a human being! How can you-"

"Right now she's good for one thing and one thing only, and the last time I checked she didn't have to be walking around trying to stick her nose into my business to do it. This isn't a hard thing to understand, but somehow you've managed to fuck it up." He snorted. "Now I know why your father never expected much from you."

Katsuya's father tried to reply but was cut off when Katsuya closed the phone and placed it back into his pocket. "Fuck me," he muttered. Then, to the driver, "you may as well head home; there's no way in Hell that I can enjoy myself after this."

"Yes, sir," he replied.

Looking out the window again, he let out an irritated growl. "This is going to go to shit, I can see it already."

The code tag makes it look a little clunky, but what can you do?

Part 2 - Chapter 2

Satsuki sighed. Another nondescript week in the public education system. It wasn't that she didn't like it - she wasn't terribly fond of it, granted, she just knew she couldn't do much without it and begrudgingly put up with it - it was just that it was so... well, boring. Almost predictable. Right about now, she thought, would be the time that someone - probably Takada - would come up behind her and ask her how her weekend went.

"Excuse me... you are Satsuki Arima, are you not?"

She stopped. Either Takada was hitting the estrogen or predictability just up and left when she wasn't looking.

"Yeah, I am," she said, turning. "...and you are...?"

Standing behind her was a slim, demure young woman a few inches taller than Satsuki and clad in the school's black uniform, gazing intently at her with deep blue eyes. She gave her a slight bow, causing her waist-length raven-black hair to cascade down over her shoulders. Brushing it back she replied, "Nanashi."

After a moment's thought Satsuki tilted her head and cocked an eyebrow. "Have we met?"

Nanashi allowed herself a slight smile before walking past her and towards the school. "No," she said, "but Katsuya spoke of you."

"He did? Hey, wait up!" She took a few quick steps before slowing down to keep pace with her. "How do you know Katsuya?"

"He's my twin brother."

"He never said anything about having a sister."

"He's not that fond of me," she said, brushing a stray lock of hair aside. "I can't imagine why."

Satsuki nodded. "I see."

They continued on in silence for a few seconds before Nanashi turned to look at Satsuki and spoke. "You know, Katsuya said you were quite beautiful. I see now that such words are an understatement."

"Um... thanks." Taken aback by this statement, Satsuki found herself blushing despite herself, turning away to hide her embarrassment. She knew this was flattery of the highest degree, but coming from her it just sounded so...

"You must have a lot of male admirers."

She shook her head. "Not really. Most guys don't talk to me."

"I find that surprising."

"It's probably because I look like, well..." She gestured to herself in a "you know the rest" sort of way.

"A foreigner?"

"Yeah."

"Their loss."

She smiled. "Yeah, no kidding. So how about you?"

"Well, we all have our secrets..."

As they approached one of the hallway junctions Katsuya rounded the corner heading towards them and, upon seeing his sister, came to a sudden halt. "Oh, it's you," he said, his expression darkening.

"Good morning, brother."

"Satsuki," he said, ignoring Nanashi, "what are you doing with her?"

"Just talking," she replied.

He glared at his sister. "I see."

"You don't object to our conversation, do you?" Nanashi inquired, giving him a sly look. "After all, no harm can come of it, correct?"

"...no, of course not." Forcing a smile, he nodded towards Satsuki and gave her a polite, "I'll see you later, Satsuki," before walking past the two girls and turning into a nearby classroom.

"Man, what's gotten into him?" Satsuki asked.

Nanashi smirked. "I won't even hazard a guess."

---
    Code:
    11.      EXT. POV SHOT - ALLEY - NIGHT

The alley is between two concrete buildings.  Judging from
             the lack of garbage and graffiti, it isn't in the bad part
             of town.  A street light illuminates the alley slightly.
             It's enough to see, but not enough to make out details.  The
             shot begins at the end of the alley, facing the street, with
             the CAMERA at eye level.  It slowly moves forward,
             accompanied by light footsteps.

The camera stops.  A light sniffing sound is heard for a
             second, then the camera lowers slightly and races forward at
             high speed.  Just as it reaches the end of the alley A MAN
             steps into view.

The man is wearing a brown business suit and is slightly
             overweight and balding.  He carries with him a dark brown
             suitcase.

As the camera approaches the man two feminine hands come
             into frame and wrap around his arm, tugging at it.  The man,
             not expecting this, jumps slightly and pulls back.

F. VOICE (OS)
                                (distressed)
                           Please, you have to help me!

MAN
                           Wha-?

F.VOICE (OS)
                           My friend, they've got my friend!
                           She's back there and they're going
                           to kill her or rape her or- you
                           have to help me, please!

The man looks torn.  His first instinct is to get the hell
             out of there, but his expression hardens as he begins to
             feel the call of chivalry.

MAN
                           Where are they?

F. VOICE (OS)
                           Thank you, oh thank you so much!

The man gets pulled into the alley for a few steps before
             the arms retract from the frame.  The camera begins moving
             away from the man.

F. VOICE (OS)
                           She's this way!  Hurry!

Turning away, the camera races down the alley, weaving past
             neatly-stacked garbage cans and orange crates and around
             corners.  Heavy footsteps can be heard in the distance, but
             as the camera continues onward they begin to fade.

The camera stops, looking into a cul-de-sac.  The only
             thing that can be seen in the moonlight are a metal door
             on the left side with a broken lamp hanging above it.

The camera whips backwards.  The man hasn't arrived yet.

Panning up, the camera quickly moves back and forth between
             the walls of the alley until it reaches the top.  It then
             pans downward to reveal the man running into the alley, his
             breath coming in ragged gasps.  He comes to a halt, leaning
             forward with his hands on his knees as he looks around.

Staggering forward, he tries the door.  No good; it's
             locked.  He looks around again to see if he missed anything.

The view blurs as the camera rapidly descends onto the man,
             flying to his neck.  He barely has time to shout when a
             wet tearing noise is heard and blood sprays into the frame.
             He flails about in agony, trying in vain to escape.
             Suddenly, a loud crack is heard and his body goes limp as
             he slumps to the ground.  The camera remains fixed at his
             throat the entire time as lapping noises are heard.

The licking continues for several more seconds until the
             camera moves back up, looking down at the body as a pool of
             blood slowly spreads around him.

CUT TO BLACK.
    ---

Satsuki awoke with a start, her body covered in a thin film of cold sweat. Propping herself up in bed, she frantically looked around her to ensure that she was still in her room and not in some back alley with a corpse. After confirming that she was in fact at home she breathed a sigh of relief, trying to calm herself down.

"That dream again..." she said to herself, resting her elbows on her knees. When did they begin, she wondered? Almost two weeks ago? The faces and locations were all different, but the outcome was always the same: Some poor soul was tricked, trapped or hunted down by her, after which she murdered them and consumed their blood. The thing that struck her, though, was that they were so vivid: The smell of the man's cologne, the sound of tearing flesh and the taste of blood which still lingered in her mouth. Stranger still was that during them she felt a sense of joy, almost as if it was all some sort of game for her.

"This is probably some sort of subliminal... thing," she mumbled, falling back onto her pillow. "Like repressed sexual urges or something Freudian like that. Yeah, nothing to get worried over, just..."

She closed her eyes and groaned, finding that to her dismay her attempts to convince herself that her dreams weren't a problem weren't very... well, convincing. Pulling the covers back up over her, she rolled over and prepared for another fitful night of sleep.

Part 2 - Chapter 3

Approximately eleven hours later Satsuki was sitting in her school's cafeteria with Takada, Katsuya and Nanashi. Takada was occupying himself by checking his notes for the next class, Katsuya was casting suspicious glances at Nanashi in between bites of his meal, Nanashi (whose presence Katsuya tolerated purely for Satsuki's sake) was looking at Satsuki with an expression of vague interest and Satsuki was contemplating how two weeks' worth of dreams about murdering people and drinking their blood put a damper on her appetite as she listlessly prodded at a small clump of rice with a plastic fork.

"You're worried about something," Nanashi said. It wasn't a question so much as a statement of fact.

It wasn't until about a second later that Satsuki realized that yes, someone was talking to her. "What? Oh, uh... it's nothing. Really."

"It's not like you to be this concerned about something." She leaned forward, folding her hands in front of her and resting her chin on them. "...and it really doesn't suit you, to be frank." Casting a sidelong glance at the two males at the table she added, "surely I'm not the only one who's noticed this?"

"Actually, I was wondering about that," Takada started, looking up from his notes at Satsuki. "You've been really-"

"Of course I've noticed," Katsuya said haughtily. "I was just about to ask, as a matter of fact. At least until someone interrupted me." He shot a dirty look at Nanashi, who ignored it.

Satsuki gave the rice clump another nudge before setting her fork down. "Thanks for noticing," she said sullenly, eyes fixed on her plate, "but I really don't feel like talking about it at the moment."

Katsuya started to say something which, in his mind, would reassure his girlfriend as well as help patch up their relationship which, also in his mind, had been steadily going downhill. Before he could even utter a word, however, his sister chose that exact moment to reassure his girlfriend for her.

"I understand," she said softly, patting Satsuki's hand. "But just remember that we're here for you should you ever need a confidant."

She raised her head and allowed herself a slight smile. "Thanks, Nanashi."

"-the body of the victim, Hideyuki Oda, age 37-" Satsuki turned in time to see a black and white portrait of a portly, balding businessman on the cafeteria's television screen, his eyes censored by a thick black bar. "...was discovered this morning by locals. At this time the police have no suspects, but Commissioner-"

The color in Satsuki's face rapidly drained away and she felt herself becoming very ill. She managed to stammer out an "excuse me" before stumbling to her feet and quickly making her way out of the cafeteria and down the hall.

Turning towards her departing form, both Takada and Katsuya shouted, "Satsuki, wait!" Takada glanced back at Katsuya, Katsuya turned and glared at Nanashi and Nanashi turned to Katsuya and gave him an innocent smile. Noting the lack of reaction on both their parts, Takada set his notebook down and quickly followed after her.

After Takada's departure, Katsuya's expression was replaced with one of almost inhuman calm as he turned away from his sister, returning his attentions to his meal. "You know, for all those years everyone's said that you were worthless, not even deserving of a name. But no, even someone who's worthless would have the sense to stay out of other people's business. Especially when it's in their own best interests to back the hell off."

"Is it, now?"

"Don't be coy with me. Do you really think I can't tell why you're here?"

"I am here because I choose to be. You, on the other hand-"

"I'm here," he cut in, "because I want to be here. Don't act as if you know things you don't."

"Come, now; we're both on leashes, brother. The only difference is that I choose to lead my so-called masters while you sit by their side cowed into submission."

"At least you admit you're a rabid bitch," he snapped.

"Mind your words," she said, standing up. "You've a reputation to uphold here, do you not?"

"One of us does."

"All the more reason to be careful, is it not? Good day."

---

Shoving the door open Satsuki plodded onto the school's roof, breathing heavily. The churning sensation in the pit of her stomach had subsided somewhat, leaving her merely nauseated and not completely prepared to lose her lunch. Running a hand through her hair, she thought about what she had just seen.

"He's really dead," she said to herself. She tilted her head upwards and stared into the sky. "They're really dead."

"Satsuki?"

Satsuki jumped and quickly turned, presenting Takada with her best nonchalant look. Looking at her in faint befuddlement, he closed the door behind him.

"How'd you find me?"

"The door was open; I just followed the breeze. Are you feeling okay?"

She nodded slowly before looking off to the side, fidgeting. Eventually she asked, "Takada, we're good friends, right?"

"Well, yeah. Ever since, what, seventh grade?"

She leaned forward and looked into his eyes, her expression becoming a bit more pleading. "Really good friends, right?"

"Yeah, I guess so..." he said, albeit hesitantly.

"So I can tell you something and trust that you won't tell anyone else, right?"

"Yeah..." Takada didn't exactly like where this was going, but he still went along with it regardless.

She leaned forward a bit further and, looking directly into Takada's eyes, said in a worried tone, "I'm dead serious, Takada. I'm going to tell you something and you need to promise me that you will not tell anyone. EVER."

Takada's eyes flitted to the side for a moment as he tried to avoid her gaze. After a second of hesitation he said, "okay. I promise." After all, how bad could it possibly be?

"Okay." Leaning back, she took a deep breath and looked around, trying to find the right words to explain her plight. After a while she gave up and decided to say it as simply as possible. "Takada," she said, "I think I killed a bunch of people."

He nodded. "Oh, well- WHAT?"

"I think I killed a bunch of people."

Takada stared at her in disbelief before turning away. Removing his glasses, he rubbed his eyes and mumbled, "you can't be serious." He turned back towards her, only to find her looking as desperate as he had ever seen her. "...you are serious."

"That guy on the news that was killed? I had a dream last night where I killed him, and before that there were a bunch of other guys who-"

Takada held his hands up. "Hold it, hold it, hold it. You believe that just because you had a dream about it that you did it?"

She blinked. "Well, when you say it like that..."

"It could have been someone else and you just mistook the man's face for the one in your dream."

"No, I'm sure that it was him."

"Right." He slid his glasses back into place, thinking for a moment. "Didn't you say that there were other people as well?"

"Yeah, about ten or so."

"Was there any mention of other killings in the news recently?"

She shook her head.

He folded his arms across his chest and lowered his head, lapsing into thought again. After a few seconds he said, "I honestly don't know what to make of this. I mean, it's all so far-fetched, but..."

But she's so worked up over it that I can't help but wonder, he thought. Unfolding his arms, Takada looked up at her. "Do you remember where any of the other murders in your dreams occurred?"

"Vaguely, yeah. Why?"

"If it'll make you feel better, I want you to lead me to one of the locations after school. If there's no body or anything of the sort, this whole ordeal can be put to rest. Except for the whole..." he gesticulated. "...'dreaming about killing' thing."

"Okay," she said hesitantly. "But what if there is a body there?"

"We'll deal with that if - IF - it actually comes up. Which I seriously doubt."

"Right," she deadpanned.

"Why couldn't you tell Katsuya this, anyway?"

"Well, for starters I trust you and, I dunno, I just... I don't think he'd understand, you know?"

"...and I'm supposed to?"

"Well, no, but you were here, so..." She shrugged.

---

Several hours earlier in the Burial Organization's main complex, a silver-haired woman clad in a navy cloak strode down the main corridor of its offices, the heels of her boots clicking on the polished marble floor. As the blue-cloaked figure passed by two bishops having a conversation they grew silent, watching her distrustfully. She paid them no mind; she had become accustomed to such events in her time working for the church and really, she didn't expect them to know any better.

At the end of the hallway she shoved open the polished wooden doors, coming into a lavishly decorated room filled with Catholic regalia. In the center of the room was a large desk, behind which sat an older man in crimson ceremonial garb, composing a letter on a sheet of paper with a silver and gold-plated pen. Upon hearing the doors open he looked up, rose to his feet and slowly made his way around the desk to meet the woman. Coming to a halt, she lowered herself down on one knee as he extended his hand, kissing his ring in reverence. "Cardinal Jacobson."

"Welcome, Mediator. Prompt as ever, I see."

"What's the situation?"

The cardinal slowly returned to his seat, talking as he went. "We've received reports of some unusual activity in Japan, more specifically in the Miyagi prefecture, somewhere in the suburbs of Sendai." Noting her expression of shock, he continued. "...and it would appear that you do know something about it after all. No wonder you were chosen for this mission."

Composing herself, she asked, "it's a Dead Apostle, isn't it?"

"From the looks of things, yes."

"I take it that Narbareck wants me to find and eliminate it, then."

"One would think that, yes. But even though she did say that it was your mistake she also said that she didn't trust you enough to deal with the matter. I'm not quite certain as to the meaning behind her words, mind you; I'm merely the messenger."

The woman had a few choice words to say regarding Narbareck but decided against it. "So if that isn't the task at hand," she said, annoyance creeping into her voice, "then what is?"

"While the Dead Apostle is an issue, naturally, there's another matter that needs to be addressed at the same time. More specifically, one that will remove a persistent thorn from the side of the Church and prevent this from happening again."

Ciel folded her arms across her chest. "I'm listening."
    Last edited by O. Hakubi; April 18th, 2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Updating first paragraph.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Like father, like daughter, eh? Sounds suspiciously similar. Still, good story, I'm looking forwards to more when it's posted.

Part 3 - Chapter 1

"So is this it?" Takada asked.

Satsuki nodded. "Yeah."

The two of them stood there in silence, staring at the ruined train platform that stood before them. The steel tracks it stood beside were colored a reddish-brown from the ravages of time and weather and covered with overgrown foliage. The plaster exterior of the platform was crumbling off in places to reveal the cement brickwork underneath and the roof had long since fallen off, causing the structure to bear a passing resemblance to the rotting carcass of some long-forgotten beast. The metal door leading to the small office for this now-inconsequential public transit stop was still intact, however. What lay beyond it, though, was yet to be seen.

After several minutes Satsuki broke the silence with, "well, might as well get this over with." Crossing over to the other side of the tracks, she proceeded towards the abandoned platform. After a moment's wavering Takada followed in suit, and the two wordlessly continued onward.

As Satsuki climbed the station's steps she said, "I'm surprised, Takada."

"At what?" he asked, stopping short.

She gestured around her. "This. I mean, I pretty much said to you, 'I'm crazy and I kill people' and instead of slowly backing away without making eye contact you were genuinely concerned about me. That's- ...well, 'touching' might be too strong a word for it..."

"Well, I worry about you," he said. After a moment's pause he scratched the back of his neck and turned away, mumbling, "or at least you do things that make me worry about you..."

He winced and slowly turned back towards her, hoping that she didn't hear what he said. If she did she gave no indication of it, as she was currently gazing at the door in front of her, lost in thought. Climbing the steps he trotted over to her side and lightly placed his hand on her shoulder. "Come on," he said, trying his best to calm her, "all we need to do is check out this one room and we can put this whole thing to rest. Right?"

She slowly nodded and with a look of determination reached forward and grasped the knob. "You better be right about this," she said.

She turned the knob and pushed the door open in one slow, deliberate motion, causing a wave of eye-watering putrefaction to flow out of the doorway. Both Satsuki and Takada turned away, the latter gagging on the stench while staggering backwards and the former covering her nose and mouth with her hand. After a short while the odor dissipated she turned back to look into the abandoned room.

Unceremoniously slumped in the corner of the room was the body of a young man, barely in his thirties, with a gruesome-looking jugular wound. His skin tone had faded to a sickly greyish color and his yellowish eyes were rolled back into his head. A swarm of flies, drawn by the rotting flesh, had descended upon his wound and the claret stain covering the left side of his torso.

"Oh shit," she gasped, the pit of her stomach churning from both with the sight of the cadaver and the sudden and violent re-emergence of her own guilt. She turned away, clutching her head. "Oh shit, oh shit oh shit oh SHIT! I killed him! I killed him and they're gonna hang me for it and, and... shit, this isn't right!"

It was about this time that Takada's coughing paroxysm ended and he looked behind him to see what was in the room. Doing a double-take, he darted over to the doorway and leaned in for a better look, supporting himself by holding on to both sides of the door frame. "Oh God!" he shouted in disbelief. "He's dead!"

If nothing else, Takada Youichi had a remarkable grasp of the obvious.

"That's what I've been saying! Oh, I am so screwed..."

Pulling his head out of the doorway, he turned back towards a very perturbed Satsuki. "There has to be an explanation for this. If we just calm down and-"

"Calm down? You're not the one who's killing people in their sleep!"

"Just because there's a body there doesn't mean that you did it!"

"Like anybody's going to believe that!" she exploded.

"Won't they? If you just explain what happened there'll be no problems."

"'Gee officer, I just found him there like him. What? Oh no, I just knew I would find a dead body in an abandoned train station.' They're not stupid, you know!"

Takada removed his glasses and lowered his head, rubbing his eyes with his free hand. "Well, we can't just leave him here; people are going to start asking questions once they notice that he's gone. This isn't something that can just be covered up, you know." When he looked back up he noticed that Satsuki had backed away and was currently staring into the room behind him.

"Satsuki?"

Crouching down slightly she pulled her knife out of her pocket, the blade glinting in the afternoon sun as she flicked it open and spun it around to an underhanded grip in in one smooth motion. Something about how clean the blade was seemed off to her, but this was neither the time nor the place to think about it. "Move. Now," she said, fear creeping into her voice.

"...what're you-"

"MOVE!" Reaching out with her free hand, she grabbed Takada by the collar and half-dragged, half-threw him to the side just as two haggard limbs swung down in the space where he had been standing a split-second earlier. The young man, caught off-guard, had little time to react before landing shoulder-first on the tiled concrete floor. Clutching his shoulder with one hand, he forced himself up into a sitting position.

"What was that for??" he shouted at her.

"Shut up and stay back!" she replied, her eyes not moving from the door.

A guttural moan emanated from the doorway and the gaunt, pallid form of the thirtysomething man shuffled out, clearly dead yet somehow still alive. Its head twitched slightly as its eyes rolled back into place with a sickly wet peeling noise, flitting about for a second before coming to rest on Satsuki, who grit her teeth and tightened her grip on her knife.

"...oh God, what the hell is that thing?" Takada mumbled, scrambling backwards. Turning back to his friend he shouted, "Satsuki, you're the one with the knife! DO something!"

Satsuki shot a quick look over to Takada before returning her attention to the cadaver, muscles tensed and prepared for any action it might take. That action never came, as it merely stood there staring down at her with jaundiced eyes, its limbs swaying slightly as if in an unseen breeze. Confused, she slowly lowered her guard and straightened up, meeting its gaze. Her expression softened, and she slowly began to reach towards it with her free hand.

With a sudden jerk the dead man before her swung its arm up, mimicing her gesture. She reflexively pulled her hand back, and with another twitch it followed in kind. Blinking, she looked down at her hand, then back at the cadaver before slowly reaching up towards its face. "You poor creature..." she said softly, her voice full of pity. "Left alone in such a place. I don't know whether to leave you be or put you out of your misery."

"That's, um... that's not what I had in mind when I said-"

She turned a withering gaze on Takada, the light of the setting sun giving her eyes a momentary golden cast. The dead man turned towards him and let out a hoarse bellow, then raised its arms and lunged towards him. Gasping, Satsuki leapt to the side and swung her knife upward as Takada shielded his head with his arms, wincing in expectation of the worst.

There was the sound of metal slicing through flesh, and light thumps followed by a deep, pained growl.

Lowering his arms, Takada looked towards his feet to see four severed fingers, still twitching slightly. Turning his sights upwards he noticed the cadaver stumbling backwards as brownish blood oozed from the stumps where its digits were. Satsuki was crouching beside him, knife at the ready.

"I thought I told you to stay back!" she said angrily, standing up.

"I was, but you were-"

"Next time, stay back farth-" She didn't manage to finish her sentence, as the cadaver caught her off-guard with a hard hook to the jaw. Satsuki reeled from the blow, recovering just in time to duck under a clumsy second swing with the cadaver's wounded arm and rake her knife across its abdomen, forming a wide, bloody gash.

The cadaver howled in pain and swung its arms downward as Satsuki rolled to the side, narrowly avoiding its grasp. Swiftly rising to her feet, she leapt up and delivered a high roundhouse kick to its face, sending it stumbling backwards towards the platform's edge with blood streaming from both nostrils of its mangled nose. Advancing, she delivered a second high kick to its head, knocking several teeth loose and causing a small spray of gore to issue from its mouth.

With the cadaver teetering on the edge of the platform Satsuki swung her knife towards its neck with the intent of slashing its throat, but at the last second its body jerked forward in a futile attempt to right itself, causing her knife to sink into the side of its neck before it finally tipped backwards. Lashing out with its good hand it clutched her arm, dragging her off the platform as it fell to the ground below, landing in a gravel pit with Satsuki landing on it in turn, her face mere inches from its jaws. She grunted, pushing herself away from it as it growled and gnashed what remained of its teeth.

As she reached forward to pull her knife from the cadaver's neck it swung its arms forward with uncanny speed, wrapping what remained of its fingers around her neck in a death grip. She let out a strangled gurgling sound and reached down, the handle of her weapon mere inches from her fingertips. As it tightened its grasp she coughed and reached up, gripping the wrist of the cadaver's injured hand with both hands. Mustering all the strength she could, she strained to pull its hand free from her throat. Seconds ticked by as her arms shook from the effort, the cadaver's grip seemingly holding steadfast. Suddenly, she could feel its hand slipping slightly before its grip gave completely, the stumps of its fingers painting bloody streaks on her neck. Gasping for breath, she reached out her hand and grasped her knife, twisting the handle before tearing it out of its neck, raising it above her head and driving it into its temple with both hands. There was a moment of dead silence as both Satsuki and the cadaver - she still gripping the knife embedded in its head, it lying there, both arms raised into the air - remained there, unmoving.

Then, all hell broke loose. The cadaver let out a loud shriek and began writhing about in agony, flailing its arms. Kneeling over it Satsuki wrenched her knife out and drove it into its chest once, twice, thrice, stabbing the cadaver over and over, piercing its body, spurts of blood and flecks of gore flying up into her face and coating her school uniform. Though its body quickly went limp she continued her frenzied assault, finally administering a brutal coup de grace by pinning its head to the ground with her free hand and slicing its throat with her knife deep enough to strike bone, sending a torrent of blood spilling from its neck.

Exhausted, Satsuki slowly stood up on shaky legs, staring down at the mutilated and gore-caked body before her, dead for the second and hopefully last time. She took a step back and looked down at herself in a daze: The front of her once-black school uniform was now a mottled mess of blood and bits of flesh and her trembling hands were so coated with gore that it dripped off of her fingertips.

"Satsuki!" Takada shouted as he bounded down the platform's steps two at a time, nearly falling over when he touched ground. Stumbling, he regained his balance and hurried towards her, stopping a couple feet away from both her and the body. "Are you okay? Is it dead?"

Looking up Satsuki glanced at Takada, who recoiled slightly upon seeing her face smeared and flecked with blood. She slowly nodded and turned back towards the body. "...it's dead."

"What the hell was that thing?"

"...I don't know."

"Well, we've got to get out of here and cleaned up. What if someone sees you like... that?" Approaching her, he gingerly placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to avoid some of the larger blood stains, and began to lead her away from the station.

"...this isn't right," she mumbled. "This isn't right."

Oh, and here's the other possibility that's only unlocked if you choose "Climb Up The Wall" instead of going through the first door on Stage 3, then choosing to fight the man with the chain whip and taiyaki boomerang. This ending also adds a bit of dramatic irony to Bushiko's last post.

Exhausted, Satsuki slowly stood up on shaky legs, staring down at the mutilated and gore-caked body before her, dead for the second and hopefully last time. She took a step back and looked down at herself in a daze: The front of her once-black school uniform was now a mottled mess of blood and bits of flesh and her trembling hands were so coated with gore that it dripped off of her fingertips.

"Satsuki!" Takada shouted as he bounded down the platform's steps two at a time, nearly falling over when he touched ground. Stumbling, he regained his balance and hurried towards her, stopping a couple feet away from both her and the body. "Are you okay? Is it dead?"

Looking up Satsuki glanced at Takada, who recoiled slightly upon seeing her face smeared and flecked with blood. She slowly nodded and turned back towards the body. "...it's dead." After a long pause she added, "...dear God, I don't think I've ever been as horny in my life as I am right now."

"Satsuki?"

She raised her head, then slowly turned to look at Takada out of the corner of her eye.

"Uh... Satsuki?" he inquired nervously.

Letting her knife slip out of her fingers and fall to the ground, she smirked and turned to face Takada, a feral gleam in her eye. She slowly advanced on him, licking her lips eagerly.

Takada took a step backwards. "Um... are you... uh..."

Suddenly she lunged forward, knocking Takada onto his back and pinning him down. He opened his mouth to protest but was cut short when Satsuki grabbed him by the collar and yanked his head up, nearly suffocating him with a long, ravenous kiss.

--

"So you want to tell me how you got those scratch marks all over your neck again?" Ran inquired.

"I already told you," Takada said, irritated. "It was a cat."

"They look a little big for a cat..."

"It was a very large one, and an aggressive one at that." He pulled his collar closed and looked about him nervously. Muttering, he added, "and hopefully one that won't ever-"

Sneaking up behind him, Satsuki laid her hands on his shoulders. "Nya~!"

Takada, obeying the instincts present in every human and indeed, every animal that ever walked the earth, did what every man would do in the face of terror: He ran as fast as his legs could carry him, screaming in fear.

Grinning, Satsuki leaned forward and whistled, shading her eyes with one hand as she watched him make his escape. "Man, look at him go."

"Well, you look happy. Something happen that I should know about?"

"Oh, no~thing..." she sing-songed.

GOOD END?

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaa~

Did Satsuki have a Neco-Satski moment? Neco Satski unlike Neco Arc seems to be a hottie.

Wait... climb wall, was that even an option? *checks the numbered list*

How omake of you.

Part 3 - Chapter 2

"Anyway, I'm just checking in to tell you that everything's going fine." Cradling her cellular phone, Arcueid drew the curtain open with her free hand, surveying the ocean from her hotel room's bay window. "The photo shoot was delayed until tomorrow due to rain, so I'm probably going to be back a little later than expected."

"All right," Shiki replied. "I'll be sure to tell Satsuki, then."

"Speaking of which, is she home?"

"No. I haven't seen her around and she hasn't called since I came back from work, strangely enough."

"Well, you know her. She's probably out being a social butterfly or cavorting with her boyfriend."

"I still can't believe you're not concerned."

She laughed. "Shiki, you worry too much. She's our daughter, remember? She can take care of herself." A series of knocks at her door pulled Arcueid from her reverie. "Listen, I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

"Good night, Arcueid."

"Good night, Shiki."

Snapping her phone shut, she gently tossed it onto her bed as she padded to the door. Pausing briefly to smooth the wrinkles out of her white silk shirt, she reached for the knob and pulled the door open slightly, poking her head out. "Yes?"

Standing in the doorway was a woman that, barring her silvery hair, appeared to be somewhere in her mid to late thirties, and was clad in a thin charcoal-colored three-piece suit, complete with a black tie held down with a silver cross-shaped tie tack. Though she couldn't pin it down, there was something oddly familiar about the haircut and the shape of her face...

"Mrs. Brunestud, I presume."

Arcueid blinked. "...Ciel?"

She nodded. "Hello, Arcueid."

Ciel was anticipating any of several reactions from Arcueid. A warm greeting and embrace was not one of them.

"Ciel! Oh my God, it's been forever! Come in, come in," she said, pushing the door open and ushering the perplexed Mediator into her hotel room. "Oh, wow. How long has it been? Almost twenty years?"

"I suppose so, I-"

"I never thought I'd see you again."

Ciel allowed herself a small smile. "Likewise. You haven't changed at all, it seems."

"You have, though. I mean, look at you: You got rid of that frumpy cloak and schoolgirl uniform and actually got some clothes that look good on you, and your hair is-"

"What's wrong with my hair?" she asked defensively.

"Nothing, I'm just saying..." She paused, then added, "it makes you look... distinguished."

"...yes, well... I'm sorry to say that I'm here on business."

Arcueid shrugged. "Figures. Not like you'd show up out of the blue to socialize when there's vampires to kill, right? So," she said, taking a seat on the corner of the bed, "what's the problem? The Dark Six finally showed up? ORT made an unexpected appearance at the local airport?"

"Actually, it's been a bit of an ongoing problem. Several years ago one of the members of the Burial Agency recanted his loyalties to the Church and fled the Vatican, but not before misappropriating several relics from the vaults. Since then he's gone into hiding, but recently he's turned up again. We've received word that he's assembled a group of mages and is currently headed towards an uninhabited island somewhere in the south Pacific Ocean near Pitcairn for what we believe to be-"

"...some sort of 'pagan ritual' involving summoning, heretics, blasphemy, horrible evils roaming the land, possible Dead Apostles in the works... that sort of thing, right?"

"In so many words, yes."

"...and you want my help because you think that they've summoned something that not even you can handle?"

She gritted her teeth. "...yes."

"Man, they must be short-handed," she muttered. "I'm guessing that they know you're asking me."

"Yes, they do. It was their idea, in fact."

"...and if I refuse?"

"My superiors would understand. They would not, however, be happy."

"Test of loyalty, huh?" She stood up and stretched. "Well, they've left me and Shiki alone for all this time; I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do something to stay in the Church's good graces. Keep them from trying to kill me. Trying again, at least." She gave Ciel a sidelong glance, smirking. "Right?"

Ciel nodded, saying nothing.

"So," she continued, "when does the plane leave?"

"Actually, we'll be going by boat. There's no airstrips on the island."

"Okay... so when does the boat leave?"

"Immediately."

Arcueid looked at her in disbelief. "Seriously?" She whistled and shook her head. "Photographer's gonna be upset."

"I'll take care of him."

"'Take care of him' take care of him?"

Ciel gave her an irritated look. "You know what I meant."

Arcueid smiled sheepishly. "I know, I know... just give me a couple minutes to call Shiki and get my stuff together, alright?"

"Very well. I'll be waiting in the lobby." Turning, she strode towards the door.

"Hey, Ciel."

Ciel stopped in the doorway, looking over her shoulder at Arcueid. "Yes?"

"I guess this'll give us a chance to catch up on old times, huh?"

She smiled. "I guess so."

Part 3 - Chapter 3

Satsuki looked down at the cordless phone in her hand, the steady beep-beep-beep signaling that whomever she was trying to contact - in this case, her father - was already occupied. Sighing, she set it down beside her seat on top of the washing machine.

"Any luck?" Takada asked from outside the open door.

She shook her head, not that Takada could see her. "Line's still busy."

"Oh..."

An awkward silence filled the two rooms as the dryer rumbled and churned away.

"Y'know, you can sit in here if you like. I am wearing a towel, so-"

"No!" Takada blurted out. "No, I mean... that's okay. Privacy and... and all that. I wouldn't want to, you know..."

"...make me uncomfortable?"

"Right, exactly."

"Oh, well... thanks."

Another awkward silence. Takada cleared his throat and, in a bid to change the subject to something slightly less embarrassing, said, "so, uh... I never did thank you for saving me back there."

She smiled slightly. "Don't worry about it. I save your life, you do my laundry... it all evens out."

He nodded. "Yeah... I just hope it didn't soak through and stain too badly."

"It's red on black, so if it does it shouldn't be too visible."

"I hope not..."

Once again, both sat there in silence.

"Satsuki?" Takada asked.

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"Where'd you learn to fight like that?"

"Dad taught me," she said offhandedly.

The silence that followed was less awkward and more stunned.

"You mean that..." Takada said slowly, "that your father taught you how to do... that?"

"Yup."

"...and your mother was okay with it?" he asked incredulously.

"Yeah. Actually, she was the one who bought me the knife. Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering. You're really good, you know."

She shook her head. "Nah, not really."

"I'm serious," he said, leaning to the side to look into the laundry room at her. "What you did there was just-"

"No, no, I completely lost focus after I fell off the platform and just sorta... flipped out."

"Yeah, but still... and that weird mind trick thing you pulled was-"

"Wait a minute," she said, confused. "What weird mind trick thing?"

"Don't you remember? Just as that... thing came out of the room, right after you threw me to the side?"

After a moment's thought Satsuki said, "I remember it coming out of the door towards me, then it making a mad lunge towards you."

"Nothing else?"

"No. Why, did something happen when I wasn't looking?"

"...no, not really," he replied, leaning back.

"...oh."

Minutes ticked by as Takada sat there, pondering recent events.

"So what do you think we should do now?" he inquired. "I mean, we could go to the police about this, but provided that they even listen to us that still doesn't change the fact that people are dying and you're the prime suspect. Well, they may be dying but they're not staying dead. I don't know," he mumbled, scratching his head. "This is completely bizarre. What do you think?"

No response. He leaned over and looked behind him into the laundry room again. "Hey, are you listening to me?"

Satsuki's head was slumped forward, eyes closed, with clumped strands of damp hair hanging down on either side of her face. Her hands were in her lap clutching her knife, and her bare legs dangled limply over the edge of the washing machine. Every so often she let out a low snore which indicated that no, she was not listening to him and had not been for some time now.

"...figures," he groaned. Not that he could blame her, though, what with everything that's been happening to her. Smiling inwardly, he looked up at her. It's not every day that a girl is prepared to fight to the death to save you, least of all one with such incredible legs and-

Holy crap, did he just think that?

Embarrassed, Takada stood up and walked away from the door in search of something to distract him from the knowledge that an attractive young woman clad in only a bath towel was asleep in his house. Suffice to say, he fared extremely poorly in this regard.

---
    Code:
    ?.       EXT. POV SHOT - LARGE HOUSE - EVENING

The exterior is done up in a western-style ranch house with
             a short set of brick steps leading up to the front landing.
             The house looks to be upper-middle class, yet modest in
             size.  The CAMERA begins at the bottom of the steps at eye
             level and slowly moves up the steps, eventually stopping at
             the front door.

A hand reaches out and presses the doorbell, causing a
             chime to emanate from inside the house.

M. VOICE (OS)
                           I'll be right there.

Seconds pass, during which time the camera glances to the
             right, then to the left, possibly in search of other
             people.  Said people are nowhere to be found.  The sound of
             a latch unlocking is heard and the camera snaps back
             towards the door.  It opens to reveal a very familiar,
             albeit older man in glasses and casual clothing.

SHIKI
                           I was wondering when you w-

The camera zooms forward in a blur of motion, the screen
             going black before SHIKI lets out an anguished scream.
    ---

The dryer let out a harsh buzz, startling Satsuki out of her sleep and causing her to let out a yelp of surprise as she tumbled off the edge of the washing machine and landed on her hands and knees on the floor.

"Dad..." she gasped. Leaping to her feet, she flung the dryer door open and began yanking her clothing out and hastily re-dressing herself, oblivious and uncaring of the fact that her towel was now draped across the floor.

"Hey Satsuki, did something happen?" Takada shouted from somewhere inside the house.

"Someone's trying to kill my dad!"

"What?!" Rapid footsteps echoed through the house as Takada ran towards the laundry room, sliding to a halt just outside the door and promptly averting his eyes, mortified. "Are you seriOH geez!"

"Yes, I'm serious," she said, hopping on one foot as she pulled on one of her socks. "Someone just broke into my house and attacked my father."

"How do you know this?"

She turned towards Takada briefly to glare at his back before continuing to put her clothing on. "I had another dream, okay?!"

"But didn't you say that you thought you were the killer?"

"Takada, how long was I asleep?" she asked as she fumbled with the clasp on her bra.

"Less than an hour, I guess. Why?"

Letting out an irritated growl, Satsuki tossed her bra to the floor and reached into the dryer. "So that means I'd have to wake up, get dressed in wet clothing, sneak out of the house, run home, somehow manage to beat my father in a fight and then run back here." Pulling out her shirt, she slipped it over her head. "...and nobody could beat my dad in a fight, least of all me."

"So your dreams are some sort of clairvoyance?"

"I don't know, maybe."

"But that doesn't make any sense."

"I know it doesn't make sense!" she snapped. "But someone's killing people and turning them into zombies and I'm not about to let the same thing happen to my father!" Satsuki slid her feet into her shoes and dashed past Takada, nearly knocking him over. Throwing the front door open she shouted over her shoulder, "I'll be back when this is all over, okay?" Before Takada could reply, she disappeared into the night.

---

Drumming his fingers on the table, Takada stared down at the book in front of him in abject apathy. Normally he was more than capable of breezing through things like trigonometry, but this night he found himself completely and utterly incapable of focusing, a fact that he pinned on recent events. How, precisely, is one supposed to go from having your best friend confess some involvement in a series of murders, encountering the walking dead and helping said best friend sneak back to your house after killing said walking dead so she can get cleaned up to something as utterly mundane as homework?

Pushing his book away, Takada leaned forward and rested his head on the table before glancing down at his watch.

"Only thirty minutes..."

Thirty minutes since Satsuki ran out of his house because she dreamed that her father was in danger. It seemed utterly ridiculous, but she seemed so sure of it herself... and she had proven herself right earlier, enough so that he wasn't quite certain what to make of it.

Quite frankly, he preferred it when reality made sense.

Groaning, Takada sat back up and rubbed his eyes, pulling his book back towards him with his free hand. "Okay Takada, focus," he muttered to himself. Just as he was about to try to get back on task, though, he heard a loud thump at the front door. Startled by the sudden noise, he stared at the door for a second before slowly standing up and making his way towards it.

Suddenly, the door was violently flung open and a haggard, crimson-stained figure took a slow, heavy step into the house, drizzling the floor with tiny scarlet droplets. Her head was slumped forward, and her body was covered with deep cuts from head to toe, the tattered clothing she wore remaining in place solely from the stickiness of the blood pouring from her wounds.

Takada's first instinct was to run, thinking it another cadaver. It wasn't until he noticed the shallow breathing and stray spots of blonde hair underneath all the gore did he realize who it was. He dashed towards her, catching her in his arms just as she began to fall forward to the floor. "Satsuki?! Oh God, what happened to you?!"

Satsuki's raised her head to look at Takada with a vacant, open-mouthed stare, and it was then that he could see a thin, clear substance slowly running down her cheek from what remained of her left eye, mingling with the blood from the cuts on her face to produce a pinkish ooze that dripped down onto her torn shirt. With a pained moan, her eyes closed as her body went limp in Takada's arms.

Story's over, guys. It's been a good run.

Okay, it isn't. I lied because there's no reason why the characters need to be the only ones that I inflict mental anguish on just to impress you.

Part 4 - Chapter 1

The refurbished yacht churned its way through the ocean waters, the setting sun painting a trail of glistening points of light in its wake, with the sky above it painted in streaks of pink, purple and gold. Watching this small bit of nature's light show was Arcueid, seated on the stern railing in a manner that would be considered completely unsafe for anyone lacking a preternatural sense of balance. Over the low hum of the boat's motors she heard the creak of a door opening behind her and, looking over her shoulder, she saw Ciel step onto the deck. "How much longer until we get to that island, anyway?" Arcueid asked.

"No time soon, I'm afraid. Though fortunately for us our target isn't going to go anywhere in the interim."

Arcueid let out a low sigh and turned back towards the ocean. "I still can't get over the fact that the Church still sends people out by boat."

"The security for airlines has been increased to remarkable levels over the years, yet there's been nary a change when it comes to sea travel. When you factor in the equipment that's needed for some operations..."

"You know, I always wondered how you got all those knives past airport security."

Ciel smiled, making her way over to Arcueid's side. "My trade secret is out, I suppose. So," she began, leaning on the railing next to her. "I hear you have a daughter."

Arcueid looked at her in mild surprise before her chuckling to herself. "Oh, right. I keep forgetting that you're still keeping tabs on me."

"So how is she?"

She shrugged. "Well, we tried our best. I think I'm doing pretty good at this whole 'raising kids' thing, actually."

"Does she know?"

"About what?"

"About you and Shiki."

"...oh, that," she said, a bit too casually for Ciel's taste. "Easier said than done."

"How so?"

"Let's put it this way: Have you ever thought about how you'd explain your life story to someone?"

"As a matter of-"

"Your whole life story?"

She faltered, "well..."

Arcueid leaned towards her. "Including the parts involving Roa and the Church?"

"All right, I see your point," she replied testily, "but you can't keep it from her forever."

"I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Maybe saying, 'hey, your mom's a True Ancestor and your father can see the death of people and things' will come more easily as time goes on."

"..."

"So how about you?"

"What about me?" Ciel replied.

"Well for starters, are you seeing anyone?" She turned to look at the Mediator, only to be met with an irritated glare. "What?"

"Why is it impossible for married women to understand the fact that perhaps some women define success by something other than getting married and spending the rest of their life being a stay-at-home mother? Perhaps I like working for the Church and perhaps I don't want to settle down just yet."

"Wow," Arcueid replied, taken aback slightly. "I'm sorry I asked."

"No, it's just..." she sighed, running her hands through her hair. "I just hear it every so often and it's starting to wear on me."

"Oh. Well, you know, I figured that maybe you were up to something that didn't involve killing the restless undead in the name of God. It's been pretty slow these past few years."

"I've been keeping busy," she said.

"...I see."

With nothing else to talk about, the two women turned back towards the ocean to watch the sun slowly set on the horizon. It wasn't until several minutes after that Arcueid spoke again.

"So, are you seeing anyone?"

"..."

---

"Miss Arima is right in here, sir," the nurse said, pushing the door open as she stepped to one side.

"Thank you." Takada gingerly stepped past the nurse into the hospital room and over to Satsuki's bedside. The young girl was lying motionless, an IV tube trailing down to a needle slid into her arm. Thick gauze strips were wrapped around her arms, over her left eye and, Takada presumed, elsewhere on the rest of her body. Her skin seemed unusually pale which, when combined with the pristine white of the room and the sunlight streaming in through the open window, gave the room an almost ethereal feel. Without turning around Takada asked, "could you leave us alone for a bit?"

The nurse nodded wordlessly and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Setting his schoolbag down next to a small table beside him, he reached over and pulled a thin metal chair over to her bedside before taking a seat, leaning forward and knitting his fingers together in his lap. "Hi. Thought I would stop by after school and see how things were going. I remember reading that one of the best things you can do for someone in a coma is to talk to them, so... here's hoping, right?

"In case you're worried, your father's alive. They found him lying outside the emergency room door of all places. He was pretty beaten up from what I understand, but he's doing fine for now. He still hasn't woken up, though.

"People were asking where you were today, so I told them that, uh..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I told them that you were in a car accident. I hope you don't mind. Katsuya was pretty upset about it... must be nice to have someone who cares about you that much, huh? I really hate having to lie to them, but I didn't think that I could tell them what really happened. Not that they'd believe me... heck, I don't know what really happened. The only people who do are..." He trailed off, lowering his head.

After a long silence he swallowed on a dry throat and muttered, "I kept telling you to think about your future... some future this turned out to be..."

---

Katsuya stopped just outside the school's main gate, shooting an irritated look over his shoulder at Nanashi. "Is there a reason you're following me?" he asked.

"I wanted to ask you something."

He stood there for several seconds waiting for her to speak before turning around and looking pointedly at her. "Well?"

"Your girlfriend is hospitalized, and yet you refuse to visit her. Why is that?"

"Just what are you implying?"

"I'm implying nothing, only stating a fact and asking a question."

Katsuya glanced to either side of him at the students trickling past him and out the gate. Reaching out, he gripped Nanashi's arm and brusquely escorted her off the school grounds and to the side, smiling and nodding politely to a passing gaggle of girls as he did so. Nanashi made no effort on her part to resist. Only after he was a good twenty feet from the front gate did he speak. "For your information I have visited her, all right?"

"Once, by my count," she replied, pulling her arm from his grasp.

"I didn't realize that I'd have to be standing by her side every waking hour. Is that what this is about?"

"The Youichi boy visits her daily, you know."

"Probably jerking off over her like the little creep he is," he muttered. "Why are you asking me this, anyway? There's nothing I can do for her at this point; I'm not some miracle worker."

"I've not known you as one to give up so quickly..." She regarded him with an inquisitive expression. "Been having second thoughts about your masters' ambitions?"

"Don't you dare speak of me as if I'm some sort of slave," Katsuya growled, waving a finger in her face. "Just because nobody expects anything from you doesn't mean you can act like I'm less of a person for-"

A low chiming sound emanated from Katsuya's pocket, interrupting the beginning of his tirade. Growling, he withdrew his cellular phone from his pocket, flipped it open and brought it to his ear. "Yes, what do you-" He winced. "...no, sir," he said, turning his back to Nanashi as his voice started to waver. "Of course not, sir. I was talking to- no, sir. It won't happen again, sir. Yes, sir. Yes, sir, I have. No, sir. No, sir... but sir, she's in a coma. How am I supposed to-"

The long stunned silence that followed was almost palpable.

"...y-yes, sir. But sir, her friend is- ...yes, sir. Yes, sir. Thank you, sir, good day." He slowly lowered his arm, looking down at his phone with an expression somewhere between shock and abject fear.

"It's nice to see that he's so concerned about you," Nanashi remarked.

Katsuya looked at her but said nothing as he turned and hastily made his way down the sidewalk.

"...truly a thing to be pitied," she said softly to herself.

Blog Entries
    I'd forgotten the Evangelion reference - squicky though it is.

That wasn't an Evangelion reference, that was Katsuya not having a high opinion of Takada.

Part 4 - Chapter 2

The hospital room was deathly still, with the only sound being the slow, rhythmic beeping of the EKG. Takada had long since fallen asleep by Satsuki's side, with his head resting on the side of her thigh and both arms draped across her legs.

Satsuki's eye fluttered open and she slowly sat up in the hospital bed, blinking repeatedly in an effort to bring the room into focus. She made an effort to shift her legs, only to notice that Takada's upper body was holding them in place. He stirred slightly and raised his head, looking out the window before pushing his glasses up and rubbing his eyes. Stopping suddenly, he lowered his hand and slowly turned to look at Satsuki in abject shock.

"Y... you're awake?!"

She nodded, not quite knowing what to say. "Yeah?"

His eyes began to tear up slightly before he reached out and wrapped both arms around her, nearly knocking her back onto her pillow in the process. "Don't do that!" Takada said. "Don't you dare scare me like that again! You're always running off and doing things without thinking, and, and..." He let out a low sob and squeezed her tightly as tears began streaming down his face. "You could've died, Satsuki!"

She looked down at him with no small degree of consternation and lightly embraced him in kind, trying to recall the events that lead her to this moment. "It's alright, Takada. See?" She gently cupped his chin and tipped his head upward to meet her gaze. "I'm still here," she said, smiling softly.

"I know, but when you didn't wake up I thought that... that..." He tightened his hold on her, as if to assure himself that she was still there.

"'Didn't wake up?'" Satsuki was certain that she didn't want to know what that meant, but knew she had to ask. "How long was I out?"

He grimaced slightly and said nothing, turning away from her.

"Takada, how long?" she asked, a bit more forcefully than before.

Hearing the urgency in her voice, he finally relented. "...nine days," he mumbled, looking up at her in regret.

Satsuki felt a wave of dizziness wash over her. "Nine days?! It's been nine days since I..." She trailed off as the night came back to her in scattered bits and pieces: Her, running down the road and up the steps to her house. A figure carrying her father disappearing into the darkness. The pained struggle for her, now cut and torn, to return to safety.

Her father...

"I've gotta save dad!" she shouted, pulling herself free from him. She made a move to get out of the hospital bed, only to stop with a sudden jerk as the various wires connected to her body pulled taut.

"What are you talking about? He's-"

"Dad's still out there," she said as she hurriedly pulled the IV needle out of her arm and the EKG sensors off of her body. "Someone's got him, some-" She swung her legs over the edge of the bed and went to stand up, only to have her knees buckle and give way. She let out a yelp as she stumbled forward onto Takada, who found himself in the unenviable position of trying to hold her up and back at the same time.

"Calm down, your father's fine."

"The hell he is," she retorted, struggling to reach the door. "Some weirdo in a cape ran off with him when I showed up and-"

"He's in the hospital."

Her struggles came to an abrupt end. "...what?" she asked, visibly confused.

"I don't know how he got there, but the doctors found him just outside the hospital doors. He was beaten up pretty badly from what I gathered."

Satsuki lowered her head in thought as her left hand slowly drifted up towards the bandages over her eye. "Is he... dad's awake, right?"

He shook his head slowly.

Her expression hardened. "Let go," she said, resuming her efforts to push past him.

"Now where are you going?"

"After whoever tried to kill my dad."

"You need medical attention."

"I need to stop whoever's doing this. If you think I'm just going to sit around while some... some freak is attacking innocent people..."

"The police can take care of it."

"Have they caught him yet?"

"Well, no, but..."

"Then I'll take care of it."

"You can barely stand up."

"Let go." She firmly pushed Takada back, swaying back and forth a bit before steadying out. "See? I'll be fine. I just need to stretch my legs, that's all."

"Are you sure? I mean, you still look a little pale. You've lost a lot of blood and-"

"God DAMN it, Takada," she exploded. "Lying around on my ass isn't going to make me feel any better, it isn't going to stop that maniac and it sure as hell isn't going to bring back my damned eye! Now if you're done trying to babysit me can we please just-" Her anger quickly faded when she realized just how shaken up Takada was by her outburst. "I-I'm sorry," she stammered, covering her face with one hand and turning away to hide her embarrassment. "It's, it's just been a bit of a shock to me and I, uh..."

"No, no," he hastily replied, holding up his hands. "It's okay, I understand. You've been through a lot and, um... I shouldn't be trying to tell you what to do like that."

"No, you're worried about me, and I appreciate it, but... it's just something that I have to do."

Takada looked at her for several seconds before smiling slightly and shaking his head. "...you're too stubborn."

She smiled back at him in kind. "Yeah, I am." With that, she carefully made her way past him towards the door.

"But there's one more thing."

"Yeah?" she asked, stopping and looking over her shoulder at him.

"Your father. Aren't you going to go see him?"

Her smile faded as she turned away. "You know, when I was growing up dad was always there for me. I mean, mom was there for me too, but I guess the things they say about 'daddy's girls' are right, huh?" She wiped her eye with the back of her hand. "He's always been so strong and calm and I guess... I guess I just can't stand to see him otherwise."

---

The next two and a half hours were spent answering the nurse's various questions (no, she wasn't allergic to anything; yes, aside from some slight pain she felt fine; no, she didn't smoke or do drugs), signing stacks of forms and undergoing a final physical wherein the doctor prescribed an assortment of painkillers, antibiotics and ointments for her injuries. Following this, Satsuki and Takada - the former now dressed in a pair of faded khakis two sizes too large and a long-sleeved Yakult Swallows shirt - were finally permitted to leave the hospital.

"Whoever did this could have at least kept my uniform intact," she said, self-consciously adjusting the collar of her shirt. "I must look like a tourist in this outfit."

"It's not that bad," Takada replied. "You should be grateful that they had them on hand, actually."

"At least it covers up the bandages." She stretched her arms overhead, wincing slightly. "Aah, I just want to get home, take a bath and get into some decent clothing."

No sooner did she say that than a long, low growl emanated from her stomach.

"Or we could get you something to eat," Takada suggested.

"...or we could get something to eat. What time is it, anyway?"

Takada looked down at his watch. "About twelve thi- ...aw CRAP, I'm late!"

"Late for what?"

"It's Saturday!"

"So?"

"School?" he said pointedly.

"Takada, it's only half a day." A small smile crossed her lips. "Besides, considering what you've been doing after school, I don't think that they'll hold it against you if you miss a few classes. Come on," she said, grabbing him by the sleeve and gently tugging him behind her as she walked. "I think I know a place around here."

---

"You know, when you said you knew of a restaurant in the area I didn't think that you meant a chain..."

Satsuki glanced up from her beef bowl at Takada. "Wha'd you think I meant?" she asked, scooping a wad of meat and rice into her mouth with her chopsticks.

"I don't know; some out-of-the-way mom-and-pop place, I guess."

She gave a dismissive shrug as she raised the bowl, shoveling the last bits of rice into her mouth before setting it back down inside her first bowl and gingerly wiping her mouth with a napkin.

Takada wanted to ask how it was possible that a girl her size could eat two beef bowls in under ten minutes but decided against it. "Have you figured out just what you're going to do?"

"You mean about the killer?"

He nodded. "How do you plan on finding him? Or her?"

"Well, I'm pretty sure that whoever it is is a girl about my age, so that helps narrow it down a little... hmm..." She rested her head on her hand, staring into space for a moment before looking back at Takada. "Have there been any more killings in the news?"

"Not that I've heard. Whoever it is may have stopped."

"Or they just aren't finding the bodies," she said in a low voice, her thoughts drifting back to that fateful afternoon at the abandoned train station. "Probably isn't even human... but what I don't get is why she didn't kill dad. She had plenty of time..."

"Unless... she didn't plan on killing your father." He leaned in towards Satsuki, gesturing with his index finger. "What if she wasn't after him?"

"But she wasn't, why would she attack him?"

"To get your attention and draw you out."

"Why?"

"Because she knows that you're the only person..." he began.

"...who can 'see' what's going on."

"Right." Takada shook his head. "I still can't get used to that, though. The whole clairvoyance thing, I mean." Lowering his voice, he added, "as if the walking dead were normal."

"It all sounds alright, but... why me?"

"That's, uh..." After a long pause he shook his head. "I have no idea."

"Well, what about that guy in the cape? He had dad when I saw him, so he must've dropped him off at the hospital... but, why?"

"Maybe they're working together."

"So she tries to kill my father to get my attention, then-" Satsuki fell silent as she looked down at her hands, realization dawning on her. "...he was the one who attacked me. He had to have been!"

"You mean you don't even remember?"

She shook her head. "Most of what happened after I got home is a blur, but I definitely don't remember seeing another girl there. Maybe he was covering her retreat or something." She leaned back in the seat and sighed. "Great... I have some vampire zombie queen and her bodyguard trying to kill me and everyone in town for God knows what reason and I don't even know how to begin to stop them." Reaching into her pants pocket, she pulled out her knife and flicked the blade open, holding it up in front of her. "Still... if they do show up, I'll be ready for 'em."

Blog Entries
    Given her behaviour, I have a sudden urge to see Satsuki fight Buffy the Vampire Slayer . . .

Part 5a - Chapter 1

Satsuki reached up and brushed her hair out of her face, flinching slightly as her fingers passed across the gauze covering her eye. "Well, I'm home," she said as she walked up the stone path. "I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm home..."

"Go back to school?"

She came to a halt and turned to face Takada, gesturing to herself. "Like this?"

"No, I mean... you know, in your school uniform."

"You mean the one with skirt that shows off all the bandages I have taped over those gaping wounds on my legs that have been stitched shut?" she queried, an edge of irritation creeping into her voice. "That uniform?"

"Yes, but uh... we could probably get you some slacks or... or something." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm pretty sure that the school would allow it in this case."

Her expression softened and she sighed. "Sorry. Again." She shook her head. "I'm being a real bitch today, aren't I?"

"Considering what happened I don't..." he leaned to the side before stepping around Satsuki, staring at the house. "...wait a minute..." he mumbled, furrowing his brow in thought.

"Hey, Takada, what's wrong?"

"You said someone attacked your father, right?"

"Yeah."

"...and you ran into the house to save him?"

"Well, yeah."

"Do you remember what the inside of it looked like?"

"Umm..." she ummed, thinking back. "I'm not too sure, but when I left I think things were pretty trashed. Why do you ask?"

"Was the front door left open?"

"I don't remember. What's this got to do with anything?"

"Well, if the front door was left open then people could see into the house, which means that they would have found all the signs of a struggle. Now in that case you'd think that someone would've contacted the police, right?"

"Right..."

"So where are they? If not them, then at the very least some police tape or somesuch?"

"Man, that is weird." Glancing up at the house she added, "now that I think about it, mom should've come back home from her business trip by now. Something's seriously wrong, here..." She lowered her head, looking back at the door. "It seems like all I've been doing these days is opening doors that I don't want to open."

"Whoever was in there probably left by now. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?"

Takada immediately found himself regretting asking that question as Satsuki spun around and stared at him for several seconds before vexedly asking, "you do remember what happened last time, right?"

"But if it is another one of those things you'll know what to expect, right?"

"Maybe." Turning away, Satsuki slowly stepped up the path towards the door. "But I'd rather not take my chances against one of them like this." Coming to a halt, she drew her knife from her pocket, flicked it open and spun it around to an underhanded grip in one fluid motion. She laid one hand on the doorknob, glancing back over her shoulder at Takada before turning the knob and pushing the door open, hopping backwards and bringing her knife up at the ready... only to lower it again and stare, dumbfounded at what she saw.

The hallway stretched backwards about twenty feet, the walls painted a light peach and the floor a polished, unblemished dark wood. A small table, topped with several framed photographs, was set against the wall about halfway down the hall. No scratches, no blood, no signs of any struggle.

Satsuki raised her blade again and slowly crept forward into the house. She scanned the rooms for any signs of the vicious struggles, but in vain; everything had been returned to order so thoroughly that even she found herself wondering if the battles had even taken place.

As Takada came in behind her she lowered her arms, bowing her head. After a moment she said softly, "Takada."

"Y-yes?"

"Go home."

He blinked. "What? Why?"

"They tried to kill dad and they tried to kill me, then covered everything up so nobody would know what happened. Whatever's going on, I don't want you getting caught up in it as well. It's between me and them."

Takada frowned. "Satsuki, this isn't-"

"Takada!"

"..."

"...please..."

Saying nothing, he turned and slowly walked out the door as she stood there, motionless, listening to his footsteps fade into the distance.

"I'm sorry Takada," she whispered, "but I don't want to see anyone else get hurt..."

---

Satsuki spent the rest of the afternoon carefully scouring her home in search of any unwanted surprises that may have been left in her absence, and was somewhat relieved - but still unsettled - to discover that everything seemed to be normal, save perhaps for the sudden disappearance of her cat. Odds were that she wasn't even in the house anymore, and Satsuki wasn't in much of a condition or a situation to go look for her.

Exhausted, she sat down on her bed before falling backwards onto her pillow, thinking back to what she said to Takada. She knew that he was worried about her and that he wanted to help, but even if he was okay with being put into dangerous situations, she wasn't, and things were probably going to get worse before they got better.

Forcing herself up into a sitting position, she rubbed the back of her neck, trying to relieve some of the stiffness. Not just her neck; her entire body felt wooden, though she wasn't certain as to whether it was from her injuries or her inactivity.

A soak in the tub might help, she thought to herself. Come to think of it, she couldn't remember the last time she had a hot shower, and while someone may have taken care of it at the hospital for her - the details of which she was thankfully ignorant of - it certainly wouldn't do her any harm. Standing up, she plodded towards the bathroom, pulling her shirt off and tossing it onto the bed as she left.

While she was keenly aware of her injuries, it wasn't until she had shed her clothing and stripped the tape and gauze away that she had a chance to see how bad it really was: Five deep gashes across her legs, another five along her arms and six over her body, all sewn shut with heavy sutures. Despite their severity they seemed to be healing well - the wonders of modern medical science, Satsuki thought dryly - and she hoped that they wouldn't scar too badly. Inspecting her body in the mirror, she lightly brushed her fingers along the cut across her stomach. A fraction of an inch deeper and she would've had to carry her internal organs back to Takada's house. Still, though she still had no memory of the fight, she took a small bit of pride in the fact that none of her injuries were inflicted on her back.

As she looked back up into the mirror she noticed that the dressings covering her left eye were still in place; in the short time that she had been awake she had grown used to their presence. As much as she didn't want to see what was under it, she'd have to take it off eventually.

"It's now or never," she said to herself, and pulled the gauze away.

The flesh around where her eye had been was sunken and slightly reddish, with the lids hanging limp over the dark, empty pit of the socket. Grimacing, she turned away. She had seen worse - heck, she had been worse - but that didn't mean she wanted to keep looking at it. Making a mental note to cover it up first, she pulled the shower curtain away and stepped in.

As the water cascaded down upon her body, she couldn't help but think about how she regarded her injuries with an almost casual resignation. Indeed, most other girls in her situation would probably be inconsolable. Then again, she did have more pressing matters to worry about than a few cuts, to say nothing of the fact that, having been taught how to handle a knife since the tender age of five, a few bruises and scrapes were not only expected but practically inevitable.

Satsuki didn't know where her father learned to fight so well, but she did know that her parents were worried enough about her to want to teach her how to protect herself... though she doubted that they ever expected something like this to happen, even in their wildest nightmares. She also knew that many others in the same situation would have hated it - and did, she thought, remembering bits of overheard conversations in school from classmates with more traditional parents, intent on having their children study kendo. She didn't quite understand why, though. Wouldn't any daughter want to spend time with their dad?

Her dad...

In a way, she was almost grateful that her mom wasn't around; they cared for each other so much that she would have been utterly devastated. Her being gone was only delaying the inevitable, though, and eventually she would return and discover what happened. On the other hand, she was still okay - at least, she assumed she was still okay - precisely because she wasn't here when it happened.

Drying herself off, she was struck by a sudden wave of exhaustion. She didn't know how, but somehow that shower made her feel even more run down. Re-applying her bandages in a fog - and thankful that her mom and dad kept plenty on hand in case of accidents during practice - she barely had enough energy left over to dress herself, pulling on a pair of panties and a t-shirt before collapsing onto her bed and falling into a deep, dreamless sleep.