Page 46 of 131 FirstFirst ... 36414445464748515696 ... LastLast

Thread: That Ever Illusive Utopia

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    Isn't it like Shirou can't materialize Excalibur's secret ingredient, 'Mandkind's Hopes and Dreams'? In comparison, Illya and/or Miyu (in the final chapter of Kaleid/Liner) were able to do so since they're magical girls. You know, mankind's hopes and dreams.

Ah, that was a joke.
    Its actually making sense..
    Support list (it's a big one lol)
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larekko12 View Post
    No I mean aren't they the Same sword in different languages?
    Caliburn is just an older version of the name Excalibur, yes (the French added the "Ex" bit").

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ...So we have the French to thank for passing along the development of their nation's greatest foe's legendary ruler?

History is strange...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it is.

Your avvie made me chuckle.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's meant to, friendly shouta-deer-in-heat.

Blog Entries
    french sword, and saber is now in a french maid-esk get up

full circle. wonder if the others are happy she is working?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratosirving View Post
    ...So we have the French to thank for passing along the development of their nation's greatest foe's legendary ruler?

History is strange...
    Except that Arthur was actually a Welsh King, and fought against the English. Although, then again, by that point in time Wales was part of England, and a large proportion of the longbowmen who caused the French so much trouble were Welsh, so....

In fact, it's true twice over. Arthur is a Welsh hero who the English co-opted when fighting against the Welsh, and then the French took the legend again and published yet another version of it.

Worried Soul That Watches Larekko12's Avatar
    Mikey Double Post.
    Then let it break, if it shatters to pieces then forge an even better blade to take in hand. Should that blade crack then forge once again, untill the battlefield is a graveyard of blades that have fallen and but a single sword claims the field that embodies the world. Let that sword bear the world untill its time comes and time blows its dust to the winds. Then forge again.---Eric Dagger

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mikey Double Post.
    Eh, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Caliburn is just an older version of the name Excalibur, yes (the French added the "Ex" bit").
    Double post.
    Then let it break, if it shatters to pieces then forge an even better blade to take in hand. Should that blade crack then forge once again, untill the battlefield is a graveyard of blades that have fallen and but a single sword claims the field that embodies the world. Let that sword bear the world untill its time comes and time blows its dust to the winds. Then forge again.---Eric Dagger

... Dude, unless a mod came along and deleted even the "deleted post here's why" line, the last one who said anything before Mike was rapebird. Nothing personal, but I'm starting to think you're crazier than I am. And that's not a good thing. I'm only as crazy as I am because my job requires me to think as other people.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Double post.
    You know, it would have been helpful if you'd pointed out which post was doubled the first time....

Sorry thought it was on the same page then reloaded.

Plant Angel From Venus Misheard's Avatar
    Oh, I should probably read the parts of this that don't have Issei in them. /found through a search

...but those parts seemed intriguing~ And Elf knows what I like, hehe.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Inugami's Avatar
    A history of the blade, in the real world: My amateur theory

Excalibur --> Caliburn --> Caladfwlch --> Caladbolg --> Claiomh Solais.

Note the similarity of the names. The first three are explicitly the same sword with names in different languages. So why might Caladfwlch have been the same as the two swords that preceded its generation?

Every one of them, a sword of unstoppable light.

Probably, Arthur only had one sword, from one particular source. Then someone added the story of the stone or the lake, and then later the lake or the stone, and somehow it ended up being two different swords.

I dunno. But my sparse research claimed that the sword from the stone was named Clarent. Also, it might have been a ceremonial device used for knighting rather than warfare.

As for why Saber would prefer Caliburn: On a purely practical level, she can use the sword's power as a Noble Phantasm repeatedly, due to its smaller cost and lack of collateral damage.

On a sentimental level, the sword represented her choice to become king, and her vow to make Camelot a eutopia.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Erm, actually, it's the other way around. Caladfwich is the Welsh name for Caliburn, and thus comes before it. Caladbolg is quite possibly the same sword too, but it doesn't pre-date Caladfwich, but rather would be an alternate Latinisation of it.

And Clarent was not the same sword as Caliburn, but rather a counterpart to Excalibur, and it was indeed used ceremonially.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Misheard View Post
    Oh, I should probably read the parts of this that don't have Issei in them. /found through a search

...but those parts seemed intriguing~ And Elf knows what I like, hehe.
    Yes, you should read the whole dang story!

And actually, I have plans for Issei.

Blog Entries
    Chapter Nine

The King is Not Dead

Archer was currently underneath a nice piece of American engineering, and even though he wasn’t a fan of the Chrysler brand he had to admit the Charger had its charm. Tools were used with almost supernatural efficiency as nuts and bolts were tightened and adjusted. Grease was currently staining his flushed cheeks as he felt more sweat trickle down his skin despite the recent adjustments he had made himself in the garage’s air conditioner. Then again it was quite a lot of hard work to do the sort of modifications that were all but begged from him.

“How is it going, Archer?”

Archer took a towel and wiped a copious amount of grease from his hands before pushing himself from out from under the car. Standing there was one of the few Japanese people who was close to Archer in height. Kimura Seto was dressed in his immaculate pressed blue suit despite the scorching heat outside. “You spoil your younger brother, Seto,” Archer said as he sat up as he looked up at the younger man.

Seto smirked before lifting one hand to adjust his glasses, his blue eyes glinting as they always did when Seto’s younger brother was mentioned. “Isn’t that the job of an onii-chan? To recklessly spoil their younger sibling,” Seto replied with a smile as his eyes swept over the boxy body of the muscle car.

Archer felt his jaw twitch at the other man’s words and looked away. He said, “Something like that.”

“I didn’t mean to touch a nerve. You’re a bit of a man of mystery to us after all,” Seto said as he knelt down closer to Archer’s level with a lopsided smirk and not touching the oil stained concrete underneath him.

Archer stood up and said, “It’s a hobby. Now did you come to talk about Katsu’s new car or did Raiga-dono send you with something else.”

“Fujimura-dono feels that someone is eyeing his interests in Fuyuki and perhaps in all of Japan itself,” Seto said with a frown.

Archer twisted the towel in his hand and asked, “Eyeing how, Seto?”

“Some of our younger, more impressionable members have been drawn away with seemingly more lucrative prospects, and we have no idea what they are,” Seto said with a shake of his head.

Archer looked at the Charger and said, “So this is why you’re spoiling your brother then, Seto? I thought you didn’t want Katsu do have anything to do with this business.”

“I don’t, and he doesn’t,” the other man said in a rather sharp voice as he stood to his feet as well.

Seto might have been a technological genius and a hacker without peer in Fuyuki, but Archer also knew that the man often sparred with Fuji-nee and was a second dan in both aikido and kendo. He was also shrewd and had the sort of coldness to him at times that Rin had fought to keep as a front, but it came naturally to the hacker. Seto adjusted his glasses and said, “I don’t want to remind you that neither Fujimura-dono or yourself would like a conflict that happened over a decade ago or the tragedy that struck a little over a year ago before you appeared to repeat themselves.”

“It’s my job to keep the city clean, and I answer to a higher master than Raiga-dono and he’s fully aware of that,” Archer replied with a smirk.

Seto snorted and said, “Yes, even though I’d doubt your tastes would run that way.”

“So, how’s Hideki then?” Archer replied with raised eyebrows.

A faint flush crossed Seto’s high cheekbones as he replied, “At least Hideki was of legal age when we met.”

“So was Rin, but I don’t need to dignify or defend my relationship to her to some geek who sits behind a computer eight hours a day,” Archer replied with a shrug.

Seto’s smile was all but arctic as he said, “And what about young Ryuudou? You two did seem rather close.”

“I’d break his heart,” Archer said with a smirk, “And he’s not my type anyway. So are you going to give me something more useful than, ‘Watch your back’? Because I have other work I need to do that’s more important than helping an older brother indulge his sibling.”

With that he started to go back under the car again when Seto said, “At least I have a sibling to indulge.”

Archer gritted his teeth and wouldn’t give the other man the satisfaction of shooting another insult. Even after all of this time Ilya was like some giant ache in his chest. He closed his eyes and when he did all he saw was the snow fairy dressed in white smiling sadly at him with tears in her eyes like so many diamonds.

“Maybe you can save the one person you failed.”

Saber.

He continued to work, determined to finish the tune-up before lunch. Minutes slipped into hours and when Archer finally emerged a greased slick mess the sound of motorcycles filled the garage. Young laughter rang out as the three motorcycles’ riders shut off their engines and dismounted. Helmets were pulled off and sat on top of seats of various racing bikes as a young punk with dyed red hair elbowed one of his comrades. “You’re going to lose to Rider again, Daichi,” he said with a grin.

Daichi grinned and said, “Part of the fun with racing with Rider is to watch Rider. Damn, that ass is fine, Taro.”

Taro waved at Archer and said, “Hey, you know Rider pretty well, right? What does she look for in a man?”

“Actually, Rider prefers women,” Archer said with a grin.

Daichi’s face fell and Taro laughed as he pounded his friend on the back. “Sorry Dai-chan, Rider’s not for riding stick,” Taro said with a grin.

The third and previously silent biker shook his head and said in a soft voice, “You two really need to grow up.”

“Oh, come on, like you’re at Glass Slipper every day since that new girl started working there, Ryo,” Taro said with a smirk.

Ryo replied, “So?”

“Never had an idea that you liked foreigners like that, Ryo,” Daichi said with a grin.

Ryo flushed and said, “Saber’s moe. Incrediblely moe . . . So polite and that accent . . .” He sighed, his eyes closing in relish.

Archer stared before mentally shaking himself and said, “Saber’s an odd name.”

“Well, she’s from Wales or something,” Taro said with a shrug, “You know foreigners are weird, Archer-san.”

Saber’s shoulders were aching and her feet were throbbing, but she still had two hours to go before her voluntary ten hour shift was finished. With Hitomi working her last day yesterday and two of the girls calling in sick, both Asuka and the manager were all but on their knees begging her to work extra. When the manager offered Saber both her production pay that was not the docked wages that the waitresses were supposed to make up in tips as well as her tips she quickly accepted the terms.

Eight hours later she regretted her decision.

She grimaced as she rolled her stiff shoulders and her lower back was aching from the slight heels she was to wear with her uniform. Sweat was making the heavy fabric stick unpleasantly to her skin, and the itching it caused made her shoulders twitch ever so slightly. She took a deep breath when the bell above the door chimed, signaling either someone leaving or entering. Taking it was her turn for a table, she made her way to see where the newcomer would sit.

Her breath caught as ice formed in her veins at the all too familiar head of golden hair and crimson eyes that met hers and narrowed. He was exactly as she remembered him, fairly tall, broad shoulders, clean limbs, and oozing arrogance and power from every pore. Except instead of garishly gold armor, he wore and black business suit with a red silk tie that looked as natural on him as the armor did. Perhaps even more so.

It cannot be, Saber thought as she made her way over to the doppelganger of the Archer of the Fourth War. Her palms were sweating against her tray as the golden haired man dropped lazily into the chair with all the grace of a cat. His scowl deepened as his eyes traveled down Saber’s body before to her face again. Heat filled her cheeks as she swallowed and said, “Good Evening, welcome to the Glass Slipper good sir. My name’s Saber and it will be a pleasure to wait on you tonight.”

“How many people have you waited on today, Saber?” was the reply, that arrogant drawl pounding nails into Saber’s ears.

She narrowed her eyes and replied, “That is none of your business. I will serve you because it is my duty to do so, but do not expect anything else of me when you leave these doors.”

“I don’t like others using my property,” he replied as his eyes narrowed even more, the animosity thick upon the air.

Saber tilted her head up and said, “I am no one’s ‘property’.”

“I think I made my claim rather clear a decade ago. I have waited patiently, even despaired when I thought you had escaped me, but I will not wait anymore to claim what is mine,” the King of Heroes said in a whisper.

Saber forced a smile on her face as she felt some of the eyes of the patrons and other maids focus on them. She asked, “What would be your pleasure, Sir? I would recommend the vanilla latté blended with ice and the Mango Bubble Tea is rather delicious as well.” She laid a menu in front of Gilgamesh before taking a step back from him.

Gilgamesh lifted up the menu with a scowl before flipping through it, and glaring at Saber for the briefest of seconds before a jovial smile formed across his features. With a quick flick of the wrist, the menu went skidding to a stop in the center of the table as Gilgamesh continued to smile. He answered, “This fare seems rather insulting to someone much as myself, and it is sad to see you degrading yourself to this level, Saber. However, I will take this Mango Bubble Tea that you highly recommend.”

Saber felt her teeth grind together as she bowed to the arrogant man and said, “It would be my pleasure.” Then she moved as quickly away from Gilgamesh’s table as possible. Her heart was pounding like a drum, threatening to burst out of her chest. The tray was shaking in her hands like a stray leaf as she put in her “patron’s” order.

Asuka was there and asked, “Are you okay?”

“I am well,” Saber said through her clinched teeth.

Asuka looked at the table and gave a low whistle. “You know who that is?” Her voice was higher than normal and her eyes bright.

A man who almost killed me and then proposed to me? A megalomaniac? The King of Heroes, Gilgamesh himself. Oh yes, Asuka. I know who he is, she thought, but did not utter a word. Instead she shook her head and answered, “A foreigner, his Japanese was hideously accented, even more so than mine.”

Asuka blinked and stared at Saber as if another head had erupted from her shoulders. Askua said, “That’s Gil King, the CEO of Golden Rule! You know, currently the fastest growing company like ever!”

“I did not know that,” Saber said as ice crept over her, filling and steadying her hands. That does not bode well, she thought, But it is not my responsibility to stop him. I am not a King. I have no kingdom. I am a young woman working to make ends meet and help the people kind enough to give me aid.

Askua nodded and said, “Damn, I wish it would have been my turn to take him.”

No you do not, Saber thought. Instead she said, “I will not have trouble handling him. I treat all of my patrons the same. I do not give special treatment unless the manager is paid for such things.”

“Man, I wish I had that fortitude,” Askua said with a giggle, “I’d be on my knees in a second.”

Saber took the Mango Bubble Tea that appeared in the window and said, “And that would just disgust him.”

Saber was glad to be in her street clothing again as she began her walk home from the Glass Slipper to Shirou and Sakura’s home. Night had already fallen, coating Fuyuki in its wake. She knew better to tarry on the streets at night, and with the appearance of Gilgamesh her composure was rattled. There would have been no way for him to survive so long without a Master, no way at all. Not to mention Ilya and Sakura had closed down the Grail for good, and unless another Grail appeared out of nowhere the Servant system was broken save for Sakura still supporting Rider.

She hurried her steps, looking over her shoulder to make sure she wasn’t being followed. She did not want to lead Gilgamesh to Shirou and Sakura. The pair did not deserve that sort of torment, but her mind boggled at the fact that it had indeed been that Archer. Brash, arrogant, and with the power to put force behind his words, Gilgamesh had been a nightmare during the Fourth War despite Iri and Kiritsugu being a proper Master. Well, proper in the fact he could support her with plenty of prana, even though his methods were deplorable to Saber.

Saber hit the button for the crosswalk and was all but rocking back and forth on her feet for it to change. Right as the light changed an all too familiar form matched her step. Ice slid down her spine again as Gilgamesh’s hand closed around her forearm. His crimson eyes bore into her and he said, “What do you think you are doing?”

She jerked her arm away from him and he smirked. He leaned forward and his breath was hot against her ear and neck. “This behavior isn’t becoming you Saber. I think it would be in your interests to follow me,” he said in a low voice.

She gritted her teeth and asked, “What do you want?”

“For you to come with me somewhere more private so we can talk,” he said as he straightened to his full height.

Saber looked across the street and replied, “I would rather not.”

“And endanger those people you’re living with? The misbegotten attempt for a grail and her impotent magus of a lover would not be able to lift a finger towards me before I would have them on the ground and dead,” Gilgamesh said with a smile.

She met his eyes and said, “You wouldn’t. Sakura still has her Servant.”

“That whore? I would give her a better death than she deserves,” Gilgamesh said as he folded his arms across his chest.

Saber bit her lip, wondering if she should mention Archer. No. I cannot, I am not leaving Sakura and Shirou without his protection, Saber thought. Even though it seemed that Shirou and Archer tolerated very little of each other, Saber had a feeling that Archer would strive to keep her former Master’s alive simply for Rin’s sake.

Saber bit her lip and felt her shoulders slump in surrender. Bile rose in her throat as she asked, “Where would you like to go?”

“Come on, Saber,” he said, simply ignoring her question as he snapped his fingers and started walking. She was quiet as she followed him with her fists clinched at her side. Curses filled her mind about how she was utterly defenseless as he had a whole armory to call upon whenever he wanted. The two of them walked silently to an area that seemed vaguely familiar to Saber. She frowned at the park where their last battle had taken place and the emptiness of the lot around her.

Once they were there, Gilgamesh turned to face her and white teeth were bared in a silent snarl towards her. Saber swallowed and asked, “What is it?”

“You are mine. I am not allowing you to service random mongrels when you should be submitting to me,” he said in a low, harsh voice.

Saber said, “I am no more interested in submitting to you as I was ten years ago.”

Gilgamesh smirked and said, “Then take your sword and come at me.”

“No,” she said, not wanting him to know that she abandoned her sword.

He threw back his head and laughter shook the sky as he raised his hand and snapped his fingers. Saber froze as a red haze appeared behind him that he reached his hand into, causing it to ripple like crimson water. He pulled out a gleaming, silver blade that he suddenly swung at her.

The movement was telegraphed and poorly executed. Even unarmed, Saber had no problem dodging the blow. He took a step forward and thrust out. Again, she moved, spinning her body away from the blade. “Enough games,” he said with a growl as the red mist behind him filled with swords.

Her eyes widened as there was a click before the swords shot at her. With a cry she forced prana through her muscles to weave and roll through the barrage. Metal clanged with earth and scraped with more metal, sending sparks as tiny puffs of air were sliding across her skin and clothing. More and more swords came down at her, but at a rate she could somewhat dodge.

Behind her she felt a presence loom and she spun around to see Gilgamesh grab her right as she dodged some unknown sword. His face was crimson and his eyes all but glowing as his hands roughly gripped her shoulders. “Pathetic,” he said with a sneer before shoving her back.

Saber cried out as she was propelled past the swords in the ground and hitting grass herself. Air was forced out of her lungs when she landed hard and her body convulsed at the impact. She coughed as she scrambled to take to her feet, but Gilgamesh was looming before her. He pressed her back to the ground and she gasped, trying to take air into her burning lungs.

“Pathetic, like some common whore, selling yourself when you should be mine. Since you’ve become quite the whore, I think I shall use you and take my leave. After all, you’ve become below my notice now,” he said with narrowed eyes as he held her against the ground with one hand and the other lifting her shirt.

Saber froze, every muscle locking in place as that unfamiliar ice washed over her again and again. Her heart pounded as she felt herself shaking ever so slightly as his fingers brushed against bared skin. No, her mind shouted at her, no! “No,” she said, her voice a rasp as the voice in her head spilled from her lips, “No!”

Her small hands began to push at him, before she formed a fist and pounded it against his back. He laughed and said, “Why not draw your sword and run me through, Saber? Do you not have it anymore? What a pathetic king you are.”

Tears burned her eyes as his legs lodged between hers, forcing them apart. Saber tried to push herself away, but he was larger than her and more powerful. Memories she had shared with Sakura flashed through her mind, preparing her for what was coming next.

Except one moment Gilgamesh was on top of her and the next he was beside her in a crouch and a smoking sword was still glowing red hot mere centimeters from Saber’s feet. Saber pushed herself up as Gilgamesh shouted, “Who dares!”

Saber stared as a familiar, white haired man emerged from the treeline with his steel colored eyes narrowed at Gilgamesh. That infuriating smirk crossed his lips as his black falchion pointed at the King of Heroes. Archer said in his normal sardonic voice, “An idiot.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Yessss....

All I can say is:

Emiya Shirou
    Big Damn Hero

Blog Entries

No you do not, Saber thought. Instead she said, “I will not have trouble handling him. I treat all of my patrons the same. I do not give special treatment unless the manager is paid for such things.”

“Man, I wish I had that fortitude,” Askua said with a giggle, “I’d be on my knees in a second.”

Saber took the Mango Bubble Tea that appeared in the window and said, “And that would just disgust him.”

...the hell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.