Page 316 of 371 FirstFirst ... 216266306311314315316317318321326366 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 7408

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Blog Entries
    Okay... back with a status report. I've been waylaid a lot since my last message... and I hope to be back on track for the new year (if not sooner).
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Okay... back with a status report. I've been waylaid a lot since my last message... and I hope to be back on track for the new year (if not sooner).
    Good to know - and I've thought of a slight variation of my previous snippet, going from "Sehanine, feel up for trying a little reincarnation . . .?"

Arvandor
    The Olympian Glades of Arborea, the Outer Planes

Lips as pink as the dawn sky parted in a smile, as their owner took in the sight before them.

“Oh, yes,” purred the lady in a warm, smoky voice. “This will serve quite well.”

”Glad you like it,” Hanali said brightly. “I thought Sehanine and I did a pretty good job, considering that Labelas insisted we keep him human.”

“He does work with humans—and mortals do find sudden shifts in their species disturbing to their psyches,” the god of time pointed out.

The golden-haired goddess pouted.

“And those humans are of particular interest to me, operating as they do within my realm,” the lady murmured. “As such, I believe an emissary to be of necessity; and as this mortal presently lacks power, I doubt he will refuse the position . . .”

Kurai’s first thought, upon awakening, was that he was surprised to be alive.

His second thought, on hearing what sounded like Kate Mulgrew’s voice, was that he had somehow been transported to the Federation starship Voyager (God help him).

When the source of the voice stepped into view, revealing a six-foot-tall woman with silver-white hair and green eyes with slit pupils, he was momentarily puzzled . . . And then, the fact that he was still coming out of an unconscious state—where his subconscious had greater influence—allowed him to make the connection.

Of course, it also allowed him to make the following statement.

“If you’re looking for a new Summer Knight, or someone to kill Harry Dresden, NOT IT!

Queen Titania smiled, and the expression was not reassuring. “So you know me, and are aware of at least one of my incarnations—good. That will make this far easier.”

“. . . And now I’m confused.”

“It’s quite simple,” the Sidhe Queen of the Summer Court replied. “I am Titania, Queen of the Seelie Court, and goddess among the fae—and as fae, more fluid than most divinities. Wheresoever ‘Titania’ dwells, in any realm or reality, there too is some shadow of myself.” She smiled again. “I did consider assuming the green-skinned and pink-haired appearance more common to this voice, ‘twas my belief that this visage would be more familiar to you.”

Kurai blinked. Titania was multiverse-aware? That . . . Well, OK, it wasn’t that surprising—even in D&D, there were three different versions of Titania to choose from. The idea of their being aspects of a greater whole would reconcile the differences . . .

“Your mortal compatriots are based within my realm,” Titania continued, tilting her head thoughtfully. “. . . I cannot fault your Emiya boy for following his passions; in many ways, it’s—admirable.

The purr in her voice just made the statement that much more disturbing.

“However,” she continued, “I believe that your basing yourselves within Avalon’s shadow requires oversight. And as my people have withdrawn from that Earth, I am compelled to find a proxy . . . Would you be interested in such a position?”

“. . . And what would that entail?” Kurai asked carefully.

The grin returned, and it only heightened her resemblance to a cat.

“Have you never heard of a warlock before . . .?”

Writer's Notes: Specifically, (5th-edition) Warlock of the Archfey . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    *blinks*

*blinks again*

*blinks a third time*

Come again? You want to make Kurai a 5e character this time around?

EDIT: ...perhaps I should rephrase that last line of mine. What I meant was, more or less, "Seriously?! You want to turn Kurai into a Warlock associated with the Fey?!"

Now, granted, that's a decent idea on paper. However, in practice, the Fey are nowhere near the mental presence of humans... they're more dangerous and Chaotic for a good reason. Of course, as we both should know the reason, I don't think I should say what that is at this point.

EDIT 2: On a side note, Kieran, I figured I'd give you a way to help with some of the critiquing for the first official story of my idea: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...VptR9BB1jFPpCg

Hope it helps you out in regards to Valkyria Chronicles and how I (eventually) intend to tell the story.
    Last edited by Xamusel; November 28th, 2017 at 10:20 PM.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    *blinks*

*blinks again*

*blinks a third time*

Come again? You want to make Kurai a 5e character this time around?
    Well, it's the currently-supported line, and it would fall in line with your character . . . *Shrugs* My only other idea would be to redesign the druid as a legal 3.5 character.

EDIT: ...perhaps I should rephrase that last line of mine. What I meant was, more or less, "Seriously?! You want to turn Kurai into a Warlock associated with the Fey?!"
    Given that he's been stripped of the druid persona, he needs to get power from somewhere; the Summer Court isn't a bad place for it (or at least, is less objectionable than most). It gives him an "official" reason to be there, and given Titania's soft spot for children, partnering Kurai with Miyu or Kuro would be more explicable . . . Or one of the Fae-blessed Servants, I suppose.

Now, granted, that's a decent idea on paper. However, in practice, the Fey are nowhere near the mental presence of humans... they're more dangerous and Chaotic for a good reason. Of course, as we both should know the reason, I don't think I should say what that is at this point.
    I'm not sure I fully understand . . .

I may have confused you, though: this is the Titania of Forgotten Realms he's dealing with - she just happens to look like the Dresden Files version, and sound like the one from Disney's Gargoyles. Although, as she said, to some extent, they're all her, so her appearance, personality, and reactions may change from world to world . . .

EDIT 2: On a side note, Kieran, I figured I'd give you a way to help with some of the critiquing for the first official story of my idea: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...VptR9BB1jFPpCg

Hope it helps you out in regards to Valkyria Chronicles and how I (eventually) intend to tell the story.
    It's a long-term project, to go through all that - so we'll see.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Well, it's the currently-supported line, and it would fall in line with your character . . . *Shrugs* My only other idea would be to redesign the druid as a legal 3.5 character.
    True... wait, hold up, 'legal' 3.5e character?

Given that he's been stripped of the druid persona, he needs to get power from somewhere; the Summer Court isn't a bad place for it (or at least, is less objectionable than most). It gives him an "official" reason to be there, and given Titania's soft spot for children, partnering Kurai with Miyu or Kuro would be more explicable . . . Or one of the Fae-blessed Servants, I suppose.
    True, I guess... still, the chaotic nature of the fae is hard to deny that it'd be difficult to work with them.

I'm not sure I fully understand . . .

I may have confused you, though: this is the Titania of Forgotten Realms he's dealing with - she just happens to look like the Dresden Files version, and sound like the one from Disney's Gargoyles. Although, as she said, to some extent, they're all her, so her appearance, personality, and reactions may change from world to world . . .
    ...well, crap. I don't really know that much about Titania, to be fair. I wasn't aware that there were multiple versions of her in all media... wait, back up a bit, is she fem!Zelretch?! :O

It's a long-term project, to go through all that - so we'll see.
    That's all I ask... thanks.

Blog Entries
    True... wait, hold up, 'legal' 3.5e character?
    Well, if you check his character sheet, you'll see that he has a number of bonuses and abilities that aren't, strictly speaking, found within the typical rules. It worked for the campaign we were running at the time - and even these are an adaptation of the original 3rd edition version - but if I were to align him within the standard rules, he'd be very different.

True, I guess... still, the chaotic nature of the fae is hard to deny that it'd be difficult to work with them.
    Depends on the definition (and degree) of "chaotic." The Fae value freedom, but (traditionally) are also bound by any number of rules; they may be nonsensical rules, but they're still bound by them.

...well, crap. I don't really know that much about Titania, to be fair. I wasn't aware that there were multiple versions of her in all media...
    As with many mythological characters, she has a "classic" set of traits, with wildly varying interpretations . . . For clarity's sake, this is who appears in the scene - but she sounds like this version. . . . Sadly, I couldn't find a decent audio file.

wait, back up a bit, is she fem!Zelretch?! :O
    Nah - I maintain that Zelretch is actually Puck.

That's all I ask... thanks.
    You're welcome.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    ...oh brother. Is Puck able to be summarized easily on this forum?

Blog Entries
    The literary/mythological Puck is a brownie/hobgoblin: a helpful house-spirit, or one that plays pranks - curdling milk and the like. Shakespeare's version is a "knavish, cunning rogue," but not strictly malicious; indeed, he can often be helpful to humans, if properly invoked or placated. The latter version has become more the accepted view, since Shakespeare's time.

. . . And amusingly, he's been voiced by Brent Spiner in any recent appearance.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    ...who's Brent Spiner?

He's a wobot.

Blog Entries
    ...okay, I'm confused, really.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ...okay, I'm confused, really.
    He's Data. Hes also the crazy doctor from independence day.

Blog Entries
    ...oh! (/)_-) I should've seen that sooner.

Thanks, Vigilantia, for sharing that he's Data.

Blog Entries
    Okay, new status report, guys... sorta waiting on Kieran to change his SI's origin story before I get to writing mine even remotely to completion. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Blog Entries
    Ugh... what's wrong with this picture? I feel like I've been waiting nearly forever for the switch from Kurai's current incarnation to the new one... this sucks.

So, to offset the lack of discussion since the last time, I have to ask: regarding character ideas, which sounds better, me using the current idea of a Rogue from a homebrew campaign or me using one of my older ideas? I actually have a list of the ideas somewhere... if only I can find it.

Blog Entries
    Ugh... what's wrong with this picture? I feel like I've been waiting nearly forever for the switch from Kurai's current incarnation to the new one... this sucks.
    Still hammering out issues - sorry.

So, to offset the lack of discussion since the last time, I have to ask: regarding character ideas, which sounds better, me using the current idea of a Rogue from a homebrew campaign or me using one of my older ideas? I actually have a list of the ideas somewhere... if only I can find it.
    The former sounds simpler; it gives you a sufficient base to build on, without being too overpowered to start with.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Okay... this actually sucks because I'm still in the middle of researching the needed materials for my additions to the Grail Works. It's gonna take a lot of work, I think, before I finish even the first story arc of my character's story.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    My personal suggestion is to ditch OCs. D&D OCs butcher stories in my firsthand experience.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaM View Post
    My personal suggestion is to ditch OCs. D&D OCs butcher stories in my firsthand experience.
    ...what firsthand experience? I'm honestly confused (and curious).

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I used a D&D character in a fanfic and he fit the setting so poorly that he made all the characters behave ooc just because of his presence. I rewrote his scenes with a character from the series itself much later, and it just worked much better. You should stop using this ever-distant utopiOC as an excuse, and just write a fanfic with the characters from the series you want to use. And unless the Grail Works crew is going to Greyhawk, Eberron, the Forgotten Realms, or some other Wizards of the Coast setting, leave D&D as far away as possible.

Unless you're doing a crack piece like Dead in the Water, where I intentionally used Deadpool because he would fit the setting so poorly.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.