Page 122 of 302 FirstFirst ... 2272112117120121122123124127132172222 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    altria
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Any problems that i use Altria over Arturia? just wondering.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't matter too much, IMO. Just go with what sounds better to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Idaho View Post
    Any problems that i use Altria over Arturia? just wondering.
    Besides the fact it sounds a lot worse and is a lot less popular, no there is no real difference.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    It's not really a problem, just opinions. Altria is used in CM text (so a canon source), Artoria is how they pronounce it in Japanese and closer to the name Nasu was playing off of (so canon source), Arturia is just how a lot of people are used to it being rendered and thus personally prefer (so not canon, but a popular choice).

Oh i see, well i am going to keep using either, Altria rolls easier of my tongue than Arturia.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I wasn't really trying to start an argument about which one is correct*, just pointing out it's silly to criticize that one guy when he's more correct than 99% of the fanbase.

*lie

I'm going to tear apart a bit those stories. Well, mainly the last one. Fate of the dragon and Finale of the Dark Ballad are hardly a fic, when both have just the prologue, and Minuet of the Cursed Fate is the last part of the story. A story we don't know anything, except that it contains Saber x Dracula/Mathias Cronqvist. In Minuet, on the other hand, we have a shoehorned Soma in name and powers only (and that's not completely true, but I'll be more specific later), who is somehow childhood with Rin (Mina being replaced by Rin, it seems, and Shirou being definitely replaced by Soma, even when he is present in the story) and Shirou, a magus (canon Soma is just a normal young man until he enters in Dracula's Castle, where he discovers his powers) and living in Fuyuki. The Hakuba family, pretty important in the destruction of Dracula, doesn't appear so far.

Soma, somehow, manages to, without even having the command seals yet, overpower Avalon when it comes to summon Saber (probably because in the first of the three fics, Mathias and Arturia are in love, and sorry Koto, but Altria sounds awful), who inmediatly recognizes Soma as someone related to MAthias at the very least, if not the Mathias (well, he is). We also have Rin summoning an OC based, if I understood the author right, in Lord of Shadows Alucard, as Avenger (blame Dracula for Avenger to become a normal class), and someone had summoned CCC Bathory as Lancer. No, I'm not joking with Dracula being at fault with the whole Avenger thing.

The author, in the author notes of the first chapter, has also said that don't worry, Shirou is going to have his own love interest and Servant as one of the most famous characters of the Castlevania saga (I'm still saying is going to be Maria Renard, yet again kicking canon again, what's with here being in love with Alucard and all that), even when the guy has enough LI in the original novel to not require another one, even when Soma has managed to steal two of his. Yep, Rin is, I fear, infatuated with Soma, if I have to believe her tsundere outburst.

The idea is interesting, don't take me wrong, and the concept is ambitious, but the execution is... well, not exactly bad, but not good. Again, my main concern is the last fic, the other two I can hardly make a review or a complain, but the third one managed to get my dislike in just one chapter. Then I proceeded to read the second one. I disliked it even more. Soma, somehow, taps on the powers of Dracula just because Lancer is attacking Saber, with Saber having hardly any difficult to repel Lancer, while in the canon of Castlevania he needed to be in Dracula's Castle, with the seal weakening, being threatened by monsters and he had to kill one monster to begun to tap in said powers.

I'm not sure if I want to read the third chapter. This is the case when a story promises much, and fails to deliver. It's not bad. Not completely, at least, but it's not even close to be as good as it should, with characters with so much potential as the ones the author is using. And the OC comes from fucking nowhere, what's with Castlevania having so many characters to use without the need of OCs.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

The only part i disagree is on the OC, he was given a description based on Alucard of Mirror of Fate (the 3DS castlevania game) it could be Gabriel Belmont.

And for Dracula well he is a master sorcerer in cannon castlevania, it is not a stretch to think he can taint the grail, given that if all it took was Avenger to taint it.

Blog Entries
    And for Dracula well he is a master sorcerer in cannon castlevania, it is not a stretch to think he can taint the grail, given that if all it took was Avenger to taint it.
    "All Evils of the World" isn't enough for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    It's canon, not cannon. Cannons are weapons.

And yes, all it took was All Evils of the World to corrupt the Grail.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    Not to defend the fic or anything, but wasn't Dracula supposed to be like the source of all evil in the Castlevania-verse (and hence all the talk about needing a Dark Lord for balance in the Sorrow games)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAIZA View Post
    Not to defend the fic or anything, but wasn't Dracula supposed to be the source of all evil in the Castlevania-verse (and hence all the talk about needing a Dark Lord for balance in the Sorrow games)?
    He's not the source of evil, he's the entity that stands opposite to God. And while there will always be someone taking that role, it doesn't have to be him.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    Something like that, it's been years since I played them. My point was, wouldn't that make him an equivalent enough?

Blog Entries
    Something like that, it's been years since I played them. My point was, wouldn't that make him an equivalent enough?
    If he got absorbed by the Grail somehow, I could buy it. (Since he does carry the role of representing the world's evils.)

But on just his magical talent? Not really. He's never really shown to be all that amazing at magic.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not really. It was Avenger's unique nature as a heroic spirit that allowed the grail to be corrupted in the first place, here is a quote explaining it.

Q: I thought that the Lesser Grail collected “All the World’s Evil (Angra Mainyu)” when it was defeated during the Third Holy Grail War, but then how was the Greater Grail corrupted by “All the World’s Evil (Angra Mainyu)”? Is it because energy flows from the Lesser Grail to the Greater Grail when the two are linked?

A: It’s because Avenger himself is “a Heroic Spirit born into existence according to people’s wishes”. Other Heroic Spirits are recognized as true heroes, but Avenger represents the belief that “heroes” are lies and fabrications. The enshrinement of humanity’s selfish desires turned Avenger into a Heroic Spirit, creating a direct connection to the wish-granting function of the Holy Grail. The Greater Grail, “activated 3 times without granting anyone’s wishes”, turned into its present state as there was still a chance to grant somebody’s wish. As a result, Avenger was born into this world in order to grant everybody’s desire for an existence like “All the World’s Evil (Angra Mainyu)”.
    Last edited by Knick; September 19th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    It's canon, not cannon. Cannons are weapons.

And yes, all it took was All Evils of the World to corrupt the Grail.
    I am not exactly well versed on the third war, aside avenger being angra and unusual he only represented the evils world he was not them, somehow the grail mistook his soul for that of a human and tries to accomplish said wish, my point being all it took was a flaw in the system to create such a corruption, Dracula is old, a genius, a master alchemist and a master magi possible sorcerer, it is not a stretch to think he found a flaw in the system, remember he has death on his side which could be either a god or a degraded being.

Checking some of your earlier posts, no talent on magic? he created twice a curse that lasted a number of years and even affected Trevor Belmont, he then managed to achieve immortality by making Castlevania appear every 100 years and thus resurrecting him, he outsmarted a being far older than him when he was Mathias Cronqvist and became a vampire, he is an accomplished summoner, he knows how to change shapes.

And thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by Duncan Idaho; September 19th, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    Like I said, not defending the fic, just pointing that out.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like I said, not defending the pic, just pointing it out.
    And I was just correcting you so ya knew in the future. Not trying to be a dick or anything, just clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

Blog Entries
    +0/green-text rec at all three of Cosmic Compiler's Fate/Castlevania crossovers

The Castlevania crosses are interesting ideas in theory, but I can't really say they're worthy of a recommendation when they are each only a chapter long and come at three different points in the same, larger story.

Trilogies are usually written chronologically, but all three threads are running simultaneously. I'm not saying concurrent stories can't work, but it's jarring and nonsensical. We know how these stories are slated to end by the way the next installment starts. Again, there's nothing wrong with a predetermined conclusion. We all knew how Zero had to end, but it was a great ride. I guess what I'm trying to say is that any given idea can be made to work well, so I don't want to say Idea X or Style X is doomed to failure. But this odd sense of telling all three parts of the trilogy doesn't do Cosmic Compiler any favors. It's bizarre and disjointed.

It's also too soon to tell how good or bad these things are going to be. The combined cosmology could be interesting (in spite of fudging the timeline with things like the 3rd Grail War in 1999), but it's really too soon to tell. The writing style is serviceable but doesn't really blow me away at this point.

All in all, there's not much to say at this point, but I'll say it anyway because I think these recommendations are wildly premature.