Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Bono [Kirei vs. Kiritsugu, Phoenix Wright Style]

Anti-Bono [Kirei vs. Kiritsugu, Phoenix Wright Style]

Author Notes: This nonsense owes its existence to Raven2785's suggestion in another thread. Blame him for what follows.

Part 1 of 2 [Here]
    Part 2 of 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-Bono

I opened the courtroom doors, inhaling the sweet scents of polished wood and fear.

Papers shuffled. The judge shifted in his seat, which creaked. A spectator coughed. It was that young reporter again; the one who always railed about corruption and judicial favoritism. So much moral outrage. Anguish. Poor, poor Mr. Velvet.

I straightened my cuffs, and savored the Dormeuil fabric’s texture against my fingertips. I’d chosen a dark red tie for the occasion. An apt choice for the bloodletting that would follow.

I spared a nod to the bench. Judge Archibald nodded back. His powdered wig sank a little forward as he did so. I’d never quite understood why he chose to dress like that. Extreme traditionalism, perhaps. That would certainly explain his numerous attempts to reintroduce public flogging…if only the killjoys on the Second Circuit would stop overruling him.

Never mind. Traditionalism worked rather well in this case.

I glanced at my client.

Tokiomi smiled back at me. It was a tense smile, narrow and nervous. As usual, he’d dressed like a cross between a leisure suit aficionado and a Southern planter. He wore his burgundy-colored velvet suit and a black string necktie. His goatee betrayed its fifteen minutes of daily trimming.

“Kirei,” Tokiomi said. “You’re—Oh, thank the Roo-“

“Not another word. Seriously.”

I hadn’t charged him a penny. It had been a major concession on my part. While I didn’t need the money, watching Tokiomi squirm to the soles of his miserly feet would have been delectable. But not this time. Alas. No, I had a bigger fish to fry. This case would be its own reward.

Across the aisle, Kiritsugu stared me down with those dead-looking eyes. Cold and black. I felt the slightest spark of pleasure when I saw the clammy skin, stubble, and heavy bags under Kiritsugu’s eyes. Years of defense work followed by evening pro-bono for low-income clients had taken its toll.

He patted a pale, decaying-looking man next to him on the shoulder. I knew the man well: Kariya Matou. Kiritsugu’s newest charity case – err, client. Disease had already leached the pigment from his hair.

“Good morning, Mr. Emiya,” I said.

Kiritsugu scowled.

I could even see Kiritsugu’s brood in the back row – the red-headed boy and the albino. The boy sat upright. Patient. Quiet. The girl poked him every time he looked away. But he wouldn’t take his eyes off his father. Oh, no. Mustn’t miss a second of Papa’s triumph.

Heh.

Heheheh.

Mmmh….

Judge Archibald banged his gavel, and gave another periwigged nod. He stood. We rose with him. I could taste it now – the sweet tang of approaching battle.

“Mr. Emiya?" Judge Archibald said.

Kiritsugu Emiya cleared his throat. Oh, by all means…go ahead. Dance for me, Emiya.

“Your Honor,” he said. “I have already admitted Zouken Matou’s will into evidence. The Matou Estate, including the land boundary that Mr. Tohsaka incorrectly claims passed directly to—“

Au contraire, Mr. Emiya,” I said. “Zouken purchased that land in the eighteenth century. By any reasonable definition of ‘life’, Mr. Matou has been a walking corpse for at least a hundred years. Willing the land to Kariya might raise issues under the Rule Against Perpetuities—“

“Tokiomi wouldn’t have a claim either!”

I fought down the giddy flutter in my stomach, and its corresponding urge to cackle.

“Nonsense,” I said. “Tokiomi’s family – none of whom, incidentally, are undead worm-people –“

“Your Honor,” Kiritsugu said. “I object to opposing counsel’s characterization of appendageless-Americans.”

“Overruled,” Kayneth sniffed. “In my day, we didn’t give civil liberties to those sorts of…people.”

I smiled up at the judge.

Precisely, your Honor,” I said. “Where was I?”

“Worm people.”

I drank in the sight of Kiritsugu’s tightening fists and clenched jaw. It was like sipping fine wine.

“Ah, yes,” I said. “Worm people. In any event, Tokiomi Tohsaka’s family used the disputed land for recreational purposes since the first Heaven’s Feel. As His Honor is surely aware, such continuous, open, and notorious use of the property – when combined with other factors you’ll see in my brief –“

Kiritsugu’s chair squealed as he pushed it out to stand.

“My client has been suffering from a debilitating disease!” Kiritsugu shouted. “How does the Court expect him to pay attention to running his estate when he’s in that condition? For the love of…he’s being eaten alive!

Kayneth frowned.

“Sit down, Mr. Emiya.”

Kiritsugu sat. He glared daggers across the aisle.

Kayneth turned to me with a sigh.

“Mr. Kotomine,” Kayneth said. “Your brief is noted. Unfortunately, certain other factors mentioned in Mr. Emiya’s brief – which certainly do not include the natural outcomes of Kariya Matou’s own irresponsible life choices -- have forced me to reluctantly incline toward his arguments. Very reluctantly. If you have anything else…”

Judge Archibald’s expression looked uncannily similar to Rin’s during the holiday season -- every year, hoping against hope that I hadn’t convinced Tokiomi to buy her more school notebooks for Christmas.

“I do, Your Honor,” I said.

“Go on.”

I nodded to Tokiomi. He opened his suitcase with pair of clicks, and withdrew a white glove and a piece of parchment. With the smooth poise of an actor, he strode up to Kariya Matou and presented him with the tokens.

Kiritsugu snatched the parchment. As he read it, his brows furrowed.

“Ahem…” I said. “As the Court is doubtless aware, the English common law recognized trial by combat in land disputes.”

“What?!” Kiritsugu said.

“Now, my opponent will probably try to argue that the Wager of Battle was abolished,” I said. “And it was. In Britain. But that wasn’t until Ashford v. Thornton in 1819 – long after the American colonies separated. And since the Constitution retained all rights traditionally enjoyed by British subjects…”

I let the words linger in the air. Kiritsugu’s mouth hung open. Kariya Matou’s shoulders sagged. He went into another fit of coughing up blood. Oh, how I wished it could last forever.

“…my client, Tokiomi Tohsaka, demands his Constitutional right to trial by battle,” I finished.

Judge Archibald’s eyes had widened into miniature bowling balls. He was practically drooling.

“Granted,” he said.

“That…that’s ridiculous!” Kiritsugu shouted.

“That, Mr. Emiya,” I said with a grin, “is the law.”
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; June 17th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Wow, you're ON FIRE this week...

Also, I don't think anyone comes close to making insane crossovers work like you do. Most of your choice of xovers have no reason being together, but you just make them meld like P&J. Its mesmerizing.
    Last edited by chew; June 15th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.

You cited the Rule against Perpetuities in a fanfic!
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Blog Entries
    Good God man, this was amazing. It would only be better if it had actual "OBJECTION!!!" Speech bubbles thrown around.

My hat's off to you good sir. This was silly and enjoyable at the same time, wouldn't mind seeing a part 2.

Work my newly discovered powers of suggestion, Work!!!

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    The fuck am I reading and I want more.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Something tells me that Tokiomi isn't going to make it to the duel on account of being shot in the face the previous night.

Blog Entries
    Entertaining read indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    Something tells me that Tokiomi isn't going to make it to the duel on account of being shot in the face the previous night.
    At which point Kirei will revel at how his adversary was forced to abandon his beloved principles of winning fairness and justice through the legal system and descend into common vigilantism in order to protect an innocent man. First he beats him in court, then forces him into the crudity of violence. It's positively a red-letter day!
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Subscribed. SO hard.
    My Job Description
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    When Agailius thinks your idea is really really stupid, you know you've screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    QFT
    Wuddat?
    My Job Description
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    When Agailius thinks your idea is really really stupid, you know you've screwed up.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    At which point Kirei will revel at how his adversary was forced to abandon his beloved principles of winning fairness and justice through the legal system and descend into common vigilantism in order to protect an innocent man. First he beats him in court, then forces him into the crudity of violence. It's positively a red-letter day!
    Kirei Wins! Flawless Victory!

As American as a foreign immigrant EnigmaticFellow's Avatar
    I'm posting here just to state how much I like this little one-shot. Also, got to love Kayneth's schtick with traditions.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Somehow, he manages to defy all odds and deny this fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    If only I could be respected without having to be respectable.

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?
    Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    This needs to be its own universe.

I'm imagining Kotomine like Edgeworth here. Before he reformed.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Mandatory.

"Believe in your heart, reaching to the shining sun, now for the sake of grasping victory!"
    Necowain the II
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhance View Post

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

You just wait, Kotomine. Young Shirou is watching... and learning.

and Kayneth with a barrister's wig ahahaha

Blog Entries
    Why is Mr. Poker-Face I-never-show-emotion-save-for-when-I'm-with-Iri-or-when-Saber-makes-me-butthurt-on-that-on-occassion Good-luck-trying-to-get-an-emotional-response-out-of-me Emiya Kiritsugu getting so flustered by Kirei's comments and arguments?
    I know that Kirei The Troll is always entertaining, especially in a situation where he plays the lawyer ( and I need to commend the author on the funny/interesting premise and a solid execution of the said premise ), but to make Kiritsugu act OOC for the sake of Kirei triumphing is...

Still, the snippet was pretty good and I'd like to read more.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I'm really not sure if Kiritsugu was in character. He lost his temper far too quickly.

Enjoyed it all the same. Looking forward to more.