Page 50 of 302 FirstFirst ... 404548495051525560100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

lesbian witch from hell kay4today's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    While I'm at it, I'd like to give a -1 to Of Leaves and Lilacs, for being an incredibly long-winded fic in which nothing significant happens, except for exceedingly accurate descriptions of meaningless details. No, I don't need the details of Akiha taking a piss. After a certain point the pacing changes, but by then it's quite abrupt and jarring; especially since whatever plot buildup that could have led to the climax got lost in the minutiae of daily life and constant, teeth grinding internal monologues.
    Funnily enough, I give it a +1 for similiar reasons. Granted, some parts like, as you've mentioned, Akiha peeing were rather unnecessary, but I guess I kind of like reading daily life stuff and mundane things. And the internal monologues too. I enjoyed it.

I also give a +1 to Kariya's Legacy. It's a nice read, and being able to actually root for Shinji is refreshing.

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Has Al's Three T's of victory been recced, if not then I rec it.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burningclaw2 View Post
    Has Al's Three T's of victory been recced, if not then I rec it.
    Consider me flattered.

And embarrassed. I really need to work on the update for that.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alulim View Post
    Consider me flattered.

And embarrassed. I really need to work on the update for that.
    Yes you do. I like that fic.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I got distracted by my Shikabane Hime crossover. (Which I will have a chapter of out if/when Beamu finally gets to checking it over.)

Not to say that I haven't been working on T's at all, I have about half of it done.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alulim View Post
    I got distracted by my Shikabane Hime crossover. (Which I will have a chapter of out if/when Beamu finally gets to checking it over.)
    Aha! This is why Beam isn't in the fic contest this year; she's too busy beta-reading everything that everyone else is doing!

(Come to think of it, in that sense, she wins no matter what. It's all her master plan! )
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Blog Entries
    Nope, I got in on some of that action.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    That wicked good post Heaven's Feel noir story got a continuation it seems. Haven't read it yet but... hoping it's pretty good or something.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9159323/...rom-Themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Kelnish View Post
    That wicked good post Heaven's Feel noir story got a continuation it seems. Haven't read it yet but... hoping it's pretty good or something.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9159323/...rom-Themselves
    It's complete, which is worth half a point right there. *scurries off to read*

Edit: Having read it, "Where Shadows Run From Themselves" shall get a full +1 from me. Azaka cameo FTW!

Another noir-eqsue tale from the author of "Heaven's Side Story," this one returns to the theme of the magical world crossing over into the mundane one and the consequences for both sides, but in this case more from the emotional perspective. A supernatural murder leads Rin and Mikey into a story of tragedy, guilt, and misplaced vengeance.
    Last edited by DezoPenguin; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.

New chapter of For Want of a Relic posted, for those who are following it and don't have AO3 accounts to get alerts on.

Blog Entries
    This fic is really starting to test my suspension of disbelief.

I had an incredibly hard time swallowing the whole "Saber-as-a-scout" thing in the first place - not only is her class very much useless in the information-gathering area, but for Tokiomi to squander a Saber-class Servant like that while his own Servant, Rider, is being disobedient and useless, is stretching it a lot.
    With the Assassins it was understandable; he used their stealth and numbers to keep an eye on all the other Masters and Servants, but with Saber?!
    And now the Cthulhu is running rampant and wrecking the city, yet instead of acting like the city' guardian and using everything he has to stop the monster, he orders Saber ( who, let's remember, has the bloody Excalibur! ) to 'stay behind'?!
    Yeah, no.

Kiritsugu using the same tactics with Gilgamesh as he had with Saber is also very, very hard to buy.
    Waver-Lancer remains the only properly explored relationship in the War and the rest are very much squandered, and we're already half-way through the war. Kirei-Saber dynamics have a lot of potential but the relationship is still being underused, with only two very short scenes so far, and we mostly only see Kirei's thoughts which are the same as they were in Zero. There's still time for this pair to get proper development and screen time, but I won't be getting my hopes up.

If the fic is supposed to be exclusively Waver/Lancer centric, that's fine; I'd rather see the author develop that relationship only but do it properly than to try his hand at all seven teams and fail miserably.
    But if that's the case, then why did the author bother with Kirei/Saber or Kiritsugu/Iri/Gil in the first place? Why not just leave it alone completely and have everything unfold from Team Waver's perspective?

I can't recommend it just yet.
    Last edited by Polly; April 5th, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

I have to reluctantly agree with name93. The canon rails are too strong in this one.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I actually felt the same from this chapter. I still liked it, but I'm wondering if the author can portray Kotomine properly as his descent begins. Kotomine hesitating from Caster makes some sense, I always thought that if he ran into Caster and Uryuu that he would have realized he enjoys that kind of thing faster. Although he never demonstrates anything about it in the actual series, so... hm. I did like Kariya.

Hah, I just realized... Kotomine uses the same strategy in FSN that Tokiomi does in Zero... Gil gets stuck sitting around in the basement drinking wine both times.

Tokiomi ordering Saber and Kotomine to stay back could be based on his desire to have the other Masters use up their abilities fighting the monster instead... although that's more of a Kiritsugu tactic. Maybe we'll see what Tokiomi was thinking in the next chapter.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Kotomine's 'descent' shouldn't be happening, really, at least it shouldn't be a given that he'll walk down that path.
    Kirei may be twisted and unable to find happiness in anything other than suffering of others, but it wasn't until Gil came around that he started to accept his own twisted nature and depravity. Without Gilgamesh, Kirei would most likely just continue leading his pointless existence, torn between his impulses and his upbringing.

Having Saber of all people as his Servant created opportunities for a whole lot of things to write about; I liked how she was perplexed at her Master and wondered 'what is it with this man?' and I hoped the author would expand upon that and write some nice and insightful interactions between the two. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Tokiomi ordering Saber and Kotomine to stay back could be based on his desire to have the other Masters use up their abilities fighting the monster instead... although that's more of a Kiritsugu tactic. Maybe we'll see what Tokiomi was thinking in the next chapter.
    Is that the same Tokiomi who had Gil pull out Vimana from the Gate and was seriously considering using a Command Spell to make him use Ea?
    Yes, he completely messed up in Zero by squandering the Assassins on scout-duties and being way too careful and scheming for his own good ( I mean, the man has summoned Gilgamesh and instead of ordering him to spam others with GoB he commands him to retreat?! ), but takes his role as the guardian of the city very seriously - if there's a huge-ass monster threatening to tear the city apart he gives no shits about the Grail War and does whatever he can to prevent the catastrophe. In this case, he should be using Saber to blow the damn thing to smithereens.

Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )

Blog Entries
    I took his concern to be more for protecting the secrecy around magic than any real concern for the city or its people. Magi morality and all

Either way, the interesting premise isn't going as far as it could with such a cookie cutter approach to the story.

lesbian witch from hell kay4today's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do think that Tokiomi would have Saber excaliblast that thing in canon and some other things mildly bother me as well, but I'm optimistic and I think the author has plans for the Kotomine/Saber team. I'm not writing the story off, at least.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you could say Tokiomi is afraid that Excaliblast would cause too much collateral damage and is still hopeful the Servants can take it out without resorting to it.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Well, aren't you late to the party.
    Anyways, that might be true, but why doesn't he order Saber to go fight like Kirei does? Tokiomi orders her to "stay behind and watch". The hell?!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Well, aren't you late to the party.
    Anyways, that might be true, but why doesn't he order Saber to go fight like Kirei does? Tokiomi orders her to "stay behind and watch". The hell?!
    It's a simple strategy called "playing final boss" wherein you, safe in your superiority, allow your enemies to fight each other, growing in power (or tiring themselves out) before forcing a final battle in which your superiority wins you victory in a single battle, thus diminishing the chances of something unexpected popping up from the blue. Or from the enemy knowing how you fight or your weaknesses.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    God Slaying Bladeworks

I decided to write review on it. The author started off well, messed up around the middle and it seems to be going back on track.

One of the negative characteristics that was pointed wase that Shirou comparing himself to a Type and Illya compares herself to Lorelei. I don't know if the author changed that since then but when I read it I saw Illya comparing her reserves as comparable to Bartholomei and Shirou comparing the fear he inspires in the Magic users as similar to that when encountering a type. No further comparisons were present.

Next was that Shirou seems to be spending a great deal of time hypothesizing Battles that simply will not happen. I admit I found that irritating as well.

It is definitely worth a read, if only for the fight scenes, The Author has stated that it will not be a Harem thankfully.

The next is the adherence to Campione! canon, It definitely does not adhere to Campione! canon and if you're a fan stay clear of it. I personally hated Campione! so i really do not mind the author messing up it's canon mechanics.

The author is the type to take advice and will explain why such and such character behaves in a certain manner. It was slightly off for two chapters but he has recovered rather well from that.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoiler:
    And I stopped reading path of the King it's going to be a rather large Harem
    Last edited by Orange; April 11th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.