Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Eye of God

Blog Entries

Before the Eye of God

So, huh, this is a completely different thing from my other fics. It got into my mind and I couldn't stop it in time before I found myself developing it into an actual story.

Heaven's Fall isn't cancelled or anything. I'll probably write both alongside each others.

Comments are, as always, appreciated.

Part 1 (Williams)

Part 2 (Conroy)

Part 3 (Williams)

Part 4 (Williams)

Part 5 (Conroy)

Part 6 (Ballard)

Interlude: Sacrifice

Part 7 (Williams)

Part 8 (Williams)

Part 9 (Williams)

Part 10 (Williams)

Part 11 (Williams)

---------------------------------------------

Thankful perhaps for the first time in his life that the call had come in before his breakfast had been served, the detective stared at the gruesome sight before him.

“Christ, this is nasty.”

It wasn’t that bad, really. As far as murder scenes went, he’d seen much worse. But somehow, the lack of a mess made everything worse. This hadn’t been random violence, someone had planned it out.

Shooing away the uniformed officer that had led him to the body, he retrieved a recorder from his pocket and cleared his throat. It never hurt to be safe.

“‘It is currently…5:32, detective Douglas Williams on the scene. 9-1-1 call was received around 5 O’Clock. The officers dispatched reported in a homicide at 5:11. Victim is a caucasian male and appears to be in the late twenties. He was impaled through the heart with a…’”

After a moment’s pause, he turned off the recorder and bent down to inspect the murder weapon.

“Hey, Jon! What is that, bronze?”

He couldn’t help but feel a little hope that maybe the answer would be positive. A hope that was quickly squashed when his partner barely turned to look at the murder scene.

“No, I took a look earlier. Bronze wouldn’t have bent like that, it’s copper.”

Just like the previous scene then.

“Dammit.” Swearing under his breath, he raised the recorder again. “’With a copper stake. The victim’s arms shows sign of having been restrained” How surprising. ”but the surroundings show no sign of a struggle. Current theory is that the victim was neutralized somewhere else and then moved. The body is positioned over a table fixed to the wall which is covered in blood.’”

He didn’t even have to turn around to hear his partner’s approach. Jon was a lot of things, but quiet wasn’t one of them. Considering that he was 6’8” and built like a football player, it was hard to blame him.

“So, now that you’re done making sure we have a fourth copy of the facts on top of the official reports, can we start doing actual work?”

He brushed aside the sarcasm in Jon’s statement. Sure it might seem paranoid to make his own copy of everything, but then again he knew things that Jon didn’t.

“Sure. Since we never made the type of metal public, we can be sure this was done by the same guy. Anything else on that front?”

“Yeah, some good too.” Waving at the corpse, Jon gave a grim smile. “That much copper is pretty unusual. It’s used for wires and such, but making spikes out of it? I’m pretty sure you’d have to make it yourself, so our perp has some knowledge of metallurgy. And if this one is going to go serial…”

“Then he’ll have to get more copper somewhere. Maybe we can watch for that.”

Or not, for all Douglas knew copper was like plastic and you could get large quantities of it anywhere. Still, a small chance was better than nothing.

It was a few minutes later that the lab boys finally arrived, indicating to the detectives that it was time to engage operation “sit and wait”.

Just as he was about to walk to his car and maybe, finally, get some sleep, Jon intercepted him.

“Another thing. I just compared with the pictures from the last scene. They’re almost identical Doug, our perp went through a lot of trouble to recreate the same scene.”

Thinking about it, that sounded right. The corpses were in roughly the same position, both had been killed over a table fixed to the wall and, if he had to guess, the blood was hiding the same thing.

“So this isn’t just a passing whim for the criminal. He’s ritualistic.”

Ritual. Now that was a word he’d learned to hate.

”That’s right.” Jon added a nod to his confirmation, and Douglas never really understood why he did that. “That’s a point for us, right? There haven’t been any witnesses so far, but this is a pretty risky set-up. I bet this one was killed at midnight too.”

“So he’ll slip, sooner or later.” For the first time tonight, Douglas managed a shaky smile. “Those obsessive types always do; he’ll try to get all the details right even when he doesn’t have the time to do it.”

“That’s when we’ll get him.” With a grin, his partner patted him on the back so hard he almost took a step forward. “And then he’ll never see the sun again.”

As if on cue, the sun chose that moment to peek over the horizon.

Well, that had to be a good sign.

“Good morning, detective.”

The soft voice greeted him as he woke up in a blurry, yet well-lit office. Seeing as he could clearly remember going to sleep in his bed earlier, that could only mean one thing.

“Ah, Christ. Not you again.”

“I indeed, detective Williams. And I must say, I am displeased by your lack of obedience to our agreement.”

Even before he finished waking up to see the impeccable black suit, black hair and brown eyes complementing the aristocratic features, the words and tone confirmed who it was that had brought him there.

Nobody talked like that in the twenty-first century, aside from Leonard Conroy and cosplayers.

“Kidnapping people is a crime, you know?”

Alright, so maybe the reply was a bit weak. But he had just woken up and felt he deserved some slack.

“It is only kidnapping if one is brought without consent.” Without missing a beat, the bane of his life countered. “And anyone looking through the records of your video surveillance would attest that you did indeed provide consent.”

How the hell that had happened, Douglas would like to know. But he’d learned over the past two years that trying to get an answer out of Conroy about his methods was far more difficult than just pulling a tooth, so he let it go in favor of more important things.

“Fine, let’s pretend that’s true.” A triumphant glimmer appeared in the brown eyes, and it was all he could do to avoid leaning over the desk to punch the fake nobleman – once again, experience had taught him that it wasn’t as simple to do as it seemed. “Why the hell are you ‘displeased’?”

Without a word, Conroy gestured to a letter on the desk between them; one that Douglas could swear hadn’t been there earlier. Opening it after a questioning glance, he found photos of the past night’s crime scene.

Waking up to see a man impaled on a copper pike was getting tiresome. Was the universe trying to ruin his sleep forever?

“Yeah, so? Just some whackjob. Sure, caucasian males are a weird target, but I don’t see why that would interest you.”

An annoyed frown indicated that he’d finally succeeded in pushing the other man to get to the point. A small victory, but it was still sweet.

“Do not pretend, detective Williams. You were wise to keep it from the press, but I know what is hidden under the blood.” Waving the last –classified- picture in his hand, he indicated the symbol that had been covered up. Douglas wanted to start questioning him on where exactly he’d gotten that photograph, but for some reason the words wouldn’t come out. “I think you will agree, detective, that a ritualistic sacrifice is very much an occult crime. The likes of which you agreed to inform me of.”

An agreement that he would regret forever. They said that deals with the devil would come back to haunt you, and he’d learnt the hard way.

“I can’t…I can’t sabotage this case, Conroy.” There was desperation in his voice and he hated, hated, the fact that the other man could bring him so low that easily. “There’s too much attention to it – even the mayor’s heard of it. Now that there’s been a second murder…”

A finger to his lips silenced him despite his best effort.

“Who ever said anything about sabotage, detective?” The sheer empathy in Conroy’s voice made him want to puke. It was fake, he knew that, but for some reason he still felt hope that somehow, he’d finally gotten the man to understand his position. “You will not drop this case. In fact, you will solve it. This will be a great boon for your career, will it not? As for me, I will simply be an anonymous source that you contacted to do some research for you. If the criminal can be caught by you and your associates, then all will be well.”

Douglas gave out a sigh that was half reassured and half resigned. Fine, Conroy wanted to help? Then he could help.

“So you have something to tell me?”

“Not much, not yet.” Raising a hand to forestall the response, Conroy rose from his seat and turned to the window. A window that showed nothing but a blur of light. “The person you are looking for is from out of town, but is a citizen of the United States.”

Before Douglas could even speak up, he was cut-off.

“Do not ask me how I know, I also have my sources. Judging from the ritualistic nature of the crime, it is likely that they have taken residence in this city for the past month at least to locate proper locations; this your other sources will agree with. Additionally, you should research past history of similar crimes; the first crime that you investigated was not the first one for our murderer.”

The profiler had come to the same conclusion based on the lack of witnesses and the complexity of the ritual involved, but how the hell did Conroy know that?

As though reading his mind, Conroy once more pointed at the photo and sent chills down his spine with a smile.

“The runes, detective, are perfect. I do not yet know their meaning but they were traced without hesitation, with perfect discipline. An ordinary man would have been shaken by the act he was about to commit and a monster would be excited by it. Your criminal was not; he was methodical and took exactly as much time as needed. This is not something that a novice could do.”

The unspoken implication that Conroy himself was experienced enough to make that difference from a photo made Douglas wonder, not for the first time, just how many skeletons were in his ‘anonymous source’s closet.

Still, he bit back his words by grinding his teeth. There would be a time to go after Conroy and this wasn’t it.

“That will be all, detective. When next you wake, you will be safely in your bed.”

Before he could even stand up or protest, his vision blurred.

Leonard smiled as the detective walked away in a trance. It was the small things, like the smell of coffee in the morning or hypnotizing a member of the police force, that made life worth living.

It was an interesting game that he played with detective Williams. Not one that contained any risks to himself, of course, but it was interesting to see how far he could push the detective before the bonds that he had created through hypnosis snapped. By his guess, he had a few months left before either Williams’ mind collapsed under the stress or came after him to uphold his precious law. Either way, that would be the signal for the time to find a new partner in the police force. Williams didn't know anything important anyway, not even where he lived.

Not that he had lied to the detective in today’s matter; there had been no need to. As far as he could tell the so-called ritualistic murders were perfectly mundane, aside from the unusual discipline present in their execution.

Still it wouldn’t do to let amateurs freely wander around his domain, he had worked hard for the past twenty years to establish himself as Portland’s second owner – no small feat, even if the Clock Tower was far less present in the United States as they were elsewhere. If he allowed the more mundane mystics to act freely he would appear weak and they might even bring his own actions to the eye of the authorities. Without the added weight of the Clock Tower silencing investigations fell solely upon him and he was only one man, no matter how powerful and wise.

And there was always the off-chance that they were indeed perpetrated by another magus. If that was the case then either the murderer had taken steps to erase his tracks in such a way that even Leonard had missed them, or the two murders had only been practiced for the true ritual.

But if that was the case, what sort of ritual could it be? He considered himself an authority in such matters, and he had to admit he was stumped. It had all the makings of a sacrifice, but the crest was complete gibberish. Oh some of the runes had meanings he could understand but they meant nothing put together and others appeared to be there simply because there was empty space.

That, more than worry or cautiousness, was the reason why he had decided to act. He was a man of great occult knowledge, and he had never quite been able to stomach ignorance. From the care that had gone into tracing it that crest clearly meant something to someone, and he would find out what it was.

As though mocking his resolution, the Eye of Providence that was part of the crest met his stare.

With a sigh he gestured for one of his servants, some homeless person that he had found and hypnotized whose name escaped him at the moment, to pour some tea. Entering a staring contest with a picture was simply not behavior befitting a man of his position.
    Last edited by Siriel; January 13th, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    A line break needed between the first and second paragraphs.

made everything worse
    reported in a homicide
    can we start doing actual work
    experience had taught him
    past night’s crime scene.
    Waking up to see man
    Line break needed here.

the hell did you Conroy know
    his ‘anonymous source’s closet.
    Still, he bit back his words
    Line break needed here.

were perfectly mundane aside
    Aside from that, I'd recommend that you sprinkle a few more commas over your story and watch the flow a bit. Otherwise, your writing's good. I like the set-up and am eager to see the next chapter.

Blog Entries
    The first line break was there when I copy-pasted, I swear!

Fixed it and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Aside from that, I'd recommend that you sprinkle a few more commas over your story and watch the flow a bit.
    I'm trying to find the right balance between "all the commas" and "not enough commas".

Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Otherwise, your writing's good. I like the set-up and am eager to see the next chapter.
    Thanks. I'll try not to disappoint.
    Last edited by Siriel; May 30th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Color me interested.

nvm.
    Last edited by Daiki; May 30th, 2014 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Color me interested. Also;

but how the hell did you Conroy know that?
    Yeah, already fixed thanks to Bloble.

I'm a bit embarassed by that particular mistake. It was originally dialogue, hence the you, but I forgot to delete it when I changed my mind halfway through and wrote 'Conroy'.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    That's the kind of mistake which happens when you change your mind on a line. Not like it never happens to other writers.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I dig it.

I like how the mage goes around hypnotizing random homeless people.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I'm trying to find the right balance between "all the commas" and "not enough commas".
    Yeah, that's always tough. I personally tend to err on the side of excess and throw too many all over the place. A good way to figure it out is to read the line out loud and put commas where it sounds like there's a natural pause.

Blog Entries
    Well... looky here.

I'll be paying attention to this thread for a good while.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I dig it.

I like how the mage goes around hypnotizing random homeless people.
    Free help is free!
    O piteous Wanderer.

Who stole my donuts!? Leo Novum's Avatar
    I like this story's premise. It is quite intriguing.

Blog Entries
    I think chapters will alternate between our two protagonists. Or at least the story is flowing that way so far.

The Conroy mansion wasn’t exactly hidden, except perhaps in plain sight. If he had been allowed to research it to any extent detective Williams would easily have found it, but hypnosis was a wonderful tool. Something that many magi had grown blind to, after being isolated from the mundane world for so many generations.

At the center of the mansion, beneath the dining hall, was hidden a room that wasn’t shown on any map and had never been visited by anyone save Leonard himself. Not even his father, back when he had still lived, or the members of his family that still lingered in Europe had ever been allowed to set their sight upon the sanctuary that was his private laboratory.

The reason behind that excessive secrecy wasn’t purely the usual paranoia that all magi possessed. In fact, the sanctity of that room was an essential conduct for the greater magecraft that he would once more execute when the sun reached it’s zenith. It was of the utmost importance that only Leonard’s thoughts had ever echoed through it, or the guiding echo might be drowned out.

He hadn't intended to use his trump card so early, but after his discussion with Williams he had decided that it was for the best. It would take at least a full day before the detective learned anything more, and Leonard wanted as much time as possible to explore through his own methods. After all, he was the superior and thus had to take the first step.

Sitting in a comfortable seat at the center of the magic circle that spanned the entire room, he gathered his strength.

How many questions could he afford tonight? The subject was rather precise and would greatly reduce the odds of obtaining a false answer, but that also carried with it a higher probability that he would encounter a strong resistance.

Finally, he decided on three. It was a number that had often been held to be of great importance in magic, and would likely be pleasant to what he would contact. It also restrained the possibility that his mind would be invaded by excessive knowledge.

Once more taking into his mind the mysterious crest that would serve as a point of reference, he closed his eyes and began the incantation that had long ago been written into his flesh.

“In my hands, the keys of knowledge
    In my mind, the sought-after answer
    In my soul, the will to learn.

I have walked through the halls of Ashurbanipal
    Amongst the ashes of Alexandria
    And toward the gates of Akasha.”

At once his magic crest began to active fully, his body burning under the impact of the prana. He had never seen it, but he knew that the magical circle had begun to shine in synchronization, read to carry the call further than his voice could ever reach.

This was his one and only masterpiece, the result of countless efforts. In Europe his family had never amounted to anything, but he felt that if the noble families could see what he had achieved here, the magic circle that sprawled underneath his entire mansion and increased his magecraft a hundredfold, they would have welcomed him with open arms into the heights of power.

But now was not the time to dream of glory. He ruthlessly blinded his mind’s eye to anything but his goal and sent forth his summons even as he impaled his left hand on the spike that had been built into his seat, sending his blood flowing through the symbols.

“I call upon the wisdom of the four winds

The lingering will of the dead
    And the fledgling awareness of the living.

Pledge now your vow, wandering souls
    To answer and not stay silent
    For this blood, answer me thrice.

Be guided by my will.
    Be bound by this rule.
    Answer the call and speak.”

Blind to the world, he lingered on the verge of awareness and he felt his heart speed up despite his calm breathing. Any magus could send his consciousness into his familiar, but it was a rather different thing to send one’s consciousness flying to the winds with only a symbol as a guide.

The western wind came to him whispering easy answers, but he declined. In the realm of knowledge, easy and empty were siblings.

The southern wind came second, shouting the answers to all he would ask, but he stood his ground. Uncontrolled thoughts ravaged the mind and weakened the body.

At least came a third light, sharp as the frozen wind of the north, and he smiled. That one knew, but did not speak out of turn. It wouldn’t share as easily as he would like, but it would share – the spell ensured that much.

Yet as he approached, he felt himself drawn. This was no mere contact – he was being drawn in!

Swallowing his panic, he held firm to his awareness of himself. If he lost himself inside another, it would for all intent and purpose be as if he had died. The contract; he had enforce the contract.

Lashing out with his will, he cried out the words of binding.

“You answered the call and you will speak

Pledge now your vow, wandering soul
    Be bound by this rule!”

The light receded and lost ground, bringing a smile to his lips. This one was strong, perhaps even stronger than him, but not so strong that it could defy him after answering his call.

This was his battlefield, the realm of the unconscious where he would never be laid low.

Reaching out, he touched the light on his terms and repeated his intent one last time.

“By the blood I have shed, thrice you shall answer.”

The light reached out to engulf him once more, and this time he allowed it. Now that the contract had been established, there was no need to fear; his mind would remain connected to his body by the crest on his chest and the imprint that he had left upon his room.

With a confident smile – or at least, what would have been a smile if he had been more than a spirit – he surveyed the other’s mindscape.

It was rather disappointing, really. A broken street in what was, as far as he could tell through the heavy rain, a typical town. The rain did not touch him of course, even in the mind of another he remained master of himself, and he might have been able to halt it altogether to see further. Still, he resisted the temptation; there was no sense risking a fight which might damage the answer he sought even if he won.

“You must be crazy, throwing yourself around like that.”

The angry voice almost made him recoil in surprise before he caught himself. Peering through the rain, he managed to make out a humanoid figure that had to be the source. The other was female if he had to guess, and apparently not as inexperienced in such matters as he would have preferred. Most of the times, he would be met only with a mindscape that would change to show him the answers; to manifest inside one’s own mind showed an awareness of the self that was uncommon in the modern world.

To the words themselves he paid no heed, what he contacted was the unaware self that governed dreams and any words that did not answer his questions would be intent to either provoke him or mere gibberish. In fact, since it was connected to his own consciousness for a time, it wouldn’t be surprising if it attempted to use his own knowledge against him.

“You have answered my call and will answer me thrice.”

Pushing back against the rain slightly, he established his position of strength.

“The context: An individual, or several individuals, has come to the town of Portland, Maine, and has murdered at least two caucasian males in their twenties since their arrival. At the place of the crime, they left the sigil that I will show you. My questions concern either this individual, these individuals or the sigil.”

Describing the context was, he had swiftly learned, essential. It prevented the other individual for mistaking his queries accidentally or on purpose, and restrained the amount of information that could be given in answer. He had almost completely lost his mind once, when a question’s answer had turned out to be far more complex than he expected and the information had come close to overwhelming his safeguards.

“Wow, talk about a stick in the mud. You’re not even going to act as if I’m there, are you?”

Once more, he ignored the meaningless drivel; it had indirectly acknowledged that it had heard, that was enough.

“This is the crest in question.”

With a simple effort of will, he conjured a phantom image that he had inscribed in his mind and was rewarded by the figure taking a step back. Oh yes, it was more aware than the average peon, but not nearly as much as he.

“What is the meaning that this mark was intended to convey on the scene of the crime.”

If he could have helped it he would asked for what it meant as a whole, but for all he knew it was used by some religion in some backward place where it could mean anything depending on the context.

Through the rain, he noticed a glimmer on the silhouette of his opponent. The first imposition of the contract had been engaged.

“It’s a vow and a request.”

Much to his satisfaction, the earlier mockery had been replaced by resignation.

“’We do this before God’, ‘witness our actions, O God’, things like that. I hear it’s popular among crazy people like you.”

Not so defeated that it would stop with the meaningless provocations then. No matter, as long as he had his answers.

An occultist that had become convinced of the truth of some fictional God, then? That would explain the presence of the Eye of Providence, but not the variety of the symbols. ‘God’ wasn’t know for sharing with other religions, and fanatics had a tendency to narrow their vision considerably.

Better to leave the subject, it was like a minefield due to how unfamiliar it was and he could ask the culprit once detective Williams had acquired him.

“Why did the culprit, or culprits, move to Portland?”

Even as the second light appeared through the rain, he felt a sense of amusement. Had he blundered?

“Who knows?”

Damn, he had made the mistake of assuming that his interlocutor was the unconscious of one of the culprits. If it didn’t know the answer, then the contract had no effect. He saw the light blink, and immediately focused again; it appeared as if the contract would still get some information for him.

“If I had to guess, they got kicked out.”

Kicked out? What an infuriatingly vague answer. Still, it reinforced his impression that the culprit was no magus; he hadn’t heard of anyone getting ‘kicked out’ of anything, and there were few enough of them on the continent that such an event were noteworthy.

“The third question, then.”

He had to make it count, something that he or the detective could use to find them. What was it that detectives always looked for? Oh, of course.

“Why did they choose to come here?”

For a short time it fell silent, before the third light forced it to speak.

“They chose Portland because there’s power in the names people give.”

What did that mean? He was about to demand answers – he was confident he had the strength to enforce at least one more request, even without the contract – before the rain stopped and the sky turned pitch-black.

He didn’t waste a second before breaking the connection, not even to take the time to see what the vaguely humanoid silhouette that now assaulted him really was. He had no intention to stick around while his interlocutor suffered a nightmare, and that was clearly what had been about to happen.

As his mind reintegrated his body, a simple task compared to leaving it thanks to the circle of guidance, he felt his muscles loosen suddenly and knew that he would have collapsed on the spot if he hadn’t already been sitting. Truly, those magi who went through rituals while standing were utter fools.

He would think on the information that he had obtained later. For now, it was of the utmost importance that he slept to allow his mind to recover.

And then he would talk to the detective again. More than ever before he wanted to meet the culprit, even though it was probably a mere madman.
    Last edited by Siriel; May 31st, 2014 at 12:41 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    place of the crime, they left the sigil that I will show you. My questions concern either this individual, these individualsor the sigil.”

Desscribing the context was, he had swiftly learned, essential.
    individuals or

Describing
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Fixed.
    O piteous Wanderer.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    And interesting mind-reading magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    I actually considered it for a character in Heaven's Fall at first, before deciding that it would be either too broken or useless (depending on how limited I made it) in a Holy Grail War setting.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I could definitely see this guy accidentally wandering into a Master/Servant dream cycle and getting killed by a big naked guy from a gajillion BC.

Blog Entries
    He's not literally wandering into dreams, but that's the general idea. In the form that I ended up choosing for his magecraft, a spirit on the level of a Servant would pretty much lolnope his contract.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Step one: a hot shower. Step two: drink coffee. Step three: check the newspaper.

That was the pattern that Douglas had developed whenever he had the unfortunate honor of meeting Leonard Conroy. Only after that sequence did he feel awake and energetic enough to proceed with the day.

Today’s newspaper had been conductive to his relatively good mood as he walked to work, as the murder hadn’t hit the front page. No matter how gruesome, it still hadn’t managed to overcome the latest political scandal.

Not yet, anyway.

Three was the magic number for these things, the arbitrary point where it moved from ‘crazy person doing crazy things’ to ‘serial killer’ according to the media and suddenly everyone thought it was something special deserving of attention.

Which was stupid, if you asked him. The only number required to be regarded as a serial killer by the FBI was two, and this particular crazy hadn’t waited long enough between the two kills to fit the profile. Then again, the media didn’t really care about reality.

Coming out of his muttering as he arrived at the station, he gave a smile to the man stationed at the torture device called the front desk – no sense making poor Jenkins’ day even worse – and aimed straight for Jon’s office.

Jon was already there, of course. Conroy apparently didn’t understand what working hours meant and he always woke up around eleven after their meetings.

“You’re late, Doug, Cloud already checked in with the results.”

The words didn’t hold any resentment, and that always amazed him; if his partner had been late so often with only checking with his sources for an excuse, he’d go crazy over it. But not Jon, the guy was almost zen in how he just rolled with everything.

“Really? What did he have for us?”

‘Cloud’ was one of the lab technicians and his name wasn’t actually Cloud; some of the younger officers had taken to calling him that because of his crazy hair and for some reason it’d become popular.

“Not much, aside from me having been right about the copper. Prints match the ones found at the other crime scene, so there’s no point putting them through the database again. They were all over the place too, the guy didn’t even try to avoid leaving traces.”

Looking down at a piece of paper on the desk, he marked his reading with his finger.

“There was a muddy shoeprint that doesn’t match the victim, but it’s a size ten so it could be about half the country. I don’t think we’re going to be able to CSI our way out of this one.”

“Wait, mud? It was pretty dry last night.”

Jon shook his head in response.

“I don’t know man. Maybe he went through someone’s yard while they were watering their plants.”

“Well, that’s worth checking at least. I’ll ask one of the guys on patrol to go door-to-door on the neighborhood to check if anyone noticed that.”

A disinterested agreement told him that they were on the same page as to the odds of that succeeding; he’d long ago come to the conclusion that people hardly ever noticed anything that happened in their own home and when they did, it was never what you actually wanted them to notice.

Rising to his feet much to the relief of the chair he’d been sitting on, Jon moved toward the drawing board. The one that had only been installed after much insistance from Douglas; part of his ongoing campaign to make sure he had a back up for every piece of information. Because you never knew when some creep was going to wander into your home, or office, and take whatever he wanted.

That meant it was speculation time, so he took out his notepad.

“Both victims were male in their early twenties, no ties as far as we could tell.” Without waiting for a prompt, he decided to take the first step. “Both were physically overpowered after a short struggle, so the suspect is probably male himself. I would say he’s big, but the size ten shoeprint kind of kills that. Do you think he has an accomplice?”

“Maybe.” Cracking open a pen, Jon added ‘Multiple killers?’ to the board. “I figure there can’t be more than two or three of them though. Somebody would have noticed if there was a whole gang.”

It sounded a bit optimistic to Douglas, but it did make sense,considering no witness had come forward, despite the crimes having taken place in fairly respectable neighborhoods.

“Forensic report agrees that the victims were still alive when they were moved. You have any idea how or why they were actually moved?”

That one was harder to pin down. It would have made sense if they’d been picked up at a bar or something where the murderers didn’t want to make a scene, but apparently both had been sleeping at home when they were grabbed, only to be moved to a seemingly random nearby house for the actual murder.

“Going by the shoeprint, going through the backyards on foot seems plausible enough. It would explain the lack of witnesses on the streets” They would have to check if anyone had private cameras looking on their lawn. “I think I know why they were moved, too.”

For the first time, Jon let his surprise show and Douglas couldn’t help his grin. This was the one good thing about Conroy’s little visits; they let him look smart at the station.

“The symbols, Jon. They wanted a nice table set to the wall to draw them. I’m willing to bet that if we check the victims’ houses, they didn’t have tables like that or they were a mess.”

“You sure?” A doubtful frown told him that he would have to work harder to sell that kind of logic. “I mean, couldn’t they have just drawn it on the floor or something? That’s how it goes in the movies.”

It wouldn’t work like that, because he’d suggested something of the kind to Conroy once only for him to completely flip out about the importance of elevation in some rites, and about how altars were always elevated for some ridiculous reason that he couldn’t remember.

“I don’t know man, I don’t speak psycho.” Obviously, he couldn’t tell the truth to Jon, so a powerless shrug was all he was left with. “Maybe they have OCD or something?”

“That would be a weirdly specific form of OCD.” The amused twitch of his partner’s face told him he’d succeeded in his goal. “Still, crazy people do have a tendency to obsess over weird things, so I guess it’s not out of the question. I’ll send go check it out right away.”

That was suspiciously generous. In fact Jon had been way too passive during the entire conversation, letting him take the lead. As if he’d already planned the conversation.

“Wait.” Holding out a hand in protest, he stopped Jon’s advance. “There’s no way you just randomly want to take the field work. What’s going on?”

The shit-eating grin on his partner’s face said it all.

“Oh right, you were late so you haven’t heard yet.” If there was any possibility that he was being honest, the grin proved it all. “Apparently there was an altercation between the local druggies yesterday, so the captain wants everyone who isn’t busy to hit the street and show that we’re present and won’t let that kind of things slide.”

“You son of a bitch.”

He couldn’t help but show his teeth in his own grin. There was just no way he could be mad when a friend manipulated him that well to put the annoying work on your shoulders; not when he’d done the same in the past.

“Well, have fun playing with the gangs.”

With an enthusiastic tap to his shoulder that caused him to wince, Jon walked out of the room.

“I’m off to have a beautiful day in the neighborhood.”
    Last edited by Siriel; May 31st, 2014 at 08:37 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

This is looking pretty interesting. I'll be following this.