Page 104 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4549499102103104105106109114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 3142

Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Not a good example, because the authors in the SW EU didn't exactly strike it big or anything since most of the money went to the license. They had to have other jobs, writing or otherwise, thus they personally were not successful.

Blog Entries
    Aren't the Star Wars EU novels the kind that you get paid 10k for flat and you just grind it out in a few months?

e: well, 10k might be optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    From what I understand, it's ~$30k plus a far far smaller fraction of royalties than normal, plus whatever you might get to go to stuff like conventions and such to promote it. It also depends whether hardback or paperback. It's more than a starting author or someone like a harlequin writer, but less than a major publisher like Penguin or something.

Blog Entries
    Oh, that high? Huh. I guess I was thinking back to the NJO business when they were coming out like rabbits or something, but maybe it was even true then.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    That sounds like Captain Underpants crossover fanfiction.

Would read.
    R-really?

.....man it's been years since I've read Captain Underpants, I've nearly forgotten the name I once held: Lumpy Pizzabreath

Not gonna lie though, I really don't have any idea what I was thinking with the toilet and flail.
    Last edited by Megas; June 24th, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    R-really?

.....man it's been years since I've read Captain Underpants, I've nearly forgotten the name I once held: Lumpy Pizzabreath
    Tootie Livertush in the house, by the by.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Buttercup Diaperbreath is in the building

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    This reminds me of a non-TM fic I'm reading right now, where instead of the magical battle the author had planned originally to wrap up a story arc, the MC and his opposing leader of a shadowy organization sat down for tea while the villain talks about how the hero's deeds have made his operation superfluous and he's shutting it down. It lacked the impact of a huge firefight, but it made a lot more sense in the story's context.
    What fic was this? Sounds interesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    That sounds like Captain Underpants crossover fanfiction.
    Would read.
    IRUn reaffirms that he has good taste. I concur with his statement.
    [edit]
    Crusty Diaper-Fanny here. :P
    Last edited by Lycodrake; June 26th, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    What fic was this? Sounds interesting.
    It's a HP/ Doctor Who cross, Visited by a Doctor. Where young Harry keeps meeting the Doctor (always either a different version or companions) throughout his childhood. No real effect on the main HP story, but the post Hogwarts years are when the time lines start to sync with the new series and everything gets interesting.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    It's a HP/ Doctor Who cross, Visited by a Doctor. Where young Harry keeps meeting the Doctor (always either a different version or companions) throughout his childhood. No real effect on the main HP story, but the post Hogwarts years are when the time lines start to sync with the new series and everything gets interesting.
    Ah, that's too bad. It did sound like a HP story which I would have been interested in, but I'm not into Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    R-really?

Not gonna lie though, I really don't have any idea what I was thinking with the toilet and flail.
    Flunky Monkeybuns here, IIRC.
    Not Magus! Magic Emperor Magus!

I gotta ask, what is the general view of fics like Fate's Gamble and Fate/Zero Sense + Stay Away?

Zero Sense and Stay Away in my opinion are very good, although Gamble is a bit...overdone. Harry suddenly becoming a Vampire/Gorgon hybrid with Zelretch, Stheno, Euryale, and Waver as surrogate parents is too...much I guess?

F/GO friend code: 319871588/solopy567

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    From the author of Zero Sense himself:

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousMan View Post
    Honestly, its no problem. Even I'll admit that Zero Sense is pretty fucking horrible. I handled the characters very poorly and didn't add any depth to anything. To be honest, I kind of made that fic on the spot and didn't really pay THAT much attention to source material, and unfortunately I unintentionally bashed characters.

Honestly its embarrassing since I started the whole 'The Grail is Bored' trend, and unfortunately all those 'inspired' by Zero Sense tend to just copy practically everything I did just to be 'popular'.

With Just An Unorthodox Thief and A Different Kind of Truth, my tastes changing and my absolute detesting of cliches and overabundance of grimderp/OOC moments made me write something different. Fics more dedicated to respecting the characters, source material, and tone of both series involved. I do feel like the fanfic scene needs to lighten up, but I don't want to moly-coddle the experience either.

So if you want my best Fate work that actually respects all aspects of the franchise, read Just an Unorthodox Thief. If you want something that completely ignores everything and is practically the work of some teenager who wanted to write whatever flew through his mind and was absolutely fine with what came out, read Zero Sense.

Or don't read it. That fic is practically dead to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They're all bad honestly. Like really so.

In my opinion they're [Zero/Sense and its sequel] amusing, since the Grail Wars lend themselves to "Ultimate Showdowns of Ultimate Destiny"... but only if you don't mind throwing the actual mechanics of the Nasuverse out of the window. I enjoyed reading them myself and understand why they are popular, but at the same time I recognize that they are not actually good fan fiction, save as crack. And then of course they spawned even lower quality imitators and the whole idea, while actually funny once or twice, becomes rapidly overdone and cliched.

Of course, a Lupin the 3rd / Fate crossover is in the category of crackfics too just for how unusual the crossover is, but it's a more nuanced and competent effort by The Infamous Man than Fate/Zero Sense.
    Last edited by Magus; July 16th, 2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Not Magus! Magic Emperor Magus!

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by solopy567 View Post
    I gotta ask, what is the general view of fics like Fate's Gamble and Fate/Zero Sense + Stay Away?

Zero Sense and Stay Away in my opinion are very good, although Gamble is a bit...overdone. Harry suddenly becoming a Vampire/Gorgon hybrid with Zelretch, Stheno, Euryale, and Waver as surrogate parents is too...much I guess?
    I've never heard of Gamble, but TIM has said many times, both here and in the Lupin fic that he dislikes/regrets zero sense and stay away. Although generally people seem to at least enjoy zero sense as a fun fic.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Treat them like a goofy summer blockbuster that the director is now ashamed of because he's moved on to better things that aren't purely style over substance.

Ever onwards. To stand still is to die. Rai Burnout's Avatar
    I would like to Recommend Extrinsical's Unfinished Business

One day, Shinji approached them on the roof of Homurahara Academy. Post UBW, game verse.

Well written with a well thought out plot. Reminds me of the Letters Series. Plus honest to god Shirou x Rin. What's not to love. Has a thread here too but only the first chapter is posted there. FF has all five current chapters. Link here: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...ished-Business
    People will make mistakes, its a fact of life. But if you don't try for fear of failing then you're making the biggest one of all.

So Live your life, you only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It couldn't have been more damsel in distress if when Ilya met them in the hall she had been dressed like Bowser.