Page 79 of 158 FirstFirst ... 29697477787980818489129 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 3142

Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    No one knows what the deal with Gungnir is because all we have is incomprehensible babble from Archer comparing Gae Bolg to "the original Gungnir".
    Mistranslation?
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    It's just a very vague sentence.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Stupid sexy Shirou...
    Spoiler:
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    I mean, as far as the relation (if any) between Gae Bolg and Gungnir goes. It's pretty clear as far as what Archer actually wanted to say.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by absolutezero001 View Post
    That's because for all intents and purposes, Nasu stayed true to the legend.

The author of DxD just basically said fuck you and went his merry way.
    Exactly. I mean Balor's evil eye is a time stopping power? And don't get me started on all the weird shit the true longinus can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    I don't care if it doesn't make sense. I don't have any intent of making it make sense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Haha, it's "original" in English, of all things.

「----- 驚いたな。アイアスを貫通しうる槍がこの世にあろうとは。
     君のそれは、オリジナルの“
    グングニル
    大神宣言
    ”を上回っている」
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    @Siriel: I remember オリジナル for 'original' being used in connection with Gilgamesh, but I think it's also just something Nasu does, so it's not specifically meant to refer to NP prototypes. My memory could by entirely off, though.
    This is what I posted last time.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost132435 View Post
    Gilgamesh

And looks really asian.
    Wut? How?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nevermind he just looks anime.
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I mean, as far as the relation (if any) between Gae Bolg and Gungnir goes.
    Gungnir, at least mythically, always hit it's mark, no matter the strength or skill of the wielder, so I guess it's comparable to Gae Bolg which always hits the heart?

Blog Entries
    Re: Arthur being friendly with someone named Le Fay

That is not an unforgivable liberty being taken with the legends. She wasn't always the Palpatine of Camelot, nor was she always Mordred's mother. In some accounts, she was a minor figure who never had beef with Arthur, or when she did, she later repented and accompanied him to Avalon as a sort of pallbearer.

Of course, her most popular depiction is the scheming adversary, but you could conceivably play her several ways.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    +1 The Magnificence by Imperial

"Seven Samurai, magi edition". I haven't actually watched that movie, but the gist of it is a rag tag band of magi, teaming up to fight vampires. Svelten, to be exact. Featuring Shirou, Kairi, some of the dudes who didn't get much screentime in Apocrypha, and Touko.

Anyway, the prose is lovely, the dialogue is fun, and the whole "expanding on characters who got shafted in the originals" is always nice to see. And it's always nice to see us getting fics that aren't just more Fate, even if this fic is still relatively young.
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Is it still going to get updated? The story was interesting so far...

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It updated about three or four days ago.
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    +1 to The Magnificence

Dialogue is snappy, characters expanded from footnotes and titles from canon proper are interesting, and the premise is a promising one. Not a lot has happened so far, but I'm willing to trust the story based on what Imperial's said about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Now watch as I take a promising beginning off the rails like Path of the King or Chaos Theory and turn it into a total pain to read because you guys were too quick to say nice things about me. Thanks, guys. It means a lot to me.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nick View Post
    And for some reason there are more DxD Naruto crossovers than all the other DxD crossovers combined.
    There is one DxDxover that is halfway decent but I wouldn't rec it.
    There are always more Naruto/X Crossovers then anything else. They're a Cancer.

I mean, as far as the relation (if any) between Gae Bolg and Gungnir goes. It's pretty clear as far as what Archer actually wanted to say.
    I think it's just a matter of mythological derivation.

In Fate route, we had Gilgamesh declared how everything begins from his treasure trove, and how the original prototype is superior to everything that is derived from it, which he prove by jobbing Shirou's Caliburn with Merodach, which is supposed to be the predecessor of all "sword stuck in something" legend, predating Balmung and Caliburn. But in UBW Archer vs Lancer fight, he just declared that Gae Bolg is stronger than Gungnir, to either contradict Gilgamesh's statement or showing how Lancer's skill with the spear causes him to elevate Gae Bolg higher than the spear it was derived from. Considering the theme of the final confrontation in UBW route, I guess it's a hint on how originality is overrated?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    While Gae Bolg is derived from Gungnir, it is also derived from Brionac; therefore, its fine if it's stronger than Gungnir because the part it got from Gungnir was the "never miss," not the "strength."
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Title: dul thar am
    Author: infamousplot
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/3591474
    Synopsis: A "missing scene" short about Lancer's final thoughts and the last conversation he will ever have (Fate route)
    Review: I find myself being drawn to straightforward character work lately. Balls-to-the-wall action and clever premises are still fine, but those don't amount to much if you miss the essence of the characters that make us keep coming back to these stories. And infamousplot captures Lancer's essence quite nicely.

By the time we start the story, the battle is already over. Lancer is bleeding out. Saber and Shirou are long gone. Gilgamesh is insurmountable. Death is inevitable.

So it becomes a story less about a last stand and the kind of person who would make one. What does it mean to be a hero?

It's fascinating. Lancer gets dumbed down a lot to jobber or Kirei's reluctant enforcer or that kooky guy who flirts with Rin, so it's refreshing to see him played as both the paragon and the rebel that really made him one of my Type-Moon favorites. He has a noble soul, even if he doesn't share Arturia and Diarmuid's rigid sense of chivalry and spend so much time talking about it, but he's also entirely self-motivated. infamousplot strikes a wonderful balance, and it really shows through as early as the third paragraph, as Lancer muses he didn't attack Gilgamesh to buy Saber and Shirou time. He's not trying to save anyone. He's simply honoring the heroic ideal and carrying that standard (and if he gets to stick it to Kirei one last time in some small way, so much the better). It's the heroic thing to do, and so he did it. The consequences don't matter. It's the defiance of the impossible and the actions one takes, however fleeting or doomed to be just another moment in time. He knew the life of a hero would end in misery and blood -- twice now -- but he did it anyway because he embraced that lifestyle, with all of its bumps and warts, when he was still a child.

Archer doesn't even show up in the story, but it's a nice counterpoint to him and really underscores their rivalry. Archer was appalled by what heroism really meant and is mired in regret, while Lancer carries on, knowing it couldn't have gone any other way and letting it wash over him with a zen-like grace.

And while it's the Lancer show, Gilgamesh comes through nicely, too. He's imperious, haughty, condescending -- none of that watering him down so the author can make him a viable love interest for Saber or someone's BFF. He's a dick. He's always going to be a dick. But infamousplot teases at something more than a one-dimensional mongrelbot and maybe even some tenuous interest (but not any real respect, because Gilgamesh doesn't just hand that out) Gilgamesh found for Lancer at the end in what is clearly a throwback to Zero Rider.

Short version: It's Lancer done really, really well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arsdraconis View Post
    I think it's just a matter of mythological derivation.

In Fate route, we had Gilgamesh declared how everything begins from his treasure trove, and how the original prototype is superior to everything that is derived from it, which he prove by jobbing Shirou's Caliburn with Merodach, which is supposed to be the predecessor of all "sword stuck in something" legend, predating Balmung and Caliburn. But in UBW Archer vs Lancer fight, he just declared that Gae Bolg is stronger than Gungnir, to either contradict Gilgamesh's statement or showing how Lancer's skill with the spear causes him to elevate Gae Bolg higher than the spear it was derived from. Considering the theme of the final confrontation in UBW route, I guess it's a hint on how originality is overrated?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    While Gae Bolg is derived from Gungnir, it is also derived from Brionac; therefore, its fine if it's stronger than Gungnir because the part it got from Gungnir was the "never miss," not the "strength."
    Where are you getting that Gae Bolg is descended from Gungnir?
    O piteous Wanderer.