Blog Entries
    Berserker

STR: A+
    AGI: A+
    END: A+
    MAG: B+
    LUK: A

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder

Once a man who was the object of glory and admiration, he sacrificed his world for the purpose of extending his dying era, the era of the gods. He now treads the barren wastelands of the kiln below the Firelink shrine, ravaged by madness and sorrow.

Still clinging fiercely to the soul and the flame that he fought to protect, he awaits a successor who will continue in his footsteps to link the bonfires- or perhaps, the person who will end his misery.

Either way, a bleak future of ash and death await. Yet still he continues his futile struggle to maintain the dim hope that his era may one day outlast him...

Noble Phantasms:

Sunlight Spear- Covenant of the Arch God
    Anti-Unit

To become the heralded God who ruled over Lordran in better times, he brought down the dragons with his mighty bolts of lightning. Each spear gains bonus modifiers against members of the dragonkind, becoming A++ ranked anti-fortress javelins of death. They are even being capable of neutralizing draconic immortality.
    As described in legend, they were capable of peeling apart the scales of the mighty beasts, effectively stripping them of their eternal lives. It is unusable as a result of Mad Enhancement, and his own hollowing.

Great Lord's Greatsword
    Anti-Unit

A once-mighty blade of fire. Easily parried, it is a mere shadow of its former self, much like its master, though the flame along its blade still burns hot. It can no longer be considered anything other than a 'killing tool' for those who would trespass upon the kiln of the first flame.
    Nevertheless, it is a vicious weapon that will still decapitate the unwary with great ease.

Abilities:

Mad Enhancement

The madness which infects a Heroic Spirit of the Berserker class. At such a rank, all parameters are increased by one, but madness takes over the Spirit almost completely.

Divinity

Measures whatever Divine Spirit aptitude one has. At high levels one is treated as a mixed race of a materialized Divine Spirit, and the level declines when the Heroic Spirit's own rank as a Monster, or when the status of being a Demonic Beast increases. It can also decrease due one's dislike for the gods. It also has an effect which reduces special defensive values called "purge defense" in proportion to the Divinity's Rank. It can break through Skills such as Protection of the Faith.
    The Gwyn of the kiln is no longer the great God he once was, and thus this skill's rank has been lowered multiple times.

------------

Am I the only one who bows to this guy every time I kill him?

Quote Originally Posted by Junky View Post
    Ko-Gil: Great Uncle Ea, could I have your sword please?

Charisma: Rank A+
    Great Uncle Ea: HNNNNGGGGG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
    *snip*
    Very good, Verg, but I think you should deny him the sword unless he's summoned as a Saber. Way too broken otherwise with his high-level magecraft on top of all that! Archer gets away with it because he's an archer that fires swords as arrows in the first place, and Gil gets away with it because his whole gimmick is that he can summon-spam every weapon he ever owned, but Cu doesn't get Fragarach or his chariot when summoned as a Lancer (he also had a sword besides Fragarch IIRC), nor does Diramuid get his swords, Greater Fury and Lesser Fury, when summoned as a Lancer.

Joukahainen is basically a Caster who happened to own a magical bow and a magical sword, so him still using his magecraft along with the bow when summoned as an Archer is okay (as would him using his magecraft and the sword when summoned a Saber), but granting him both NPs on top of his magecraft is too haxxed.

Otherwise it was great, and I liked that you gave Luvia an Archer to rival Rin's own! Also, your description of the crossbow as big and bulky makes me picture the giant crossbows used by Arbalists in Etrian Odyssey 3. And that is now my head-canon for what Joukahainen's Bow of Hiisi looks like!

Why wouldn't Gwyn be a Saber? Although really, aside from if you're doing things Moon Cell like, Gwyn wouldn't count at all, because he's full on god, or at least became one due to the fire.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    He's not a Saber because, well, I wanted to portray the Gwyn you fight in game.

For the second point: probably because he isn't the fully-fledged God you see in the intro? When he linked the bonfires, the flame burned him and his knights to cinders. Considering the fact that his knights were burned alive into walking suits of armor, what is left of Gwyn probably can't be considered a 'god' anymore. Just a depraved husk of shattered dreams and misery.

I certainly don't remember fighting a Berserker as the final boss of Dark Souls. I remember having a sword fight with a leaping maelstrom of death.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    Heracles is as much a leaping maelstrom of death that Gwyn was. Also, I'm pretty sure Saber class servants are skilled swordsmen who would not be so easily parried by loincloth-wearing pygmies as Gwyn was.

I get the impression from his AI that it isn't really smart, at least comparatively not as smart as Ornstein's and Smough's.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very good, Verg, but I think you should deny him the sword unless he's summoned as a Saber. Way too broken otherwise with his high-level magecraft on top of all that! Archer gets away with it because he's an archer that fires swords as arrows in the first place, and Gil gets away with it because his whole gimmick is that he can summon-spam every weapon he ever owned, but Cu doesn't get Fragarach or his chariot when summoned as a Lancer (he also had a sword besides Fragarch IIRC), nor does Diramuid get his swords, Greater Fury and Lesser Fury, when summoned as a Lancer.
    To be honest, it was either going to be his sword or something conceptual about sacrificing his sister to get out of sure-death situation. But that would have probably become a bit too morbid as a Noble Phantasm, hence I went with the sword. The thing is, it was pretty given for Finnish mythological heroes to have a sword as a side-arm, so I thought he would have it to give him at least some other Noble Phantasm. But yes, with the sword, he would be more of a Saber. Then again, the general feeling Joukahainen gives, and his story, is pretty.....un-Saberish.
    Joukahainen is basically a Caster who happened to own a magical bow and a magical sword, so him still using his magecraft along with the bow when summoned as an Archer is okay (as would him using his magecraft and the sword when summoned a Saber), but granting him both NPs on top of his magecraft is too haxxed.
    True, true. Funny thing though, I think pretty much every single hero from Kalevala (with exception of Lemminkäinen, who'd have a kickass horn, though) could be summoned as a Caster.
    Otherwise it was great, and I liked that you gave Luvia an Archer to rival Rin's own! Also, your description of the crossbow as big and bulky makes me picture the giant crossbows used by Arbalists in Etrian Odyssey 3. And that is now my head-canon for what Joukahainen's Bow of Hiisi looks like!
    The idea of the crossbow being ridiculously huge came from the fact that in the legend of Lemminkäinen, the moose of Hiisi is described as this ridiculously big beast. So I figured that if the main components come from something big, the thing itself is going to be big. Glad you liked it, though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Great Uncle Ea: HNNNNGGGGG!!!

Correction, Cu doesn't get his chariot when he's summoned outside of Ireland. It has nothing to do with him being a Lancer, and in fact is specifically mentioned as one of the boosts he'd get if he were summoned closer to his cultural sphere of influence.

Blog Entries
    Actually, from what I know of Cu, he had a charioteer who took a spear meant for him.

Basically, there was this triumvirate where Cu was the king, his bud was the king of charioteers, and his horse was the king of horses. The dude who wanted vengeance made three spears that would heatseek kings, but phailed so hard that he only got Cu on the third throw.

Cu himself never actually drove the chariot iirc, it was the so called 'king of charioteers' who did it for him.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Afaik, no warriors on a chariot actually drove their chariots. What would be the point? Keeping your hands occupied with the bridle means you can't throw your arrows/spears.

Blog Entries
    >No warriors on a chariot actually drove their chariots
    >Nasu!Iskander

I guess I wasn't making a point in that previous post, just putting a tidbit up there because he might get 'the king of charioteers' along with his chariot and castle.

Blog Entries
    You are now imagining Lancer standing on the back of a huge-ass chariot, while double-wielding Gae Bolg and Duaibsech.

Blog Entries
    Clearly, in the Nasuverse the King of Chariots and the King of Horses are going to be one and the same, a horse so stately it's a double king.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    ^^ but of course! :P

And if you think that's a bad sign, wait until he comes off it and joins the battle personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    >No warriors on a chariot actually drove their chariots
    >Nasu!Iskander
    Actually, Iskander never drove a chariot. Gordius Wheel is a reinterpretation of him cutting the Gordian Knot.

Plus, come on... it would be meh to summon Heroic Spirit Rider, only to have two heroic spirits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post
    Actually, Iskander never drove a chariot. Gordius Wheel is a reinterpretation of him cutting the Gordian Knot.
    I'm not talking about rl Iskander. There's a reason why I said Nasu!Iskander and not simply Iskander.

Nasuverse Iskander obviously drives chariots, he does it in the novel, anime and even has the appropriate riding skill for it.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Yes, but that's ok. It's not like he needs free hands to wield (other) weapons. The weapon is the chariot, and a quite powerful one at that.

Blog Entries
    I no longer know what the hell your thesis statement is.

Giving up, too lazy to bother anymore

Blog Entries
    My thesis is that Lancer doesn't need his hands free, either, because the double king of horses will trample you to death. Not sure what Sherry's getting at.

Does the double king of horses have 8 legs? THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Actually, screw Lancer's chariot. The Piercing Castle of Death Flight is much cooler.