Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrace tophats View Post
    i don't see anything bad with his reasoning. it is not like he wants to hold hands and sing along, just to kill the people who give rise to war and conflict.
    You're mixing up method and objective, don't do that.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    075, 659, 211
    Quote Originally Posted by *Snow View Post
    Nera is much more elegant.
    It's naht.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickdrew View Post
    Mira is our magical girl casting beautiful drawings spells for the world to enjoy.

It's a miracle, hallelujah!
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    throw the bikini in there and I'll spend so much even paitouch and that other whale whose name escapes me would be like whoa....take it down a notch, their are kids starving in Africa ha' know?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    fuk u storm lioncirculatory organ

FGO JP Team
    FGO NA Team

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    i don't see anything bad with his reasoning.
    Very crude utilitarianism as a way to universal happiness? Yeah, I don't know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    You're mixing up method and objective, don't do that.

fair enough, but you can't fully separate the two either. again, how is his dream any different from say...the UN?

Blog Entries
    The issue with Kiritsugu is neither his end goal (world peace) nor his method (eliminating the few to help the many); neither of those make him immature.

The issue is that his method isn't in line with his goal and he literally can't think of any way to actually accomplish his goal, which is why he gets wrecked by Angra Mainyu at the end of Zero.

Aiming for a far-fetched ideal isn't bad. Desperately holding on to a childhood dream that you have no idea how to accomplish is.

TL;DR: The problem isn't with the goal, it's with Kiritsugu.
    Last edited by Siriel; September 9th, 2015 at 11:28 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by mirakura View Post
    It's naht.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinwood View Post
    adopts Shirou before dying sometime before story takes place.
    Dies just before the story takes place.
    I think he was the last thing keeping Shirou back from full savior mode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    TSUKI-KAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Pace Ossan, even GT can give you 詳しくは - "For more information". Doesn't understand what the buggery a『カプセルさーばんと』is or why there's a を there, but 詳しくは it can handle.
    yes that's the joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Banned
    The issue with Kiritsugu is neither his end goal (world peace) nor his method (eliminating the few to help the many); neither of those make him immature.

The issue is that his method isn't in line with his goal and he literally can't think of any way to actually accomplish his goal, which is why he gets wrecked by Angra Mainyu at the end of Zero.

Aiming for a far-fetched ideal isn't bad. Desperately holding on to a childhood dream that you have no idea how to accomplish is.

TL;DR: The problem isn't with the goal, it's with Kiritsugu.
    method 1- kill all the evil people
    method 2- use the omnipotent magical device

seems like he has the method down. not sure if he would be able to pull the first off by himself but that is besides the point

Blog Entries

seems like he has the method down. not sure if he would be able to pull the first off by himself but that is besides the point
    I am amazed by how badly you missed the entire point of Kiritsugu's role in Zero.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Banned
    I am amazed by how badly you missed the entire point of Kiritsugu's role in Zero.
    if you are asking me if i get some symbolic role that a character is meant to represent then no. i never gave two shits about that and i never will. i look at characters for who they are and what they have done. Symbolism can go shoot itself in the face as far as i am concerned.

(even though i understand your argument)
    Last edited by Embrace tophats; September 9th, 2015 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    It has nothing to do with symbolism or reading between the lines. Angra Mainyu nicely comes out and spells out Kiritsugu's problem for the audience at the end of Zero.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what's amazing. The author invokes an (for all intent and purposes) omniscient being to explain why it doesn't work, and people still somehow think Kiritsugu is a functioning individual.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    fair enough, but you can't fully separate the two either. again, how is his dream any different from say...the UN?
    For starters, the UN isn't just one man deciding who lives or dies.

To paraphrase what Siriel said in another thread, do you really want something that desires to kill all humans to say "man, what a great plan you have there"?

Even if Angra hadn't tainted the Grail, Kiritsugu's wish couldn't be achieved because he had no idea how to accomplish it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Banned
    It has nothing to do with symbolism or reading between the lines. Angra Mainyu nicely comes out and spells out Kiritsugu's problem for the audience at the end of Zero.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what's amazing. The author invokes an (for all intent and purposes) omniscient being to explain why it doesn't work, and people still somehow think Kiritsugu is a functioning individual.
    functioning? yes

the problem is that the grail is not what was advertised (corruption or not). as far as i can tell, he was told the mechanics and why it was omnipotent. they never told him he needed to know the method. also, by kiritsugu's method, the grail would probably kill half of the people on earth and prevent the birth of those akasha decided would be evil, but i guess Angra decided to be a dick and prevent the grail from doing that

How would he not have to know the method to archive something?
    Aus Feuer ward der Geist geschaffen,
    drum schenkt mir süßes Feuer ein!
    Die Lust der Lieder und der Waffen,
    die Lust der Liebe schenkt mir ein,
    der Trauben süßes Sonnenblut,
    das Wunder glaubt und Wunder thut!

functioning? yes

the problem is that the grail is not what was advertised (corruption or not). as far as i can tell, he was told the mechanics and why it was omnipotent. they never told him he needed to know the method. also, by kiritsugu's method, the grail would probably kill half of the people on earth and prevent the birth of those akasha decided would be evil, but i guess Angra decided to be a dick and prevent the grail from doing that
    Hmmm...I always thought Zero dealt more with human nature and less with the inherent mechanics of the Grail.

Banned
    Hmmm...I always thought Zero dealt more with human nature and less with the inherent mechanics of the Grail.
    except until the end when the grail went "fuck it! i'm omnipotent and react on voice command but you need to read the fine print in the manula first!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elthanes View Post
    How would he not have to know the method to archive something?
    archive?

when you ask a Djin for 3 wishes and assuming he doesn't screw you over, do you have to know the process that goes in to getting your wish right off the bat?

have you seen the movie "Absolutely anything"? the MC is omnipotent. he doesn't have to say how to stop war and reverse global warming. stuff just happens. in fact, omnipotency outright implies skipping any steps to achive the result and just reality warp the result into existence
    Last edited by Embrace tophats; September 9th, 2015 at 12:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    functioning? yes
    Seriously? Please go reread Zero.

the problem is that the grail is not what was advertised (corruption or not). as far as i can tell, he was told the mechanics and why it was omnipotent. they never told him he needed to know the method.
    If you can't see the problem with having a goal and not being able to figure out how to accomplish it with world-shaping power, you need to reflect on it.

also, by kiritsugu's method, the grail would probably kill half of the people on earth and prevent the birth of those akasha decided would be evil, but i guess Angra decided to be a dick and prevent the grail from doing that
    I...what?

What does evil even have to do with anything?

- - - Updated - - -

It does. Kiritsugu's goal is fundamentally opposite to humanity itself, so he can't figure out how to accomplish it except by using a method that would wipe out humanity. The Grail is only there to serve as a demonstration of that by having Angra Mainyu point out that even with the power to shape the world, Kiritsugu wouldn't be able to bring about world peace except by destroying humanity.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    yes that's the joke.
    We know. We are enjoying it.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

except until the end when the grail went "fuck it! i'm omnipotent and react on voice command but you need to read the fine print in the manula first!"
    I think that's the entire point, though. It's definitely not the first story where wishes come with fine print, with the message being essentially that people are flawed, hence their wishes are flawed. An inherently flawed wish gets an equally flawed fulfillment. People cannot percieve the flaws in their wishes, but an omnipotent entity can.

Banned
    Seriously? Please go reread Zero.
    depends if you consider being obcessed and feeling pain and guilt from happiness is being functional. i do. he can do the job he does and can live by himself and is able to have some degree of a social/family life. i call that being functional