Page 7360 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 6360686072607310735073557358735973607361736273657370741074607860 ... LastLast
Results 147,181 to 147,200 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    true, but recently i found out that "Human World" can apparently be translated to "the shared dream of humanity" and i remember Ryougi in KnK mentioning that "reality keeps everyone asleep" or something like that or maybe about reality being a dream and then we have characters creating realities out of dreams, like Ryougi can, so i am just seeing a lot of Azatoth paralels
    think of something similar to elder scrolls metaphysics, alaya (nasu and tm writers) is the godhead and ryougi has achieved CHIM
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Just reading that makes me want to translate it myself, so I can actually understand what the hell is being said.

Irrelevant to the conversation now, but I might as well post it anyways since I went through the trouble.

A single crossing of blades,
    And yet a contest continuing towards infinity.
    The two will continue their fight to the death forever.
    A single duel repeated without limit, for all time. There is no end.
    This is not the World,
    Neither a phenomenon to be changed, nor an event to be culled.
    A rift within the expanse between Dreams and Reality.
    An impossible space, where Infinity and Zero intersect.

I have nothing against this fallacies person, but Dullahan's words speak to my soul.
    Just a heads up, I think you missed that the two phenomena are actually specific terms, so I wouldn't change them. Even if it does make it flow better.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Assuming you're referring to "Permissible for Revision" and "Designated for Culling," the specific terms (編纂事象 and 剪定事象) aren't strictly written, so I didn't strictly write them in English either.

(Though that's really just a fluke, as I don't know anything about Extella besides what I've been reading in the Extella Glossary today)

Speaking of reading things in the Extella Glossary, is the whole process of timelines being culled understood to be strictly referring to the records in the Moon Cell? I've spent far more time than I would like to admit trying to figure out how that whole process works, but I can't seem to justify the idea without restricting its existence to the Moon Cell.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

It is assumed that the conception of timelines as potentialities to which energy is allotted or denied by a universal administrator is valid outside of the Extraverse because it is compatible with the existing narratives of human struggle and stagnation, as well as the world-ending mechanism that is the Sixth.

It seems pointless to speculate how that is possible, as surely some rationalisation will be invented if it is ever relevant.
    Last edited by Leftovers; April 14th, 2020 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    do you have a single
    piece of japanese text
    fact
    to back that up?
    would have to find which exact Fallacies post was that

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    do you have a single
    piece of japanese text
    fact
    to back that up?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Assuming you're referring to "Permissible for Revision" and "Designated for Culling," the specific terms (編纂事象 and 剪定事象) aren't strictly written, so I didn't strictly write them in English either.

(Though that's really just a fluke, as I don't know anything about Extella besides what I've been reading in the Extella Glossary today)

Speaking of reading things in the Extella Glossary, is the whole process of timelines being culled understood to be strictly referring to the records in the Moon Cell? I've spent far more time than I would like to admit trying to figure out how that whole process works, but I can't seem to justify the idea without restricting its existence to the Moon Cell.
    El-Melloi II (as a Pseudo of Zhuge Liang) mentions it in the Accel Zero FGO event, though he himself says the topic isn't his expertise.

Per Fallacies:
    @ El-Melloi
    You're referring to a set of parallel worlds that fall within a Primary Branch ......
    The "Items Permissible to Revision" (編纂事象, Hensan Jijyou, lit. "Editable Items / Phenomena"), within which the same futures manifest even if some degree of divergence exists, and the parallel worlds of those Branches fated for destruction, which form as entirely separate realities ...
    The "Items Designated for Omission" (剪定事象, Sentei Jijyou, lit. "Items / Phenomenon for Pruning").

short version: 彼は夢魔、​知性体が睡眠状態に構築する集合無意識に介入できる数少ない魔術師だ。​その特性を利用して、 ​マーリンはずっとある神の眠りの中にいたんだろう。

long version: 夢魔とは人間の精神に寄生する精神体でね。
    +
    単独顕現:単体で現世に現れるスキル。​
    +
    幻術:人を惑わす魔術。​精神への介入、現実世界への虚像投影などを指す。​Aランクともなると精神世界に おける悪夢はもちろん、現実においても一つの村程度の虚像を軽く作りあげ、人々を欺く事ができ る。​
    +
    彼は夢魔、​知性体が睡眠状態に構築する集合無意識に介入できる数少ない魔術師だ。​その特性を利用して、 ​マーリンはずっとある神の眠りの中にいたんだろう。
    =
    reality is a dream and that's why merlin can pop up wherever he wants

superfluous sources to justify wasting time to track them down:
    Spoiler:
    [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

requisite tl;dr:

Quote Originally Posted by https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/type-moon-general.4892/post-12132661
    He has the capacity to project Illusions into anything that qualifies as a Dream; and as "the World of Man" is semantically "the shared Dream of Humanity," everything that he did in the first arc of Babylonia technically classifies as a projected Illusion. That is, his Illusions are so "real" that they can directly exert an effect on physical existences in the manifest reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/general-type-moon-discussion-thread-2-unlimited-titles-works-please-read-the-threadmarks.795493/post-64928187
    Recall that Illusionism permits for an intervention unto the psyche, and a Projection of Illusions unto the real World. Above, we find that the "intervention" of Incubi unto the psyche possibly bears the meaning of directly "entering" into somebody else's dreams.

Also, the "Projection of Illusions unto reality" may be semantically the same ability as "intervention unto a psyche (a dream)"; which may semantically by the same ability as the Skill of Independent Manifestation.

That is, note here that Merlin's nature as an Incubus somehow lends him a unique advantage in the capacity of intervention unto "the Collective Unconscious (集合無意識, shuugou muishiki) constructed by Sapients as of the state of sleep." Being that the Human Order / the World of Man is what it is; being that we're told that Merlin somehow cobbled together a rendition of Independent Manifestation from his existing abilities, how are we to interpret the "shadow" that walked at Guda's side?

To me, the obvious interpretation is that the "reality" within the World of Man is itself semantically the same variety of existence as a dream — the dream shared as of the Collective Unconscious of Man. Ergo, just as an Incubus borne of capability in Illusionism would be able to project himself into a dream; able to project Illusions as to manipulate phenomena within a dream, so Merlin should be capable of projecting himself into the World of Man; capable of projecting Illusions as to manipulate phenomena within the World of Man.

personal disclaimer: ↘
    Last edited by Leftovers; April 14th, 2020 at 09:30 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    To add to what the others already said, Amakusa even mentions the thing about timelocks being set at the end of every century in Shimousa IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Going by what you listed:

Achilles: He has Affection of the Goddess B because he's loved by his mother, the goddess Tethys. It's just a buff to all stats except Magic and Luck.

Orion: He has Blessing of the Sea God B and Pressure of the Moon Goddess EX because the former is his dad and the latter is his unofficial girlfriend. Neither is very close to Affection of the Gods in name but so is everything else. The Poseidon one is walking sea water, never drowning and summoning rain at will. The Artemis one is a buff to all stats, especially Strenght.

Caenis: Has Preference of the Sea God A. Conceptual Defense that makes him immortal. The profile also mentions that one is actually a Constantly Active Noble Phantasm, but doesn't give us the NP's name, which is really bad profiling.

Europa: Affection of the King of the Gods A+, which is a supposedly a lot of buffs, none of them getting specified. It normally accompanies Hera's wrath but not for Europa because of she's
    pretending to be braindead
    such a nice girl

Dioscuri: I'm not sure which Skill you actually mean in their case, but I'll assume it's Stars of the King of the Gods A, which represent how they used two individuals but got unified when they became the Gemini constellation.

So, yes, you're right in saying the Skills have wildly different effects, but I believe they definitely should have because they all have completely different names.

The only one with a Skill actually named Affection of the Gods is Oddysseus (ironically enough, not on the list) and that's actually an interesting case. The Affection of the Gods Skill is a Skill that only exists in his profile, while in gameplay he has his Affection of Hermes and Affection of Athena as completely separate things. So, the real Affection of the Gods Skill simply multiple divine blessing Skills put on the same box. With this kind of nature, it makes sense for the effects of the real Affection of the Gods to be completely varied, so it turns out the initial statement of this discussion was accidently right after all.
    You detailed it very well. I think that in general it is the same ability with its differentials, unique effects due to circumstances (Gods, mith...).

I had forgotten about of Paris. He also gets on that list.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    There's a few more Affection of X skills that are more specific as well, like Nitocris, Kerry and Anadusa.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    personal disclaimer: ↘
    ok fine

merlin can fuck with minds and put tiamat('s mind) to sleep
    EITHER
    with incubus powers [Merlin: Incubi are spirits that feed on the minds of humans.]
    OR
    his illusion skill [Magic that bewilder others. An interference of the mind, indicating false image projection and the likes to the real world.]

EITHER
    real merlin entered tiamat's sleep and projected himself into the real world [Roman: I bet Merlin used that ability to stay in Tiamat's slumbering mind for a long time.​ He was probably keeping her asleep.​ Only an apparition of him was with you.​]
    OR
    real merlin's status in the real world affects his ability to keep tiamat in the dream [Merlin: I can't explain it, but it'd be REALLY bad if I lost consciousness!]

EITHER
    tiamat awoke and "killed" real merlin inside the dream and projected merlin disappeared [Roman: But now his true body has been killed.​ He would've been more or less invincible in a sleeper's deep dream, but that ability has one fatal flaw: REM sleep.​ If the sleeper's consciousness becomes partially awake, all of the dream world will turn against the invader.​ When Gorgon died, that consciousness stirred.​ Half-awake, it was able to capture and obliterate Merlin.]
    OR
    tiamat awoke and "killed" real merlin in the real world [Merlin, not yet dead: Return to Uruk, quickly. It's awakened, but it hasn't started moving yet.]

merlin survived because he can retreat back to "the world of dreams" [Merlin: I didn't mention this before, but I'm immortal!​ After all, I'm a half-incubus.​ The second this body is smashed, I will reappear in the world of dreams!​ But I'll need some time to return, so let's decide on a place to meet!] -> 夢の世界逃げ込む

the world of dreams is avalon/the other side
    [Merlin: Hahaha, no, of course not. Re-summoning is impossible. There's a simpler explanation. I am the real deal, the genuine Merlin. I just popped over from Avalon!]
    and Merlin can travel between it and the real world
    [Merlin: Ah, with the Earth a blank slate from humanity's incineration, I was able to sneak through fairyland!]
    just because he wants to
    [I do hate sad partings. Letting death be what separates us would have just been too depressing!]
    and he's that good
    [Therefore, I bent the rules just a liiiiiittle bit and escaped my tower of imprisonment.]
    probably by way of his independent manifestation skill
    [A skill to appear in the present world independently. Normally, Merlin cannot be summoned as a Heroic Spirit. That is due to him not dying in any version of future. Him serving the Master as a Servant is just him venting out his personal desire. Frankly, it's just a hobby. For the sake of actualizing this hobby, he acquires this skill that only a special class (Beast) can have and pretend to be summoned as a Servant.]

merlin's ability to enter/influence dreams and his ability to manifest into the real world ≠ the real world is a dream.

consider avalon/the other side as a "dream" into which merlin "retreats" when he is killed:

(relevance of the planet being described as dreaming re: archetype earth uncertain - as a product of crimson moon's reality marble?)

Then, what is 知性体が睡眠状態に構築する集合無意識? A particularly flowery description of dreams or a misuse of the term "collective unconscious", or both.
    Is there a meaningful difference between describing the current texture of reality as a collective dream as opposed to a collective will or a collective wish? No, probably not.
    Last edited by Leftovers; April 14th, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean that Merlin post was just her theorizing based off existing stuff. Whether it's true or not is still up in the air, she's just made one case for one POV on it.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is there a meaningful difference between describing the current texture of reality as a collective dream as opposed to a collective will or a collective wish? .

sorry not sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    I mean that Merlin post was just her theorizing based off existing stuff. Whether it's true or not is still up in the air, she's just made one case for one POV on it.
    Sure. I only included the posts where she went "the world is a dream, probably" without source or asterisks because my major peeve with using falla's posts as a resource other than style is how often her speculations are - without judgment on my part as to any possible intent on either her or others' part - taken up as fact. As can be seen in the post that prompted this.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post

sorry not sorry
    Why are you sorry for speaking the truth?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure. I only included the posts where she went "the world is a dream, probably" without source or asterisks because my major peeve with using falla's posts as a resource other than style is how often her speculations are - without judgment on my part as to any possible intent on either her or others' part - taken up as fact. As can be seen in the post that prompted this.
    I understand that her TLs can be wordy and her speculations are taken over others due to lack of relevant TLs for other speculations in other places. My only problem here is that some people are too willing to write her off without explaining why, and it's not like she can't take valid criticism/proofreading if explained to her.

I don't really want to say too much about a person without them present. You're right in that it's not conducive towards discussion that hardly anyone cares to criticise her renderings in depth; on the other hand there is a long history of arguments and a slew of reasons why these conversations don't happen. The spheres where her translations are used don't intersect with BL often anyhow.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't really want to say too much about a person without them present. You're right in that it's not conducive towards discussion that hardly anyone cares to criticise her renderings in depth; on the other hand there is a long history of arguments and a slew of reasons why these conversations don't happen. The spheres where her translations are used don't intersect with BL often anyhow.
    Hope it wasn't too disruptive this time round.

Speaking of other topics, I'm still confused on why there's a South American connection to Mesoamerican gods like Quetz. Any ideas why?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ignorance and lack of research.

They just think everything bellow the US is South America.

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    I'm willing to bet that it's because TM sees anything below the US as South America.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?