Page 7435 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 643569357335738574257430743374347435743674377440744574857535 ... LastLast
Results 148,681 to 148,700 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

So basically

Parallel worlds are just the broad term for all timelines

Adjacent worlds are those close to each other and share many similarities with each other like the Fate timelines but those like the tsukihime, tsuki and notes timelines cant be called an adjacent world to the fate ones

Pruning is when a timeline has no hope of generating any possibilities because its either too peaceful or chaotic. So it has nothing to do with branching too far from the others. Jumping between adjacent worlds. Isnt 2nd magic required to do this?

Quantum timelocks are like the shared events between 2 or more timelines. It doesnt necessarily have to be a perferct copy with each other just the general events. If i remember right the plot of FGO by goetia was to change those timelocks so does that mean that if he had succeded he could have changed the whole nasuverse or at least the fate ones? Someone told me that his plot only affects the GO timeline because affecting the whole nasuverse requires the 2nd magic.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Peanut-007's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    *Angry Saber Noises*
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverse_side98 View Post
    So basically

Adjacent worlds are those close to each other and share many similarities with each other like the Fate timelines but those like the tsukihime, tsuki and notes timelines cant be called an adjacent world to the fate ones

Pruning is when a timeline has no hope of generating any possibilities because its either too peaceful or chaotic. So it has nothing to do with branching too far from the others. Jumping between adjacent worlds. Isnt 2nd magic required to do this?

Quantum timelocks are like the shared events between 2 or more timelines. It doesnt necessarily have to be a perferct copy with each other just the general events. If i remember right the plot of FGO by goetia was to change those timelocks so does that mean that if he had succeded he could have changed the whole nasuverse or at least the fate ones? Someone told me that his plot only affects the GO timeline because affecting the whole nasuverse requires the 2nd magic.
    Goetia's plan is to gather up energy so he can go back in time to the creation of the universe, become god, and delete humanity from ever existing. To do this he incinerates history and gathers up the heat from that. Then he throws seven grails through time to the foundations of human history where they start fucking things up. As for whether it affects the whole multiverse, I believe it does but I couldn't honestly say for sure.

"We have entered an infinite recursion of Saber."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It only affects the local Time Tree, FGO Illya, Miyu and Kuro are from a world unaffected by the incineration.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse_side98 View Post
    So basically

Time travel has been confirmed to count as 2nd magic so requiring 2nd magic means nothing in this case. Goetia`s plan is to go back to the creation of earth 4.6 billion years ago, become basically Gaia and when the time comes to create humans, make them immortal cuz death sucks. Considering the possible ramifications of immortal humans yeah, the whole nasuverse would probably be unrecongnizable. Although we dont know weather Goetia`s stance is Fuck Vampires! or Fucking Vampires! probably the latter considering his human obsession

- - - Updated - - -

also since Pruning is very Human and Alaya centric, its quite possible this whole thing has only been going on for like...12k years at most not the whole 4.6 billion

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    It only affects the local Time Tree, FGO Illya, Miyu and Kuro are from a world unaffected by the incineration.
    KnK getting burned down is what kickstarted its event though.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    KnK isn't as separate from FGO as Prillya, and Illya and co were brought over to a RM/Mirror World (the setting of the event) and went back to their home just fine in the end. If Prillya was incinerated, they wouldn't have been able to return home at all, let alone come over in the first place.

Blog Entries
    worlds where humanity goes extinct get pruned? damn bro, that sucks. i wish there was some kind of GUARDIAN to COUNTER that...some kind of force which would manifest in proportion to the threat to humanity's survival in order to DETER things that would cause extinction from happening at any cost...bro...

...cause i know it'd really suck if I made a deal to become one of those COUNTER GUARDIANS and it turned out that all the work i did after death preventing humanity from getting destroyed doesn't actually matter because if they do get destroyed the timeline gets pruned anyway so why am I even there? bro?
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    To wonder one day if you can stay consistently logical without slipping into dull idiocy.

Blog Entries
    this is the trouble with taking TM more seriously than they do themselves
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's also the trouble with going off tanget for no reason.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    To wonder one day if you can stay consistently logical without slipping into dull idiocy.
    Dullahan without the dull moments is just Ahan.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean if Ahan has more than what Dull gave us then I'm all for it.

Blog Entries
    it is an interesting question, though, is it not? does the 'timeline pruning' concept extend the role of CGs or make it redundant?

because it would seem at first glance that it does the latter. since, from fsn onward, we were told that CGs get summoned to stop things that would destroy humanity - but it has now become established that even if things like that do happen the timeline gets pruned anyway. so what is the point of summoning a CG to stop it?

h o w e v e r

if it is, as it has been alluded to, the case that the 'agent' which prunes timelines within the realm of human awareness is in some sense 'alaya' itself - then pruning could be considered an 'in extremis' case of the same mechanism which summons CGs. i.e. pruning as something that happens to a world when no potential CG summon would be able to prevent it from going to fuck. one would infer here that a timeline is pruned at that point where it becomes more 'expensive' in terms of 'energy' [whatever is meant when they explain pruning] to nudge it back on course than to maintain it, e.g., by summoning in EMIYA to kill people

which leads us to another possibility, which is that, if timelines where humanity 'does too well' [to grossly abbreviate] are also pruned - is it also the case that a CG would be summoned to stop something which would otherwise bring about a 'utopia' of this kind?

because, if CG summoning occurs for the same reason pruning does, to keep humanity within a certain 'range' on the spectrum of outcomes - then we must admit the possibility that CGs are also summoned to prevent things from getting too good
    Last edited by Dullahan; September 28th, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I can't help but feel like pruning, as a Nasuverse concept, is stupid. It's unnecessary, unjustified, unexplained, and adds nothing of value to the setting. All it serves to do is create a vague, nebulous bogeyman that hides behind the actual antagonist to "raise the stakes," as if they needed any raising if the villain was already capable of doing something impressive enough to justify the pruning in the first place.

The only way I can think of justifying it at all is as an internal mechanism of the Moon Cell, which makes it effectively a non-issue for the vast majority of the setting.

Change my mind.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's the answer to infinite timelines, which isn't to say it's not totally contrived. But I wouldn't say it's unexplained.

Blog Entries
    NRx Nasu

NRx Nasu

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I take it pruning is what happens after Counter Guardians fail. Alaya's policy of "if you can't beat the game, dump the cartridge in the trash".

As for CGs preventing utopias, I don't see why they wouldn't. How well or bad humanity is doing is irrelevant, the only thing that matter is to prevent history from reaching a stalemate. The Chinese Lostbelt, for example, wasn't a pruning target because everyone was illiterate cattle, it was a pruning target but the entire world was unified under one immortal, so the game state hasn't changed for the past 2 millennia. It all comes down to Alaya not wanting to waste its time with a world where nothing is happening.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    KnK isn't as separate from FGO as Prillya, and Illya and co were brought over to a RM/Mirror World (the setting of the event) and went back to their home just fine in the end. If Prillya was incinerated, they wouldn't have been able to return home at all, let alone come over in the first place.
    Plot twist, Prillya got incinerated as soon as the girls got back home.

Blog Entries
    there is nothing inherently 'wrong' with 'pruning' - and I can say very much the same for any concept, even the silliest - provided, and this is a big 'provided', so big that I will write it again in a larger font, provided that one is willing to think through its consequences to the utmost. it is generally the case that TM's writers are unwilling or unable to do this. that is their problem. it does not have to be ours, necessarily

- - - Updated - - -

now, for instance, if it were nasu's intention to - retroactively - make EMIYA's predicament about a thousand percent more horrifying and tragic by dint of these statements on 'pruning' - screencap this for when it turns out to be Muramasa's motivation btw - then we must say bravo, for he has succeeded masterfully, with a subtlety quite beyond the vulgar
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

I'd be more okay with pruning if it was somehow used to tell interesting stories. So far it hasn't truly been necessary at all.