Page 7508 of 7877 FirstFirst ... 650870087408745874987503750675077508750975107513751875587608 ... LastLast
Results 150,141 to 150,160 of 157539

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    It should be a bannable offense to use Daemon as a term in that context again.
    Works for 40k.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    So, was Zouken a student of Paracelsus', a contemporary, or a fellow student of some other magus?

- - - Updated - - -

It should be a bannable offense to use Daemon as a term in that context again.
    Daemon was the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Contemporary
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Member of the Ala Iridia MarqFJA87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Ma

Incarnated demon, but when you don't proofread.
    ... But the corresponding Japanese term (受肉した悪魔) uses Akuma, not just Ma.

US Friend Code
    Why is Gandr apparently considered rune magecraft? No one who uses it ever draws a rune.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarqFJA87 View Post
    What's with the disproportionate hostility?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Daemon was the original.
    It's a dumb perpetuated fan TL because some TM Wiki editor was butthurt at the term not being translated. True Demon/devil is a better TL, and I have no real patience for it being misused in incorrect contexts.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Works for 40k.
    There are no such thing as demons in 40k though, only daemons. A most sensible choice.

Wait what's the japanese translation for 40k daemons
    Last edited by Zork Knight; May 14th, 2021 at 01:59 AM.

Is there any real difference between demons and daemons in or out of universe? Etymologically, demon comes from daemon, and the same is true conceptually, and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two terms.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Why is Gandr apparently considered rune magecraft? No one who uses it ever draws a rune.
    https://norwegianscitechnews.com/201...orcery-really/
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is there any real difference between demons and daemons in or out of universe? Etymologically, demon comes from daemon, and the same is true conceptually, and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two terms.
    The latter isn't the term to use for translation isn't reason enough for you? Might as well start using Void Space/Tree of Emptiness/Altria and so on if you don't mind mixing up terms for no reason.

That was actually super interesting, and it's kinda funny that the odd anti-Sami racism actually makes them sound way cooler than they probably were. I mean, they probably were, and still are, cool, but not as cool as curse-flinging badasses. Also, Nasu clearly did his research, since all the descriptions of gand are seemingly covered in his gandr and finn shots. It makes sense that the Edelfelts, as Finnish magi, got good at it and defined it's use for the modern era (though personally, I hc them as German transplants to the area, as opposed to Finno-Ugric people).

- - - Updated - - -

The latter isn't the term to use for translation isn't reason enough for you? Might as well start using Void Space/Tree of Emptiness/Altria and so on if you don't mind mixing up terms for no reason.
    Fair point, but IMO, the others do actually cause semantic confusion and miscommunicate crucial concepts, BUT daemon vs demon doesn't really. It just comes across as an interesting spelling choice because the difference between the two is essentially dependent on the work itself, and given that Nasu seemingly makes no such differentiation between daemons and demons, is it really worth getting all worked up over? I mean, obviously, since daemon is a fan TL, it has less weight, but still, there isn't really a difference between the two words here.

From what I saw, "daemon" is used more to refer to the classical mythology lesser deity/nature spirit.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    From what I saw, "daemon" is used more to refer to the classical mythology lesser deity/nature spirit.
    Yeah, that is true, but I feel Nasu's definitions of demons come pretty close to that classical definition, and honestly, the term has been used for other quite different concepts in fiction. I guess if they're supposed to be evil, though, devil might be a better localization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I don't remember any mention of devils being able to possess non-human objects.
    Correctly. They can't. rather than a distinct being (e.g. an oni of the kind that crossbreeds with humans to create tohnos etc., which would be generally categorised as 魔) - 悪魔 is more like a kind of 'substance' - hence why it is called the 第六架空要素 - which is wholly passive and only 'responds to' human wishes/desires/prayers.
    Quote Originally Posted by the wiki
    Daemons (悪魔 Akuma; sing. “Daemonium”)
    lol. classic falla making things more complicated than they need to be
    if you're not going to use latin plurals you have no business trying to force in a latin singular
    Last edited by Dullahan; May 14th, 2021 at 03:18 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

t makes sense that the Edelfelts, as Finnish magi, got good at it and defined it's use for the modern era (though personally, I hc them as German transplants to the area, as opposed to Finno-Ugric people)..
    Edelfelt is a name of a real (minor) noble family in Finland, of Swedish descent.
    Gandr is kind of a Scandi thing, not a Finnic thing but I guess that article makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CO9p5JMGv!p9 View Post
    Edelfelt is a name of a real (minor) noble family in Finland, of Swedish descent.
    Gandr is kind of a Scandi thing, not a Finnic thing but I guess that article makes sense.
    Huh, the more you know, and by the "it makes sense that the Edelfelts as Finns are good at it", I meant that since the art was attributed by Norsemen to Finns and Sami, it makes sense Nasu would make it a signature spell of a Finnish magus family.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Wait what's the japanese translation for 40k daemons
    afaik it's ディーモン
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fair point, but IMO, the others do actually cause semantic confusion and miscommunicate crucial concepts, BUT daemon vs demon doesn't really. It just comes across as an interesting spelling choice because the difference between the two is essentially dependent on the work itself, and given that Nasu seemingly makes no such differentiation between daemons and demons, is it really worth getting all worked up over? I mean, obviously, since daemon is a fan TL, it has less weight, but still, there isn't really a difference between the two words here.
    There is? Daemon in Fate is used in describing Chaldea's LAPLACE (Cyber-Daemon). With a term separate from the ones here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Correctly. They can't. rather than a distinct being (e.g. an oni of the kind that crossbreeds with humans to create tohnos etc., which would be generally categorised as 魔) - 悪魔 is more like a kind of 'substance' - hence why it is called the 第六架空要素 - which is wholly passive and only 'responds to' human wishes/desires/prayers.

lol. classic falla making things more complicated than they need to be
    if you're not going to use latin plurals you have no business trying to force in a latin singular
    It wasn't fallacies, she just left it as it was. Someone else decided to be a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by From Fallacies
    So, to set the record straight:

• On the Wikia, I made an elaboration of "ma" in the context of Nasu, and then of "Oni" and "Demons"
    • A certain Wikia editor / Reddit poster decided that he didn't like that I left "ma" untranslated, and decided to rename the article "demon," despite "ma" not specifically referring to a demonic entity per the general understanding in popular media. He then renamed every instance of the word "Demon" in the Wikia to "Daemon," despite the fact that this would probably be taken to generally refer to the concept per computer science. Incidentally, "Demon" is the standard translation of 悪魔 (akuma).
    • He then publicized his great contributions to the Wikia in Reddit.
    • The result is that the Demons / Daemons articles on the Wikia are complete trash. Also as a consequence (because the guy edit-warred me constantly), I decided not to continue bothering with the editing of the Wikia.
    • Because my name appears in the Wikia article's history, and because the editor went on to randomly smear me in Reddit, people like this guy above occasionally insult me without provocation.
    Would be nice if people bothered researching next time.

There is? Daemon in Fate is used in describing Chaldea's LAPLACE (Cyber-Daemon). With a term separate from the ones here.
    It wasn't fallacies, she just left it as it was. Someone else decided to be a dumbass.

Would be nice if people bothered researching next time.
    I see. Good to know.

Blog Entries
    nyoro~n
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう