Page 7457 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 645769577357740774477452745574567457745874597462746775077557 ... LastLast
Results 149,121 to 149,140 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    I don't think you know what etymology means.
    Nah, Dullahan's correct. 人 read as "man", the other kanji split into 王 for "king" and 里 for... probably "country" I guess. More like "Kingdom of Man", I guess, but that's kind of playing hopscotch with the reading.

What I'm saying is that it's not a 40k reference, Nasu's just real into Christian theology and the contrast between the Kingdom of Man vs. Kingdom of Heaven, a.k.a. the Age of Gods, no I haven't ever heard of a "Jimmu" why are you asking, in this dissertation I will

Quote Originally Posted by neveron View Post
    Nah, Dullahan's correct. 人 read as "man", the other kanji split into 王 for "king" and 里 for... probably "country" I guess. More like "Kingdom of Man", I guess, but that's kind of playing hopscotch with the reading.

What I'm saying is that it's not a 40k reference, Nasu's just real into Christian theology and the contrast between the Kingdom of Man vs. Kingdom of Heaven, a.k.a. the Age of Gods, no I haven't ever heard of a "Jimmu" why are you asking, in this dissertation I will
    Nope.
    The kanji 理 “logic; rational”

For the kanji 理, the left side of the ten style writing 王 was jewels strung together. Splitting a gem neatly along the natural cleavage signified the rational way to do something. The right side 里 was used phonetically for /ri/, and also contained 田 “rice paddies.” Rice paddies had levees that went through. Both components had the meaning of something going straight through. From that the kanji 理 meant “logic; rational.”
    There is no kun-yomi in the Joyo kanji. The on-yomi /ri/ is in 理解する (“to understand” /ri’kai-suru/), 理由 (“reason” /riyuu/), 無理な (“unreasonable” /mu’ri-na/) and 論理 (“logic” /ro’nri/).
    And anyway, blinging using etymology without considering the current usage of terms is meaningless. When I'm wearing pants I'm not trying to be a lion.
    Last edited by Herod; December 9th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    It's just a pun bro
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    >he doesn't know about the archaic roots of 理 in the 'division'/'patterning'/'ordering' as applied both to handicrafts (i.e. the 'polishing of jade' referred to by way of defining 理 in the Shouwen Jiezi) and to the 'ordering' or 'division' of pasture-land in ancient Chinese villages (as referred to in the earliest usages of 理 in e.g. the Xin Nan Sang in the Book of Odes)
    >he doesn't know about the ontological root of sovereignty as nomos, i.e. the unity of 'order' and 'orientation' manifested by concrete appropriation and division of the soil qua 'radical title' in the sense understood by Kant et al
    >he doesn't know about the Roman 'imperium' as a sovereign 'command' in both the abstract (i.e. sense of a general 'authority' or 'rule') and the concrete (i.e. as a specific 'order' or 'instruction' to do something)
    >he doesn't know that 理 is a variant used to write 理める (osameru, normally 治める) in the sense of ruling, governing, managing, administering, putting in order
    >he doesn't know that the term 理民, "ruling the people", is attested as early as the Shi Ji and as late as the Taiheiki

never gonna make it

incidentally in Chinese 理 can also mean 'grain' (in the sense of the patterns displayed on the surface of wood) or 'texture' which is also a pretty big thinker
    Last edited by Dullahan; December 9th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

You are playing with words, and you know it.

Blog Entries
    don't feel bad, my jokes are premium content for the elect few. for something more your speed, I suggest FGO gag events
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    don't feel bad, my jokes are premium content for the elect few. for something more your speed, I suggest FGO gag events
    ad hominem.

Well JPs love their word play and Nasu pretty explicitly does too.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Neeeeeeeeeerds.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Yet you still can't capitalize the starts of sentences.

わたりもの The Wanderer JusticeAmongSwords's Avatar
    Yet you still can't capitalize the starts of sentences.
    That's for "Premium + VIP DLC" content I'd say.

So, after finally getting to the F/SN VN, I can see that there are some issues, and not just the fact that I'm such a slow reader that it took over two hours to even get to the Opening. Like every English-speaking person who said that just reading the visual novel will answer any lingering questions clearly did not account for its questionable translation in a modern context. Or maybe my reading comprehension has gone down the drain lately. Either way I feel like I'm going to need to frequent this thread a lot, if only to nitpick some details that probably won't even matter in the end.

Anyways, my questions today concern this scene I played last night:
    Let's Play Archive for ease

First is this line Rin says: "…I think it's impossible, but I'll ask anyway. Could it be that you don't know how to handle the five main elements, or how to make a Pass?"
    I have no idea what a 'Pass' is. I did a brief look through on the wiki and the TMDict but that's about it since I doubt just looking up "Pass Fate Stay Night" will result in anything concrete in terms of answers.

Finally is this line: "'Ghost Magic' such as supplicating ghosts uses heroic spirits to make miracles happen.
    But the Servants are familiars of the heroes themselves..."

I have to be honest i went a bit cross-eyed. I don't know if I was sleepy or not but this line is just not making sense in my brain, and reading it after a good night's sleep is only barely helping. I'd rather just ask around here for clarification rather than possibly making a wrong assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony246 View Post
    I have no idea what a 'Pass' is. I did a brief look through on the wiki and the TMDict but that's about it since I doubt just looking up "Pass Fate Stay Night" will result in anything concrete in terms of answers.
    It has no relevance to the story.
    Finally is this line: "'Ghost Magic' such as supplicating ghosts uses heroic spirits to make miracles happen.
    But the Servants are familiars of the heroes themselves..."
    Servants are familiars, they are copies of the heroic spirits, and they have with their own will and their own body. They are not ghosts without will summoned to do your bidding, nor you are borrowing their power for yourself to use.
    Last edited by Herod; December 12th, 2020 at 01:19 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    PassesPaths are the literal paths that the magical energy takes to flow from the Master to the Servant.

Just read and enjoy tbh. You'll get more out of it and should be able to figure out most of it easily.

Blog Entries
    I’m a bit confused about the reasoning behind Caster Cuchulainn. From what I understand, it goes: Cu as a mage > Celtic mages are druids > Cu as a druid. But the result, especially his NP, seems very far from Cu’s legend and deeds. Is this something that would happen to any celtic Caster?
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    marie antoinette is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with the nasuverse

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Scientifically, it is impossible to throw a rock at someone, say something in German, and have it explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Don't step on the Saber, wild squirrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    I've learned from a certain Jedi master that when you got the high ground, you automatically win.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    See, I'd say that the absolutely worst thing about "Prisma Illya" is exactly the sexualisation of children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Open your mind. There are many paths in front of you
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    "I was under the influence of having a gun to shoot somebody."

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Washada View Post
    I’m a bit confused about the reasoning behind Caster Cuchulainn. From what I understand, it goes: Cu as a mage > Celtic mages are druids > Cu as a druid. But the result, especially his NP, seems very far from Cu’s legend and deeds. Is this something that would happen to any celtic Caster?
    Yes.
    It would seem all celtic Casters would get wickerman.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

I guess its a sort of "to rep celts you gotta have some sort of wickerman" and since Cu doesn't have something else that could be a main noble phantasm he gets that as celt stuff?

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Caster Cu is a mess that doesn't make any sort of sense, don't think too hard about it.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Caster Cu is a mess that doesn't make any sort of sense, don't think too hard about it.
    That's because he's actually Odin and they have yet to confirm it outright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.