Page 7476 of 7877 FirstFirst ... 647669767376742674667471747474757476747774787481748675267576 ... LastLast
Results 149,501 to 149,520 of 157539

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    But if the Rhinegold exists, then Siegfried has to be real, which we're led to believe he wasn't. Two guys having life stories this similar is funny, but you can only kill Fafnir once.

Unless the Rhinegold was the gold Sigurd retrieved, which then retroactively became cursed thanks to Wagner.
    Fafnir is a phenomenon like TATARI.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Napoleon said so in LB2, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I mean the GO war looks like it went pretty pear-shaped to me. The whole city was on fire.
    I always thought that was within acceptable standard deviations for the Einzberns. Aside from the collateral, everything proceeded without a hitch to the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Napoleon said so in LB2, right?
    Surtr becomes Fafnir by virtue of being the greediest person in the entire world at that point, yes. It also comes up even earlier in one of Siegfried's interludes, I think?

In any case, the basic idea seems to be that if anyone is overcome by greed to the point of being the greediest person in the world then they can literally start to become a dragon. This has happened at least twice in history, with them being killed by Sigurd and Siegfried respectively, and maybe more. I'm not sure if it's still a thing that can happen now that the Age of Gods is dead and buried, but maybe?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neveron View Post
    Surtr becomes Fafnir by virtue of being the greediest person in the entire world at that point, yes. It also comes up even earlier in one of Siegfried's interludes, I think?

In any case, the basic idea seems to be that if anyone is overcome by greed to the point of being the greediest person in the world then they can literally start to become a dragon. This has happened at least twice in history, with them being killed by Sigurd and Siegfried respectively, and maybe more. I'm not sure if it's still a thing that can happen now that the Age of Gods is dead and buried, but maybe?
    Sieg transformed over time into a dragon in Apocrypha.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Ah, cool, thanks. That's an impressive amount of mental gymnastics to make Siegfried be real.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Wait, but if the Rhinegold is probably what's responsible for all the Grail Wars going pear-shaped, then how did that not happen in the FGO timeline, unless Marisbury not using it to achieve the Third Magic counts as an effect of the curse on the Einzberns.
    The Grail was won be the one guy who would eventually use it to erase the world. That's arguably a far worse result than Angra Mainyu popping out of it.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    The cursed gold was present in Norse version of the story though.
    I'm aware, but that's not what was in dispute.

The original Norse legends had Andvari's cursed gold but the term Rheingold, and association with the Rhine river and Rhinemaidens, were I'm pretty sure inventions of Wagner inspired by Andvari's gold.
    There being treasure in the Rhine did actually come from the Nibelungenlied actually. After Siegfried's murder, his vast wealth goes to Kriemhild as part of her dowry. But Hagen, fearing retaliation via her amassing an army to avenge Siegfried's killing, steals the treasure whilst she is out riding one day with King Gunther and then proceeds to hide it by sinking it to the bottom of the Rhine.

There's a certain sense of irony in that despite wanting to use it later for themselves, Hagen and his co-conspirators never retrieved it as they swore an oath that they would only do so together so that no man would greedily take it all for himself. Thus since they all died the secret location gold became lost to everyone. I guess there is "honour among thieves" after all.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Whether a heroic spirit was "real" is pretty irrelevant due to how humanity manipulates reality

Blog Entries
    except when it actually is relevant when you need them to have 'really' been a big tiddy gf all along
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    10 years to kill Vort
    10 years of rule
    Saber is 35
    Romancing a poor impressionable 17 year old at her age, smh Saber

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    But if the Rhinegold exists, then Siegfried has to be real, which we're led to believe he wasn't. Two guys having life stories this similar is funny, but you can only kill Fafnir once.

Unless the Rhinegold was the gold Sigurd retrieved, which then retroactively became cursed thanks to Wagner.
    We know Altera was real, and in one of her interludes Bryn goes berserk because she catches Kriemhilde's scent from Altera.

Nasu kinda missed an opportunity to treat Sigurd and Siegfried as two different heroine routes from a VN

Blog Entries
    damn that's actually a great idea

There is actually someone who learns the location of the treasure who survives in the myth iirc. A handmaiden with a child of Hagen.

Unrelatedly the Einzberns are apparently the “only pure/real homunculi” or something.

also Hagen in Apo the anime has elf ears for some reason, and the heavens feel is similar to how elementals work.

now that has interesting connotations to the origins of the Einzbern’s creators perhaps.

Not my observations. Some stuff from a friend.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    also Hagen in Apo the anime has elf ears for some reason, and the heavens feel is similar to how elementals work.
    Looking it up, that apparently is drawn from the "Þiðreks Saga" whereby Hagen isn't fully human but fathered by an elf with the Queen whilst the King was away.

The only thing I remember particularly from that Saga was that despite being a Norse oral tale, the written copy was translated from German and so the dragon-slaying hero is referred to both as "Sigurd" and "Siegfried" rather confusingly.

--EDIT--
    Alternatively, it could be another Wagner-ism in which Hagen was fathered by the dwarf Alberich instead. In which case it would be dwarf ears and not elf ears. I dunno, do dwarves typically have pointy ears?
    Last edited by Skull; January 19th, 2021 at 05:50 PM.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    We know Altera was real, and in one of her interludes Bryn goes berserk because she catches Kriemhilde's scent from Altera.
    Altera and Siegfried also talk about how Altera married Kriemhild after he died in one of their interludes, I forget whose.

Plus the leaf that stuck to his back shows up in both Apo and CF.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Altera and Siegfried also talk about how Altera married Kriemhild after he died in one of their interludes, I forget whose.

Plus the leaf that stuck to his back shows up in both Apo and CF.
    Kriemhild marrying "Atli" is a thing in the Nibelungenlied, yeah.

I guess if you take the psuedo-historical route she might also be Ildico and might have assassinated Attila???

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    FWIW, the cursed "Das Rheingold" treasure is from Richard Wagner's opera Der Ring des Nibelungen and not the poem Nibelungenlied.

Carry on.
    "He beheld such store of gems, as we have heard said, that a hundred wains might not bear the lead; still more was there of ruddy gold from the Nibelung land. All this the hand of the daring Siegfried should divide. As a guerdon they gave him the sword of Nibelung, but they were served full ill by the service which the good knight Siegfried should render them. Nor could he end it for them; angry of mood [6] they grew. Twelve bold men of their kith were there, mighty giants these. What might that avail them! Siegfried's hand slew them soon in wrath, and seven hundred warriors from the Nibelung land he vanquished with the good sword Balmung. [7] Because of the great fear that, many a young warrior had of the sword and of the valiant man, they made the land and its castles subject to his hand. Likewise both the mighty kings he slew, but soon he himself was sorely pressed by Alberich. [8] The latter weened to venge straightway his masters, till he then discovered Siegfried's mighty strength; for no match for him was the sturdy dwarf. Like wild lions they ran to the hill, where from Alberich he won the Cloak of Darkness. [9] Thus did Siegfried, the terrible, become master of the hoard; those who had dared the combat, all lay there slain. Soon bade he cart and bear the treasure to the place from whence the men of Nibelung had borne it forth. He made Alberich, the strong, warden of the hoard and bade him swear an oath to serve him as his knave; and fit he was for work of every sort."

To sum things up: while the poem doesn't explicitly describe a supernatural curse upon the gold, every time it shows up in the story, it's associated - directly or indirectly - with acts of violence or treachery. I don't think it's a stretch to describe it as a cursed treasure even in the Nibelungenlied, particularly considering the common motif in medieval literature of treasure bringing ruin to the greedy and foolish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neveron View Post
    Kriemhild marrying "Atli" is a thing in the Nibelungenlied, yeah.
    Atli is actually his name in the Norse sources. In the Nibelungen, he's Etzel.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    And in the Nibelungenlied Kriemhilde is killed in front of Etzel by Hagen's former teacher Hildebrandt after beheading Hagen with Balmung, so she couldn't have assassinated Etzel... Unlike Gudrun?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Had he also been Hagen's teacher? I think he was only Dietrich's old teacher.

What is the size of alaya-universe of awareness/observation?